ADVERTISEMENT

New NCAA president Proposes Direct Payments to Athletes

canebreak

Senior
Jan 26, 2004
I think we are going off the charts now. Most schools spend everything they make already. In the case of UK they actually give back part of their revenue to the school. There is nothing left to pay after all the programs it supports. Paying coaches hundreds of thousands in sports that don't make money. I assume most power 5 schools are in a similar place or even worse off since we are in the SEC.

When are folks gonna realize the schools are not making a big profit....they are not. NIL is different and folks don't seem to understand. These kids are getting over 100 k in scholarship money and that does not include all the amenities of a D1 athlete. I will never understand. I totally agree with NIL money, but why does the school need to get involved. Go cut a deal with any business you like and get your money, but don't involve the school.

NCAA goin' all big-pimpin

giphy.gif

This seems like it would just professionalize high division one sports and set up separate rules for them and the lower schools.

Really not a bad idea in theory.

Essentially would make the NCAA only relevant to minor schools and the major schools would take care of themselves.

I’m not sure if they realize it, but it seems as if though this idea will actually be the end of the NCAA if implemented.

This seems like it would just professionalize high division one sports and set up separate rules for them and the lower schools.
It already is professionalized. There are billions of dollars of TV money at stake in college athletics now. Soon we'll have two giant super conferences with TV deals for each. Fox will get the B1G and ESPN the SEC. College Football is just turning into a Super League where any team outside the soon to be Big 2 gets left out of the real postseason. And college basketball is not far behind. Start enjoying your NCAA tournaments because the tournament in it's current format isn't long for this world.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It already is professionalized. There are billions of dollars of TV money at stake in college athletics now. Soon we'll have two giant super conferences with TV deals for each. Fox will get the B1G and ESPN the SEC. College Football is just turning into a Super League where any team outside the soon to be Big 2 gets left out of the real postseason. And college basketball is not far behind. Start enjoying your NCAA tournaments because the tournament in it's current format isn't long for this world.

It is but not to the extent that this idea would bring. The article makes it seem like it would be no different than a professional league. Right now schools cannot do anything with their money for the players.

Imagine the yankees keeping every dollar they make from tickets, tv sales, concessions and then telling the players to seek sponsorships for pay. That is the difference between now and what could happen if this idea goes in place.

At least that is how I read it.

They start THAT crap, and I'm done following collegiate sports at the NCAA level. You're there to get a damn education, that's why it's called college and university. If you don't care about that, then get the hell out. And these threads about NBA players putting up numbers. I wonder if those posters even care about UK.

Reactions: Bluesbrother
You have the financial equation backwards at least in terms of the University of Kentucky Athletics Department. Football and basketball bring in enormous wads of money, especially football being tied to the SEC football money-making machine. They easily pay for themselves and for all the programs that don’t make money, then still give millions back to the university for academics. In this new hypothetical paradigm they would just pay a little more for themselves in that equation and give a little less towards academics in the end.

Really not a bad idea in theory.

Essentially would make the NCAA only relevant to minor schools and the major schools would take care of themselves.

I’m not sure if they realize it, but it seems as if though this idea will actually be the end of the NCAA if implemented.
They are already professionalized. I think it should be formalized with contracts. You sign, you sign for a minimum of 3 years. Monetary penalties for transfer. No play, no pay, excepting injury. Agents to be approved by NCAA.

• Love
Reactions: Fox2monk and deep3
They are already professionalized. I think it should be formalized with contracts. You sign, you sign for a minimum of 3 years. Monetary penalties for transfer. No play, no pay, excepting injury. Agents to be approved by NCAA.

I like that idea better than what is going on now, but would have to hold the schools accountable as well. I assume that would be in the contact. Now I believe scholarships are able to be revoked annually.

There would have to be clarity on that. The current system of go to the highest bidder is wildly unsustainable, at least I hope so.

I like that idea better than what is going on now, but would have to hold the schools accountable as well. I assume that would be in the contact. Now I believe scholarships are able to be revoked annually.

There would have to be clarity on that. The current system of go to the highest bidder is wildly unsustainable, at least I hope so.
They better get it under control before they unionize. Unions ALWAYS start where you are and negotiate up.

Yes, contracts would do a lot to stop this madness. That would cut the legs out from under the portal insanity too.

My preference would be to return to some sort of amateur status with perhaps trusts established to be paid after 4 years.

Reactions: Jont0805
You have the financial equation backwards at least in terms of the University of Kentucky Athletics Department. Football and basketball bring in enormous wads of money, especially football being tied to the SEC football money-making machine. They easily pay for themselves and for all the programs that don’t make money, then still give millions back to the university for academics. In this new hypothetical paradigm they would just pay a little more for themselves in that equation and give a little less towards academics in the end.
Maybe but I am not sure if it is only a "little more". The proposal ask for 30k to be set aside for at least half the athletes at the university. I don't know how many UK has but it is likely 600 or so. Then they need to set aside about 10M per year.

They start THAT crap, and I'm done following collegiate sports at the NCAA level. You're there to get a damn education, that's why it's called college and university. If you don't care about that, then get the hell out. And these threads about NBA players putting up numbers. I wonder if those posters even care about UK.
There are no responsible people in control of anything anymore. It's just about the money and it's out of control. Let all these OAD wannabes go straight to the league if that's what they want and those who go to college stay for 4 years and get a degree. The idea is to develop and educate student/athletes for careers after college. As it is now, the NBA "uses" college for a one-year audition for their draft selection. Let the NBA pay these players to go to the G League for their farm system for that audition. College basketball has been hijacked by these pinheads. I would prefer to have college basketball played by genuine student/athletes and not OAD NBA dreamers who gobble up scholarships deserved by real college student/athletes intent on working on a degree and staying for four years. This would also get rid of fraudsters like Calipari as well. JMO.

Reactions: NociHTTP
That will be the final death knell of college athletics. Ridiculous. They're already getting NIL in amounts far greater than most of the populace and especially more than any other student on campus. They're also already getting a free education, free room and board, and other benefits.

I'm all for NIL and them making money of their name. But direct payments is where I personally draw the line.

I'm against it as well. However, part of these guys educations is learning to play basketball at a high level. Just like any other learning path (becoming a teacher, doctor, etc.) You go to school to learn to be a professional at something. They just chose basketball. So I'm ok with using NBA to help recruit to a point. All schools do that in respects. Eastman is a renowned music school. They use professional orchestras to promote their institution all the time. BUT, while you are there it's about using and developing your skills to promote and make Eastman excellent. And they focus on their students, developing them while promoting the school. It's quid pro quo.

Cal's issue is he's focused TOO much on developing the kids only for the NBA and not both UK and the NBA.

And also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with promoting our guys in the NBA and celebrating that too. 99% of them are good UK alumns that give back and come back to support UK as well (John Wall for example)

Another result of this idea would surely be the end of all men’s non-revenue sports I would imagine.

Why set aside $30,000 extra for each athlete on campus.

I would imagine have 85 scholarship football players, 13 scholarship basketball players

98 women’s sports participants on scholarship to satisfy title 9

Have all other sports operate on academic scholarships.

Who knows though. With the money these schools bring in they can probably still afford to do it all.

Exactly. This would stop the madness of transfers. I've been screaming this forever. Put em on salary, sign em to a contract, and nip the transfer portal in the bud.

It would also help curb NIL bidding wars. If players are locked into a contract to be at a school, sponsorships wouldn't have to constantly up their bids year after year if a player has success.

Honestly the only people this hurts are coaches with astronomical salaries. That money won't be available anymore.

Schools should band together and create their own college sports tv network. Why have espn and fox as middlemen? Plenty of money to be made. Let fox and espn stick to pro sports.
Become a broadcasting company in addition to their alleged status as an educational institution.

This would make a handful of schools running the whole show. It says 30k at minimum per athlete, but no maximum. So this would really cut into the parity of the sports if the Texas/Alabama/Michigan/Ohio State/Oklahoma/Oregons of the world putting in 200k or more per athlete....

NIL already makes them paid professionals. just means they’ll be getting a bigger paycheck. “student athlete” is now “employee athlete”.

Exactly. This would stop the madness of transfers. I've been screaming this forever. Put em on salary, sign em to a contract, and nip the transfer portal in the bud.

It would also help curb NIL bidding wars. If players are locked into a contract to be at a school, sponsorships wouldn't have to constantly up their bids year after year if a player has success.

Honestly the only people this hurts are coaches with astronomical salaries. That money won't be available anymore.
Different pot of gold. I expect KY’s Nil outlay exceeds coaching already. I see your point but not sure how cross elastic those 2 funding sources are. That said, it will eat into coaching endorsements.

Different pot of gold. I expect KY’s Nil outlay exceeds coaching already. I see your point but not sure how cross elastic those 2 funding sources are. That said, it will eat into coaching endorsements.

The NIL won't affect coaching salaries, but putting players on payroll will. That's what I meant. If the players are taking from the salary pool , there will be less for coaches.

I think NIL impact will be lessened by it as well because players will be under contract so there won't be that bidding war for players year after year.

I hate the destruction of amateur athletics but at the same time the amount of money these guys bring in can't be denied.

They really need to have a fully separate body for the schools that outright pay and the ones that wont/dont/can't.

I couldn't care less about recruiting, NIL, transfer portal etc at this point. I just watch the games. Tell me who the hel is on our roster when the season starts. Done wasting my time with all of the off field drama.

Maybe but I am not sure if it is only a "little more". The proposal ask for 30k to be set aside for at least half the athletes at the university. I don't know how many UK has but it is likely 600 or so. Then they need to set aside about 10M per year.
Yeah a little more is obviously a relative term. Still UK is one of the few schools on the planet that will not have any problem footing the bill for any package the NCAA might approve. Only a question of giving a smaller amount gratis from athletics towards academics.

I think we are going off the charts now. Most schools spend everything they make already. In the case of UK they actually give back part of their revenue to the school. There is nothing left to pay after all the programs it supports. Paying coaches hundreds of thousands in sports that don't make money. I assume most power 5 schools are in a similar place or even worse off since we are in the SEC.

When are folks gonna realize the schools are not making a big profit....they are not. NIL is different and folks don't seem to understand. These kids are getting over 100 k in scholarship money and that does not include all the amenities of a D1 athlete. I will never understand. I totally agree with NIL money, but why does the school need to get involved. Go cut a deal with any business you like and get your money, but don't involve the school.

I have no sympathy for some of these schools with billions in endowments.

Reactions: Global Havok
This would make a handful of schools running the whole show. It says 30k at minimum per athlete, but no maximum. So this would really cut into the parity of the sports if the Texas/Alabama/Michigan/Ohio State/Oklahoma/Oregons of the world putting in 200k or more per athlete....
I mean, that's $45 million/year at 200k per athlete for an average size athletic department. Maybe I'm naive, but I just can't see that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT