ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri proves you don’t have to settle

PensacolaBlue

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 26, 2022
I know there are many folks on here who continue to insist the rest of us have unreasonable expectations, that we shouldn’t expect better than Stoops and believe he should stay as long as he wants. But Missouri proves them wrong. You CAN have special seasons. They have made an SEC championship game and came pretty darn close this year…with two different coaches making a lot less money than Stoops. Shoot, look at the job Brohm has done in one freaking year. He has turned around the program and will likely coach circles around Stoops next week. How is it possible in 1 year to beat a coach that has been in the same position for 11 years? Recruiting and scheme. And you don’t have to recruit at Alabama’s level either. The fans that continually lecture the rest of us on our poor history, lack of high school talent in KY etc., are the problem (along with Barnhart), and we’ll never get to the next level unless we all demand better. Stoops was a good hire who has done some great things for UK, but it’s time for a change. Normally I would say keep the coach and demand changes, the problem is, we know he’s not capable of changing because he is so stubborn and stuck in his ways. 11 years and 6 offensive coordinators proves this. You can’t consist win big with a guy who plays not to lose. You just can’t. Those 10 win seasons feel like a long time ago, and we’re moving in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Watching Stoops coach is like opening a book and reading the same chapter over and over, been that way since he’s been here. Ball control offense to shorten the game, line up and call the play then snap the ball as the play clock hits zero, never uses timeouts, always sits on the ball before halftime while giving it back allowing an opposing score, sit back in a zone allowing mediocre QBs to pick us apart, try to pressure with a three man rush, never making halftime adjustments. You keep hoping to see something different but almost all of us know what to expect before the game even starts. Old school creature of habit and will unfortunately never change, guys are never wrong in their own mind and are stubborn to a fault.

Mizzou has a RB who declined breaking a school record although he was just 20 yards away. Said he is focused on team accomplishments.

Our OC keeps a touch sheet and after rushing for nearly 300 yards, our staff publicly repeats we are dedicated to throwing the ball.

We used to recruit guys of the first kind. Now we recruit guys of the latter kind. We need to get back to who we were

Reactions: Lost In FL
MO's had a charmed year, happens every year in college football. Last year TN had fortunate things happen to them, had a nice year but could've gone 7-5 too. Things fell in line for them. Their good fortune has bailed on them this year.

MO's in that boat now. Great kicker gets them a home win vs a good Kansas St team with an effing 61 yard FG. I mean, really? Sat vs UF...UF driving for a game winning FG, less than a minute and the UF RB runs out of bounds(UF had a timeout). Had he stayed in bounds MO would've had to use their last TO and wouldn't have it available to kick their game winner. Maybe next year that turns against MO.

As for UK.....some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug. UK's been the bug about all year.

I know there are many folks on here who continue to insist the rest of us have unreasonable expectations, that we shouldn’t expect better than Stoops and believe he should stay as long as he wants. But Missouri proves them wrong. You CAN have special seasons. They have made an SEC championship game and came pretty darn close this year…with two different coaches making a lot less money than Stoops. Shoot, look at the job Brohm has done in one freaking year. He has turned around the program and will likely coach circles around Stoops next week. How is it possible in 1 year to beat a coach that has been in the same position for 11 years? Recruiting and scheme. And you don’t have to recruit at Alabama’s level either. The fans that continually lecture the rest of us on our poor history, lack of high school talent in KY etc., are the problem (along with Barnhart), and we’ll never get to the next level unless we all demand better. Stoops was a good hire who has done some great things for UK, but it’s time for a change. Normally I would say keep the coach and demand changes, the problem is, we know he’s not capable of changing because he is so stubborn and stuck in his ways. 11 years and 6 offensive coordinators proves this. You can’t consist win big with a guy who plays not to lose. You just can’t. Those 10 win seasons feel like a long time ago, and we’re moving in the wrong direction.

They really didn't come close this year and lucked into 3 of their wins, so the are close to a 7 win team, Drink is riding a Sr led team and will be back to struggling very soon.

They really didn't come close this year and lucked into 3 of their wins, so the are close to a 7 win team, Drink is riding a Sr led team and will be back to struggling very soon.
Disagree with everything you just said. They are recruiting really well and played GA tough and gave the LSU game away. Good teams win the close ones.

Reactions: deep3
I ageee with you. Just don’t see Stoops leaving. That contract allows him to do anything he wants within certain parameters. I doubt he even has to return Mitch’s phone calls at this point.

Reactions: entropy13
Disagree with everything you just said. They are recruiting really well and played GA tough and gave the LSU game away. Good teams win the close ones.
They have the 42nd ranked class in 2024.
They had the 33rd ranked class in 2023.

Not sure they are recruiting really well. Their success over the past 10 years mirrors that of Stoops.

Just a weird program to pick based off their first year of success since 2014. They will have their first SEC winning record in 10 seasons this year.

Played well against UGA but it was a 2 score loss, so not too close. They beat Middle TN by 4, had to come from behind to beat UF on a drive with a made 4th and 17, kicked a 60+ yard FG as the clock ran out against K St. How is than not having a season with a horseshoe in your pocket? They are likely a 10 win team this year, but wouldn't have taken much for them to be a 7 win team, or 6 if that fake punt hadn't taken all the air out of UK's sails

As for recruiting very well, your idea of recruiting well and mine are totally different. Yes they have the top defensive player in the country committed, he is the only one on their commitment list I would like to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrschwump
They have the 42nd ranked class in 2024.
They had the 33rd ranked class in 2023.

Not sure they are recruiting really well. Their success over the past 10 years mirrors that of Stoops.

Just a weird program to pick based off their first year of success since 2014. They will have their first SEC winning record in 10 seasons this year.
Hard to tell with mizzou whether this is the first year of drink taking hold for a new direction or an aberration. We definitely benefited from Odom being there and muschamp at sc. 2 other defensive guys. 2-2 vs drink. The 1-2 vs Beamer, is ridiculous.

MO's had a charmed year, happens every year in college football. Last year TN had fortunate things happen to them, had a nice year but could've gone 7-5 too. Things fell in line for them. Their good fortune has bailed on them this year.

MO's in that boat now. Great kicker gets them a home win vs a good Kansas St team with an effing 61 yard FG. I mean, really? Sat vs UF...UF driving for a game winning FG, less than a minute and the UF RB runs out of bounds(UF had a timeout). Had he stayed in bounds MO would've had to use their last TO and wouldn't have it available to kick their game winner. Maybe next year that turns against MO.

As for UK.....some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug. UK's been the bug about all year.
More like Road Kill.

Reactions: TheJuddDome
We have had special seasons. We just can't sustain it, and neither can Missouri.

Hard to tell with mizzou whether this is the first year of drink taking hold for a new direction or an aberration. We definitely benefited from Odom being there and muschamp at sc. 2 other defensive guys. 2-2 vs drink. The 1-2 vs Beamer, is ridiculous.
"Without a doubt"

Only UK football hires a guy with no head coaching experience and promptly makes him one of the highest paid coaches in the nation after a few good seasons.
Stoops should send Joker some money.
Kirby Smart and countless others of great coaches had no head coaching experience when they were first hired as head coach. Also, when Stoops starting making top money here, compared to other coaches, he did have head coaching experience, at UK. I get that Stoops may have hit his peak, but that nothing to with a lack of head coaching experience 11 years ago. At this point, he is a veteran head coach, and is what he is for better or worse.

Kirby Smart and countless others of great coaches had no head coaching experience when they were first hired as head coach. Also, when Stoops starting making top money here, compared to other coaches, he did have head coaching experience, at UK. I get that Stoops may have hit his peak, but that nothing to with a lack of head coaching experience 11 years ago. At this point, he is a veteran head coach, and is what he is for better or worse.
It’s been on the job training since day one and his game management hasn’t changed.

0-3 vs Heupel is even more ridiculous.

Why hasnt UT won't the sec in 20+ years or the division in 16...they're a football school. They just keep settling!

I can't keep up with how it works. Is this their Ad's fault?

Stoops needs to step up...I know how this board works you've either got to be in a pit of despair or otherwise you're suddenly a sunshine pumper l...its the sane on the bball board.

But I'm not convinced after 1 good season by Missouri that they've found the formula when they're likely to be poop again next year.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Why hasnt UT won't the sec in 20+ years or the division in 16...they're a football school. They just keep settling!

I can't keep up with how it works. Is this their Ad's fault?

Stoops needs to step up...I know how this board works you've either got to be in a pit of despair or otherwise you're suddenly a sunshine pumper l...its the sane on the bball board.

But I'm not convinced after 1 good season by Missouri that they've found the formula when they're likely to be poop again next year.
All I’m saying is that it IS possible for a program like UK to make it to the SEC championship game and/or 12 team playoffs. Not every year but every once in awhile we can have a great season and it can happen under multiple coaches. Some act like this is the university of Mark Stoops. Those 10 win seasons seem like an eternity ago and we’re going in the wrong direction. Unfortunately we’re stuck.

And the recruiting year isn’t over. You have to take rankings with a grain of salt with the transfer portal. I will be shocked if Missouri doesn’t bring in a top 20 type class this year when it’s all said and done. The NIL law their state passed recently should also pay dividends going forward.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
Can you be fired for getting fat?
Unfortunately some people pack it on. Myself, I’ve never had a problem maintaining washboard abs and chiseled pecs. It’s actually hard at times like when I’m walking down the street and women are constantly staring at me, basically undressing me with their eyes. It just makes me feel dirty and I also feel bad for my wife because I know she sees it. The best part is when I’m often mistaken for Brad Pitt that I’ll sometimes sign an autograph just to brighten their day. If I’m in a really good mood I’ll say “First rule of fight club, there is no fight club” just to watch them basically pass out from the moment. So “fat” is an ugly word, glad I’ll never have to worry about it.

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
All I’m saying is that it IS possible for a program like UK to make it to the SEC championship game and/or 12 team playoffs. Not every year but every once in awhile we can have a great season and it can happen under multiple coaches. Some act like this is the university of Mark Stoops. Those 10 win seasons seem like an eternity ago and we’re going in the wrong direction. Unfortunately we’re stuck.

And the recruiting year isn’t over. You have to take rankings with a grain of salt with the transfer portal. I will be shocked if Missouri doesn’t bring in a top 20 type class this year when it’s all said and done. The NIL law their state passed recently should also pay dividends going forward.

State of Georgia passed one and even allows HS kids to get in on it and hasn't helped UGA at all. I will be surprised if Missouri brings in a top 20 class. Cook returns next year, alone with Burden, but they lose alot of snaps and will be hard pressed to back this season up.

I think MO. caught lightning in a bottle with a huge dose of good fortune .. You give them the 2 losses they were 0.0001% chance away from and there year looks good but not spectacular .. a 61 yard FG ?? and the drive against Florida was something that should never happen again ( we thought our D was passive ?? ) And hes got a once in a career RB having a magical season . I suspect that stuff doesnt happen again .
But 2 things can be true at the same time .. MO did get the right players , believing in the right things , and all pulling hard together .. throw in a pinch of good luck and you can get a 10-11 win season .. I dont think it can be maintained in the SEC but thats OK . Just dont SUCK .
I still believe Will L doesnt call for the snap 0.3 seconds early or the ref lets a minute infraction slide and we beat Ole Miss to enter the top ten we have a season just last year that rivals .. or exceeds , what MO did this year .. JMHO .. we beat So Car and Vandy and a possible bowl win and have 11 wins . I think we also beat UT honestly .. but seasons sway back n forth on the smallest of margins .

I think MO. caught lightning in a bottle with a huge dose of good fortune .. You give them the 2 losses they were 0.0001% chance away from and there year looks good but not spectacular .. a 61 yard FG ?? and the drive against Florida was something that should never happen again ( we thought our D was passive ?? ) And hes got a once in a career RB having a magical season . I suspect that stuff doesnt happen again .
But 2 things can be true at the same time .. MO did get the right players , believing in the right things , and all pulling hard together .. throw in a pinch of good luck and you can get a 10-11 win season .. I dont think it can be maintained in the SEC but thats OK . Just dont SUCK .
I still believe Will L doesnt call for the snap 0.3 seconds early or the ref lets a minute infraction slide and we beat Ole Miss to enter the top ten we have a season just last year that rivals .. or exceeds , what MO did this year .. JMHO .. we beat So Car and Vandy and a possible bowl win and have 11 wins . I think we also beat UT honestly .. but seasons sway back n forth on the smallest of margins .
That MO RB is a Sr transfer from teeny, tiny.....Truman St, a D2 school. Credit the guy but what's the odds you get a 1200 yard rusher from Truman St?

You're right about the Ole Miss call. Have watched it several times, that was a total BS call.

Reactions: cathouse
We have had special seasons. We just can't sustain it, and neither can Missouri.
That's the problem with much of college football outside of the traditional powers. We're like small market teams in MLB. they have to build several years for a 2-3 year run at contending for anything then sell off and start all over again. We have to build up the roster for contention, hope some unexpected superstars come out of the process to help carry us for a couple of years, then start the process over once they leave.

Reactions: Rockfly78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT