HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Mitchell
Ivisiv

Thats going to present major problems for college basketball.

Thats 5 guys that can make threes.

Best starting five in America, regardless of what the pundits claim.

The naysayers will have to face the music sooner rather than later.

Rank UK preseason #1 or be left with pie in the face; those are their 2 choices.

Last edited:
Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Ivisiv
Bradshaw

Not one but two stretch 7 footers.
Talk about “modern” basketball

Thats going to present major problems for college basketball.

Thats also 5 guys that can make threes.

Best starting five in America, regardless of what the pundits claim.

The naysayers will have to face the music sooner rather than later.

Rank UK preseason #1 or be left with pie in the face; those are their 2 choices.
You're absolutely CRAZY if you think Trey Mitchell isn't Starting.

For me, there are 3 written in stone: Mitchell, Sheppard, and Reeves. The Old Souls of the team.

For the other 2 positions, I guess Edwards and one of the Tall Guys. We haven't seen the Tall Guys in action so which one will make it is a mystery. Edwards shoots well, but seems to get passive from time to time. I bet Thiero presses him because Thiero is always on. Wagner and Dillingham monopolize the ball, and movement and attack are key in a 4 or 5 out offense. When they learn Pass First they'll be more valuable and play more.

For me, there are 3 written in stone: Mitchell, Sheppard, and Reeves. The Old Souls of the team.

For the other 2 positions, I guess Edwards and one of the Tall Guys. We haven't seen the Tall Guys in action so which one will make it is a mystery. Edwards shoots well, but seems to get passive from time to time. I bet Thiero presses him because Thiero is always on. Wagner and Dillingham monopolize the ball, and movement and attack are key in a 4 or 5 out offense. When they learn Pass First they'll be more valuable and play more.
You really believe Sheppard is going to start over Wagner? Not gonna happen. Sheppard will come off the bench but get his minutes as long as we see something close to what he did in Canada. Wagner us our #1 PG though.

I love that we have Sheppard on the team, but I think he will struggle early once we start to face true college players and then SEC caliber players. But I then fully expect him to adjust to the speed and physicality of the game and become a great asset off the bench.

Wagner will adjust sooner and will quickly become one of the premier players in CBB. His shot won't always fall, but it doesn't have to for him to have a huge impact on the game.

Dilly is who I'm worried about. I really, really like the kid, but I'm just trying to figure out how and where he fits. Doing the math, I can't figure out where his minutes are going to come from. He's not taking minutes from Reeves or Wagner. And I don't believe he'll take Sheppard's minutes once we're into the season.

Shep is a wet behind the ear freshman. Old soul my ass.

I'm shocked we somehow won the gold medal game with him playing so poorly as he is white Michael Jordan according to thus forum.

I'm shocked we somehow won the gold medal game with him playing so poorly as he is white Michael Jordan according to thus forum.
He did play poorly in the final. 3 or 4 quick turnovers.

I thought Wagner played well.No reason he shouldn't start.
I was pretty impressed with Wagner seeing as they practiced, what, maybe two weeks as a team? I see him being the key to our success this year and will just get better with time.

I was hugely impressed with Wagner.

14 PPG and 5 APG in 30 minutes, in his first ever games against any competition beyond high school?

Yeah, he looked sharp.

Dillingham was my question mark going in. I wondered if he would have a Freshman Eric Bledsoe type impact, or a freshman Immanuel Quickley type impact.

Think the jury is still out on that- I think he obviously won't have an Eric Bledsoe type year on this team, but could provide more than a freshman Quickley did.

I think it’s a good roster, but our youth is going to be a huge issue against good teams, especially early on.
I haven't seen the schedule yet, but I know we have some really tough games (KU, Gonzaga, uNC, UT twice, Bama, Arkansas twice, Miami etc… ), so I'm not sure we should be thinking this is going to be a 30 win team.
I'm predicting 23-9-ish and that’s being generous.

Last edited:
I figure there will be a lot of different combinations of starters throughout the year.

If everyone is healthy, I think the opening day starting five will be:

Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Mitchell
Bradshaw

That’s the the three highest ranked Freshmen plus the two fifth year grad students.

Good mix of talent and experience.

You really believe Sheppard is going to start over Wagner? Not gonna happen. Sheppard will come off the bench but get his minutes as long as we see something close to what he did in Canada. Wagner us our #1 PG though.
Not a chance in hell Sheppard starts

Reactions: ORCAT
Ivisic makes us like the Auburn team with Kessler. And they were a tough team to beat. Ivisic is pretty athletic but you don't have to be the greatest athlete to be a presence when you're 7'2. And given that we're loaded at all 4 other positions, I'm getting excited.

3 months ago, you would have thought we were going to have to forfeit the season according to the posters here….

Funny, I don’t see anyone calling for Cal’s head now. Our fanbase (if that is what you can call many of the people that share their thoughts here) may be the most shortsighted group in the world.

Agreed. Don’t think Reed plays much until 2025.

3 months ago, you would have thought we were going to have to forfeit the season according to the posters here….

Funny, I don’t see anyone calling for Cal’s head now. Our fanbase (if that is what you can call many of the people that share their thoughts here) may be the most shortsighted group in the world.
I wanted him fired 5 years ago and call for it each every single hour of every day sitting here on August 8, 2023. He has more damage to the UK basketball program than any coach in history. No European or 5-star 17 year old prospect will ever change that.

I wanted him fired 5 years ago and call for it each every single hour of every day sitting here on August 8, 2023. He has more damage to the UK basketball program than any coach in history. No European or 5-star 17 year old prospect will ever change that.

Dude you aren't a UK fan, you're a Kansas fan who made a burner yesterday.

You wanted him fired in 2018? Where in 8 seasons he had been to 4 Final Fours, 2 national title games, 2 Elite Eights and a national championship??

That's one of the best 8 year runs a college head coach has ever had in history...but you wanted him fired?

We all know you aren't a Kentucky fan- go back to the Kansas boards and call it a day. Weird way to spend your time.

Dillingham has a lot more moisture behind the ears imo. Reed won't start we all know that. But he needs to get minutes in front of Dilly as he is a work in progress as well as a few more. Promises made and they will be kept regardless of the games outcome imo.

It will be fun to watch how things unfold rotation wise, this season. We look really deep on paper. Everyone gets back healthy, it’s hard to imagine who will play and who won’t. Cal isn’t playing everyone and somebody is going to barely see the floor that a lot of people think should play. That’s just how it almost always works out with Cal.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
Agreed. Don’t think Reed plays much until 2025.
I believe the guard rotation will be much like in Canada. Reed will play because he brings things the other two don't, a better 3 pt shooter and gets steals. But he will not start. I think Cal will want to play fast and press some. He will need to keep the guards rested. I think Welch will keep Cal from his habit of reverting back (always think of a grape juice bottle when writing his name).

I actually think Mitchell comes off the bench. He'll play about 22-25 minutes/game, but we'll wish he played more.

I think it's too tempting for Cal to start Bradshaw and Ivisic together. This might be the second time in Cal's tenure that I'm okay with two 6'10"+ guys starting together (2015, being the other).

I actually think Mitchell comes off the bench. He'll play about 22-25 minutes/game, but we'll wish he played more.

I think it's too tempting for Cal to start Bradshaw and Ivisic together. This might be the second time in Cal's tenure that I'm okay with two 6'10"+ guys starting together (2015, being the other).
Would be intriguing to say the least. Two highly skilled 7 footers starting. Don’t think any team in the country can match that.

It's exciting that we have so many combinations to pick from. I haven't been this pumped for a season to start in a very long time. I'm still trying to NOT get too excited yet, but it's hard not to with the roster we have. And like someone else said, I think (hope) Welch might help keep Cal from reverting back to his old ways.

GO CATS!!!💙💙💙💙💙

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT