ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats-best quick fix

UKFAN4L

Sophomore
Mar 26, 2009
Hypothetically I think he has the best chance of the current college coaches for retaining some of our guys (current and freshmen).
But the one thing that could help is for him to bring Sears, Nelson, Pringle, and Derrion Reid (HS CO24). Minus Reid, pretty sure all of those guys have 1 year left, if they choose. That would at least give us a starter kit mixed in with other portal players.

Hypothetically I think he has the best chance of the current college coaches for retaining some of our guys (current and freshmen).
But the one thing that could help is for him to bring Sears, Nelson, Pringle, and Derrion Reid (HS CO24). Minus Reid, pretty sure all of those guys have 1 year left, if they choose. That would at least give us a starter kit mixed in with other portal players.
I agree that he probably would provide the easiest transition in year one.

Reactions: UKFAN4L
I have no doubt Oats will produce some exciting teams. But I think he teaches a gimmick offense. And gimmicks don't win consistently, nor do they win it all.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
Then who is? It ain’t Billy donavon and it ain’t jay wright. Hurley is the only option better than oats
I get it, but it ain't Oats. And 'who is' is up to our AD and committee that helps him out. Donovan and Hurley would be a tie for first on my list. And don't count anyone out. You don't know who it is, as much as I don't know who it is (or who is interested and who isn't).

All I know is that as a UK fan I don't want to settle for a quick fix. That's a lazy way of selecting a coach. That's a one-way ticket to become Indiana.

Oats is Top 3 on the calls. Dan Hurley is the first call no matter what.

Oats can coach but I didn't like any of the game adjustments in the second half when they played against Uconn.

I feel like Oats is like Cal but knows X' and O's

Reactions: RunninRichie
Oats is Top 3 on the calls. Dan Hurley is the first call no matter what.

Oats can coach but I didn't like any of the game adjustments in the second half when they played against Uconn.

I feel like Oats is like Cal but knows X' and O's
Well, he sure is like Cal this year where defense is optional.

Reactions: shodaman
I get it, but it ain't Oats. And 'who is' is up to our AD and committee that helps him out. Donovan and Hurley would be a tie for first on my list. And don't count anyone out. You don't know who it is, as much as I don't know who it is.

All I know is that as a UK fan I don't want to settle for a quick fix. That's a lazy way of selecting a coach. That's a one-way ticket to becoming Indiana.
I don’t know who it is, but Billy donavon is a much bigger gamble than Nate oats is. Donavan hasn’t coached college In forever and when he was last in college he wasn’t what he used to be, and there is no guarentee he reacts well to the portal. Hurley is clearly number one if you can get him. But oats is the most attainable and is only going to get better

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
I get it, but it ain't Oats. And 'who is' is up to our AD and committee that helps him out. Donovan and Hurley would be a tie for first on my list. And don't count anyone out. You don't know who it is, as much as I don't know who it is (or who is interested and who isn't).

All I know is that as a UK fan I don't want to settle for a quick fix. That's a lazy way of selecting a coach. That's a one-way ticket to become Indiana.
All of these "Oats isn't good enough" or "Donovan, Hurley, Wright, or bust" dreamers are going to be severely disappointed once Mitch makes the real hire. That hire will be a significant step below Nate Oats.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
The reality is with MB we prob end up with Lloyd, Underwood, or Drew if he can be lured away.

All these names getting discussed in here…prob 75% chance Mitch doesn’t even call any of them.

All of these "Oats isn't good enough" or "Donovan, Hurley, Wright, or bust" dreamers are going to be severely disappointed once Mitch makes the real hire. That hire will be a significant step below Nate Oats.

We will se about that.

You know what happens when. The head coach fires all the staff? Then he's the next one to take the fall.

Mitch can't afford to botch this, or he's out next.

I don’t know who it is, but Billy donavon is a much bigger gamble than Nate oats is. Donavan hasn’t coached college In forever and when he was last in college he wasn’t what he used to be, and there is no guarentee he reacts well to the portal. Hurley is clearly number one if you can get him. But oats is the most attainable and is only going to get better
Do you really want 'the most attainable'? I mean, we just got rid of a yahoo who depended on pure offense to drive each game. That didn't turn out well.

Donovan is great because he's a great X's and O's coach who now has a sizeable amount of NBA experience (successful experience). He knows how to win and I'm sure he could adapt to whatever.

Hurley and him have to be priorities.

Oats, as stated above, runs a gimmicky offense that depends on the three-point shot falling and getting back quickly just to slow down the other team. His teams chuck up three-pointers and when they aren't doing that and hitting them, they're losing games. He lost a game to Calipari's Kentucky this year. Think about that for a second.

Plus, and this is a huge plus, I hated how he handled the Miller situation last year. It was disgusting.

P.S. I'm not trying to be an ass to you. I'm just disagreeing. I enjoy your posts.

Reactions: BigBlue1992
I'm not sold on Oats. I'm not saying he is a hard no, but he's clearly 2nd tier to me.

But I don't want a "quick fix", I want long-term sustained excellence. If it takes a year, so be it. Although with the portal, I don't think it has to take a year with anyone. Now had this happened in June, then yeah 24-25 would be a rebuild year.

To me the biggest 2 questions, are do we get a top level/tier coach or have to settle, AND will our NIL help or hurt us in making the transition seamless.

We're not getting Hurley. So oats and pearl are by far the best we can actually get. Demonstrated success in the portal/nil era. That absolutely must be the far and away top criteria.

Then who is? It ain’t Billy donavon and it ain’t jay wright. Hurley is the only option better than oats
Kevin Keatts, Dust May, Matt Painter, Brian Dutcher, Jim Larranaga have all accomplished as much or more than Oats in just the last 2 seasons.

Oats is not some major hire. And he has an 18 million dollar buyout. He ain’t happening, dude. Go blow him off somewhere else.

I'm not sold on Oats. I'm not saying he is a hard no, but he's clearly 2nd tier to me.

But I don't want a "quick fix", I want long-term sustained excellence. If it takes a year, so be it. Although with the portal, I don't think it has to take a year with anyone. Now had this happened in June, then yeah 24-25 would be a rebuild year.

To me the biggest 2 questions, are do we get a top level/tier coach or have to settle, AND will our NIL help or hurt us in making the transition seamless.
I suspect there will be more NIL money now that Calipari is gone.

Do you really want 'the most attainable'? I mean, we just got rid of a yahoo who depended on pure offense to drive each game. That didn't turn out well.

Donovan is great because he's a great X's and O's coach who now has a sizeable amount of NBA experience (successful experience). He knows how to win and I'm sure he could adapt to whatever.

Hurley and him have to be priorities.

Oats, as stated above, runs a gimmicky offense that depends on the three-point shot falling and getting back quickly just to slow down the other team. His teams chuck up three-pointers and when they aren't doing that and hitting them, they're losing games. He lost a game to Calipari's Kentucky this year. Think about that for a second.

Plus, and this is a huge plus, I hated how he handled the Miller situation last year. It was disgusting.
I didn’t like how he handled the miller situation either, but oats does what you have to do now. He attacks the portal, he gets a good mix of tainted freshman, he actually uses numbers to help the team, and he is a better scheme and X’s and O’s Coach then cal. Donavon would be a good hire and I would be cool with it, I just question whether he will want to attack the portal and do all that crap since he has been in the league for a while. Hurley is the best option but I just struggle to see a guy leaving after winning back-back titles, which is very likely to happen

If Oats, Pearl, and Drew are our best three options I’d recommend Barnhart call Cal and offer him 15 million to stay. I’m almost not kidding.

• Haha
Reactions: TFCats11

I think Oats’ familiarity with NIL and the portal gives him a head start in the search. Also, his development as a head coach in only a decade is pretty impressive.
And guess what?! He values the SEC tournament!

Kevin Keatts, Dust May, Matt Painter, Brian Dutcher, Jim Larranaga have all accomplished as much or more than Oats in just the last 2 seasons.

Oats is not some major hire. And he has an 18 million dollar buyout. He ain’t happening, dude. Go blow him off somewhere else.
Again you don’t know that at all, and are just speculating. Who do you want then Mr. Know it all?

We're not getting Hurley. So oats and pearl are by far the best we can actually get. Demonstrated success in the portal/nil era. That absolutely must be the far and away top criteria.
I love the grittiness of all Bruce Pearl teams. We haven’t seen that in quite some time. All of his baggage issues are legal now. 😀

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
How is UK going to get past an $18m buyout.

They didn't have the stomach for a Cal buyout spreadout over 7 years.

UK is really going to be paying Bama $18m, even spread out. How bad would that be if he tanks?

We will se about that.

You know what happens when. The head coach fires all the staff? Then he's the next one to take the fall.

Mitch can't afford to botch this, or he's out next.
Mitch is about to be 65. If I were him, I would be thinking about retirement next year. I am sure he probably is. Who wants to deal with that crap in your late 60s? You have a ton of money now to live a very luxurious retirement. Go enjoy it while you still have your health.

My point is, I don't think Mitch gives a crap about long term. He probably just wants a hassle free team for the very short time he has left.

I think Oats’ familiarity with NIL and the portal gives him a head start in the search. Also, his development as a head coach in only a decade is pretty impressive.
And guess what?! He values the SEC tournament!
Any current college coach has a head start over the Tier 1 candidates (except Hurley).
If his development wasn't somewhat impressive, he wouldn't even be a 2nd (or 3rd) tier candidate.
But his resume is no better than Drew, or Smart, or a dozen other guys.
And guess what, the NCAA-T committee does not value the SEC-T.

Mitch is about to be 65. If I were him, I would be thinking about retirement next year. I am sure he probably is. Who wants to deal with that crap in your late 60s? You have a ton of money now to live a very luxurious retirement. Go enjoy it while you still have your health.

My point is, I don't think Mitch gives a crap about long term. He probably just wants a hassle free team for the very short time he has left.

Well, then this will solve itself naturally. Of course, we might have to out up with a final hire of his. But if he retires in 3 years, the new AD is going to come in and have his own ideas on the HC position. And i don't think Mitch is going to so some sort of Calipari type move that tries to screw the school, something like giving Scott Drew some 8 or 10 year guaranteed deal.

Again you don’t know that at all, and are just speculating. Who do you want then Mr. Know it all?
I do know that, though. So do many.

Who I would want would be Wright, Hurley, Donovan and Beard.

Wright is done coaching. Hurley isn't likely to leave Uconn for UK, and Donovan is a gamble since he has been gone so long. Beard is the best, but his baggage hurts him.

I think Drew will be a bad long-term hire, but if he brings his current recruits and some of his players, we may be good short-term.

I think there is zero excitement for Drew.

but he has a next to nothing buyout and a bunch of reasons to want the job.

How is UK going to get past an $18m buyout.

They didn't have the stomach for a Cal buyout spreadout over 7 years.

UK is really going to be paying Bama $18m, even spread out. How bad would that be if he tanks?

Jmo but oats buyout wasn't the issue. That buyout combined with cals was the issue. Now the biggest number is out of the equation.

I do know that, though. So do many.

Who I would want would be Wright, Hurley, Donovan and Beard.

Wright is done coaching. Hurley isn't likely to leave Uconn for UK, and Donovan is a gamble since he has been gone so long. Beard is the best, but his baggage hurts him.

I think Drew will be a bad long-term hire, but if he brings his current recruits and some of his players, we may be good short-term.
I don’t think wright and Hurley happen either. Donavan not coaching college for a while is a gamble as well I agree. I think they can get oats, and he would be a good hire. Ultimately I don’t see Mitch doing it because Mitch likes comfort and what he knows, he is cool with Scott drew so that’s who it will most likely be

Any current college coach has a head start over the Tier 1 candidates (except Hurley).
If his development wasn't somewhat impressive, he wouldn't even be a 2nd (or 3rd) tier candidate.
But his resume is no better than Drew, or Smart, or a dozen other guys.
And guess what, the NCAA-T committee does not value the SEC-T.
And guess what. There’s only 1 team that wins the Big Dance every year. So the next best thing to do is win your conference tournament. At the end of the day, you’re a champion.

If Oats, Pearl, and Drew are our best three options I’d recommend Barnhart call Cal and offer him 15 million to stay. I’m almost not kidding.
I’d take Oats and Pearl all day long over Drew, however there’s not too many walking talking breathing humans alive that can stare $8, $9, $10 plus million per in the face, at a place as storied as UK, and say NO!

You make Hurley, Wright, and Donovan all do just that before you go to the next tier of Oats, Pearl etc. I’d put Drew in that 3rd or even 4 tier of potential options.

If I were to put a wager on it, I think it’s going to be Hurley or Wright, with an outside chance at Donovan, and I say outside chance because he’s been out of the college game for so long.

Reactions: BigBlue1992
reading twitter

58 programs have won more games than UK in the last 4 years.

If the goal is 2009 - 2015, yea, that's going to be hard

If the goal is to improve upon 2020 to now, it won't take a miracle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT