ADVERTISEMENT

Neal Brown

truebluewildcat

All-SEC
Feb 21, 2006
20 point bowl win...he's coming folks. The Air Raid horns are sounding once again in the Big10. No horns or sooners...11-12 win season, conference title, and playoff very possible for ya boy next year.

Heard all you cats talking about Sumerall being the guy...he said alright I'll show you.

NB will be near the top of some lists next season.

20 point win against a mediocre acc team missing the only reason they weren’t awful.*

He Was on the hot seat all offseason. I figured he’d get fired but took advantage of a weak schedule and now will get an extension. Good for him.
Weak schedule? WVU plays in a conference they don’t fit in and have trouble recruiting to it. It’s all relative I mean he’s playing the big 12 but he’s coaching a big 12 team. Plus he only has 1 ooc gimme. I’m not proclaiming him at the top of the mountain yet but I’m not going to undercut him on this season whatsoever.

Lost to almost all the ranked teams we played...including a couple blow outs.

The one ranked team we beat in a tight one is getting blown out by a 7-5 Pac team

There is zero comparison in the big 12 and SEC.

Starting next season the only team that would not be the number one team from the SEC in the big 12 is Vanderbilt recruiting wise over the last 5 seasons.

Vanderbilt would be 8th. Every other SEC team has had a better recruiting class than any big 12 if you average out the last 5 years.

Congrats to Brown. Should've also had 1 more win this year if not for the wild hail mary against Houston.

That is true.

I think Oklahoma State, Texas Texas and WVA dominate the new “Big” Twelve.
Utah won the Pac 12, an actual power 5 conference. As long as they have their coach the Utes should by far be the class of the B12.

Reactions: KT34
There is zero comparison in the big 12 and SEC.

Starting next season the only team that would not be the number one team from the SEC in the big 12 is Vanderbilt recruiting wise over the last 5 seasons.

Vanderbilt would be 8th. Every other SEC team has had a better recruiting class than any big 12 if you average out the last 5 years.
Nobody is comparing the big 12 to sec

Neal Brown did really well in the b12 with a team full of b12 talent. He's not playing that schedule with SEC talent. Infact he's probably got an average b12 roster at best.

All I said was NB did well, should do well again next year and may be a candidate for some jobs...and my god you'd have thought I'd said a hair lip's the pope...

Any time anyone says anything about another team and coach on here people respond like William Wallace to the Brits...Ya'll flip up your kilts and start yelling like wild men...

20 point bowl win...he's coming folks. The Air Raid horns are sounding once again in the Big10. No horns or sooners...11-12 win season, conference title, and playoff very possible for ya boy next year.

Heard all you cats talking about Sumerall being the guy...he said alright I'll show you.

I’m happy for the guy, but this isn’t reality. He has been on the hot seat for the last couple seasons with year to year decisions, and he’s been there a while. Zero consistency at WVA at best, I get he has UK ties but I don’t understand why people would want him here. He’s almost a carbon copy of what we have and stoops is better. Happy for him, but I wish him luck from afar personally, I wouldn’t want him here. As football changes, it’s needs younger more dynamic football minds imo

Seems to be on the Mark Stoops trajectory......I recall CMS was a field goal away from being canned at UK before he got things rolling. Hoping for similar success for Neal Brown

I was looking at wvu’s returning production and it looks pretty good. Maybe next season’s schedule finishes “better than the record shows 7-5” type of level.

The deal with Neal brown to me isn’t so much is he a good coach or not….i think he’s a so so coach (5-7 , 6-4, 6-7, 5-7 and now 9-4)

But do we really think this air raid philosophy is going to work at UK….i say not really. Plus he’s not a top recruiter at WVU ….so with all that he’s a hard no for me

Reactions: gamecockcat
K Time, Neal hasn't run an Air Raid offense since he was OC at Texas Tech. All his Troy & WVU teams are balanced, he isn't a Leach 80/20 pass run ratio. Most Air Raid coaching tree guys after leaving Leach realized you can't be a 50% team, dropping back and chucking it virtually every down. You gotta make a defense honor the run.

I was roasted on here by some that Sat night when the Texas a&m thing was reported to be happening that UK'S 1st call should be to Brown. Why, because his head coaching experience in a power 5 conference at a school with zero home state recruiting base. Brown was gonna be the 1st CFB coach fired in 2023, picked 14th out of 14 in the Big 12. And puts a 9 win team on the table as a response. If I had the call he'd still be my #1 choice to replace Stoops now. Maybe Sumrall can move up by continuing to win big at Tulane.

I’m happy for the guy, but this isn’t reality. He has been on the hot seat for the last couple seasons with year to year decisions, and he’s been there a while. Zero consistency at WVA at best, I get he has UK ties but I don’t understand why people would want him here. He’s almost a carbon copy of what we have and stoops is better. Happy for him, but I wish him luck from afar personally, I wouldn’t want him here. As football changes, it’s needs younger more dynamic football minds imo

It's taken a few years but I think he's firmly on the path to 9,10, maybe 11 wins.

Next year he's returning a good chunk of his roster including his QB and entire backfield who all made up one of the best ground games in the country...top 5. I think all of them are underclassmen, so he'll have them for a couple of seasons.

He's still early 40s, in an industry in which guys aren't retiring til 75+ and don't really hit their stride until late 40s 50ish.

Don't think anyone is saying get rid of CMS for NB. That's not realistic because our decision makers and money shakers aren't going to get rid of CMS, nor should they at this point.

I'm just saying NB is probably going to be a name to watch generally speaking going forward.

Should CMS ever actually take one of the many jobs he's allegedly in talks for at the end of every season, NB will be on the call list and probably near the top. Especially if he hits 10-11 wins each of the next few seasons.

Reactions: JHB4UK
Me too. So, Utah is going to the B12??
“Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah will become members in the summer of 2024 joining Baylor, BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech and West Virginia.”

Ok, so the PAC is officially dead, the Big Ten getting the cream of the crop, and The Big Twelve and the ACC the leftovers.

And Washington State and Oregon State are left out in the cold.

Last edited:
From a name recognition point of view they are leftovers. On the football field Utah has been a better team for 15 yrs than UCLA, USC, and Washington. Close with Oregon.

Reactions: The-Hack
The deal with Neal brown to me isn’t so much is he a good coach or not….i think he’s a so so coach (5-7 , 6-4, 6-7, 5-7 and now 9-4)

But do we really think this air raid philosophy is going to work at UK….i say not really. Plus he’s not a top recruiter at WVU ….so with all that he’s a hard no for me
FWIW, talking heads last night raving about Brown's freshmen class.

Brown moved on from the Air Raid long ago.

If he can replicate this the next two years, then he makes it into the conversation, but I'm not sure the air raid is where Mitch will be looking, unless the primary options don't materialize.

Nobody is comparing the big 12 to sec

Neal Brown did really well in the b12 with a team full of b12 talent. He's not playing that schedule with SEC talent. Infact he's probably got an average b12 roster at best.

All I said was NB did well, should do well again next year and may be a candidate for some jobs...and my god you'd have thought I'd said a hair lip's the pope...

Any time anyone says anything about another team and coach on here people respond like William Wallace to the Brits...Ya'll flip up your kilts and start yelling like wild men...

truebluewildcat said:

The one ranked team we beat in a tight one is getting blown out by a 7-5 Pac team

Another poster pointed out that West Virginia lost to the only good teams they played and you used it as an opportunity to bring up that Kentucky lost to ranked teams as well

You use almost every post to trash the program it appears as your agenda without acknowledging anything good about the program it seems.

Uk plays West Virginias schedule they end up 9-3 maybe 10-2

West Virginia plays Uk Schedule I doubt they are even bowling.

Not that hard to comprehend.

truebluewildcat said:

Another poster pointed out that West Virginia lost to the only good teams they played and you used it as an opportunity to bring up that Kentucky lost to ranked teams as well

You use almost every post to trash the program it appears as your agenda without acknowledging anything good about the program it seems.

Uk plays West Virginias schedule they end up 9-3 maybe 10-2

West Virginia plays Uk Schedule I doubt they are even bowling.

Not that hard to comprehend.

I didn't trash anyone. I used the logic that another poster used. He brought up losing to ranked teams...guess what UK lost to ranked teams too. UL isn't even a win to hang the hat on anymore they just got blown out by a mediocre Pac program who was playing a backup QB.

Here's what's not hard to comprehend. WVU did well in the B12 with a middle tier B12 roster.

I'm sure CMS or any SEC coach and team could roll through their schedule with an SEC roster. Although Aggies did get rolled by OSU. So maybe not.

But saying UK could win 9 games in that conference isn't really a valid argument. Overall, we're probably a better team and have a better roster than WVU.

That's what is great about bowl season. Comparable teams from different conferences play one another by design and we kind of find out who's who and how tough other conferences are.

Anybody got a picture of neal getting all that mayo dumped on him ?mullen chowing down on mayo nachos was disgusting and man can you imagine being around him last night definitely would not strike a match

FWIW, talking heads last night raving about Brown's freshmen class.

Brown moved on from the Air Raid long ago.
BS

1. WVU was 44 in recruiting in 2023
2. I’ve watched Neal Brown…it’s air raid essential. Qb is in shotgun the entire game, sure they run out of it…but it’s short passes all day long stuff

I see nothing I’d want to try to make Neal coach over Sumrall, White Coen or another up and coming coach

BS

1. WVU was 44 in recruiting in 2023
2. I’ve watched Neal Brown…it’s air raid essential. Qb is in shotgun the entire game, sure they run out of it…but it’s short passes all day long stuff

I see nothing I’d want to try to make Neal coach over Sumrall, White Coen or another up and coming coach
Whatever, believe what you wish. And the people doing the game were the ones who were complimentary of his recruiting class, not me....take it up with them.

It's taken a few years but I think he's firmly on the path to 9,10, maybe 11 wins.

Next year he's returning a good chunk of his roster including his QB and entire backfield who all made up one of the best ground games in the country...top 5. I think all of them are underclassmen, so he'll have them for a couple of seasons.

He's still early 40s, in an industry in which guys aren't retiring til 75+ and don't really hit their stride until late 40s 50ish.

Don't think anyone is saying get rid of CMS for NB. That's not realistic because our decision makers and money shakers aren't going to get rid of CMS, nor should they at this point.

I'm just saying NB is probably going to be a name to watch generally speaking going forward.

Should CMS ever actually take one of the many jobs he's allegedly in talks for at the end of every season, NB will be on the call list and probably near the top. Especially if he hits 10-11 wins each of the next few seasons.
The thing is he should have already been at the level, based off his time there. Everyone was shocked when he wasn't fired last year. It doesn't mean he cannot turn it around, this is true and once you get there, he has a shot to maintain it in the new (lesser mind you) big 12, but his shine has lessened. He is still young, I thought he was closer to 50 (which is still young) but my point about a more dynamic coaching, is more about style than age. I respectfully disagree on the list though, I do not think Brown will ever be on a list for a new coach here unless its just out of respect for his KY ties or we have went south and looking for the best we can get. West Va is a better job in theory. It has a passionate fan base, good backing, decent facilities and in a lesser conference and Brown has underachieved most seasons. He isn't the rising star you think he is, even if he hits 10 games next season. I will admit though, seeing as he is just 43, he has time to grow and regain it, so we will see. For me, I just don't think he is that great of coach, or I should say more of an elite non power 5 coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT