ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA to Ban Collectives?

Ok, I'll ask you the same thing. Tennessee has a law that specifically allows for collectives and even for the collectives to meet recruits on campus. Then of course, who gets to decide what is a valid "collective" and what isn't. I could go on and on but there is no way for the NCAA to do this.
I'm not an attorney so I have no idea what the legal aspects of NIL are. That being said, I would think the NCAA or any other volunteer league would have pretty broad latitude to establish the rules under which participants play. Just because Tennessee law makes something legal doesn't mean the NCAA will allow them access to post season play and not disallow their wins if they are playing illegally obtained players. I don't think State law can dictate the NCAA rules of participation. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but it would surprise me if a State can just pass a law allowing their university to do something and then it becomes something the NCAA has to go along with.

Reactions: jauk11
I'm not an attorney so I have no idea what the legal aspects of NIL are. That being said, I would think the NCAA or any other volunteer league would have pretty broad latitude to establish the rules under which participants play. Just because Tennessee law makes something legal doesn't mean the NCAA will allow them access to post season play and not disallow their wins if they are playing illegally obtained players. I don't think State law can dictate the NCAA rules of participation. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but it would surprise me if a State can just pass a law allowing their university to do something and then it becomes something the NCAA has to go along with.
I used to feel that way too. I've changed my position.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll ask you the same thing. Tennessee has a law that specifically allows for collectives and even for the collectives to meet recruits on campus. Then of course, who gets to decide what is a valid "collective" and what isn't. I could go on and on but there is no way for the NCAA to do this.

We shouldn't need a law since it's already legal. Making a law saying it's legal doesn't make it doubly legal. We just need fresh compliance approaches.

I think the NCAA can absolutely define what a legit collective is. For starters really not any of them are legit because they are not traditional businesses that have a vested interest. Collectives are essentially slush funds. What's the legit use for the University to have basically a bill dollar slush fund whose sole purpose is to bribe players. If that can't survive a court challenge then what can. Why can't the state of Tennessee just start making other laws regarding rules such as eligibility and so on. If the NCAA can make no rules whatsoever then college sports will die out totally.

The NCAA was abusing the players rights and the courts rightfully reigned them in. There is no evidence that the intent of the ruling was to completely dismantle all rules entirely. The courts slapped the NCAA down for going too far. Now it's the NIL slush founds that are going too far.

I absolutely think they can define or preferably ban a collective. I just have zero faith in their ability to enforce any such regulation.

We shouldn't need a law since it's already legal. Making a law saying it's legal doesn't make it doubly legal. We just need fresh compliance approaches.

I absolutely think they can define or preferably ban a collective. I just have zero faith in their ability to enforce any such regulation.
Having collectives meet recruits and allowing schools to "fundraise" for collectives is already legal?

I still don't understand how they would ever define a collective in a way that made it illegal. Collectives paying recruits to go to a school or keep them at a school effectively happened with Oscar. He knew if he came back, x dollars were waiting on him. I don't understand the difference between that and a collective telling a recruit the same thing.

Just get comfortable with the new landscape of College Football ... this happened apparently within the last 24 Hours in regards to NIL and Recruiting

Last edited:
Having collectives meet recruits and allowing schools to "fundraise" for collectives is already legal?

Right. It was never illegal. If a kid is good at coding, anyone and everyone could provide whatever financial incentive they want to entice a business relationship. The only thing that made it impermissible was the NCAA had regulations about impermissible benefits and eligibility concerns as it relates to athletic participants. It was never an actual legal issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: maysvilleky
Right. It was never illegal. If a kid is good at coding, anyone and everyone could provide whatever financial incentive they want to entice a business relationship. The only thing that made it impermissible was the NCAA had regulations about impermissible benefits and eligibility concerns as it relates to athletic participants. It was never an actual legal issue.
We're mixing terms, sorry. I'm referring to legal only as in under NCAA rules.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

I totally agree on that point. They have the latitude to ban collectives but I'm not sure they have the leader ship to do so. The NCAA is made of people that like being part of a commitee because they like business trips and like conferences. Other than free buffets they have no real active involvement.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Tennessee wrote that law recently and by design. They aren't changing it. Who says NIL payments must come from a "legitimate" business. If I want to pay CRod to go on social media and say what a great guy I am, who is to say that isn't legitimate? Lawsuits against schools for arbitrary and capricious limitations on earnings is coming soon.

Yes, college sports are going to die. The love of money ruins everything it touches.
Thug U dilema has a simple sooloution to me.

Kick them out of the NCAA and let them play with themselves. Should have been done long ago.

I think a better title for this thread would be…….

“Will The NCAA Do Anything About Anything”

And, I would respond “Nope”

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT