ADVERTISEMENT

Myron Medcalf on Cal and Kentucky.

If you read the comments on the tweet, the vast majority of fans accusing UK of cheating are U of L fans. [roll]

But maybe my very favorite comment came from a Tarheel fan perturbed that UNC was mentioned. He actually made the statement that they have the cleanest program of anyone. [laughing][laughing][laughing]

@Nooneputsbabyinacorner I'm curious of one thing, do you think Kansas will skate because they are innocent of said violations or because the NCAA is so incompetent and inconsistent? You can't possibly believe they weren't cheating their ass off can you? You can't possibly interpret those interactions between Townsend and Gassnola/Self and Gassnola to just be shooting the breeze and not talking about getting players can you? To be honest with you I'm not even trying to crucify you, I've gotten into it with other UK fans on here before for saying I think most everyone in college sports is playing dirty just not everyone is dumb enough to get caught.

So again, I'm really not trying to bust your balls just interested in what you actually believe about the situation.

Not really. You inferred it. After seeing what happened to Georgia Tech, I fully expect the NCAA to hit Kansas with a laundry list of penalties. I just think Kansas will appeal and have them all reduced or removed.

Maybe the NCAA will also apologize to Kansas for the mistake?

The NCAA is judge, jury and the appeal court. It looks to me like the NCAA has found a backbone and they intend to send a message. I think it’s a bad time to be in the NCAA’s crosshairs.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I do. I understand everyone here thinks I'm delusional. I stand by this prediction though.

I know that is your hope. If I were a fan of KU, that would be my hope as well. It is hard to believe that people you have supported actually were cheating, and that the results that you are proud of, like a bunch of Big 12 Championships in a row, were the result of cheating. But, I don't think that appealing any of the penalties that the NCAA issues to Kansas will result in a reduction of them. Whatever penalties they issue will be based on fact, and KU will have no basis for appeal, especially when this has been going on for a while.

@Nooneputsbabyinacorner I'm curious of one thing, do you think Kansas will skate because they are innocent of said violations or because the NCAA is so incompetent and inconsistent? You can't possibly believe they weren't cheating their ass off can you? You can't possibly interpret those interactions between Townsend and Gassnola/Self and Gassnola to just be shooting the breeze and not talking about getting players can you? To be honest with you I'm not even trying to crucify you, I've gotten into it with other UK fans on here before for saying I think most everyone in college sports is playing dirty just not everyone is dumb enough to get caught.

So again, I'm really not trying to bust your balls just interested in what you actually believe about the situation.

Skate because Gassnola is not a booster in any sense of the word unless all agents/aau coaches are boosters for schools that recruit high school kids. Also, Self saying that we need to get better players is what any coach would say to an AAU coach. And Townsend saying he would have to do what it takes can be taken in dozens of ways and there is no evidence for either texts which talks about paying a player.

Skate because Gassnola is not a booster in any sense of the word unless all agents/aau coaches are boosters for schools that recruit high school kids. Also, Self saying that we need to get better players is what any coach would say to an AAU coach. And Townsend saying he would have to do what it takes can be taken in dozens of ways and there is no evidence for either texts which talks about paying a player.

I have no personal knowledge, but I would be willing to bet that they have more than a single conversation to base their NOA. The NCAA has a track record of not accusing a blueblood school of wrongdoing unless they can prove it, and they would not accuse KU of multiple violations based on one phone conversation.

But he is though. He made it clear the Kansas and Self were his priority, and that his only concern was helping Kansas get players. You know, "I've never let you down, except for Deondre". Any third party that helps a school in recruiting is considered a booster. Doesn't matter if "they all do it", Kansas is the school that they have these exchanges with. I'm not saying Kansas will get nailed; I don't know, especially given the arbitrary nature of the NCAA. What I do know is this feels different, because the NCAA has taken a lot of bad publicity since North Carolina.

But he is though. He made it clear the Kansas and Self were his priority, and that his only concern was helping Kansas get players. You know, "I've never let you down, except for Deondre". Any third party that helps a school in recruiting is considered a booster. Doesn't matter if "they all do it", Kansas is the school that they have these exchanges with. I'm not saying Kansas will get nailed; I don't know, especially given the arbitrary nature of the NCAA. What I do know is this feels different, because the NCAA has taken a lot of bad publicity since North Carolina.

Can't control what someone says. You can only control how you respond. All AAU coaches help programs recruit. I read here all the time where Calipari won't recruit a certain school or program because he has been burned or has a sour relationship with a coach/handler.

Can't control what someone says. You can only control how you respond. All AAU coaches help programs recruit. I read here all the time where Calipari won't recruit a certain school or program because he has been burned or has a sour relationship with a coach/handler.

And when he knows that a shoe company is paying a kid's family, or that a handler has his hand out. Apparently, Self did not have the same practice. That is why UK has not been named in any investigations.

You spin it however you want. The fact remains, it appears as if Adidas and Gassnola were actively recruiting for Kansas, and as a result, they are viewed as boosters.

And when he knows that a shoe company is paying a kid's family, or that a handler has his hand out. Apparently, Self did not have the same practice. That is why UK has not been named in any investigations.

Kentucky is a Nike school. This was an investigation related to shoe agents for Adidas. Ergo, no Nike schools were named. Of course, Adidas was bidding against themselves for these kids, because, you know, that makes sense.

You are spinning it the way you want.

Really? Did you read the NOA?

From a KU website: First and foremost, the University emphasizes that it emphatically rejects the assertion that Adidas and Adidas employees and associates were boosters and agents of the University (as defined by NCAA legislation) during the period of the alleged violations and therefore acting on the University’s behalf when they engaged in alleged violations of NCAA bylaws.

Kentucky is a Nike school. This was an investigation related to shoe agents for Adidas. Ergo, no Nike schools were named. Of course, Adidas was bidding against themselves for these kids, because, you know, that makes sense.

No, they were clearly bidding against Maryland and Under Armour for DeSousa! [roll]

Reactions: nookam
Not really. You inferred it. After seeing what happened to Georgia Tech, I fully expect the NCAA to hit Kansas with a laundry list of penalties. I just think Kansas will appeal and have them all reduced or removed.
It’s one thing to be a homer... I get that but it’s another when you are blind to the mounting evidence. At the bare minimum Self has completely lost institutional control.

Text messages showed that during the time KU was recruiting De Sousa, KU coaches were aware that Gassnola was in contact with De Sousa’s guardian, Fenny Falmagne.

Gassnola testified that Townsend asked him to contact De Sousa’s guardian. Falmagne told The Star he wanted to see if Adidas would send gear it didn’t need to Angola’s national team.

Third parties and/or boosters are not allowed to provide anything with monetary value to a recruit or the recruit’s family or guardian. It is possible the NCAA deems it inappropriate for Townsend to ask Gassnola to send gear to Angola.

I can't remember when the NCAA lost an appeal, considering they control the appeal process. Once again we have to keep reminding you this not a court of law.
The NCAA has been successfully sued in court several times. Many appeals inside the NCAA system have resulted in changes or revised findings. To name one, Xavier Peters was recently ruled eligible for 2019.

Coach Cal has this horrible reputation pushed by the media but nothing close to a scandal here. Meanwhile, Medcalf doesn't mention Duke because, unlike every other school (including Louisville, UNC, and Arizona), NCAA let's Duke self-investigate. They will never even acknowledge that Coach K could have done anything wrong. I absolutely love Coach Cal but I am not so naive to believe he is perfect, nor is any other major sports coach in the country. We should be proud of our program in terms of both what we have accomplished and how we have accomplished it, especially over the last decade with the cesspool that is college athletics.

If you read the comments on the tweet, the vast majority of fans accusing UK of cheating are U of L fans. [roll]
Whomever is the UofL fan that was on ESPNLouisville radio with Deener this morning - Mike somebody? Mark? - was talking about Louisville's apparently disappointing recruiting haul thus far. At one point he said something like "and nobody can do that, except Kentucky - gee, I wonder how that happens." You hear little barbs like that all the time in this town and specifically on that channel. So......they have an assistant coach running hookers through a dorm, and another assistant coach on wiretap arranging to pay one recruit $100,000 and a second recruit $125,000.....and the response to that is to make snide remarks about Kentucky cheating.

So stupid.

Last edited:
The NCAA has been successfully sued in court several times. Many appeals inside the NCAA system have resulted in changes or revised findings. To name one, Xavier Peters was recently ruled eligible for 2019.
I was referring to penalties against Universities, not eligibility issues.

Rival fans, some on this very board have been accusing Cal and UK of cheating ever since he set foot on UK’s campus over 10 years ago.
I’m not a rival fan first and foremost. All of that mostly stemmed from the Rose bs. I myself have never accused Coach Cal as a cheater. But have yourself a nice day.

Really? Did you read the NOA?

From a KU website: First and foremost, the University emphasizes that it emphatically rejects the assertion that Adidas and Adidas employees and associates were boosters and agents of the University (as defined by NCAA legislation) during the period of the alleged violations and therefore acting on the University’s behalf when they engaged in alleged violations of NCAA bylaws.

The alleged response to the allegations, against the alleged Coaches in the alleged incident were alleged to be by Adidas employees who are alleged to be boosters. They allegedly gave money on behalf of KU who allegedly new nothing of the payments. The phone transcript is alleged to be of Self who allegedly encouraged the alleged payoffs. Of course, this is all speculation and is only alleged. KU allegedly believes the allegations to be false.

Quite frankly, I don't give 3 hoots whether Gassnola is considered a booster, or not. It is without question that he gave money to recruits to attend KU, while Self encouraged it. This is impermissible benefits, regardless of whether it was from a booster or not. The coach knew about it, encouraged it, and played a kid who was ineligible. Now, if you think some semantics over whether an employee of Adidas is a booster or not will make a difference, then you just keep wishing and hoping. As the old saying goes, wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first.

I do. I understand everyone here thinks I'm delusional. I stand by this prediction though.
Feeling bad for you...
Do yourself a favor and read

https://publicaffairs.ku.edu/sites/publicaffairs.ku.edu/files/docs/NOA to KU.pdf

Sorry it’s overwhelming what the ncaa included and. Tbh I think they were being nice. They could of added so much more.

Institutional control. I mean besides self allowing kids and directing payments to recruits his program is a hot mess. His players are continuously in the news for the wrong reasons, beating up their girl friends. Kicking cars. Alleged rape that was swept underneath the toupee Bragg and his drug problem. Your assistant coach buying and smoking weed with the players. It’s a dumpster fire Kansas fans should be grateful NOA was written with narrow scope.

Townsend left California with the schools worst punishment and he will make it two schools in a row when he’s fired and Kansas is buried.

He forgot to mention Duke. Half their players that have played for Duke were mentioned at other schools trying to get money, while getting recruited. Then they end up at Duke??
Yep, I've been noticing that as well. All these players were offered money to play at others schools and it's documented in these cases. Yet, we're to believe, though they were being shopped to the highest bidder, they ended up at Duke for the love of the game or for the love of Coach K? If anyone actually believes that, I'd love to talk to you about an amazing real estate opportunity of some ocean front property in North Dakota.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT