ADVERTISEMENT

My theory on our defensive struggles

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I'm certainly not denying the defense has been an issue. Giving up 70 points, 45 rebounds, including 24 offensive rebounds to Illinois State is a problem. However, I think part of our issue is just human nature due to how good we are offensively. We gave up 70 but we scored 96. When you're winning by 20+ most of the game, it's easy to become satisfied just trading baskets. In most of our games, we haven't had to play shut down defense or focus on boxing out for rebounds. I think that's what happened with the IL State game.

Now, having said this, at Florida is next, followed by Missouri, and then at Texas A&M. Those teams are all better than both Louisville and IL State. I'm glad Calipari isn't letting this slide. If this team can learn to play defense and learn to rebound at a similar level to the way they score, this team really could be a legit national title contender.

I would agree with the logic but it seems like a lot of the defensive struggles have come early. When the game has really not gotten off the ground. Even ISU came out last night and led 5 minutes in.
Yes, this is true. That’s when the issue is most glaring. We always have slow starts offensively and our defense isn't good enough to keep these teams from getting good looks, and it seems every team comes in to Rupp ready to play their best for 20,000. They always shoot well, and someone usually has a career high or shoots uncharacteristically well.

I would also say, some of the problem with the beginning of the game is that we don't have our best team on the floor. It happened to start the game and then it happened again to start the 2nd half. Sheppard and Dillingham were both on the bench in those slow starts. Once they came in, one of them was pretty much always on the floor.

Yes, this is true. That’s when the issue is most glaring. We always have slow starts offensively and our defense isn't good enough to keep these teams from getting good looks, and it seems every team comes in to Rupp ready to play their best for 20,000. They always shoot well, and someone usually has a career high or shoots uncharacteristically well.

I would also say, some of the problem with the beginning of the game is that we don't have our best team on the floor. It happened to start the game and then it happened again to start the 2nd half. Sheppard and Dillingham were both on the bench in those slow starts. Once they came in, one of them was pretty much always on the floor.
THIS. It's amazing how much people on this board are willing to tapdance around the issue. Sheppard and Dilly should start at least once together to see how the game starts.

The 24 offensive rebounds is a serious thing, even Calipari is worried about it. He brought it up twice in the postgame.

I'm certainly not denying the defense has been an issue. Giving up 70 points, 45 rebounds, including 24 offensive rebounds to Illinois State is a problem. However, I think part of our issue is just human nature due to how good we are offensively. We gave up 70 but we scored 96. When you're winning by 20+ most of the game, it's easy to become satisfied just trading baskets. In most of our games, we haven't had to play shut down defense or focus on boxing out for rebounds. I think that's what happened with the IL State game.

Now, having said this, at Florida is next, followed by Missouri, and then at Texas A&M. Those teams are all better than both Louisville and IL State. I'm glad Calipari isn't letting this slide. If this team can learn to play defense and learn to rebound at a similar level to the way they score, this team really could be a legit national title contender.
Enough of the what ifs.....if this team does not play defense and rebound we are headed for yet another disappointing season....about 9 in a row.

The 70 points doesn't come close to happening if not for the 24 OR's. As for rebounding, much like defense, that is mostly effort based. I was unathletic and a hair under 6', but was a good rebounder, better than I should have been given my height and vertical. How? Because when the shot went up, and everyone else freezes, I would move, find the open spot, get to the weakside, spin around a blockout.
I know this was on the offensive glass, not defensive, but too many times I've seen Mitchell and Bradshaw and Edwards simply head back up the court on a missed shot even before the other team has possession. It's like in their head they are thinking "I'm blocked out, so no point in me even trying". WTF! You don't see Theiro giving up like that. Edwards does do a bit more work on the offensive glass, and Bradshaw did 1 game.

We also play super fast, which means that while we get more possessions, the other team does as well. The more opportunities your opponent has to score, the more likely they are to hang a higher number on you.

We just need to keep scoring more than the other team :)

My theory is Cal can't coach defense .

Reactions: IL Wildcat
On top of what everyone said in regards to possessions.. I just think we should keep focusing on offense.

I'd rather see us shoot nearly 50% from the 3s and keep our focus on making shots than trying to hold teams to under 60.

It's very hard to do both well, you generally butter your bread with one or the other. And after a few years of watching us focus on defense, and look poor offensively, I like this change. And you know what? It has us near the top5.

Last edited:
Overall points given up shouldn't be paid attention to. We play fast. The more possessions the more points we are going to both score and give up on defense.

It's all about looking at things on a points per possession basis. That's really all that matters here.

But even factoring that, we need to be better on defense. You do not want to be what I call "one sided" come tournament time. Those are the ones that tend to get upset in the tournament.

We are 53rd in defensive efficiency. Granted that's not 103rd like you see with some extreme teams in the past but it's still a number that IMO needs to get better.

The thing is we don't really do anything particularly well on defense. We are 104th in effective FG%, 106th in turnover %, 119th in rebounding % and 117th in free throw rate. We block a ton of shots (10th in the NCAA) but still manage to let teams shoot 49% from 2 on us.

I'm not all concerned about offense. We've had good offensive teams under Cal pretty consistently despite the fact we were playing in an "outdated" offense. Post 15 it's been the defense that's been an issue and continues to be this season.

Cal's team used to get progressively better defensively as the season went on.
In recent years they do not improve at all. I mean I sat there screaming at my tv Friday because Ugonna a 2nd year guy would not put his hands up on defense which diminishes his greatest defensive asset. His length. And if I watch another one of our players get shot faked up in the air by another shorter player, I may have to buy a new television. This same nonsense has been going on for several years now with different players, which leaves only one common denominator yet again. Coaching. We will be playing very physical teams here soon who will give us very few easy looks and they will make it a rock fight if they can. If we can't buckle down and get stops, we will lose.

Yeah the biggest difference between pre 15 and post 15 numbers on defense is two point FG%. We used to be top 10 in this year in and year out. It's completely fallen off the cliff after 2015.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Overall points given up shouldn't be paid attention to. We play fast. The more possessions the more points we are going to both score and give up on defense.

It's all about looking at things on a points per possession basis. That's really all that matters here.

But even factoring that, we need to be better on defense. You do not want to be what I call "one sided" come tournament time. Those are the ones that tend to get upset in the tournament.

We are 53rd in defensive efficiency. Granted that's not 103rd like you see with some extreme teams in the past but it's still a number that IMO needs to get better.

The thing is we don't really do anything particularly well on defense. We are 104th in effective FG%, 106th in turnover %, 119th in rebounding % and 117th in free throw rate. We block a ton of shots (10th in the NCAA) but still manage to let teams shoot 49% from 2 on us.

I'm not all concerned about offense. We've had good offensive teams under Cal pretty consistently despite the fact we were playing in an "outdated" offense. Post 15 it's been the defense that's been an issue and continues to be this season.
This. Points per possession is exactly what metric we should be looking at. No brainer.

In recent years they do not improve at all. I mean I sat there screaming at my tv Friday because Ugonna a 2nd year guy would not put his hands up on defense which diminishes his greatest defensive asset. His length. And if I watch another one of our players get shot faked up in the air by another shorter player, I may have to buy a new television. This same nonsense has been going on for several years now with different players, which leaves only one common denominator yet again. Coaching. We will be playing very physical teams here soon who will give us very few easy looks and they will make it a rock fight if they can. If we can't buckle down and get stops, we will lose.
I’ve noticed this as well, with several of our players in recent years. For whatever reason, they don’t have their hands up. Like wtf? That’s basic, day one stuff.

This is fine, but what happens when the shots aren’t falling. You have to be able to play good defense or you are going home in a one and done scenario.

What is our points per possession % and ranking? This would be a better indicator.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

I get it. We still need some kind of defense if we are going to win the title. Otherwise we will be the USC Trojans of college basketball

We need to be better at defense but it’s not as bad to me as some on here act. Give me this over a slowed up game that makes it look like we are good at defense .

And don’t get me started at people who complain about the defense even when a guy hits a tough contested shot .

Ideally, you'd want the best of both worlds.

We can play better defense and still play fast on offense.

It's similar to say Virginia who played at snails pace in that title year but we was still good on offense.

That's why things need to be looked on a per possession basis. It strips pace out of the equation.

Scoring 80 points in a 60 possession game is great offense.
Scoring 80 points in a 80 possession game............not so much.

Currently this is where we are at

UK 118.8 (8th) 97.3 (53rd) = Efficiency Margin of 21.57 (18th)

So the offense could get better but there's a bit a ceiling on that one considering we already have a top 10 offense. There's just more room for the defensive number to get lower.

Ideally you'd want top 20 in both. Especially when the tournament is one and done and one aspect of your team just might not show up one night and you can be sent packing. If the offense has an off night you want to know you have a defense that can still win you the game. Same the other way around.

that is because we were relying on 5th year transfers
as the old saying goes "you can't teach old dogs new tricks"

If you you have the atheleticism to play good offense, you should have the atheleticism to play good defense. Learn to do it.
Although years and years ago after playing PG for 8 years, there one thing needed for great defense and that's WANT TO. Tyler Ulis is proof. Especially when your smaller than most on the floor if you don't excel in defense your not going to play. If all the players had an attitude like Ulis had number 9 would be very feasible.

The defensive issues with this team is simply youth.

They just don’t know. We have some guys that can guard very well if it was one on one basketball.

But they don’t understand yet whether to go under or over screen or to switch. They aren’t talking enough.

They don’t understand help defense .

They gamble too much as do most freshmen.

They are getting better. I hate this one game a week thing for the last month or more but it gives more practice time. Which is why Cal does it.

The next Cal defensive teams don’t get a lot of steals. They play great first shot defense, block shots and rebound.

We are now starting to block shots.

They are starting to gamble less and stay home.

Now we have to rebound.

Everyone talked about Oscar’s bad defense. But defensive rebounds are defense.

We are missing that.

It’s not as pronounced a problem because we are not turning it over 14-15 times a game.

Yea...I get it. Adjustments isn't our coaches cup of tea.
Not on defense, it’s not. The tried and true Iba, Knight, Brown straight up man, switch everything and rebound.

If he ever should have played zone it was the last 2 seasons.

This team is going to get it.

Last 2 seasons we had zone players playing man defense.

Not on defense, it’s not. The tried and true Iba, Knight, Brown straight up man, switch everything and rebound.

If he ever should have played zone it was the last 2 seasons.

This team is going to get it.

Last 2 seasons we had zone players playing man defense.
Curious, what teams use zone as primary D? All i see is mantoman.

Our defensive Four Factors are ranked between 100 and 130 across the board. There isn't deficit in a single area that's a death sentence, but rather our true weakness is that we aren't particularly strong in any of the Four Factors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT