ADVERTISEMENT

Meechi Harris

The early signing period helps things a little,but this commitment/de commitment stuff in football gets old.Why even commit if you are still looking and open to other offers.Kids use offers to leverage other offers

Basketball doesn't seem to have this problem,I know we are talking about significantly greater numbers of kids but the process seems much different.

The early signing period helps things a little,but this commitment/de commitment stuff in football gets old.Why even commit if you are still looking and open to other offers.Kids use offers to leverage other offers

Basketball doesn't seem to have this problem,I know we are talking about significantly greater numbers of kids but the process seems much different.
Keep in mind coaches pressure kids to commit too, it's a 2-way street.

Some of these kids learn real well by watching what coaches do.

The early signing period is a disaster. Hopefully it is one-and-done.
Why is it a disaster...at least it lets UK know guys like Meechi aren't solid to UK and allows us 2 months until February to fight for other kids that we get in on (i.e. kids committed to schools going thru coaching changes).

Reactions: jauk11
The thing I liked most about Meechi Harris was his speed. He is fast enough to be the sort of deep threat we've been needing so badly at WR. None of the other receivers we have committed in this class has his speed, which is a bummer.

Reactions: K_TIME
Why is it a disaster...at least it lets UK know guys like Meechi aren't solid to UK and allows us 2 months until February to fight for other kids that we get in on (i.e. kids committed to schools going thru coaching changes).

It doesn’t leave time for kids on teams that made a run in the playoffs - particularly thoughout the South, to take their allotment of official visits.
In some states, the final rounds of the playoffs were two weeks ago followed by all-star games.

Then there are the coaching changes, In the SEC alone, you had six. That only leaves three weeks for both the new staffs and players to get acclimated with each other.

Then there is the case of kids like Rondale Moore. Its clear his offer came with contingencies. That’s not unusual. But getting the news on signing day eve is. With the Feb date, kids always have a couple of weeks (see Matt Elam) or more to sort things out when there is no room at the inn at their first choice.

Coaches don’t like it. Players don’t like it. Other than that, its great.

Last edited:

And one more reason its a bad idea.

There used to be two signing periods back in the SEC back in the 70’s. There is a reason they did away with it. It didn’t work.

3 star receiver out of Ohio just decommited. I wander if it was his choice or if the staff moved on to a more talented player?

Kentucky University????????
The kid was committed to play ball here and doesn't even know the correct name of the school.....

It doesn’t leave time for kids on teams that made a run in the playoffs - particularly thoughout the South, to take their allotment of official visits.
In some states, the final rounds of the playoffs were two weeks ago followed by all-star games.

Then there are the coaching changes, In the SEC alone, you had six. That only leaves three weeks for both the new staffs and players to get acclimated with each other.

Then there is the case of kids like Rondale Moore. Its clear his offer came with contingencies. That’s not unusual. But getting the news on signing day eve is. With the Feb date, kids always have a couple of weeks (see Matt Elam) or more to sort things out when there is no room at the inn at their first choice.

Coaches don’t like it. Players don’t like it. Other than that, its great.

And don't the kids have the option of dropping out of the early signing any time they want to? If they are really wanted by the school hasn't he just created another opening for the Feb signing?

I don't know, I guess it's because I've never bought into the star system. Cobb was a 2 star, Snell was barely a 3 star. They both changed the offense significantly.
Well, yeah.....but I think Drew Barker getting hurt brought Bennie to the front, and since we don't use tight ends as pass catchers I kinda wonder if extra receivers would help.

Looks like Meechi's headed to Cincy, just couldn't say no to Joker's sales pitch.

Well that sales pitch does include about $13,000 in cold hard cash if he stays there five years. That is ABOVE AND BEYOND what the COA would give him at UK.

When we are talking about $75,000,000 coaching contracts and $13,000,000 buyouts ($45,000,000 for Slick Rick, he needed the money) that seems like a stupid thing to neglect, that is more than some of these kids families have seen in a long time-------probably no big deal for some of the dealers that sign with other in state schools (that also come close to Cincy's COA) but some recruits come from very poor families, A few might even use the extra to help out their struggling single mothers and siblings.

Not the first stupid thing UK's administration has done to football in the past 15 years IMO, but it ranks pretty high in my book------not as stupid as the "recruiting room" though. It seems weird to me that the COA (discrepancy) is never mentioned on here, you can guarantee Joker mentions it a lot.

Reactions: wyldecat
Meechi was one of the best commits we had. There is zero chance that Stoops is the one that moved on. This may be a consequence of Stoops' physical run the ball all the time approach. We may be the worst team in the league for receivers and QBs right now. We just don't throw the ball and don't seem to have a plan in place to do so. Our leading receiver only managed 500 yards and 2 TDs. That's not good. For 5 years now we've had under utilized receivers and TEs.

We still have no difference maker at the position and with Meechi and Shocky gone we don't have anyone that we are currently recruiting that could be a difference maker.

I hate to say it, but I think you are correct. Hope we attract top tier running backs to make up for this kind of philosophy, if not, then NOT GOOD.

Meechi was one of the best commits we had. There is zero chance that Stoops is the one that moved on. This may be a consequence of Stoops' physical run the ball all the time approach. We may be the worst team in the league for receivers and QBs right now. We just don't throw the ball and don't seem to have a plan in place to do so. Our leading receiver only managed 500 yards and 2 TDs. That's not good. For 5 years now we've had under utilized receivers and TEs.

We still have no difference maker at the position and with Meechi and Shocky gone we don't have anyone that we are currently recruiting that could be a difference maker.

There actually is a chance this was mutual. It’s more likely than not. Stoops expected and wanted Harris to sign today. If he has to fight for a WR over the next two months, I suspect Stoops prefer that he kid just open his recruitment so there is no confusion when Stoops goes hard for other WRs or recruits for that open slot. After today, Stoops will know how many openings he has for February signing. His approach to that signing will likely be different from today. I am not sure that Meechi was the type of player you save a spot for when you can get a commit from another player. UK has a bunch of all-in guys signing today. Stoops and his staff; in addition to recruiting for the 2019 class, will probably take some big shots over the next two months and see how the pieces fall. So, I disagree with your exaggerated conclusion.

I have to wonder if Harris is going to be the first in a long line of kids that get burned playing Russian roulette with their signatures. I could see a ton of kids skipping on the initial signing day in hopes of getting an offer from one of the big boys. Then, when that offer doesn't pan out, their initial suitors have already filled their slot under the assumption that one of the big boys doesn't take you. In such a case, you're going to find kids landing in some far-flung places, "low on the ladder" places that weren't even on their radar in the first place. This could be great for some really lousy school that end up landing recruits that are, generally speaking, out of their league.

So, don't be surprised if you see something like this:

--Harris ditches UK
--Waits for an OSU / BAMA / CLEM type offer
--The offer never materializes
--Harris crawls back to UK/UT, who have filled their scholarship limit
--Harris lands in some God forsaken deserted outpost of a program, Temple or Buffalo, something like that

So, as Stoops just said, he will use the next month to deal with surprises. I think he wanted Meechi to be straight with them and he was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT