ADVERTISEMENT

NFL question

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
Does anyone know the order of tiebreakers to reach the NFL playoff?

Isn't it record, then head to head competition, then conference record, then "points scored" if they are deciding between 2 teams in different divisions?

I was kind of perplexed when they announced the Ravens clinched a playoff spot when the Dolphins are still mathematically eligible to tie their record and beat them early in the season. They only showed several teams as mathematically eliminated, but with the Ravens and Chargers clinching their playoff spots, that eliminates the rest of the AFC in divisions that have already been decided, right?

Reactions: Finna_Go_HAM
The NFL has different scenarios based on whether its for a division champion or a wild-card spot - and it depends on the number of teams...

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures

The Ravens are in the playoffs because, even if they lose both remaining games, their record is still good enough to get in (they'd be 10-7). And while the Dolphins could tie the Ravens and hold the tie-breaker over them on head-to-head, the Dolphins are not yet guaranteed a playoff spot - they could finish 8-8 or 8-9 and be out of the playoffs altogether. So, if both the Dolphins and Ravens finish 10-7, Miami would be the higher-seeded team.

But here's where it could change... If the Fins, Ravens and Chargers all finish 10-7, then it goes to the three-team tiebreaker. Since all three are in different divisions and no team beat the other two, then you look at conference record first, then common opponents, etc...

Reactions: Girthang
The NFL has different scenarios based on whether its for a division champion or a wild-card spot - and it depends on the number of teams...

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures

The Ravens are in the playoffs because, even if they lose both remaining games, their record is still good enough to get in (they'd be 10-7). And while the Dolphins could tie the Ravens and hold the tie-breaker over them on head-to-head, the Dolphins are not yet guaranteed a playoff spot - they could finish 8-8 or 8-9 and be out of the playoffs altogether. So, if both the Dolphins and Ravens finish 10-7, Miami would be the higher-seeded team.

But here's where it could change... If the Fins, Ravens and Chargers all finish 10-7, then it goes to the three-team tiebreaker. Since all three are in different divisions and no team beat the other two, then you look at conference record first, then common opponents, etc...

Ok, then I'm right in my confusion. Thank you @Finna_Go_HAM

Unless there 3 wild card spots in the AFC this year then it is kind of early to say that the Chargers or the Ravens have clinched a playoff spot.

If the Ravens lose both of their games, Chargers win both of their games, and Miami wins both of theirs, Miami and the Chargers are in the playoffs.

If the Chargers lose both of theirs, and Miami wins both of theirs, then regardless of what the Ravens do, the Ravens and Miami are in the playoffs. So both the Ravens and Chargers are not guaranteed to be in.

Wonder why the NFL jumped the gun on that, unless they've already decided who's in the playoffs...

Ravens have to rivalry games, one against a good team and one against a struggling team. Not likely to lose both.

Miami plays 2 rivals as well, but maybe without their starting QB for both(?)

Chargers have the easiest 2 games ahead of them of the bunch.

(BTW, @Finna_Go_HAM can you take a look at the standings and check my math? I thought I was in the twilight zone when they declared LAC locked up a wild card.

Ok, then I'm right in my confusion. Thank you @Finna_Go_HAM

Unless there 3 wild card spots in the AFC this year then it is kind of early to say that the Chargers or the Ravens have clinched a playoff spot.

If the Ravens lose both of their games, Chargers win both of their games, and Miami wins both of theirs, Miami and the Chargers are in the playoffs.

If the Chargers lose both of theirs, and Miami wins both of theirs, then regardless of what the Ravens do, the Ravens and Miami are in the playoffs. So both the Ravens and Chargers are not guaranteed to be in.

Wonder why the NFL jumped the gun on that, unless they've already decided who's in the playoffs...

Ravens have to rivalry games, one against a good team and one against a struggling team. Not likely to lose both.

Miami plays 2 rivals as well, but maybe without their starting QB for both(?)

Chargers have the easiest 2 games ahead of them of the bunch.

(BTW, @Finna_Go_HAM can you take a look at the standings and check my math? I thought I was in the twilight zone when they declared LAC locked up a wild card.
You’re off base here. 7 teams make the playoffs in each conference. Right now, the Ravens (10 wins) and Chargers (9 wins) are guaranteed a spot in the playoffs based on a number of things.

You’re off base here. 7 teams make the playoffs in each conference. Right now, the Ravens (10 wins) and Chargers (9 wins) are guaranteed a spot in the playoffs based on a number of things.

So show me. I've made my points based on what the situation is. How is it impossible for the Dolphins to make the playoffs, which is the implication of the Ravens and Chargers being locks for them?

So show me. I've made my points based on what the situation is. How is it impossible for the Dolphins to make the playoffs, which is the implication of the Ravens and Chargers being locks for them?

Not sure what youre missing here
7 in
4 division winners and 3 wildcards
Lac and balt will be 2 of them regardless of what they do .. Miami can be the 3rd and can still have seed 5-7

That's what I asked in my second post... lol.

"Unless there 3 wild card spots in the AFC this year"...

I haven't been following the NFL that closely for a couple years, watching a few games when I can is all, so I didn't realize there were 3 wild card teams. Thanks for setting me straight.

That's what I asked in my second post... lol.

"Unless there 3 wild card spots in the AFC this year"...

I haven't been following the NFL that closely for a couple years, watching a few games when I can is all, so I didn't realize there were 3 wild card teams. Thanks for setting me straight.
Lol I seen this yesterday and and had the same thoughts before remembering the extra team.

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT