ADVERTISEMENT

New starting five

Cal has said in the past that he wants to win with five Freshmen starters, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he started:

Dillingham
Wagner
Edwards
Bradshaw
Ivisic

Just to say he won a title (if he wins one) with five Freshmen starters.

Remember in 2014 he started Freshman Johnson over Sophomore WCS when WCS was the better player, just to say he could win with five Freshmen.

Cal has said in the past that he wants to win with five Freshmen starters, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he started:

Dillingham
Wagner
Edwards
Bradshaw
Ivisic

Just to say he won a title (if he wins one) with five Freshmen starters.

Remember in 2014 he started Freshman Johnson over Sophomore WCS when WCS was the better player, just to say he could win with five Freshmen.
I think it was also to try and motivate WCS to get his a$$ in gear. Willie would have stretches where he would just disappear.

Reactions: chroix
I wanted him fired 5 years ago and call for it each every single hour of every day sitting here on August 8, 2023. He has more damage to the UK basketball program than any coach in history. No European or 5-star 17 year old prospect will ever change that.
I wasn’t going to reply to this, but I have to say, fans like you damage UK, its reputation, and its program.

No wonder kids leave early. Would you want to stick around and be treated like shit by “fans” like you?

If Bradshaw is healthy and has time to practice and get back into game shape before the season starts, I think it is...

Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Mitchell
Bradshaw

with an absolutely stacked bench behind that.
Yep. This is what reality SHOULD be to maximize our roster assuming Bradshaw is good to go and actually plays and his camp doesn’t force the issue of him being a 4.

My gut tells me Cal bends the knee to Bradshaw camp and keeps the “promise” that AB will be a 4 and Ivisic will be our starting 5. Mitchell the first big off the bench (which I think is criminal givin his showing in Canada as Mitchell will likely be the better college player between him and AB). Really hope I’m wrong bc Bradshaw is a perfect college 5 and Ivisic gives you a sub w minimal if any drop off. Bradshaw can get minutes at the 4 to give Mitchell a breather. Rote are Ivisic/Mitchell/Bradshaw at the 4/5…NEVER the 3 please; too much guard talent to have a true forward playing the 3 (unless you consider Edwards a true forward but tk me he’s a hybrid G/F)

I wanted him fired 5 years ago and call for it each every single hour of every day sitting here on August 8, 2023. He has more damage to the UK basketball program than any coach in history. No European or 5-star 17 year old prospect will ever change that.
9posts and you called for something every day. You must be a new born baby

Wagner
Edwards
Bradshaw
Mitchell
Ugo/Ivisic

Reeves is first off the bench

I wasn’t going to reply to this, but I have to say, fans like you damage UK, its reputation, and its program.

No wonder kids leave early. Would you want to stick around and be treated like shit by “fans” like you?
You think the fans are the ones doing the damage? Same fans that pack every arena? Same fans that seek out any and all information 24/7/365? Same fans that keep UK in the prime time slot whenever thay play, regardless of all the losing and embarrassment Cal has created?

The fans have more than done their part, Calipari has not.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Wagner
Edwards
Bradshaw
Mitchell
Ugo/Ivisic

Reeves is first off the bench
No way Ugo starts. Reeves will 100% be a starter, Ugo might get cleanup minutes, his injury put the final nail in that.
I don't think Ivisic is a starter either, especially with his late start.
Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Bradshaw
Mitchell.

Last edited:
You think the fans are the ones doing the damage? Same fans that pack every arena? Same fans that seek out any and all information 24/7/365? Same fans that keep UK in the prime time slot whenever thay play, regardless of all the losing and embarrassment Cal has created?

The fans have more than done their part, Calipari has not.
A small percentage of our fans attend games. We are talking less than 1%.

Unfortunately, even though “fans” like you are also in the minority, you get your voice heard through social media. Just because you seek information doesn’t mean you use it nicely.

You are a joke.

Reactions: cat888
No way Ugo starts. Reeves will 100% be a starter, Ugo might get cleanup minutes, his injury put the final nail in that.
I don't tjink Ivisic is a staryer either, especially with his late start.
Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Bradshaw
Mitchell.
I agree about Ivisic and the late start hurting him, but the same can be said for Bradshaw and Onyenso with their injuries.

It’s really looking like it’s going to be “5 man by committee” early on for us.

May not matter who starts, as all three (once healthy) will probably play a little.

If none or only one is ready, it might be Mitchell at the 5 for the majority of the time.

It is great that people are optimistic about the season. But I think it would be wise to slow down just a little. Keep in mind the rest of the SEC also gives scholarships. Summer scrimmages in Canada, high school honors and star rankings don't win games. It is safe to say that some of the guys on our young team will struggle when the bright lights come on. It happens every year. I would like to see how this team rebounds and defends against the SEC big boys before I give them a trophy.

Reactions: kyjeff1
A small percentage of our fans attend games. We are talking less than 1%.

Unfortunately, even though “fans” like you are also in the minority, you get your voice heard through social media. Just because you seek information doesn’t mean you use it nicely.

You are a joke.
Go ahead and sit behind that keyboard and call me that, you would be really quiet if we were standing in the same room together.

Yeah, I'm a joke because I have an issue with the job Cal has done the last 5 years. You are the joke if you are okay with.

I agree about Ivisic and the late start hurting him, but the same can be said for Bradshaw and Onyenso with their injuries.

It’s really looking like it’s going to be “5 man by committee” early on for us.

May not matter who starts, as all three (once healthy) will probably play a little.

If none or only one is ready, it might be Mitchell at the 5 for the majority of the time.
Yeah, I just think Ivisic is used to playing a different style and he is going to need to bulk up some.

I think the 5 spot is going to be Mitchell's to lose. Bradshaw will most likely start at the 4.

Ugo was never on track to be a major contributor this year, I think he'll get spot minutes and be ready for 24/25.

Yeah, I just think Ivisic is used to playing a different style and he is going to need to bulk up some.

I think the 5 spot is going to be Mitchell's to lose. Bradshaw will most likely start at the 4.

Ugo was never on track to be a major contributor this year, I think he'll get spot minutes and be ready for 24/25.
We probably don’t have a true center and I hope that Cal understands this. We will be a good 5 out team, if Cal will play that way. Neither Bradshaw nor Mitchell are going to score a lot in the low post.

We probably don’t have a true center and I hope that Cal understands this. We will be a good 5 out team, if Cal will play that way. Neither Bradshaw nor Mitchell are going to score a lot in the low post.
If Cal even attempts to run his stupid post offense with this team, it will prove just how hard headed he is. I'll lose all interest.

People that have Reeves coming off the bench are delusional. I'll go with Wagner, Reeves, Edwards,Mitchell and Ivisec to start the season.
I agree 100% on the first 4. Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, and Mitchell are locks IMO. Bradshaw or Ivisic? I'm not so sure. Both players are getting late starts and are behind a little bit in court time with teammates. I could see early on...first few games...where Thiero may start. I really like what I saw in Canada from him. His physicality is needed on the court. But, ultimately Bradshaw and Ivisic will get the bulk of time in that final spot.

I agree 100% on the first 4. Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, and Mitchell are locks IMO. Bradshaw or Ivisic? I'm not so sure. Both players are getting late starts and are behind a little bit in court time with teammates. I could see early on...first few games...where Thiero may start. I really like what I saw in Canada from him. His physicality is needed on the court. But, ultimately Bradshaw and Ivisic will get the bulk of time in that final spot.
To start the season, I look for it to be a “5 man by committee” approach.

The frontcourt rotation at the start of the season is probably going to look something like this (if Onyenso and Bradshaw are both available):

PF Mitchell(25)/Thiero(15)
C Bradshaw(15)/Ivisic(15)/Onyenso(10)

Someone will end up falling out of the rotation, once we get into SEC play.

Cal will probably decide to either bench Onyenso or Thiero and increase the minutes he gives Bradshaw and Ivisic. With our lack of true frontcourt players, I would almost bet Thiero will be odd man out. Cal will play Bradshaw at the 4 a lot.

Ivisic and Mitchell aren't starting together. Maybe later in the year, but I doubt it. Mitchell will start at the 5 with Ivisic backing him up early in the season.

Ivisic and Mitchell aren't starting together. Maybe later in the year, but I doubt it. Mitchell will start at the 5 with Ivisic backing him up early in the season.
I can see that...with Thiero being the "4". But only early (and I mean real early) in the season. Calipari will want one of the 7 footers on the floor for rim protection. He won't get that from Mitchell. IF IF IF Bradshaw and Ivisic are indeed behind the other guys during practices until the 1st game, I can see Thiero in starting lineup. But, it won't last. Bradshaw or Ivisic will eventually work their way into that fifth starting spot.

Game 1: Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, Thiero, Mitchell
Shortly after (maybe Game 2): Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, Mitchell, Bradshaw with Ivisic getting plenty of time in the rotation.

I can see that...with Thiero being the "4". But only early (and I mean real early) in the season. Calipari will want one of the 7 footers on the floor for rim protection. He won't get that from Mitchell. IF IF IF Bradshaw and Ivisic are indeed behind the other guys during practices until the 1st game, I can see Thiero in starting lineup. But, it won't last. Bradshaw or Ivisic will eventually work their way into that fifth starting spot.

Game 1: Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, Thiero, Mitchell
Shortly after (maybe Game 2): Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, Mitchell, Bradshaw with Ivisic getting plenty of time in the rotation.
I could definitely see this happening.

IF,IF,IF Z is good enough to start then we can contend for a title if we stay relatively healthy. I think the reality is that we are over rating this kid(not saying he won't contribute but starting is a big ask)

Reactions: warrior-cat
We have some pretty good talent right now but, that does not mean it will translate into a good team. The poster slamming other posters fanship either has a short memory or is a Cal family member.

Injuries, etc aside I see the starting 5 as
DJ Wagner
Antonio Reeves
Justin Edwards
Tre Mitchell
Aaron Bradshaw

Reactions: jjsomer
Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Mitchell
Ivisiv

Thats going to present major problems for college basketball.

Thats 5 guys that can make threes.

Best starting five in America, regardless of what the pundits claim.

The naysayers will have to face the music sooner rather than later.

Rank UK preseason #1 or be left with pie in the face; those are their 2 choices.
Only sunshine pumpers cut down the nets in August. Take a look at what Cal has done with great recruiting classes in the past and face reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT