ADVERTISEMENT

I like Cal’s you have to earn the right to play ….

+/- can be a very misleading stat. Do you know why the whole damn team came up to him after that last steal to give him props? And why Cal gave him a hug? Because they know he's had a tough game and could use the pick me up.

Wagner played very good night. There are only 40 minutes in a game, I swear if y'all start complaining every time your preferred guys don't get enough playing time it's going to be a really annoying year.
Reed was a +16 tonight and did not score a point. What were the ratings for the other 7 that played? Interesting that Cal wasn’t bullheaded enough to keep out during the overtime.

…. I just wished it was true for ALL PLAYERS . Good Lord …

Start Reed at point, move Wagner or Dilly to shooting / cutting guard, Edwards comes off bench, to spell Thiero ( AND make them practice against each other) so Adou can show Edwards what having heart & hustle will do for the team.
Cal should be ripped for not treating players fair and also not doing what is best for the team as a whole. Keep your best player on the floor! Quit taking chances with us winning or losing. Messing with a player, a team and a program just like he has always done.

• Haha
Reactions: awf
Cal should be ripped for not treating players fair and also not doing what is best for the team as a whole. Keep your best player on the floor! Quit taking chances with us winning or losing. Messing with a player, a team and a program just like he has always done.
He just has different priorities than Rupp, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, and Smith. There’s was winning for UK. His is transforming lives, getting players to the NBA, and if, that translates into winning so be it.

At the end of the season when we flame out, Cal will do his usual passive/aggressive attack on the fans, tell us not to bash the players because he just couldn't drag them across the finish line blah blah blah...

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Yes and the argument of starting lineup not mattering is bullshit. you have shown your lack of knowledge.
I explained in post 7 why you don’t demote the starters at this stage in the season. Punishing the starters this early in the season does more harm than good. Most coaches understand that

You also have 0 proof that Cal is doing it to play favorites. You just hate him so bad that you’ve lost perspective.

I explained in post 7 why you don’t demote the starters at this stage in the season. Punishing the starters this early in the season does more harm than good. Most coaches understand that

You also have 0 proof that Cal is doing it to play favorites. You just hate him so bad that you’ve lost perspective.
and your post 7 is illogical. In post 3 you wrote it doesn’t matter who starts and then you imply in post 7 it will destroy Wagner and Edwards confidence if they are removed. Well then it seems it is important and matters who starts in some form.

Thank goodness Pitino didn’t believe that when he quickly moved Epps into the starting lineup after the UMass loss. And before you say I want Pitino back, that would be absolutely incorrect.

Grow up. I don’t hate Cal. I don’t know Cal. I see his product and it is often subpar. Hell even the announcers were commenting. I guess they “hate” Cal and have lost perspective?

i simply would like a coach who practices what he publicly espouses. “You have to earn it.” His going back to the starting lineup every 2nd half regardless of who is playing well is just illogical—and it is not all about Wagner and Reed. If you don’t see that Cal plays his chosen ones, when he has even publicly stated that he doesn’t want to steal a kids heart by removing him as a starter along with other comments, then we just need to agree to disagree.

and your post 7 is illogical. In post 3 you wrote it doesn’t matter who starts and then you imply in post 7 it will destroy Wagner and Edwards confidence if they are removed. Well then it seems it is important and matters who starts in some form.

Thank goodness Pitino didn’t believe that when he quickly moved Epps into the starting lineup after the UMass loss. And before you say I want Pitino back, that would be absolutely incorrect.

Grow up. I don’t hate Cal. I don’t know Cal. I see his product and it is often subpar. Hell even the announcers were commenting. I guess they “hate” Cal and have lost perspective?

i simply would like a coach who practices what he publicly espouses. “You have to earn it.” His going back to the starting lineup every 2nd half regardless of who is playing well is just illogical—and it is not all about Wagner and Reed. If you don’t see that Cal plays his chosen ones, when he has even publicly stated that he doesn’t want to steal a kids heart by removing him as a starter along with other comments, then we just need to agree to disagree.
Well Wagner played his best game last night. He may have just earned it. I guess we will see how it progresses.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
It shouldn't be hard to start your best starting 5. But it's always been hard for Cal. We should want to put the 5 out there that gives us the best chance to win. Same as get off to a good start. I love this team. But I do wish Cal would start Dillingham & Shep. I just thing they play a faster pace.

Reactions: NociHTTP
It is when you spot the other team 10 points before you bring in the horses.
That has happened once (twice if you don't split hairs about 8 to 10 points) this season.

-It was 4 points tonight. A deficit for sure. Double digits, no.

-It was 10-10 when they came in during the Stonehill game.

-KU was up 11-5 when Reed came in. It was 11-3 when Dilly came in.

-It was double digits for the TAMU-CC game. 21-10 from the looks of it

-UK was up 10-6 on NMSU when Reed and Dillingham came in that first game.

We can talk about it a sec. Ok so we have these 4 guards. Do you agree that we need all 4 to be good this season? I bet you do. We can also
Agree that dilly and reed have been a surprise compared to DJ and Edwards (or vice versa). We are 5 games into the season. Our only loss is to Kansas in a game in which we looked great. To bench DJ and/or Edwards is a huge vote of no confidence. Do you think that will have a positive impact on their confidence? Like it or not, we need those two to start playing with more confidence

I don’t know how much coaching you have done but tinkering with the starting lineup 5 games into a season in which your team is 4-1 is no small
Action. Reed and dilly have been amazing off the bench. A confident spark off the bench. Now if we are 1-5 then maybe you make that change, but we are not. There is no need to make this change. Now if you want to argue that Reed needs more minutes then I can get with that. I think he needs more minutes. But he doesn’t need to start to get them. We’ve had starters end up with less minutes than the 6th man. It’s not that uncommon.

I also don’t think we fall behind double digits every game. No need for hyperbole
That has happened once (twice if you don't split hairs about 8 to 10 points) this season

And not benching them is what is wrong with society these days. Afraid to hurt someone’s feelings, suck it up babies, you think you can play in the NBA? You think a NBA team lets them play thru it or try to win games? They can’t take criticism, hope they make the NBA because you don’t perform in the civilian sector they fire you, not let you sit around and figure it out. (They have only played basketball their whole lives)

And not benching them is what is wrong with society these days. Afraid to hurt someone’s feelings, suck it up babies, you think you can play in the NBA? You think a NBA team lets them play thru it or try to win games? They can’t take criticism, hope they make the NBA because you don’t perform in the civilian sector they fire you, not let you sit around and figure it out. (They have only played basketball their whole lives)
That is a different argument than the flat out lie you posted earlier.

Complaining all year about this is going to get so annoying. Reed has been awful tonight. He's been getting torched all night on defense. If anyone hasn't earned time tonight it's been him.
Yes...just a +16 on the night which is twice any other player. It's much more than just scoring pts.

Reactions: grevey35
Y’all still want to change the starting lineup or nah?
Theiro had a better +/- than DJ. DJ should be benched until he can get his +/- as good as Theiro's.

Reeds +/- was lower than Theiro's too. Maybe Cal should give him some of Reed's minutes.

Or maybe all of the ridiculous wanting to bench a kid after every game can just stop.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Theiro had a better +/- than DJ. DJ should be benched until he can get his +/- as good as Theiro's.

Reeds +/- was lower than Theiro's too. Maybe Cal should give him some of Reed's minutes.

Or maybe all of the ridiculous wanting to bench a kid after every game can just stop.
Cal needs to just bench when it's appropriate. We've seen him already this year let one player stay in even after multiple miscues, and then another has one miscue and they're on the bench for 5 minutes. Or, Cal yanks a player right in the middle of their hot streak (Dillingham vs. KU - dude was on fire, hadn't missed a shot or made a mistake, but was mysteriously yanked, came back in cold and picked up a 2nd foul). He's notoriously done this over the last few years, and it's infuriating because it's seemed that's when a team makes a comeback.

I like Reed and Dillingham off the bench, but I also would like to see Cal use the bench more quickly with dumb / freshman mistakes, equally and across the board, regardless of the player. I will say that it appears he has done a bit more of this over the last two games. The real test is will he keep doing it against top 25 teams, or was that just a flash in the pan for the weaker non-con games? We'll get our answer Tuesday night at Rupp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT