ADVERTISEMENT

MSU Insider flips on Keion Brooks recruitment...

What games have you been watching. Herro is NBA ready. The kid is a pro.
I have no insight about Herro's pro prospects or intent to go pro after this year BUT, he seems to be a better defender,rebounder,finisher than Booker was at the same time. I recognize he is not quite the shooter Booker was but he is a 90% free throw shooter. He also seems bigger and stronger than Booker but I may be sort changing booker's size. Net, I wouldn't be so sure he's coming back.

Coming back will not fix Herro's weaknesses, but the NBA also has player's galore like Herro who are just rotting away in the G leauge and free agency.. Maybe Cal can show him players like Kennard and how it helped him prepare better by coming back..
Herro is the type of player that Cal has to have return. If Herro played at Wisconsin and had the same stats,45% from the field, 35% from 3, he would be considered a lock to come back. I hope he follows PJs path.

I think Herro has surprised me with his all-around skill set. But he can struggle to finish, and he's been too inconsistent from 3. I think they will want a 6-5 shooting guard to show a bit more consistency. He's probably a fringe first rounder at this point at best, and I'm hoping he takes the PJ route and takes a big step forward.

A sophomore Herro leads UK in scoring next year, even with Maxey playing the way we hope he will.

I think UK needs 3 more bigs just in case Herro and or Hagans so pro ( since Whitney will be a guard in that case ) thus I dont think it effects Mcdaniels much at all and Hurt none . Hurt , like Todd is a 4/5 . Brooks is 3/4 and Mcdaniels is a 4 . So they can be sold on different roles entirely . But regardless you get the big time kid if you can get the big time kid and let the chips fall where they may.

That's the beauty of the whole thing. Everyone aside from NR is a multi position player and can be sold on playing a different position. EJ can play the 5. Hurt the 4. McDaniels can play literally anywhere. And Brooks/Whitney can play 2-4 positions. No one should be put off by anyone.

I don't think Brooks has any impact on Hurt or McDaniels, but I think both of those two might be concerned about EJ and Nick coming back.

I think they both return. If we sign Brooks, give me Todd as a reclassification and I'm good. If we could get McDaniels, great, but a Todd signing would make him a luxury, not a necessity.

Reactions: jace2012
I don't think Brooks has any impact on Hurt or McDaniels, but I think both of those two might be concerned about EJ and Nick coming back.

I could see Nick trying to go overseas. EJ should be an absolute stud next year. If that kid puts 15-20 pounds on his frame, watch out.

I think both are back though. If we add Brooks and Todd or Hampton reclassify + Hurt or McDaniels we are 100% set.

That would be 6/7 in the class.

Expect for Baker, EJ and/or Nick, Quickley, to return for sure. Potentially Hagans and Herro.

I really think Herro has a lot to gain by coming back. Could be a First Team AA next year and sky rocket up draft boards to lottery...PJ doing something similar as we speak.

All of the above a bit ambitious and hypothetical...but just some thoughts.

Now back to this year.

I could see Nick trying to go overseas. EJ should be an absolute stud next year. If that kid puts 15-20 pounds on his frame, watch out.

I think both are back though. If we add Brooks and Todd or Hampton reclassify + Hurt or McDaniels we are 100% set.

That would be 6/7 in the class.

Expect for Baker, EJ and/or Nick, Quickley, to return for sure. Potentially Hagans and Herro.

I really think Herro has a lot to gain by coming back. Could be a First Team AA next year and sky rocket up draft boards to lottery...PJ doing something similar as we speak.

All of the above a bit ambitious and hypothetical...but just some thoughts.

Now back to this year.

Ambitious and hypothetical, but not unreasonable.

I have a good feeling about the type of team UK will have next season.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Ambitious and hypothetical, but not unreasonable.

I have a good feeling about the type of team UK will have next season.

I've been campaigning for a while to get more of the 15-30 guys and less of sure fire OAD. I think 2 sure fire OAD per year is good. We have that now...so to me if you bring a Herro back, Ej, etc, you are in good shape. Getting the 2nd year out of these guys is huge for the program- especially when they take off like PJ has.

By all means if you can get a Zion or Wiseman sure, but 5 of them has to take a toll on Cal and the program. Too many egos to manage unless it is the perfect scenario.

Reactions: ConRay9
I've been campaigning for a while to get more of the 15-30 guys and less of sure fire OAD. I think 2 sure fire OAD per year is good. We have that now...so to me if you bring a Herro back, Ej, etc, you are in good shape. Getting the 2nd year out of these guys is huge for the program- especially when they take off like PJ has.

By all means if you can get a Zion or Wiseman sure, but 5 of them has to take a toll on Cal and the program. Too many egos to manage unless it is the perfect scenario.

I agree with this approach, and to be fair I think Cal has tried to recruit that way a little more. I don't think he expected Shai or Herro to be first round or potential first round draft picks. Same for Booker.

Hmmmm, it's like Cal is a good coach or something and develops players. Who would have thunk it?

I agree with this approach, and to be fair I think Cal has tried to recruit that way a little more. I don't think he expected Shai or Herro to be first round or potential first round draft picks. Same for Booker.

Hmmmm, it's like Cal is a good coach or something and develops players. Who would have thunk it?

Right, it is a good approach now considering the way recruiting is going AND the likelihood of NBA doing away with OAD soon...

If you are a mid range burger boy or not even one, think about how good it looks for Cal in previous development of this talent! OAD can go anywhere and generally be fine in draft. Those who aren't need to be developed. If SGA went almost anywhere else last yr (maybe anywhere at all), he isn't in the league this year. Cal played him to his strengths and his development from day one to when he left was astronomical.

Thought of some off the hip and looked them up:

°37 Herro
°43 WCS
°15 PJ
°22 Quickley
°19 Ulis
°22 Booker
°31 SGA
°18 Nick Richards

The guards in particular in this range are crazy good. Get ready to add Allen and probably Brooks to this list too. I'm sure I am missing plenty but Cal has a long history of getting people better in college. I am not giving up on Richards, if he stays at UK he will make his mark eventually.

https://247sports.com/college/michi...F-Brooks-plans-to-visit-MSU-129153687/?Page=5

I decided to do a little sleuthing on other message boards. The Indiana message board is one giant melt down but it's starting to look like they're doubting landing Brooks on some of the threads there for what it's worth.

The MSU message board for 24/7 proved a little more fruitful. An insider with them by the name of Sean Scherer, who works as a recruiting analyst for 24/7, is pretty active there. He started this thread February 15th, but on the most recent page he's quoted as, "Brooks did not visit MSU earlier today. I’m hearing Brooks will likely sign with Kentucky." He says this on page 5 of the thread if you want to see for yourself.

Obviously you gotta take all of this with a grain of salt, but with the three most recent crystal ball picks going to UK, the MSU/IU message board scuttlebutt, and Brooks being at the game last night as well as cancelling on MSU, I'm starting to think we land Brooks.

I don't think this impacts Hurt or McDaniels, but I guess it could in theory. At this point, with the way recruiting has been going, I think you gotta take whoever wants to commit first. Brooks would be a great get no matter what. I'm not setting it in stone but landing Brooks would be awesome.
I'm just ready for a commit and I'm good with Brooks. If we lose 4-5 guys this year we will need 5-6 guys. Why not use the schollys?

What are your insiders that say McDaniel is lock to UK are saying about Brooks? I'm sure they may know.
I couldn't begin to unravel what on god's green earth you are trying to say here. When I say insider I mean the same that all of us on HOB listen to . I am sure this was some shot at me but being that i have never even seen your user name I could care less. I mean what did this post add to the thread of value? Everyone knows that we lead in the Mcdaniels race with UW running 2nd . Not sure the point of your douche post really beyond , well just be douche like .

All I was saying is it will be nice when someone like csbusch or Travis , the like say Brooks is ours. that is all.

Reactions: JwUKFan11
If Brooks is coming here, does that mean Herro is entering the draft?

I can't see Whitney AND Brooks coming in if we get back Herro.

HUH? Herro is a shooting guard Brooks is a 4 maybe a 3 here and there. Brooks and Herro do not affect one another at all.

I couldn't begin to unravel what on god's green earth you are trying to say here. When I say insider I mean the same that all of us on HOB listen to . I am sure this was some shot at me but being that i have never even seen your user name I could care less. I mean what did this post add to the thread of value? Everyone knows that we lead in the Mcdaniels race with UW running 2nd . Not sure the point of your douche post really. Anyways lol

Oh, are you saying that you aren't as confident on Brooks as McDaniels? Not sure I understand your post.

Oh, are you saying that you aren't as confident on Brooks as McDaniels? Not sure I understand your post.
He doesn’t know anymore than the rest of us! I’m on the HOB just like he is! No one has said McDaniels is a lock to UK just that he’s the most likely to UK of any of our other targets! The Brooks stuff came out of. No where !

Reactions: DidneyWorl
On a side note lol. Who does brooks game resemble? Dont let this guy get big and buff. Just wow lol. Curious to see your take?

He doesn’t know anymore than the rest of us! I’m on the HOB just like he is! No one has said McDaniels is a lock to UK just that he’s the most likely to UK of any of our other targets! The Brooks stuff came out of. No where !

Yeah, but Caneintally is usually confident.

Feel good about all positions and depth except for the role that Travis is playing this year. We need that one super strong and tough around the rim type against a lot of teams. Any 5th year bigs that might be available?

Ignore him. He’s an idiot. He guarantees every friggin player will go to UK.

Really? I had no idea. He seems confident. I like confidence. Like selling vacuum cleaners door to door and knowing you'll get that one sale that makes it all worth it.

There aren’t any insiders on HOB. They have good interviews and give you an opinion but nobody is a legit insider.

Reactions: track42
I couldn't begin to unravel what on god's green earth you are trying to say here. When I say insider I mean the same that all of us on HOB listen to . I am sure this was some shot at me but being that i have never even seen your user name I could care less. I mean what did this post add to the thread of value? Everyone knows that we lead in the Mcdaniels race with UW running 2nd . Not sure the point of your douche post really beyond , well just be douche like .

All I was saying is it will be nice when someone like csbusch or Travis , the like say Brooks is ours. that is all.

Don’t dish it if ya can’t take it

Reactions: CatfanMike47
If the FBI thing has legs they'll probably be all kinds of transfers on the market this summer. Coaches getting canned and kids jumping ship.

If the FBI thing has legs they'll probably be all kinds of transfers on the market this summer. Coaches getting canned and kids jumping ship.

I agree with this..... if they hit Arizona, Kansas & UL there could be a lot of transfers. Just have to wait and see.

Herro May get some first rd projections but like pj last year he’s not getting a first round guarantee. He will stand to gain tremendously to play a sophomore season

This kid is a great piece...but the key to this class is Hurt. He's the missing huge piece.

Posted over the Summer that Iowa staff felt Brooks was UK bound-and they hosted him on an official visit. That's last news I'd gotten on him and a lot of people were feeding off the Michigan State news since one of the assistants on his team is Jaren Jackson Sr, and 2 of his teammates are Michigan State assistant coach Doug Wojcik's kids, and Wojcik is their recruiting coordinator --just hired to that position this year I believe. Makes sense why there were a lot of rumors about Isaiah Stewart as well for a while with Spartans.

Believe Brooks is close with both Maxey and Whitney and while you can form a bond on campus, when you are replacing so many guys and relying on impact from newcomers, sure helps when they have a natural/prior relationship. Maxey is also very friendly with Matthew Hurt. This takes nothing away from Jaden McDaniels or others UK is recruiting, just pointing out an added positive if you bring in Keion Brooks.

Last edited:
Posted over the Summer that Iowa staff felt Brooks was UK bound-and they hosted him on an official visit. That's last news I'd gotten on him and a lot of people were feeding off the Michigan State news since one of the assistants on his team is Jaren Jackson Sr, and 2 of his teammates are Michigan State assistant coach Doug Wojcik's kids, and Wojcik is their recruiting coordinator --just hired to that position this year I believe. Makes sense why there were a lot of rumors about Isaiah Stewart as well for a while with Spartans.

Believe Brooks is close with both Maxey and Whitney and while you can form a bond on campus, when you are replacing so many guys and relying on impact from newcomers, sure helps when they have a natural/prior relationship. Maxey is also very friendly with Matthew Hurt. This takes nothing away from Jaden McDaniels or others UK is recruiting, just pointing out an added positive if you bring in Keion Brooks.

I'm all for adding high level combo forwards. It's been a position that Cal has struggled with. Get Brooks to go with the recent signings of Whitney, Knox, and Vanderbilt and it looks like a nice trend going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT