ADVERTISEMENT

My issue with the Holding penalty

Sep 24, 2017
Long post beware.

Yea we made mistakes tonight that may have made it to where we deserved to lose. But Florida deserved to lose more. Just plain and simple. My issue with that holding call is that rewatch, again, again and again. He is clearly being blocked. Then he loses his footing and falls down ON HIS OWN. So when a player gets outplayed and accidentally falls down without being held or thrown down it's a hold? He wasn't thrown to the damned ground because of some bad position by Haynes. He fell on his own. He wasn't held at any point. That's called blocking, that's called football. And quite frankly I'm tired of it. As one of stoops FORMER biggest critics. I've been a believer in his work for awhile now. Yes this playing not to lose stuff is silly to me also. He's always been that way with a lead unfortunately. Yes not guarding a WR twice is absolutely ridiculous It certainly was nonsense. Second one might've helped us cuz at the game I was certain bout UF scoring was just kinda hoping someway a turnover or at least 45 seconds on the clock to have a chance to get downfield. And we got that.

And another player I've backed up and never loss doubt in is Johnson. Reading this board y'all are out of your damned mind and just mostly terrible fans. I said in the offseason that Stephen Johnson will go down as one of the all time great QBs here and that his accuracy exponentially improved by seasons end. What did I get? He's not even a average QB and abunch of laughing at me poking fun. And reading these boards before the EKU game people crying and pleading for Barker. Get a grip that bunch clearly knows nothing about the sport. We saw how that worked against EKU. What about that loss on that garbage call last night? FARRR stoops the refs had to steal the game from him and he made too many mistakes. Like seriously fire stoops? He can't get the refs to call delay of game or not call trash holding. He should've ended streak twice. Before last season. I was all on board the fire stoops train but had way more hope once Dawson was fired (what an awful hire he was) but was still very skeptical. Last year he turned me into a believer. Last nights loss doesn't change my faith in what stoops is doing here.

This is the first time in my lifetime a UK defense has had quality starters and depth top to bottom. I wasn't as mad leaving the stadium as I was when I got home. At the stadium even tho I didn't see the hold I gave the ref the benefit of the doubt. Seeing that replay though? Cmon man we got that call only because Kentucky is on our chests and Florida is on the chest of those players and the refs had a stake in it. Our men gave it there all tonight. Stephen Johnson did what he needed for us to win. Purely gut wrenching. If I were stoops and that rich I'd offer my salary for the year or at least half to the SEC to get that ref out of here. No room for that, to steal a win that meant so much from young men who left everything on the field and deserved the win because what you're a grumpy old slouch? Stand up for the damned players. I can no longer keep watching this ish because of garbage calls like that. It's just unreal and completely pathetic.

He wasn't held, he got beat, lost his footing and fell he WAS NOT thrown down. He simply fell down all on his own he wasn't thrown down so when a player falls on their own it's a hold? I'll never get over that Florida just wasn't expecting the run and the guy got beat. So when you block someone and they fall on own it's a hold? Jesus Christ. Met a Florida fan who bet UK to beat the spread. He got exactly what he wanted couldn't believe it. But at 9 minutes left I believe and still up 13 I said I've seen this song and dance before. But how many times has UK been on the receiving end of that last genius call of a run? How many times have we screamed for a terrible hold call when a team gets in position to seal the game. Personally never once have I, unless it was obvious or something. I just sit there and say typical because the defense got gashed. But this time. Our QB deserved that win and he got screwed.

Stephen Johnson. You're going down as an all time UK great like I said in the offseason. Best UK QB of my lifetime (I was around for couch. In '99 I was 6 at the time). Pure clutch. Thanks for giving your all and pouring it all out on the field after taking dirty hit after dirty hit. You've done great with ball security. And even though many of us have given up on the season since it seems like it just ended. I know you aren't and I know a great season is still in store and I couldn't be happier to call you my Quarterback you're the epitome of everything a great individual is supposed to be.

I legit thought 11-1 was a possibility with a win last night. Thanks trash ref if we had any other name on our chest the whole country would be blasting you but since we're UK everyone wants to act like you made some sort of obvious call and say Kentucky being Kentucky. Pfft. Make that call in that situation in a super bowl you WILL get fired.

Johnson is one of my favorites but let's not go overboard with it. Couch, Lorenzon, and Woodson were pretty dang good. We will never know how good Johnson will be in this conservative game plan.
He's better than hefty lefty and Woodson IMO. Woodson didn't have the same deep ball and didn't have the same accuracy and didn't have the same damned ice in his veins that Johnson has. I've seen Woodson get rattled before. Have never seen Johnson get rattled. He's just a cool cat. Feel terrible for him today because he won us that game and it was stolen from him. That 4th down throw was as clutch as it gets.

Reactions: law1127
He's better than hefty lefty and Woodson IMO. Woodson didn't have the same deep ball and didn't have the same accuracy and didn't have the same damned ice in his veins that Johnson has. I've seen Woodson get rattled before. Have never seen Johnson get rattled. He's just a cool cat. Feel terrible for him today because he won us that game and it was stolen from him. That 4th down throw was as clutch as it gets.
It is too early to say. Lorenzen started for 4 years. Woodson was our leader during an important resurgence for our program. Let's wait and see what kind of a season SJ has in 2017. But I respect what he has done so far.

It is too early to say. Lorenzen started for 4 years. Woodson was our leader during an important resurgence for our program. Let's wait and see what kind of a season SJ has in 2017. But I respect what he has done so far.
Well these were my thoughts before the season also just sticking with it because I think our fans have heavily undervalued him when I read this board after first game and before the season even I couldnt believe the trash I was reading regarding Johnson he made every pass needed the USM game he did everything he was supposed to do the play calling was just way too manilla that game. As deflated as I am this is still a 9 win season.

Best thought post of the season...and shows how silly many fans are

1. Many wanted Barker over Johnson and look how goofy those thoughts are in hindsight
2. Now we want to fire Stoops and I guess now Jeff Brohm is the next big thing! And trying to outscore people at uk in sec sounds like a great idea
3. That holding call was pure crap and it happens in sec each year. Sec is only conference with just a handful of teams that Ever win the league...I wonder why

Is Stoops perfect.....no but we are building and are solid with Gran and hinshaw on board. Let's keep putting good teams on field year over year and see what we can do vs knee jerk fan reacriknd

Last edited:

1. Many wanted Barker over Johnson and look how goofy those thoughts are in hindsight
2. Now we want to fire Stoops and I guess now Jeff Brohm is the nest. Eat thing! And trying to outscore people at uk in sec sounds like a great idea
3. That holding call was pure crap and it happens in sec each year. Sec is only conference with just a handful of teams that Ever win the league...I wonder why

Is Stoops perfect.....no but we are building and are solid with Gran and hinshaw on board. Let's keep putting good teams on field year over year and see what we can do vs knee jerk fan reacriknd

Nice post.

Long post beware.

Yea we made mistakes tonight that may have made it to where we deserved to lose. But Florida deserved to lose more. Just plain and simple. My issue with that holding call is that rewatch, again, again and again. He is clearly being blocked. Then he loses his footing and falls down ON HIS OWN. So when a player gets outplayed and accidentally falls down without being held or thrown down it's a hold? He wasn't thrown to the damned ground because of some bad position by Haynes. He fell on his own. He wasn't held at any point. That's called blocking, that's called football. And quite frankly I'm tired of it. As one of stoops FORMER biggest critics. I've been a believer in his work for awhile now. Yes this playing not to lose stuff is silly to me also. He's always been that way with a lead unfortunately. Yes not guarding a WR twice is absolutely ridiculous It certainly was nonsense. Second one might've helped us cuz at the game I was certain bout UF scoring was just kinda hoping someway a turnover or at least 45 seconds on the clock to have a chance to get downfield. And we got that.

And another player I've backed up and never loss doubt in is Johnson. Reading this board y'all are out of your damned mind and just mostly terrible fans. I said in the offseason that Stephen Johnson will go down as one of the all time great QBs here and that his accuracy exponentially improved by seasons end. What did I get? He's not even a average QB and abunch of laughing at me poking fun. And reading these boards before the EKU game people crying and pleading for Barker. Get a grip that bunch clearly knows nothing about the sport. We saw how that worked against EKU. What about that loss on that garbage call last night? FARRR stoops the refs had to steal the game from him and he made too many mistakes. Like seriously fire stoops? He can't get the refs to call delay of game or not call trash holding. He should've ended streak twice. Before last season. I was all on board the fire stoops train but had way more hope once Dawson was fired (what an awful hire he was) but was still very skeptical. Last year he turned me into a believer. Last nights loss doesn't change my faith in what stoops is doing here.

This is the first time in my lifetime a UK defense has had quality starters and depth top to bottom. I wasn't as mad leaving the stadium as I was when I got home. At the stadium even tho I didn't see the hold I gave the ref the benefit of the doubt. Seeing that replay though? Cmon man we got that call only because Kentucky is on our chests and Florida is on the chest of those players and the refs had a stake in it. Our men gave it there all tonight. Stephen Johnson did what he needed for us to win. Purely gut wrenching. If I were stoops and that rich I'd offer my salary for the year or at least half to the SEC to get that ref out of here. No room for that, to steal a win that meant so much from young men who left everything on the field and deserved the win because what you're a grumpy old slouch? Stand up for the damned players. I can no longer keep watching this ish because of garbage calls like that. It's just unreal and completely pathetic.

He wasn't held, he got beat, lost his footing and fell he WAS NOT thrown down. He simply fell down all on his own he wasn't thrown down so when a player falls on their own it's a hold? I'll never get over that Florida just wasn't expecting the run and the guy got beat. So when you block someone and they fall on own it's a hold? Jesus Christ. Met a Florida fan who bet UK to beat the spread. He got exactly what he wanted couldn't believe it. But at 9 minutes left I believe and still up 13 I said I've seen this song and dance before. But how many times has UK been on the receiving end of that last genius call of a run? How many times have we screamed for a terrible hold call when a team gets in position to seal the game. Personally never once have I, unless it was obvious or something. I just sit there and say typical because the defense got gashed. But this time. Our QB deserved that win and he got screwed.

Stephen Johnson. You're going down as an all time UK great like I said in the offseason. Best UK QB of my lifetime (I was around for couch. In '99 I was 6 at the time). Pure clutch. Thanks for giving your all and pouring it all out on the field after taking dirty hit after dirty hit. You've done great with ball security. And even though many of us have given up on the season since it seems like it just ended. I know you aren't and I know a great season is still in store and I couldn't be happier to call you my Quarterback you're the epitome of everything a great individual is supposed to be.

I legit thought 11-1 was a possibility with a win last night. Thanks trash ref if we had any other name on our chest the whole country would be blasting you but since we're UK everyone wants to act like you made some sort of obvious call and say Kentucky being Kentucky. Pfft. Make that call in that situation in a super bowl you WILL get fired.
My one and only thought on Stephen Johnson after last night remains:

He's a "steely-eyed missile man".

Those familiar with the Apollo program will understand.

Long post beware.

Dude you have 5 posts, I doubt anyone remembers your predictions on here, especially if it was written like this.

2. Now we want to fire Stoops and I guess now Jeff Brohm is the next big thing! And trying to outscore people at uk in sec sounds like a great idea

Thanks for the rational intelligent post. Everytime there’s a loss in football or even basketball the ignorant know it alls come out in droves on here.

Reactions: rqarnold
Long post beware.

I legit thought 11-1 was a possibility with a win last night. Thanks trash ref if we had any other name on our chest the whole country would be blasting you but since we're UK everyone wants to act like you made some sort of obvious call and say Kentucky being Kentucky. Pfft. Make that call in that situation in a super bowl you WILL get fired.[/QUOT Great post the majority of the people I hope a still hung over and blowing off steam. We look like an SEC team and we play that way. Yes we are having some bumps in the road but I really think we will get there. Just stay the course

Long post beware.

The Haynes hold call was horrible. A call we are used to seeing in basketball it was so bad. Haynes basically mauled him, just a physical play that a normal football ref would not make IMO.

... to steal a win that meant so much from young men who left everything on the field and deserved the win because what you're a grumpy old slouch?...

He wasn't held, he got beat, lost his footing and fell he WAS NOT thrown down. He simply fell down all on his own he wasn't thrown down so when a player falls on their own it's a hold? I'll never get over that Florida just wasn't expecting the run and the guy got beat. So when you block someone and they fall on own it's a hold?... I've seen this song and dance before. But how many times has UK been on the receiving end of that last genius call of a run? How many times have we screamed for a terrible hold call when a team gets in position to seal the game. ...

QFT

The Haynes hold call was horrible. A call we are used to seeing in basketball it was so bad. Haynes basically mauled him, just a physical play that a normal football ref would not make IMO.
I agree 100% with you and OP. Looked at it again, and just want to choke out the official. Haynes and our whole program got reamed by that jackass. I want his name for future reference.

Dude you have 5 posts, I doubt anyone remembers your predictions on here, especially if it was written like this.
I have thousands of post. Quit positing for awhile and forgot password. Pretty sure many remember me by the S/N name. And very sure people remember how critical I was towards stoops. But once I felt I was proven wrong I admitted it and I am now on board. When Dawson was fired I was on this board saying who knows maybe we can turn it around now. And we did.

I agree 100% with you and OP. Looked at it again, and just want to choke out the official. Haynes and our whole program got reamed by that jackass. I want his name for future reference.

The names of all of the officials for a particular game are included in the official box score posted on www.ukathletics.com. It gives the name and position of each official (i.e., referee, umpire, line judge, etc.). Pretty sure the head referee behind the LOS threw the flag. The umpire was also looking right at the play.

Last edited:
Reactions: southindycat
For argument sake, let's say he held. The refs could call that holding every play of every game. Literally. That ref who threw his flag knew the exact ramifications of doing it- without the hold, our kicker was going to be money. It never would have been thrown against Bama, LSU, Florida etc. Having said that, Stoops should never let it get to that point where a fg was necessary to win the game.

Like it or not, it was technically holding. The game should have never come down to that one penalty.

Oh ok....

You mean the same Andre Woodson who made the incredible throw to stevie johnson to beat UL in the final seconds? All the clutch throws against LSU to knock off the national champs (including those in OT)?

I love SJ too. But lets not get too crazy.

The names of all of the officials for a particular game is included in the official box score posted on www.ukathletics.com. It gives the name and position of each official (i.e., referee, umpire, line judge, etc.). Pretty sure the head referee behind the LOS threw the flag. The umpire was also looking right at the play.
For the record, I don't intend him any real harm. However, if I meet him on an airport concourse, I might be tempted to dump my leftover lunch (with beverage) in his carry on, it left unattended. Something along those lines...

The names of all of the officials for a particular game are included in the official box score posted on www.ukathletics.com. It gives the name and position of each official (i.e., referee, umpire, line judge, etc.). Pretty sure the head referee behind the LOS threw the flag. The umpire was also looking right at the play.

Having trouble trying to get that info. Can you provide a more precise link?

Having trouble trying to get that info. Can you provide a more precise link?
Yesterday after the game report, the complete box score, play by play, was on the UK site. Somehow, today when you go to the individual game stats, you get crap. That whole site is a piece of junk.

2 weeks in a row Florida caught a break at the end of the game. Last week's game against UT, on the final play got away with an obvious hold.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
Wish someone could post a picture of that so call hold. I thought the runner was past him also. Should have never been called.

Reactions: UKUGA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT