ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on the game tonight

GermantownDawg

All-American
Sep 9, 2001
Just my opinion, but instead of trying to shield his young players from the media, I might lean into a little cockiness if I was Cal. Talk his guys up like they’re the sh*t. I think this team could respond well to that.

I’m not sure what Cal’s rotations are normally like, but going with a short bench did wonders. You can’t play four players for 30+ minutes every night, but in big ones you might need to. You can play Bradshaw more against the likes of us. Mitchell gives you eight solid in a rotation. Not much need to go beyond that.

There is a massive difference in defensive efficiency with Onyenso in there. I would love to see what his + - numbers look like. He alters everything. Team plays with more confidence defensively with him in there. You don’t have to get very exotic with rotations when you have someone like that. Stay home, fight over ball screens and know you have help.

Guards win in March. When you have a core of Dilly, Shep, DJ, and AR, your team is capable of making a run in March. Not saying they will, but it’s a capable group if they’re playing with confidence.

Good confidence building win. Don’t want to extrapolate too much from one game, but it sort of felt like you had to have it and you got it. Celebrate it.

.02 from a casual observer.

Just my opinion, but instead of trying to shield his young players from the media, I might lean into a little cockiness if I was Cal. Talk his guys up like they’re the sh*t. I think this team could respond well to that.

I’m not sure what Cal’s rotations are normally like, but going with a short bench did wonders. You can’t play four players for 30+ minutes every night, but in big ones you might need to. You can play Bradshaw more against the likes of us. Mitchell gives you eight solid in a rotation. Not much need to go beyond that.

There is a massive difference in defensive efficiency with Onyenso in there. I would love to see what his + - numbers look like. He alters everything. Team plays with more confidence defensively with him in there. You don’t have to get very exotic with rotations when you have someone like that. Stay home, fight over ball screens and know you have help.

Guards win in March. When you have a core of Dilly, Shep, DJ, and AR, your team is capable of making a run in March. Not saying they will, but it’s a capable group if they’re playing with confidence.

Good confidence building win. Don’t want to extrapolate too much from one game, but it sort of felt like you had to have it and you got it. Celebrate it.

I completely agree with the comments on Ugo. I think the guards are starting to adjust to having a shot blocker behind them now so they can play up on their man a little more.

I really like to hear from solid basketball fans that don't have a dog in the fight ( pun intended) over the Calipari issue. You're are, and have been a knowledgeable and respectful person for a very long time and I like your take on things. Even though UGA's record isn't great this year I think it's moving in the right direction.

Reactions: GermantownDawg
I completely agree with the comments on Ugo. I think the guards are starting to adjust to having a shot blocker behind them now so they can play up on their man a little more.

Hopefully this is the result of the staff watching film and realizing that the guards helping in the paint has been our #1 Achilles heel all season. Just stay between your man and the basket, and good things will happen. It’s sad that it took 7 losses for the staff to see what was plain to see after about the 3rd-4th loss. This is not a bash post, I’m just disappointed. Cal typically does adjust, eventually. But it’s often not until we’ve blown our shot at a good seed. But better late than never I guess. Hope it continues.

I really like to hear from solid basketball fans that don't have a dog in the fight ( pun intended) over the Calipari issue. You're are, and have been a knowledgeable and respectful person for a very long time and I like your take on things. Even though UGA's record isn't great this year I think it's moving in the right direction.
I hope so. We’ll have to recruit the talent to get there. SEC is as deep as I’ve ever seen it. Appreciate the kind words.

Reactions: MissingWCC
You don’t have to all the sudden become a top 10 defense, but if you become respectable with that offense, it could be lethal.
Yes, this is true. We our offensive ability, we just need to be a good defensive team, not great. I've said it multiple times about this particular team while watching games. We just need to be able to get a few stops here and there and we would win. But for a stretch there, we weren't getting any, or at least very few.

Good posts germantowndawg. 👍

Good post, OP.

You are right that we have 8 solid players.

G Sheppard/Wagner
G Dillingham/Wagner/Reeves
G Reeves/Edwards
F Thiero/Mitchell/Edwards
F Onyenso/Mitchell

That’s the 8-man rotation to play moving forward. Those 8 take us as far as we can go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT