ADVERTISEMENT

Moving forward from here ....

NC Weasel

All-American
Dec 30, 2002
Nashville
OK, the worst has happened and we don't return much from last year. Time is past to deal with that, we go to Canada in just a few weeks!

Personally, too many stars is more often an issue than a solution. Role players are important, especially to team chemistry. The 96-97 teams were loaded, but most championship teams are 2-3 NBA caliber players and good solid role players supporting them. Of course you take all the talent you can get, but there is a cost to all that to.

Right now, if I were Cal and crew, here's what I'm looking for:

One or even two guys 6'9" or bigger with the widest asses in the portal.

The SEC gets physical and the few bigs we got are rail thin. I don't care about shooting, etc. I just want some hawgs to runt rebounds out and bruise people.

If we got nothing more, this would help this team the most. We'll figure out the rest. Nice freshmen class is going to have to step up. I truly believe the class was used against us effectively to keep other good players from joining.

All of CBB is benefitting from NIL, which is actually bad for the blue bloods. Kansas bought a nice team for next season. They had no incoming class to speak of though. And Duke is switching strategies from HSAA to portal recruiting from what I read.

So it might be that having to #1 recruiting class going forward is not a good thing.

Right now the best case scenario seems to be Cal talking Reeves into returning (which will mean giving him a starting spot and the green light to shoot/score), getting Kaluma from the portal (which also likely means promising a starting spot), and getting David Jones (and get him eligible which will mean getting an NCAA waiver).

That’s like the absolute best scenario at this point, unless someone else makes themselves available (grad transfer?).

So, let’s say all that happens, here is what we are looking at:

G Wagner/Dillingham
G Reeves/Sheppard
G Edwards/Thiero
F Kaluma/Jones
F Bradshaw/Onyenso

Starting five and sixth man (Dillingham) get starter minutes.

If the Freshmen are as good as advertised, that’s a decent squad. Probably a Sweet Sixteen ceiling, unless one of the Freshmen turn out to be a Wall, Davis, KAT, Fox level guy.

Right now the best case scenario seems to be Cal talking Reeves into returning (which will mean giving him a starting spot and the green light to shoot/score), getting Kaluma from the portal (which also likely means promising a starting spot), and getting David Jones (and get him eligible which will mean getting an NCAA waiver).

That’s like the absolute best scenario at this point, unless someone else makes themselves available (grad transfer?).

So, let’s say all that happens, here is what we are looking at:

G Wagner/Dillingham
G Reeves/Sheppard
G Edwards/Thiero
F Kaluma/Jones
F Bradshaw/Onyenso

Starting five and Dillingham get starter minutes.

If the Freshmen are as good as advertised, that’s a decent squad. Probably a Sweet Sixteen ceiling, unless one of the Freshmen turn out to be a Wall, Davis, KAT, Fox level guy.
The issue is that Cal keeps recruiting kids who think they're a position smaller than they are. Bradshaw wants no part of playing the 5 spot. He wants to be the 4, and that means we won't get Kaluma either.

Cal screwed the program over this Spring.

The issue is that Cal keeps recruiting kids who think they're a position smaller than they are. Bradshaw wants no part of playing the 5 spot. He wants to be the 4, and that means we won't get Kaluma either.

Cal screwed the program over this Spring.
Cal has to convince them that it’s positionless basketball. Both Kaluma and Bradshaw will get perimeter shots and either one can score inside, depending on the situation.

That’s how you make it work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT