ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Draft

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
I don't know how much I'll be able to pay attention, but I will try to give updates when I notice a UK player, or a UK recruit heading to the pros.

Draft starts tonight. Twins have number 1 picks. Projected to be Kyle Wright from Vanderbilt, or possibly Louisville's McKay. UK's Evan White :)cry:) projected to go in the top 20. Baseball America says he's going 16th to the Yankees. Others project he'll go 19th to the Giants, 22 to the Blue Jays, and the lowest I've seen him is 12th to the Pirates.

Still, this will be just the 6th Kentucky player to be drafted in the first round.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
If McKay wasn't a 2-way player do you think he'd still be top 5?

As in - if he only played 1b, do you take him over Evan White?

If he only pitches, would you take him over a Kyle Wright?

He is awesome, but I hope the MLB team taking him uses all of his skillset. I guess he also has a safety net if you draft him and he doesn't work out at P, he can be a hitter or visa versa...

If McKay wasn't a 2-way player do you think he'd still be top 5?

As in - if he only played 1b, do you take him over Evan White?

If he only pitches, would you take him over a Kyle Wright?

He is awesome, but I hope the MLB team taking him uses all of his skillset.

He is only getting drafted for one or the other. His hitting this year has been pretty remarkable in and of itself, but his pitching has likely been even better. I think that if you want him as a hitter he'd still be a first round player, and probably still top 10. If you want him as a pitcher then he's probably still top 5. First base, in my opinion is one of those weird positions where teams often sell themselves short on defense. They could get a better defender and probably save themselves a couple errors a week, but instead they'd rather have the power. That is the dilemma that White faces and the reason he probably gets sent to the outfield in the minors. Teams would just rather have a big bat there rather than a gold glover. McKay isn't a gold glover on first, but he's more than serviceable, and he most definitely projects to have an plus plus bat with power to spare.

Yeah - I think teams will want White to add 25lbs if he wants to play 1b - they want power from that spot. his defensive runs saved may be less valuable than 35 hr/100 rbi can with mediocre defense.

And some on MLB network think teams may draft McKay to be the 1st guy to really try to do both...talk is cheap though.

Yeah - I think teams will want White to add 25lbs if he wants to play 1b - they want power from that spot. his defensive runs saved may be less valuable than 35 hr/100 rbi can with mediocre defense.

And some on MLB network think teams may draft McKay to be the 1st guy to really try to do both...talk is cheap though.

I think some teams may allow him to do both. Not sure how that will work, but they have discussed that he could start out as a pitcher and then later on he could develop into a hitter as his arm starts to weaken. That could give him twice the shelf life. Could also be very interesting for some teams in the national league. At minimum you get a guy who is a natural hitter now pitching for you, and not making an easy 9th out.

First 3 guys taken all out of high school. Surprised Kyle Wright hasn't been taken yet.

Ballard star and UL commit Jordon Adell goes 10th to the Angels. Can't imagine him going to school.

Riley Mahan to the Marlins in the 3rd round.

Excellent for him. 3rd round is very solid. Will be interesting to see where they have him playing in the future. If he puts on some weight he might end up being an outfielder who has a pretty strong arm. He can also stick at second, but we will see. He just needs to learn to make the routine plays a bit more consistently and he'll be able to go far.

Former Cat Daniel Tillo to the Royals in the 3rd round.

Good catch. This is very good for us considering that he was committed to Arkansas. We certainly don't want to face a former Cat who went in the third round. So, hopefully he goes pro and we won't have to worry about him anymore. haha

I don't think that we have any commitments who are "sure things" to go to the minors. We have several that might be borderline, but they will likely go closer to round ten or later.

Pop could be as high as a 1st round pick next year if he develops another pitch and ends up staying healthy. He probably would have been up a few rounds had he just not gotten hurt. Don't know that it is worth it for him to return, but there is probably money to be made there if he does and he improves himself.

I think Lewis will come back.

For a kid as tall and talented as he is, does not really throw all that hard. I think another year in UK's weight program, and experience and he could really be a hell of pitcher next year.

I was looking for minor league salaries, it looks like you have to get to AAA to make a decent salary unless you sign a contract with the MLB team that guarantees you a bigger salary even at the minor level. The signing bonus only last so long before you aren't that well off and have a major grind at a low salary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT