ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA issues UNC 3rd NOA (reinstates all allegations)

jarms24

All-American
Mar 31, 2010
link

Sources confirm this new version reinstates aspects of the original first notice that were then altered for the amended notice. That amended notice, which was released on April 25, replaced the impermissible benefits allegation with a failure to monitor academic support charge and removed all references to the men’s basketball and football programs.

Yeah, it's another delay, but this is huge. MBB and FB back in play. Plus, hard to see them amending it for a 4th time.

Somebody is gonna meet Lucille. Either UNC sues the NCAA (doubtful. discovery would be painful). Or they take their medicine. Either way, it's a win-win.

Where does it say they reinstated all allegations. You say that but the news reports say "some". How do you know bball got put back in?

afam_studies_zpsp4f2scqi.jpeg

That one scholarship reduction for three years is just going to cripple the CheaTar Heels, NCAA.

Reactions: Blueaz
We'll know more about how serious this is for basketball by if Williams' vertigo makes its first appearance since UNC started acting like they knew they were off the hook for sure a year and a half ago.

Reactions: chroix
Crying Roy has yet another stick in the recruiting spokes and Cal will continue to farm in their own backyard. [laughing]

This will just about polish off Huckleberry Founds Tarhole tenure. It takes time to put together what will be
an unprecedented response to unprecedented academic fraud. If this was going to be a slap on the wrist,
it would have happened a long time ago.

cryin_huck_zpsrixmylbn.gif

This could be the best news we've heard yet. Now the NCAA just needs to bring the hammer down. It's an embarrassment this thing has been dragged out this long, but they could save face if they do the right thing now.

Did I read it wrong or did they take Men's BB and football out of scope? I got that from the following:

"That amended notice, which was released on April 25, replaced the impermissible benefits allegation with a failure to monitor academic support charge and removed all references to the men’s basketball and football programs" per the link at the beginning of the thread. It was also echoed in the first post.

As I read that, it sounds like the NCAA are denying any responsibility with regard to the BB and football program. I want to think you are correct, but those words make me think we're dealing with another OJ case. We sure are being treated with a long and painfully slow chase.

And remember folks, ND just had to vacate a bunch of wins for academic misconduct not too long ago. The NCAA is obviously in preservation mode right now.

And in the ND case ...

The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions panel ruled the trainer violated NCAA ethical conduct rules when she committed academic misconduct for two football players and provided six other players with impermissible academic extra benefits.

UNC NOA also cites impermissible extra benefits.

link

Sources confirm this new version reinstates aspects of the original first notice that were then altered for the amended notice. That amended notice, which was released on April 25, replaced the impermissible benefits allegation with a failure to monitor academic support charge and removed all references to the men’s basketball and football programs.
This is huge. They made impermissible benefits disappear, now the NCAA has brought them back.

Reactions: jarms24
While this does push the conclusion back it also keeps the dark cloud hanging over the program and has to continue to hurt recruiting.
True. That's a punishment in itself. It's also hard now for the Espn talking heads to continue NOT talking about this dark cloud.

Reactions: JohnBlue_
Crying Roy has yet another stick in the recruiting spokes and Cal will continue to farm in their own backyard. [laughing]

This will just about polish off Huckleberry Founds Tarhole tenure. It takes time to put together what will be
an unprecedented response to unprecedented academic fraud. If this was going to be a slap on the wrist,
it would have happened a long time ago.

cryin_huck_zpsrixmylbn.gif
Hope you're right.

For christ's sake, how long is this damn thing going to take?

The NCAA should never had let UNC drag its feet after the 1st NOA came out.

If you remember UNC was coming down to the wire on the deadline to provide their response, and decided to reveal additional findings (related to women's basketball etc.) which put the ball back in the NCAA's court and essentially reset the clock.

This gave UNC time to lobby for removal of anything related to MBB and football, which the NCAA foolishly went along with. And for which now they have egg all over their face for.

What the NCAA SHOULD have done is held UNC to the original deadline and then gave them additional time to speak to the additional findings ONLY.

Did I read it wrong or did they take Men's BB and football out of scope? I got that from the following:

"That amended notice, which was released on April 25, replaced the impermissible benefits allegation with a failure to monitor academic support charge and removed all references to the men’s basketball and football programs" per the link at the beginning of the thread. It was also echoed in the first post.

As I read that, it sounds like the NCAA are denying any responsibility with regard to the BB and football program. I want to think you are correct, but those words make me think we're dealing with another OJ case. We sure are being treated with a long and painfully slow chase.

I think that part of the article is referencing the amended allegations which came out in April. So there was a notice of allegations, then an amended notice of allegations and now a new notice of allegations. So I could be wrong, but it's saying they previously removed any mention of men's basketball and football in April, but now they are both back in play. At least that's how I read it.

Reactions: kybassfan and blubo
This is huge. They made impermissible benefits disappear, now the NCAA has brought them back.

I would say the failure to monitor academics is a much worse charge and insinuates institutional control. One Roy can deny knowledge of the other places blame at the athletic departments feet.

Could be. I'm not 100% sure. I'm basing my comment on what the poster above was saying.

Reactions: kybassfan
This could be huge if the rumors of Knox being a two horse race tween us and UNC, and not us and Duke. Like it was long believed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT