ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Regs and Even State Laws Limiting “Pay-for-Play” Might be Short-lived in Lawsuits.

Completely misplaced to think average fans are going to competitively fund nil. Never going to happen. This should be a nonstarter every time someone like Mitch mentions this nonsense

It’s not just UK who is reaching out to average fans to fund NIL. All major programs are doing this because they know simply relying on wealthy boosters isn’t sustainable.

This past August, both Alabama and Georgia started ramping up efforts to get average fans to become small donors to their collectives. About a month ago, Ohio State sent out an appeal to Buckeyes fans asking them to start getting involved.

What’s happening at UK is playing out similarly at most other power 5 schools.

It’s not just UK who is reaching out to average fans to fund NIL. All major programs are doing this because they know simply relying on wealthy boosters isn’t sustainable.

This past August, both Alabama and Georgia started ramping up efforts to get average fans to become small donors to their collectives. About a month ago, Ohio State sent out an appeal to Buckeyes fans asking them to start getting involved.

What’s happening at UK is playing out similarly at most other power 5 schools.

No problem at all with promoting the involvement of the average fan. But it can only ever be a supplement. To act like we're supposed to be the major fund source while Mitch takes donor money elsewhere is absurd and frankly offensive

No problem at all with promoting the involvement of the average fan. But it can only ever be a supplement. To act like we're supposed to be the major fund source while Mitch takes donor money elsewhere is absurd and frankly offensive
They’re not just promoting involvement. They’re also pushing fans to be the major fund source.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...support-from-fans/5JGT6JSLQBBYBIWC4OOWLA5WOA/

https://scarletandgame.com/2022/12/08/ohio-state-football-gene-smith-begging-nil-money-bad-look/

Then they're wrong. Hit up big donors.
That’s for each fan base to decide, and if you read articles like the Ohio State one I linked, you’ll see there are portions of other fanbases who share your sentiment.

But my reason for mentioning this was simply to point out to folks on here that UK is not a major outlier when it comes to NIL. The majority of power 5 schools are currently struggling with the exact same types of NIL challenges that UK has faced.

Almost every school is wrestling with how to manage reasonable restrictions on NIL deals, to what degree the school can get involved in supporting NIL activities and how to increase the amount of available NIL funds. And most of these schools have been approaching NIL in much the same way as UK has approached it.

That’s for each fan base to decide, and if you read articles like the Ohio State one I linked, you’ll see there are portions of other fanbases who share your sentiment.

But my reason for mentioning this was simply to point out to folks on here that UK is not a major outlier when it comes to NIL. The majority of power 5 schools are currently struggling with the exact same types of NIL challenges that UK has faced.

Almost every school is wrestling with how to manage reasonable restrictions on NIL deals, to what degree the school can get involved in supporting NIL activities and how to increase the amount of available NIL funds. And most of these schools have been approaching NIL in much the same way as UK has approached it.

Let me rephrase what I said. I see no problem at all with pushing and hoping the average fan donates. I have a major problem when the ad expects and depends on that to be a major fund source rather than beating the bushes.

Maybe that goes on elsewhere and those places are wrong too. However we know for sure other programs wisely court large donors to be the major funds for nil

Let me rephrase what I said. I see no problem at all with pushing and hoping the average fan donates. I have a major problem when the ad expects and depends on that to be a major fund source rather than beating the bushes.

Maybe that goes on elsewhere and those places are wrong too. However we know for sure other programs wisely court large donors to be the major funds for nil
Which Athletics Directors are beating the bushes with large donors in order to convince them that they should be the major source of NIL funds?

We know UT, UL, and Miami are. That's just top of my head with no research.
I can’t speak for UL, but it is not accurate to say that the Athletics Directors for UT and Miami were out doing significant legwork to court large boosters to fund NIL. Their efforts have been largely driven by a few boosters who took the initiative to jump start NIL efforts.

I can’t speak for UL, but it is not accurate to say that the Athletics Directors for UT and Miami were out doing significant legwork to court large boosters to fund NIL. Their efforts have been largely driven by a few boosters who took the initiative to jump start NIL efforts.

So you're actually agreeing with me without realizing it.

We have those donors too. Their money just gets directed elsewhere. That needs to stop or at least get reallocated. Plus other potential big donors are excluded by the dumb rules in place against alcohol, gambling, etc

Our issues are easily fixable. They just won't be fixed until someone (maybe a few people) in leadership puts their morals and virtue behind them and starts doing the job.

So you're actually agreeing with me without realizing it.

We have those donors too. Their money just gets directed elsewhere. That needs to stop or at least get reallocated. Plus other potential big donors are excluded by the dumb rules in place against alcohol, gambling, etc

Our issues are easily fixable. They just won't be fixed until someone (maybe a few people) in leadership puts their morals and virtue behind them and starts doing the job.
No, I’m not agreeing with you.

Your assertion was that UT and Miami were having success because their Athletics Directors were engaging in fundraising activities focused on securing NIL dollars. The implication being that UK is somehow behind because UK has not done the same thing.

But your assertion is not accurate and is simply untrue. The fact of the matter is that those two schools in particular had a few very aggressive boosters who took it upon themselves to drive their respective NIL efforts. It had very little to do with the Athletics Directors at UT and Miami, and those ADs have not been aggressively courting wealthy boosters to fund NIL.

And this is my problem with UK and JMI charging our athletes WAAAYYYY too much for the UK logo. Which in the long run will actually LOWER the value of the UK logo if our athletes can’t compete with the other schools and our awesome fans lose their passion for UK sports.

Just because JMI paid WAAAAY too much for the rights to UK, doesn’t have to mean they are willing to LOWER the value of the product they OVERPAID FOR.

If a happy medium can be established, it would BENEFIT all parties involved!!
He thinks JMI charges the athletes. They’re outraged but totally clueless as to how things work.

No, I’m not agreeing with you.

Your assertion was that UT and Miami were having success because their Athletics Directors were engaging in fundraising activities focused on securing NIL dollars. The implication being that UK is somehow behind because UK has not done the same thing.

But your assertion is not accurate and is simply untrue. The fact of the matter is that those two schools in particular had a few very aggressive boosters who took it upon themselves to drive their respective NIL efforts. It had very little to do with the Athletics Directors at UT and Miami, and those ADs have not been aggressively courting wealthy boosters to fund NIL.

So those boosters kicked in the door and proverbially shoved money into the pockets of the ad?

C'mon. We all know they were the results of relationship building to some extent or another that originated from the ad office. Our ad used to do that now he doesn't. He relies on sec tv money.

The booster money we have goes towards coaching contracts (only 400k of UK money goes into stoops and cal contracts) and water polo/women's whatever upgrades. The uncomfortable fact is football, and to a much lesser extent men's basketball, needs the bulk of that money because football drives everything.

An investment in football gives you a good return on investment allowing more funds to flow into whatever non revenue sports he desires. So you basically get to use the same money twice. Whereas if you sink it directly into non revenue, it's just money spent.

1) stop the virtue nonsense. Remove alcohol and horse racing nil restrictions. Sell beer. Invest in football.

2) redirect/reallocate booster money to nil, put more UK funds (sourced from beer if you have to) into coaching contracts.

3) aggressively court new donors. For years Mitch relied on craft and corman. Corman died, coal is no more, and craft is getting into politics. There is alot of new money out there in tech, etc. They just don't kick in your door and throw money at you. They all need tax deductions anyway. Sell them on UK/UK nil

He thinks JMI charges the athletes. They’re outraged but totally clueless as to how things work.
Semantics does not change what is happening. So TECHNICALLY it is UK, whom JMI BOUGHT the rights to the logo.

Also, UK football can't be compared to Bama and UGA, like you have tried to do throughout these threads on the topic. We have to have MORE cooperation from UK and JMI on SHARING corporate sponsors to MAXIMIZE NIL.

You also have to KNOW, but REFUSE to address it, that if the UK brand LOSES appeal, then JMI has actually DOWNGRADED a product that they paid A LOT to own.

Reactions: entropy13
If Mitch would take just HALF of his money GRIFTING K-Fund and encourage the other half to be used for NIL, it solves a whole lot of problems quickly.

But, Mitch has NO intentions of giving up ANY control of revenue.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Semantics does not change what is happening. So TECHNICALLY it is UK, whom JMI BOUGHT the rights to the logo.

Also, UK football can't be compared to Bama and UGA, like you have tried to do throughout these threads on the topic. We have to have MORE cooperation from UK and JMI on SHARING corporate sponsors to MAXIMIZE NIL.

You also have to KNOW, but REFUSE to address it, that if the UK brand LOSES appeal, then JMI has actually DOWNGRADED a product that they paid A LOT to own.
No matter how bad you want you BS narrative that UK is falling apart to be true, it isn’t. We will have our most talented team we’ve had on paper. JMI has nothing to do with NIL, again, it’s just ignorant KSR BS that you adopted. You literally thought JMI charged players, any nonsense for the BS narrative. This is the greatest era of UK football in 50 years and you keep claiming the UK brand loses appeal and is a downgraded product. You are 100% wrong!

You act like UK and JMI controls corporate sponsors. Corporate sponsors do what’s best for their business. If sponsoring UK is what’s best for their business, that’s what they’re gonna do. You’re so clueless you think UK can tell Paul Miller to stop sponsoring them and do deals with lesser brands. They don’t care about the lies KSR sheep spew and UK and JMI have no control over them. I can’t stop laughing at the ignorant BS you continually make up the support Matt Jones and his lies.

If Mitch would take just HALF of his money GRIFTING K-Fund and encourage the other half to be used for NIL, it solves a whole lot of problems quickly.

But, Mitch has NO intentions of giving up ANY control of revenue.
Maybe UK can charge half tuition and encourage the other half to be used for NIL. LOL at the ridiculousness of clueless KSR goofs.

No matter how bad you want you BS narrative that UK is falling apart to be true, it isn’t. We will have our most talented team we’ve had on paper. JMI has nothing to do with NIL, again, it’s just ignorant KSR BS that you adopted. You literally thought JMI charged players, any nonsense for the BS narrative. This is the greatest era of UK football in 50 years and you keep claiming the UK brand loses appeal and is a downgraded product. You are 100% wrong!

You act like UK and JMI controls corporate sponsors. Corporate sponsors do what’s best for their business. If sponsoring UK is what’s best for their business, that’s what they’re gonna do. You’re so clueless you think UK can tell Paul Miller to stop sponsoring them and do deals with lesser brands. They don’t care about the lies KSR sheep spew and UK and JMI have no control over them. I can’t stop laughing at the ignorant BS you continually make up the support Matt Jones and his lies.
I have NEVER said RIGHT NOW.

EVERYTHING I have addressed points to the FUTURE of UK Football.

You KNOW IT, but YOU REFUSE to acknowledge it. So, When UK Football can't compete and our WONDERFUL coaching staff doesn't get the help needed, YOU are OK with that???? What will UK do when their product is NO LONGER attractive to the Corporate sponsors?????

And don't give me your BULLCRAP response about Vince saying publicly that everything is OK. Of course he's going to say that about Mitch and UK because that's who pays HIS salary!!! Behind the scenes our coaches are EXTREMELY concerned going forward about keeping UK at the current level and going higher.

YOU are the one that is HURTING UK Football and in turn UK Athletics!!

I have NEVER said RIGHT NOW.

EVERYTHING I have addressed points to the FUTURE of UK Football.

You KNOW IT, but YOU REFUSE to acknowledge it. So, When UK Football can't compete and our WONDERFUL coaching staff doesn't get the help needed, YOU are OK with that???? What will UK do when their product is NO LONGER attractive to the Corporate sponsors?????

YOU are the one that is HURTING UK Football and in turn UK Athletics!!
You’re predicting the downfall of UK football after back to back fantastic classes that will leave us with our most talented team ever? LOL. Our future is bright, you can keep spewing ignorance and negativity to uphold Matt Jones narrative but you will be proven wrong.

Our most talented team ever won’t be attractive to corporate sponsors. Again, I can stop laughing at your ignorance. You’re a fraudulent UK fan, that’s why you keep trashing UK and hoping for our downfall.

KSR is on, you better run along so you know what to think. 🤡

• Haha
Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT