ADVERTISEMENT

Montgomery?

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
Haven’t seen enough to speculate on his contribution this season. How good is he and can he be a pivotal player? I know they say he can shoot for a big but does he score low post, block shots, rebound? Did not get the impression he has a real physical style. Explosive? Anybody seen him play a lot? He’s got the size.

Haven’t seen enough to speculate on his contribution this season. How good is he and can he be a pivotal player? I know they say he can shoot for a big but does he score low post, block shots, rebound? Did not get the impression he has a real physical style. Explosive? Anybody seen him play a lot? He’s got the size.

Cal: Who is that?

I think there’s an outside chance he may be more than a one yr player. Sure it’s a crazy thought, but stranger things have happened. He definitely needs to put on a little weight

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I think there’s an outside chance he may be more than a one yr player. Sure it’s a crazy thought, but stranger things have happened. He definitely needs to put on a little weight
Agree. I think he’d be a 2 and done anywhere else but will probably get swept up here.
Good article. Both older sisters played ball and both parents coaches so he literally grew up in a basketball world.
https://usatodayhss.com/2018/ej-montgomery-recruiting-basketball-family

He’s got big time potential on the offensive end. He might be a bit behind the other big men defensively right now but by seasons end, I think he’s gonna be a tough guy to take out of the game

I don't believe he will bolt for a 2nd round slot.
All I know is if we can get Herro, Quick, EJ and Keldon all in the first round, we've had a hell of a year and are likely national champions.

I have seen very little of him, so I am looking forward to the Blue/ White game to see what type of game he has.

Maybe I'm just a dumba$$, but I think of a poor man's Marvin Bagley. A 6'10 lefty who's wiry but has some strength and athleticism and shiftiness to his game as a face up 4. Where Bagley was more athletic and aggressive, Montgomery looks to have a prettier J. If he can be as aggressive as Keldon Johnson or Tyler Herro and attack the basket, his ceiling can be very high with his incredible measureables.

I predict 8 and 4 from him this season. Not bad considering how loaded we are.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
At Duke, he would be a 5 year player, ala Amile Jefferson. Only at UK is he thot of as one and done.

He appears to have a high basketball IQ from the little I've seen. He blocked a few shots in the blue/white game and appears to have a polished offensive game, but we'll have to see how he fares against legit competition.
But if I had to guess, I'd say he's way ahead of Nick Richards on both ends of the court.

I will hold off on putting ahead of Richards. Not a knock on EJ, Richards has looked greatly improved so far. I think he will be a very much needed rim protector. He has the size and muscle. EJ, is lacking in that part. We have enough scorers, we need defenders who can rim protect and clean the glass. IMO, Richards is ahead of EJ there.

He shows a lot of potential on both sides of the court. You don’t just teach that kind of touch he has on mid-range jumpers in a matter of a few months. He’s got real talent, but I’ve yet to see how he’d fare in a physical game. That remains to be seen, and I can see that being something he needs to work on.

I disagree with others on him lacking on the defensive end. He shows great instincts, he just hasn’t completely gotten timing and positioning down—very common traits in freshmen that can be shored up, specifically with higher basketball IQ. He has the length that can bother other big men, but the athleticism to also bother smaller but quicker forwards.

I’d expect Richards to start/play over him—at first. Comparing the two of them, their offense is pretty similar. The defensive end will be what separates one versus the other in playing time. Whichever one more effectively protects the rim and maintains positioning for rebounds will win out. This team has more than enough offense elsewhere to counterbalance one or the other having a slightly better offensive game.

Gotta admit I’m really not sure why to expect from him. He’s our highest ranked recruit coming in but everyone seems more excited about KJ, Travis, and even Herro. He’s an interesting prospect to me, mostly because face up stretch fours aren’t usually a part of Cal’s plan. He’s had Wiltjer, Lyles, and Skal. None of whom were really dominant. Lyles has the best career and he was just a cog in a huge machine so I never felt like he was showcased much.

Reactions: Catzman
Wiltjer and Lyles are nothing alike. Trey Lyles was a bruiser who did not mind mixing it up on the inside. Kyle was not known for his rebounding and defense.

If i had to do a player comparison to EJ, i would say Lamarcus Aldridge or maybe Chris Bosh. If he becomes anywhere near either one of those guys, i will be super happy.

I think the Tayshaun comparison is pretty spot on. Just based on the limited play from him I have watched thus far.

But wasn't Prince a true 3 man? A pure perimeter player? I don't see EJ ever being a true wing, but a face up 4. Prince was a really really tall guard before Durant ever came around.

Reactions: Cindog28
Wiltjer and Lyles are nothing alike. Trey Lyles was a bruiser who did not mind mixing it up on the inside. Kyle was not known for his rebounding and defense.
Well obviously I know that. I wasn’t comparing skillsets, just their general role as a face up 4 man. Cal hasn’t often used that kind of player in his system.

I kind of knew that, But the game is changing, so positionless basketball and a premium put on shooters, the big guy clogging up the lane pretty much eliminates the big lug in the middle. Also it will be more of going to the guys who can shoot it more so than the 6"6 / 6"7 athletic freak that can run and jump. The game today, shooters are the most important trait needed. That and the ability to play defense. The term 3 and D is becoming way more needed.

Any player comparison i have of EJ is Jaren Jackson, just watch game film of both of them and tell me how they are different, all the way down to having bad habits of taking plays off.. EJ is a really special player, glad to have him at Kentucky, instead of Auburn or Duke, where we would have to play him and he torch us for 20..

Player comparison:

Top 25 player. McDonald's All-American.

012.gif~c200

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT