ADVERTISEMENT

Mike stoops salary

Jan 25, 2024
Just read a breakdown of coaching salaries for our staff and Mike stoops jumps out at me:

• Liam Coen: $1.8 million
  • Brad White: $1.6 million
  • Vince Marrow: $1.3 million
  • Mike Stoops: $675,000
  • Jay Boulware: $550,000
  • Anwar Stewart: $500,000
  • Frank Buffano: $415,000
  • Chris Collins: $400,000
  • Eric Wolford: $350,000
  • Daikeil Shorts: $300,000

I’ll admit I don’t know anything about what assistants make at other schools, but I have a hard time believing there are many schools lining up to offer him even half of that.

Just read a breakdown of coaching salaries for our staff and Mike stoops jumps out at me:

I’ll admit I don’t know anything about what assistants make at other schools, but I have a hard time believing there are many schools lining up to offer him even half of that.
Coaches LBs only, right? Why 125k- 300k than the rest of the position coaches?

Doesn't stand out to me too much based on the fact he's been a HC and DC at P5 programs. Power 5 programs pay position coaches good money. You can probably look across the SEC and find a decent amount of them that make that much or more.

Coaches LBs only, right? Why 125k- 300k than the rest of the position coaches?
Probably because he is #2 on the D side, almost the co DC, and a senior voice the head coach uses for feedback. Who knows, if he had been able to keep the Texas LB job 2 yrs ago (before fan outrage) I bet it was a similar payscale.

FYI Wolford only makes $350k because he also recieves Bama buyout. Goes up to $800k in '25. So us paying off Yenser isn't that expensive.

Probably because he is #2 on the D side, almost the co DC, and a senior voice the head coach uses for feedback. Who knows, if he had been able to keep the Texas LB job 2 yrs ago (before fan outrage) I bet it was a similar payscale.

FYI Wolford only makes $350k because he also recieves Bama buyout. Goes up to $800k in '25. So us paying off Yenser isn't that expensive.
The Wolford one makes sense now. Thanks for that info.

No big beef to me...

1. Stoops is stacking his money on Marrow (good decision)..>Coen (we have to buy offense as Stoops is not good on this side of the ball) and Brad White (Not a massive problem to me...but White doesn't blow me a away adn Stoops should be able to be defacto DC in games IMO).
2. I don't have a huge problem with giving his brother next most salary....but it's still a drop off from Coen/White/Marrow.
3. Of the assistants we should proritize over Mike Stoop...
- Boulware...if special teams is strong again and he gets the RB room to perform w/o Ray Davis....he's a keeper
- Eric Wolford....maybe this low salary is a one year thing....but a good Oline coach is not your next to lowest paid assistant (especially behind Buffano)

Buffano has no business making $415000. He should have been let go ahead of Yenser

Reactions: brbates
No big beef to me...

1. Stoops is stacking his money on Marrow (good decision)..>Coen (we have to buy offense as Stoops is not good on this side of the ball) and Brad White (Not a massive problem to me...but White doesn't blow me a away adn Stoops should be able to be defacto DC in games IMO).
2. I don't have a huge problem with giving his brother next most salary....but it's still a drop off from Coen/White/Marrow.
3. Of the assistants we should proritize over Mike Stoop...
- Boulware...if special teams is strong again and he gets the RB room to perform w/o Ray Davis....he's a keeper
- Eric Wolford....maybe this low salary is a one year thing....but a good Oline coach is not your next to lowest paid assistant (especially behind Buffano)
Yeah year 1 Wolfords salary is offset because of what he was paid by bama. Big jump in year 2.

Wolford starting pay at Bama was 900K.
I would say he’s still drawing a check from them this the low contract here. Most contracts stipulate that if you take a job elsewhere , your pay at your former school is cut by what you’re making at your new gig. I know Muschamp had that from SC when he went over to Georgia.

Last edited:

UGA assistants start with Schumann at 1.9m and Bobo at 1m. No assistant comes lose to Marrow but 5 make over 800k and only 2 are under 600k and one of those is S and C head man who I think is under paid. I don't have an opinion of Mike Stoops being over or under paid but it seems in line with UGA salaries.

I'm okay with paying a premium for guys with P5 AHC, coordinator, and HC experience.

Honestly, Mike be one of the best hires CMS has ever made from a resume and coaching pedigree standpoint.

-P5 AHC/DC and HC experience
-DC of a couple pretty good KSU teams under Snyder
-DC when brother Bob won a title
-Playoffs with Sooners under Riley
-Recruited a lot of good players in his years at OK
-got his Saban "Analyst" Scout badge like so many other coordinators and HCs...think they won at title the year he was there, or at least were in play off.

Coached and helped win some major hardware under 3 legendary coaches...he may actually be under paid.

Last edited:
We could and should do better than Mike stoops and I said as much when he was hired. That said, his resume is good (despite being fired at every stop) so his salary does match the resume.

We could and should do better than Mike stoops and I said as much when he was hired. That said, his resume is good (despite being fired at every stop) so his salary does match the resume.
So he's a loser and been fired at every stop. So, THAT gives him a resume that deserves that much more pay than the rest of the position coaches? His brother is the HC...that's why he's being paid more.

Again for the folks who don't want or ignore facts - Sarkisian was going to bring Mike with him to Texas from the Bama staff in the same position, LB coach. But reneged on the offer because Horn fans were outraged at hiring a Stoops after suffering for 20 yrs of a Stoops at rival Oklahoma.

Some of y'all think we can hire someone, who knows who, in this position who is better than Texas's lLB coach level that Mike is at. Don't believe your logic is sound.

Again for the folks who don't want or ignore facts - Sarkisian was going to bring Mike with him to Texas from the Bama staff in the same position, LB coach. But reneged on the offer because Horn fans were outraged at hiring a Stoops after suffering for 20 yrs of a Stoops at rival Oklahoma.

Some of y'all think we can hire someone, who knows who, in this position who is better than Texas's lLB coach level that Mike is at. Don't believe your logic is sound.

We had summrall before him who was much better. Is there a better known quantity? Probably not.

If nothing stoops has a keen eye for young coaching talent especially on D. Although a fairly small risk, we could find someone as good for less money.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
There's probably a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of nepotism here, but I'm okay with this Stoops in this position. As long as he remembers all he knows and can kill it on the recruiting.

Well I mean the dude does have a lot of experience in different roles heck he even has ran the whole show before.
Regardless if he was ever really super successful or not experience in different facets of running a program is a high plus. If his name was Mike Smith no one would have a issue with a guy with that kind of pedigree making a little more than Buffano, and a few others who are unproven really in a way. Buffano is lucky Stoops is his friend. He's the one guy on staff that no one would probably be interested in if he was on the market. I don't think even a G5 or lower division school would be interested in him and we have him in the SEC all because butt buddy syndrome.

Mike Stoops is an awful coach who should be let go. The linebackers got worse as the season went on and The players don't respect him and I know that for a fact.

• Wow
Reactions: entropy13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT