ADVERTISEMENT

NBA in Louisville

I've never heard a Louisvillian wish the rest of the state to burn to the ground. The vast majority of people in Louisville just live their lives and don't give the rest of the state a thought.
Ever been to their boards A regular saying is, we need to annex from Ky and go to Indiana. The rest of the state is inbred, toothless hilljacks Oh believe me they hate the rural ares and Lexington. That is not debatable

Reactions: blubo
I didn't care if we got pro ball or not for years because I don't like pro basketball. However , I was wrong. Here's why.

My son lives in Nashville and points out that the fact they have four pro teams now has aided their growth and community spirit. It's what young people want.

I can still remember years ago when I took the kids to St Louis for a baseball game and the seventh inning stretch. When the Clydesdales came out and they started playing that beer song it was incredible. What community spirit and pride.Made me wish for a moment we lived there.
Louisville needs another pro sport other than horse racing. It gives a commonality that all in the community can cheer for and be part of. And that helps not only community spirit but economic growth because that's the type of community young people want to live in.

I didn't care if we got pro ball or not for years because I don't like pro basketball. However , I was wrong. Here's why.

My son lives in Nashville and points out that the fact they have four pro teams now has aided their growth and community spirit. It's what young people want.

I can still remember years ago when I took the kids to St Louis for a baseball game and the seventh inning stretch. When the Clydesdales came out and they started playing that beer song it was incredible. What community spirit and pride.Made me wish for a moment we lived there.
Louisville needs another pro sport other than horse racing. It gives a commonality that all in the community can cheer for and be part of. And that helps not only community spirit but economic growth because that's the type of community young people want to live in.

Also known as the StL Cardinals Fight Song! :)

I understand your point, but think it is different with UK and UL basketball. The Hornets haven't destroyed UNC and Duke because of the loyal fan support. The Pacers haven't got rid of IU's fan support, as crazy as IU fans are. I think UK and UL both have sufficient fan"atics" that it would work.

To be fair, the Hornets have never really contended for anything either. Not worth the attention.

Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky would require building an NBA caliber arena. There's been talk about renovating the decrepid old US Bank. There was a study done on it. That idea died a quick death. However, considering the fact that there is a real possibility that the Bengals will leave Cincinnati in six years when the lease is up on Paul Brown stadium , and how many millions of dollars are being spent on the new MLS stadium. The possibility of an NBA team in the Cincinnati area is a million to one. Louisville is much more likely.

Ever been to their boards A regular saying is, we need to annex from Ky and go to Indiana. The rest of the state is inbred, toothless hilljacks Oh believe me they hate the rural ares and Lexington. That is not debatable
Nah, I dont go to Louisville boards and Louisville boards represent a very small portion of Louisville citizens. Their shitty behavior doesnt justify the same behavior wishing for a city to be burnt to the ground. Also its highly unlikely anyone from Louisville wants to be a part of Indiana, annexed from Kentucky maybe, be a part of Indiana? No chance.

To be fair, the Hornets have never really contended for anything either. Not worth the attention.
So you’re saying if Charlotte became really good—support for Duke or UNCwould wane ? How much?

I’m a football first guy, but U know that if UK football went on an Alabama like run, there’s still the same basketball fans to root for our guys on the court. I don’t see a decline there in interest at all.

If anything—it would give our fan base more things to cheer for.

I don’t understand how the presence and success of one sport should preclude success in another major sport.

Last edited:
I hate the thought of the Tards becoming NBA fans. I enjoy their misery too much, every time we kick their sorry pathetic lying cheating crybaby a$$.

Reactions: kl40504
Well about 55% of the fan base in Louisville is KY azz wipe so you’d be burning down a lot of KY fans homes... might want to rethink that perspective

Supafuzz must be hiding in his trailer banging his cousin to Superstar (by Supafuzz).

Nah, I dont go to Louisville boards and Louisville boards represent a very small portion of Louisville citizens. Their shitty behavior doesnt justify the same behavior wishing for a city to be burnt to the ground. Also its highly unlikely anyone from Louisville wants to be a part of Indiana, annexed from Kentucky maybe, be a part of Indiana? No chance.
I said their sports fans, and made clear I didn't know what non sports fans felt. I feel that board plus the people I know represent their sports fans

I may secede that point, but I might phrase it more like "they look down on" or "feel superior too" rather than hate.

Reactions: JC CATS

You might need to laugh at yourself more. I grew up in Eastern KY and heard most of the hillbilly jokes after I moved out into the bigger world. A UK grad and Cats fan who was a close friend for years was of Italian descent. He loved to tell hillbilly jokes about native Kentuckians, including me. (He had moved here from New York). I never took offense, but fed him back my selection of New York, Italian, and Mafia jokes. (Actually, some of his hillbilly jokes were pretty funny and I've used them myself. I usually make myself the punch line.) You took a shot at Mormons in your post but I don't think you hate Mormons. And, I doubt very much that the posters who make hillbilly jokes on sports websites hate rural Kentuckians.

Reactions: TIE543 and JC CATS
I understand your point, but think it is different with UK and UL basketball. The Hornets haven't destroyed UNC and Duke because of the loyal fan support. The Pacers haven't got rid of IU's fan support, as crazy as IU fans are. I think UK and UL both have sufficient fan"atics" that it would work.

Well actually I think UN and Duke have suffered greatly because of professional sports. You don’t notice it with Duke because they were hand picked as the poster child by the ncaa and sports media.

UNC has games with nothing in the upper decks. That wasn’t thinkable before some of North Carolin’s professional franchises.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
This is a bizarre take. The Titans didn't destroy UT football. A succession of terrible hires in Joey Freshwater, Derek Dooley, Botch Jones and maybe Beldar Pruitt have resulted in UT's descent.

The Grizzlies? They came to Memfuss in 2001. Cal arrived in Memfuss in 2000 and they were successful. They hired Pastner as his replacement. Started out well, then took a nosedive. Hired Tubby for a couple of seasons before going all in on Penny and Wiseman, and that is looking like another nosedive.

In short, bad hires caused the decline of these programs, not a pro sports franchise.

nah.

Tennessee has rough seasons. They were still thick here. Most kids don’t care at all about Tennessee football. They only care about the titans. The titans turned the university of Tennessee into the University of Eastern Tennessee. Everything west of there is Titan country.

The Tigers used to have a shitty product all the time. They still rocked the house and kids around my area of Memphis grew up with nothing but Tiger gear. When the Grizzlies came to town it stopped. You will rarely see a young kid in Memphis know anything about the Tigers. Even now with the Penny hype, they don’t really care. It’s all Grizz.

Think what you want to think, I’m just telling you from personal experience on the matter, professional franchises create apathy toward college sports. In the beginning phase the generation of kids coming up with a new franchise do not care about the college teams.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Surely you are not judging an entire city based upon basketball fans on an anonymous website. Have you ever actually been to Louisville?

Well actually I think UN and Duke have suffered greatly because of professional sports. You don’t notice it with Duke because they were hand picked as the poster child by the ncaa and sports media.

UNC has games with nothing in the upper decks. That wasn’t thinkable before some of North Carolin’s professional franchises.
We have games with no one in the upper deck. So, your point?

Reactions: TIE543
We have games with no one in the upper deck. So, your point?

the correlation to that is modern situations like technology, pricing, and a general apathy because of scheduling. Kentucky has not had an empty upper deck either.

Like I said, I don’t want kentucky getting professional sports teams because I saw what it did to Tennessee and Memphis college teams. And I was born in ‘85, perfect to see the drastic change pro teams brought to a southern college state.

Kentucky basketball will take a backseat to a pro team. I believe it and don’t want it. That’s my position on it.

nah.

Tennessee has rough seasons. They were still thick here. Most kids don’t care at all about Tennessee football. They only care about the titans. The titans turned the university of Tennessee into the University of Eastern Tennessee. Everything west of there is Titan country.

The Tigers used to have a shitty product all the time. They still rocked the house and kids around my area of Memphis grew up with nothing but Tiger gear. When the Grizzlies came to town it stopped. You will rarely see a young kid in Memphis know anything about the Tigers. Even now with the Penny hype, they don’t really care. It’s all Grizz.

Think what you want to think, I’m just telling you from personal experience on the matter, professional franchises create apathy toward college sports. In the beginning phase the generation of kids coming up with a new franchise do not care about the college teams.
Ever heard of correlation vs. causation? When Cal was in Memphis that was the biggest show in town.

Superfuzz is EVERYTHING that’s wrong with IGNORANT KY fans. He’s why the 95% of us get a bad reputation for being a hick and a bumpkin. Can’t stand these type of fans ALMOST as much as I can’t stand LOUSEYVILLE fans......ALMOST

but he’s got coke so.....

Ever heard of correlation vs. causation? When Cal was in Memphis that was the biggest show in town.

I went to the UofM during Cals time in Memphis. Cal brought a lot of excitement to Memphis. I’m not going to argue that. But it was due to sheer dominance. When Memphis had mediocre seasons in the 70’s and 80’s, it was still the main attraction and most sought out team in the city. Memphis is no longer a college town, it’s a pro town. And anyone under 30 doesn’t care much about tiger basketball unless they attended UofM. Even then, it’s just a time passer now. Memphis used to be as into college basketball as Lexington. It’s simply not even close anymore.

That’s the same lame argument u6 fans always make to keep the nba out of Louisville. It didn’t hurt UK when the Colonels were there and I doubt it hurt u6.

read toward the end so I don’t have to repost. I’m making the point and I’m not saying it for the reasons Louisville is.

But I will say, Louisville will become toast if they get a pro team. Their fear is valid.

some of you want the pro team and you’re dismissing anything that doesn’t offer it as a positive. It’s just personal bias.

Like I said above, from my anecdotal experience of seeing a southern state built on college athletics transform into a pro state, is rather UK basketball remain the top attraction. I saw the way Tennessee people were (friends and family and the public) for around 15 years before pro teams and now after. The apathy toward college sports is at a point here I never thought I’d see.

nah.

I've never really thought about it before but , you're making me a HUGE Titan and Grizzly fan !

Reactions: morgousky
I moved out of state to a city with NBA team. I would love Louisville to get a team. Would buy every type of merchandise available, as long as it wasn't red. I already own a dozen shirts with "Kentucky" on it. Be nice to have some Louisville (not University of Louisville) swag as well.

Yeah.... jut what Louisville needs... Something else they can't afford.

The great thing about that argument truly is that if the residents of Louisville (half UK Fans btw) got to keep their tax dollars in the city, then there would be surpluses abound. Its unfortunate though that Louisville only gets back about 25 cents in taxes for every dollar it puts in. I would argue, Louisville would be a great place for an MLS team. There is a brand new stadium here for that and it will sell out on a consistent basis, with room to expand...

Surely you are not judging an entire city based upon basketball fans on an anonymous website. Have you ever actually been to Louisville?
Damn how many times have I said I AM TALKING ABOUT THE SPORTS FANS ON THE LOUISVILLE BOARD. Where in hell did I say entire city? Do I need to take an ad out in the Courier Journal? For the record I lived in Louisville about 4 years, enjoyed it very much.

You might need to laugh at yourself more. I grew up in Eastern KY and heard most of the hillbilly jokes after I moved out into the bigger world. A UK grad and Cats fan who was a close friend for years was of Italian descent. He loved to tell hillbilly jokes about native Kentuckians, including me. (He had moved here from New York). I never took offense, but fed him back my selection of New York, Italian, and Mafia jokes. (Actually, some of his hillbilly jokes were pretty funny and I've used them myself. I usually make myself the punch line.) You took a shot at Mormons in your post but I don't think you hate Mormons. And, I doubt very much that the posters who make hillbilly jokes on sports websites hate rural Kentuckians.
Fair enough but sports hate is real. I don't hate a single U6 fan personally but as a group, yeah I hate em

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
nah.

I lived around Jackson and still go there for work. Last year all I heard down there was "Peanut Butter & Jelly....Rick Barnes." and a few years ago "Brick by Brick...Butch will have us rolling"

Read this too if you want actual data to go along with what I'm saying...the ratings IN NASHVILLE are about the same usually. It depends on who is winning..... just like any fan base.

For the third time this season a Tennessee Vols game earned a high local television rating than a Titans game.

The Vols-Texas A&M game last Saturday, telecast on CBS (WTVF-5), earned a 22.8 local rating, which means 230,645 Nashville households tuned in, according to WTVF-5 program and research director Mark Binda.

The Vols lost 45-38 in overtime.

The Titans-Dolphins game last Sunday on CBS earned a 20.5 local rating (207,378 households). The Titans won 30-17.

The Vols game against Georgia on Oct. 1 scored a 21.4 rating, while the Titans-Texans game on Oct. 2 scored a 20.1. Both games were on CBS.

The Vols also earned a higher local rating than the Titans on Sept. 10-11. Tennessee's game against Virginia Tech at Bristol Motor Speedway on ABC (WKRN-2) earned a 22.9. The Titans-Vikings game the next day at Nissan Stadium on Fox (WZTV-17) posted a 21.8.

Local ratings for the weekend of Sept. 24-25 also were very close. The Titans-Raiders game on Sept. 25 earned a 20.0 while the Vols-Florida game on Sept. 24 earned a 19.9.

Reactions: JDHoss
nah.

Nope...you're a "hot take" type of guy, and this is one of your takes. A shitty product or a good/great product on the field or on the court will determine your crowd in the stands, but what has affected crowds, pro and college more than anything is the availability of games on TV and the quality of that television product. There are lots of empty seats for most Grizzlies and Titans games as well.

Reactions: mustnotsleepnow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT