ADVERTISEMENT

How would you prepare backup QBs if you were the coach?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Full disclosure: I've never played organized football so all of the numbers I'll be using are pure guesses.

Let's assume there are a total of 120 plays in UK's playbook (10 formations/personnel groups x 4 plays per formation x 3 options off those plays). During spring practice, I would identify QB1, 2 3, etc. and their strengths and weaknesses. For QBs 2+, spring ball would also be the time where I identify the, let's say, 3 formations x 4 plays x 2 options of the playbook they will have to execute if called upon. During the summer, their only task would be to know those 24 plays backwards and forwards, what the reads are, the first thru 3rd option on every route tree, what play to check-off to if a blitz is read, etc. During fall practice, their job is to be able to run those 24 plays in their sleep.

QB1 would obviously be tasked with much more of the playbook with perhaps half of it being included in a specific game plan, depending on matchups, weather, tendencies, etc.

In this scenario, QBs 2+ would be so familiar and have so many reps on the limited playbook that is their responsibility that, if called upon, they could step right in with confidence and run some semblance of our offense. QB1 will of course have the bulk of the reps throughout the season, but the backups will practice the same subset of plays throughout the year. Should the starter miss a game then, obviously, QB2 would need to add to the total number of plays he can run, although not the 64 that would normally be expected.

I don't understand why our backup QBs looks so lost and are trusted with nothing unless it's because they have the same number of plays to be proficient at as the starter with significantly fewer reps.

What would you do to have competent backup QBs ready to execute at least a portion of our scheme efficiently?

Full disclosure: I've never played organized football so all of the numbers I'll be using are pure guesses.

Let's assume there are a total of 120 plays in UK's playbook (10 formations/personnel groups x 4 plays per formation x 3 options off those plays). During spring practice, I would identify QB1, 2 3, etc. and their strengths and weaknesses. For QBs 2+, spring ball would also be the time where I identify the, let's say, 3 formations x 4 plays x 2 options of the playbook they will have to execute if called upon. During the summer, their only task would be to know those 24 plays backwards and forwards, what the reads are, the first thru 3rd option on every route tree, what play to check-off to if a blitz is read, etc. During fall practice, their job is to be able to run those 24 plays in their sleep.

QB1 would obviously be tasked with much more of the playbook with perhaps half of it being included in a specific game plan, depending on matchups, weather, tendencies, etc.

In this scenario, QBs 2+ would be so familiar and have so many reps on the limited playbook that is their responsibility that, if called upon, they could step right in with confidence and run some semblance of our offense. QB1 will of course have the bulk of the reps throughout the season, but the backups will practice the same subset of plays throughout the year. Should the starter miss a game then, obviously, QB2 would need to add to the total number of plays he can run, although not the 64 that would normally be expected.

I don't understand why our backup QBs looks so lost and are trusted with nothing unless it's because they have the same number of plays to be proficient at as the starter with significantly fewer reps.

What would you do to have competent backup QBs ready to execute at least a portion of our scheme efficiently?
I consider backup QB's, especially the 1st back up slot to be an understudy. He should know a great majority of the plays just like the starter would. That onus is on him to study during and after practice. He should get a decent chunk of practice time during the week just in case. He should also be spending some amount of time with the starter outside of practice to discuss notes, plays, etc. That way they can discuss routes, other player idiosyncrasies (hey man, on this play, Player X is going to struggle a bit with blocking so keep that in mind.) You should also try to get them a few in game possessions if possible to feel comfortable. Because you never know when your starter could go down. Could be a simple play and BAM. QB is down with a major injury. Or even a minor injury that keeps him out for the game. He should be as close to the starter in performance as possible, but is obviously not going to be exactly the same. That's not feasible.

Bottom line is you pick someone that is hungry, wants to get better and isn't afraid to wait but also learn. And then you have to give them opportunities and reps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT