ADVERTISEMENT

I'm having mixed emotions about Pope's first season at UK ...

Year 1 was set up very well with the last year of Covid redshirts combined with NIL exploding. I predict Pope overachieves expectations with an E8/FF run due to a great combo of talent/experience. That will heap expectations on him and everyone will be expecting a championship and soon. So year 2 where we’ve lost a lot (and be prepared for couple transfers too…but we lose 7 minimum. With at least one transfer, Cats would return 3-4 players maximum. Plus Garrison could be off to the league.) I think the year 2 rebuild will be more future driven trying to build like UNC getting top 40 recruits who plan to develop in college.

I think year 2 we’ll be in the NIT, but the start of a new culture with 7-8 players returning with a few more top 40 recruits ready to mix in. That’s gonna freak some people out to lose like that. It’s how it woulda been this year if not for the unique set of circumstances. Pope saw an opportunity to hit the ground running by loading up on graduate transfers and have a dark horse contender in year 1. I really don’t think he wants reload rebuilds every year, and I know for damn sure it’s not what we as fans want. There’s a chance that could be reality whether we like it or not if NIL continues to give reason for players to shop their name around every off season, but Pope is clearly going to be a “Kentucky First” coach plus an NIL budget to keep players in place, a budget which will only expand with early results. It’s going to take some patience after this year, but it’ll be super rewarding when Pope has a team in year 6 that is an experienced unit of 3-4 year high level players that raise a National Championship banner and run a clinic on slightly more talented teams with mercenary pieces.

I'm having mixed emotions about my birthday party next year which hasn't even happened yet but it's important that everyone know how conflicted I am about it. On one hand I could go for for all tequila with mixers, on the other hand I could just get a cooler stocked with beer. And should I have a surprise party, but if I'm planning it, that's not going to be much of a surprise, right? Gosh, so much to think about out loud in this very important post.

• Haha
Reactions: CatsDomain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT