ADVERTISEMENT

Mike stoops is hired

Well this a good hire?

• Yes

Votes: 65 78.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 21.7%

• Total voters
After 10 years, I think it’s easy to say, “Mark Stoops hiring” was a good one.

Now, I do wonder if the hiring of MIKE Stoops will turn out as good…😉

My gut says yes since he will add an experienced mind and another set of eyes to the defensive brain trust. The big question is whether he can be asset on the recruiting trail…here’s hoping that he can.

I hope Mike works out great for you guys.

As an Iowa guy, obviously we know all about the Stoops' and I've followed all closely since their days at Iowa.

First advice: Just because his last name is Stoops don't think he's as refined or genius as is Mark or even Bob was. He's not. Believe me we know that in Iowa knowing Brian Ferentz, our Offensive Coordinator, is in no way a chip off the old block of his Dad, Kirk. Many Iowa fans are have found that out about Brian for many reasons.

With that said, I think it's good Mike is going to be a position coach. He failed miserably at Oklahoma as the Defensive Coordinator so him being in charge of an entire defense would have not been a good idea. He put brother Bob in a tough spot there as his boss, as Bob took lots of heat for Mike and his performance but wouldn't replace him. Not long after Bob retired Lincoln Riley then eventually fired Mike.

Mike's been a Head Coach too obviously at Arizona and the irony is Mark worked for Mike there as his DC. Mike proved to be way too much of a hot head to be a leader of an entire program, and having a public marriage struggle while there too didn't help either. Ultimately fired.

Some guys have a ceiling in their career not as high as others. In coaching, I think Mike's is as a position coach.

Again, a position coach is I think the best fit for Mike on the staff.

I hope Mike works out great for you guys.

As an Iowa guy, obviously we know all about the Stoops' and I've followed all closely since their days at Iowa.

First advice: Just because his last name is Stoops don't think he's as refined or genius as is Mark or even Bob was. He's not. Believe me we know that in Iowa knowing Brian Ferentz, our Offensive Coordinator, is in no way a chip off the old block of his Dad, Kirk. Many Iowa fans are have found that out about Brian for many reasons.

With that said, I think it's good Mike is going to be a position coach. He failed miserably at Oklahoma as the Defensive Coordinator so him being in charge of an entire defense would have not been a good idea. He put brother Bob in a tough spot there as his boss, as Bob took lots of heat for Mike and his performance but wouldn't replace him. Not long after Bob retired Lincoln Riley then eventually fired Mike.

Mike's been a Head Coach too obviously at Arizona and the irony is Mark worked for Mike there as his DC. Mike proved to be way too much of a hot head to be a leader of an entire program, and having a public marriage struggle while there too didn't help either. Ultimately fired.

Some guys have a ceiling in their career not as high as others. In coaching, I think Mike's is as a position coach.

Again, a position coach is I think the best fit for Mike on the staff.
I don’t know if I would call Mark a genius. Still can’t figure out timeouts and clock management.

Reactions: rucker4
I like this on the surface, but it kind of breaks one of my most fundamental rules of business and leadership.

Never hire someone you can't fire.

This….he’s been fired from just about every job he’s had. So, now we have a guy that we can’t even fire.

This. I can't believe there wasn't another candidate at least as qualified that didn't bring the family difficulty with them. Hiring family is one thing, firing them is another altogether.

I don’t know if I would call Mark a genius. Still can’t figure out timeouts and clock management.
OK, maybe genius was a bit too lofty-- I'd call him a Kirk Ferentz type simply by measure of solid, consistent, and good overall.

Funny how the clock management bitch of Stoops is the same thing many bitch about with Ferentz here.

With the way things have played out it seems like this would have happened a year or two ago if there had been staff money to do it. Now that they gave the staff budget bump he comes here for 650k a year.

I don't like the hire b/c he was not known as an energetic recruiter and he is a bit "old school" in the way that he deals with players. But, Mark has earned the right to make these types of decisions with his record here and I hope it works out.

Dude has some crazy lookin eyes. It scared me when I saw a pic a recruit posted with him on his recruiting visit last weekend. And the pic of him that pops up on the right side of this page.

Reactions: STL_Cat
This hire just shows me how many coaches you have on a modern day college football team at this level. It makes sense, but I guess I didn't know you had an ILB & OLB coach lol oh well. I watch it for the entertainment and do not pretend to know all of our coaches names/positions or the players names. Same with the Titans...too many players and coaches.

I think it will be a good hire as the guy has had success coaching at some stops and LBs is his specialty so I like it.

This. I can't believe there wasn't another candidate at least as qualified that didn't bring the family difficulty with them. Hiring family is one thing, firing them is another altogether.
He won't be fired....Only promoted to another position. Worst case scenario....

Dude has some crazy lookin eyes. It scared me when I saw a pic a recruit posted with him on his recruiting visit last weekend. And the pic of him that pops up on the right side of this page.

He has MLB eyes. Just too intense for some people

More you read about him the more apprehensive of how he will do. Sounds like kind of a mean guy, how will the players relate to him? Only short spurts of some success as far as the coaching goes. And we really need him to do his part on recruiting, so will that pan out?

"Dont hire football coaches that football schools fire for performance"....

Curry, Muschamp even Houston Nutt. You seldom see football schools let really good coaches go. I hope it was just a fit at OK that was the problem. but they really did not like Mike. I hope he kills it here though.

Reactions: secrules3
I guess I'm in the minority in thinking this is the wrong move. I've thought Mike was a bad coach for a long time. Bringing on a coach with a bad track record in a situation where he'll have more freedom due to family connections is a bad all around.

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking this is the wrong move. I've thought Mike was a bad coach for a long time. Bringing on a coach with a bad track record in a situation where he'll have more freedom due to family connections is a bad all around.
Can't say from afar I can disagree with anything you just said.

At the very least, there is no way he's the best candidate out there. The only reason he was a candidate at all was his relation. Hope it works out but we should've went another direction

At the very least, there is no way he's the best candidate out there. The only reason he was a candidate at all was his relation. Hope it works out but we should've went another direction
Mike has quite a reputation-- or at least did at one time-- of being quite the "hot head".

Hope this all works out.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I would bet this is not a long term hire, more like getting Mike back into the swing of things for a year or to and voluntarily move to another program.

I doubt that, he is 60 years old and probably never going to be anything more than an assistant the rest of his career. More likely he coaches another 2 or 3 years and retires

Reactions: mrschwump
Hiring family--bad juju. This is especially so considering Mike Stoops' so-so track record in the coaching profession. This may introduce internal mistrust & skepticism on the staff as the presumption of meritocracy is now in question.

While I hope it works out, a review of the past shows nepotism as a bad business practice. If your gut tells you "it's a bad idea".....typically, it's a bad idea.

GBB!

Hard for UK to say no to Mark Stoops hiring his brother when Calipari's son is on the payroll. Now, paying him $650K as someone said...yeah, that's a golden parachute.
Cals son is a grad assistant…..big difference between that and paying a family member 650k. I was against the hire before the money but now it’s flat out ridiculous. I’d bet we could have gotten a much better coach for that money as a position coach.

If his first name were Bob instead of Mike what the tone of this thread would be?

If his first name were Bob instead of Mike what the tone of this thread would be?
Different, but Bob has a great resume and would obviously be a fantastic hire. Mike on the other hand is only being hired because of his last name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT