ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year's Class

Feb 12, 2013
OK, OK we haven't even played our first game under Pope and don't even have all the positions for this year filled. Most importantly, this isn't a Cal team anymore where we are going to rely solely on Freshmen.

Nevertheless, Pope did so well in delivering a balenced, if not the most talented team via the portal. Of course, this is Kentucky and summertime is recruiting time. So I want to start the class preditions now.

I know highlights can be misleading, but I really like the 2025 class players Coach seems to be after. Most of them are very fluid in movement and shoot well. If I had my druthers, I would take (based on the most recent highlights I can find and the recruits Pope appears to be targeting)

• Tounde Yessoufou - SF or PF - Originally, I wasn't sold on him, because you need to be able to shoot it some from the wing, However, that dude seems to embody the hard work mentality you want on your team. I love that his highlight videos showed several steals and hustle plays, because that seems to be what he is all about. His shot doesn't look broken, but that wasn't the focus of his videos. So, I assume he is not a great shooter. You don't want to be the guy meeting him at the rim. He takes it to the rack with authority. Likely a multiple year guy, if infact he can't shoot the 3 above 32%-33%.
  • PT or SG - Mikel Brown - Could be wrong, but he can shoot, handle, and dish, quick, but not hurried all very important traits for a superior point.
  • SG, PT, SF - Jasper Johnson - Good shooter, Combo with size, length and athleticism, Ky kid
  • Nate Ament - PF, SF - Long, athletic, not necessarily a driver, but can drive off a shot fake because he seems to be a really good shooter(he made 100% on the highlight video)😁. He may have a lot of misses that were not recorded, but his team seamed to make him a point of emphasis and he makes a lot of threes
  • Chris Cenac- PF, C - Quick, athletic, fluid, even though he is not muscular, does not seem to shy away from contact. I also think he could be a multiple year guy.
  • Alternates -
    • Malachi Moreno - C, PF - Very good size and strength, only reason I didn't pick him over Cenac is that Cenac just seems to be so much more active, quick, and aggressive. I could be very wrong, he may end up being the better prospect than Cenac - If we get either, I would be happy. Likely a muli-year guy.
    • Hudson Greer - SF, SG - Plays hard all the time. Even though some of the videos play up his athletisicm, which is above average, I think it is just his willingness to be aggressive and have no fear that sets him apart for me. Good shooter, plays to win. Also a likely candidat for a second or third year.
I really don't think AJ or Peterson are Pope guys. I would love to be wrong, but I think Pope is looking for kids that are just as much about winning as they are brand. These days, there really isn't anyone who doesn't try to create their own brand. So, that maybe me just making excuses as to why we won't get them.

Pope is going to be about how the pieces fit together as much as the individual talent. I think that means we may not get the very highest ranked players, as those guys tend to be looking for how "They" can be the entire focus of the team. I am fine with getting the tier right below the top 5-10, as long as we are not relying on them to completely carry the team every year. Most of these guys are 10-40 right now, but it depends on the service you are looking at.

I am probably way off base, but it is fun guessing.

Who do you think we will end up with and why?

Reactions: will1976
I really think Moreno will be a Cat.

I feel like Johnson and Moreno are must gets. Can’t let the local talent get away.

I also like us to land Yessoufou.

Coach probably signs at least 5 guys. I’m guessing: Johnson, Moreno, Yessoufou, Greer, and Ament.

Hopefully we get Oweh, Garrison, Chandler, Perry, and Noah back.

Then find a good PG and PF in the portal to round out the roster.

I really think Moreno will be a Cat.

I feel like Johnson and Moreno are must gets. Can’t let the local talent get away.

I also like us to land Yessoufou.

Coach probably signs at least 5 guys. I’m guessing: Johnson, Moreno, Yessoufou, Greer, and Ament.

Hopefully we get Oweh, Garrison, Chandler, Perry, and Noah back.

Then find a good PG and PF in the portal to round out the roster.

I’ll be really (pleasantly) surprised if Yessoufou chooses us over AZ. Just feel like he’s gonna be pushed in that direction.

I’m hoping 3 or so years from now we’ve developed enough continuity to only need to sign about 3 or so freshmen. First couple of years will be outliers in term is roster turnover imo.

OK, OK we haven't even played our first game under Pope and don't even have all the positions for this year filled. Most importantly, this isn't a Cal team anymore where we are going to rely solely on Freshmen.

Nevertheless, Pope did so well in delivering a balenced, if not the most talented team via the portal. Of course, this is Kentucky and summertime is recruiting time. So I want to start the class preditions now.

I know highlights can be misleading, but I really like the 2025 class players Coach seems to be after. Most of them are very fluid in movement and shoot well. If I had my druthers, I would take (based on the most recent highlights I can find and the recruits Pope appears to be targeting)

• Tounde Yessoufou - SF or PF - Originally, I wasn't sold on him, because you need to be able to shoot it some from the wing, However, that dude seems to embody the hard work mentality you want on your team. I love that his highlight videos showed several steals and hustle plays, because that seems to be what he is all about. His shot doesn't look broken, but that wasn't the focus of his videos. So, I assume he is not a great shooter. You don't want to be the guy meeting him at the rim. He takes it to the rack with authority. Likely a multiple year guy, if infact he can't shoot the 3 above 32%-33%.
  • PT or SG - Mikel Brown - Could be wrong, but he can shoot, handle, and dish, quick, but not hurried all very important traits for a superior point.
  • SG, PT, SF - Jasper Johnson - Good shooter, Combo with size, length and athleticism, Ky kid
  • Nate Ament - PF, SF - Long, athletic, not necessarily a driver, but can drive off a shot fake because he seems to be a really good shooter(he made 100% on the highlight video)😁. He may have a lot of misses that were not recorded, but his team seamed to make him a point of emphasis and he makes a lot of threes
  • Chris Cenac- PF, C - Quick, athletic, fluid, even though he is not muscular, does not seem to shy away from contact. I also think he could be a multiple year guy.
  • Alternates -
    • Malachi Moreno - C, PF - Very good size and strength, only reason I didn't pick him over Cenac is that Cenac just seems to be so much more active, quick, and aggressive. I could be very wrong, he may end up being the better prospect than Cenac - If we get either, I would be happy. Likely a muli-year guy.
    • Hudson Greer - SF, SG - Plays hard all the time. Even though some of the videos play up his athletisicm, which is above average, I think it is just his willingness to be aggressive and have no fear that sets him apart for me. Good shooter, plays to win. Also a likely candidat for a second or third year.
I really don't think AJ or Peterson are Pope guys. I would love to be wrong, but I think Pope is looking for kids that are just as much about winning as they are brand. These days, there really isn't anyone who doesn't try to create their own brand. So, that maybe me just making excuses as to why we won't get them.

Pope is going to be about how the pieces fit together as much as the individual talent. I think that means we may not get the very highest ranked players, as those guys tend to be looking for how "They" can be the entire focus of the team. I am fine with getting the tier right below the top 5-10, as long as we are not relying on them to completely carry the team every year. Most of these guys are 10-40 right now, but it depends on the service you are looking at.

I am probably way off base, but it is fun guessing.

Who do you think we will end up with and why?
Peterson and his father have been doing zoom calls with Pope
from what i was told they are in a wait-n-see mode

Reactions: Fox2monk
I’m hoping 3 or so years from now we’ve developed enough continuity to only need to sign about 3 or so freshmen. First couple of years will be outliers in term is roster turnover imo.
That would be nice, but I worry NIL and the almighty dollar are going to keep that from happening. Athletes are going to want a pay raise every year. That may only be possible by going elsewhere. College athletics have changed forever! If you had long term contracts with incentives, you could expect something. Without that agents are going to try and maximize $ by moving every year. Really really sad.

That would be nice, but I worry NIL and the almighty dollar are going to keep that from happening. Athletes are going to want a pay raise every year. That may only be possible by going elsewhere. College athletics have changed forever! If you had long term contracts with incentives, you could expect something. Without that agents are going to try and maximize $ by moving every year. Really really sad.

Ya, maybe. I think the culture and targeting the right people helps as well. UCONN, Purdue, UNC, Houston are just a few of many teams last year that have had a lot of continuity.

Reactions: NerlensCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT