ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Shutting Down G League Ignite Team After This Season.

G league was introduced just before NIL. They probably thought every top 20 HS player would take a check for a couple hundred thousand and go G league, which was basically their idea to get views and revenue. NIL completely eliminated their business model, resulting in a deficit
They lose millions paying guys who play in empty arenas, for teams that no one cares about, off TV, and get zero exposure. G League Ignite was one of the more dumb NBA rules.

Reactions: ManitouDan
I’ve not paid attention but was g league ignite different than other g league teams? Seems odd shutting down just 1 team.

They don’t wanna get sued, under title IX I’m sure some corrupt judge will totally destroy them over it.
Eh? Title IX doesn't apply to pro sports.

That said, WNBA isn't getting shut down with Caitlin Clark coming in. She's going to put more eyeballs on that product than there has ever been.

And in terms of this news, it's the NBA once again outsourcing something to the NCAA like their age limit rule.

Eh? Title IX doesn't apply to pro sports.

That said, WNBA isn't getting shut down with Caitlin Clark coming in. She's going to put more eyeballs on that product than there has ever been.

And in terms of this news, it's the NBA once again outsourcing something to the NCAA like their age limit rule.
I’m just saying I can see some big hoopla over it. Don’t put it past anyone bringing a lawsuit these days over something with no merit and it getting thru.

I’m just saying I can see some big hoopla over it. Don’t put it past anyone bringing a lawsuit these days over something with no merit and it getting thru.
Don't think the NBA is scared of a baseless lawsuit.

I’ve not paid attention but was g league ignite different than other g league teams? Seems odd shutting down just 1 team.
It is (was) a developmental/mentorship program. The veterans on the roster are all guys who are older and have had success in the league (Norris Cole, John Jenkins), but definitely aren’t being looked at anymore. Probably a good way to still get a check hooping while getting your profile up for a coaching career. Since the rest of the roster is 17-18 year olds oozing raw talent playing 25 yr old 2nd round draft picks, Ignite has piled up the losses in its short existence.

If that were true I would think they would want to get rid of the WNBA since it’s a giant money sink.
No clue what the WNBA has to do with you thinking they are shutting down the Ignite team bc they are scared of a lawsuit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT