ADVERTISEMENT

McDonald's Pre-Game Presser (Quaintance/Fland/Knox)

Have we reached the “we really recruited some dawgs this year” phase of the Cal cycle of futility already? Nothing personal against these kids, and I really do hope they do well. I’m just past the point of getting excited about our next recruiting class as if it’s going to change anything. I’ve been burned too many times by Cal doing the same thing every year no matter who’s on the team at this point.

Last edited:
The best part about freshman is how great they perform in the tournament: Ashton Hagans, PJ Washington, Jamal Murray, Devin Booker, Brandon Knight, Reed Sheppard, ……..

People talk about Anthony Davis on the 12 team but we wouldn’t have won shit without Doron Lamb or Darius Miller. Anyway I guess what I’m saying is more freshmen please!

The best part about freshman is how great they perform in the tournament: Ashton Hagans, PJ Washington, Jamal Murray, Devin Booker, Brandon Knight, Reed Sheppard, ……..

People talk about Anthony Davis on the 12 team but we wouldn’t have won shit without Doron Lamb or Darius Miller. Anyway I guess what I’m saying is more freshmen please!
Think many forget AD only scored 2 points I believe in the title game. His defense was stout as usual though but he had a poor offensive game.

Think many forget AD only scored 2 points I believe in the title game. His defense was stout as usual though but he had a poor offensive game.

Doron Lamb and Darius Miller played fantastic as they were experienced upperclassmen that had been to the tournament before.

Reactions: TM2013
Cal might as well just give us the ole middle finger and say forget the portal and returning players and just sign McNeely and then get Peterson or Jasper Johnson to reclass and play all Freshmen.

G Fland
G Peterson or Johnson
G McNeely
F Knox
F Quaintance

That would be such a Cal move. That would show us who’s the boss.

Love Fland's comments on pressure. Says this is what you sign up for when committing to Kentucky. JQ says we will be much better defensively next year. Knox is focused on going pro. Haha
Does Ky even want Knox?

Potentially very encouraging. McNeeley adds in that video that Fland is the one person that stood out to him. Hopefully that means he'd like to play together with him next year.
Check out the HS game between Fland's team and Montverde -- McNeely was the shooting forward for Montverde. Fland did everything except sell popcorn. Several days ago, I watched last year's McDonald's game and realized that McDonald's people have no more idea who will do well in college than the average fan who watches HS ball.

Reactions: mcwildcats04
I wouldn’t even mind if Cal signs McNeely as long as he doesn’t promise him PT AND will use all 13 scholarships. We have to at least get 6 veterans (returnees and portal guys) and they play over the Freshmen unless the Freshmen earn the spot by outplaying the veterans.

While I'm not expecting a whole lot from these recruits, compared to our last crop, Which had several in the top5/top7..

It is possible that Fland and others could out perform guys like DJ, Edwards and Bradshaw.

We sort of forget in this whole disaster of a season, that those 3 were really really bad for much of the year. Or, at least, they were not playing to their rankings. Guys like Bradshaw played like he might as well have been a 3-star recruit as far as I'm concerned. DJ only a little better, and Edwards only better in the final month. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of our incoming guys won't prove to be more effective and productive than those 3. It certainly wouldn't take a whole lot to accomplish this.

Reactions: catben
Cal does. UK fans, not so much.
Again, we don't know how any of these kids will turn out. Did you predict Reed and Rob as the two studs of the team this year? I still think Cal brings in good young players. He may fail to motivate them once they are here but he would also do that with older players. He needs a ton of talent to succeed. I hope they all live up to the hype.

Reactions: mcwildcats04
Cal does. UK fans, not so much.
So, you're the guy UK fans send their appraisals to.

Knox is a big bull of a player. If you were tired of UK defenders getting knocked out of the way, you'd want a player built like Knox to stiffen up UK's defense. I guess most UK fans have never watched Knox and couldn't tell you anything about him.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
I wouldn’t even mind if Cal signs McNeely as long as he doesn’t promise him PT AND will use all 13 scholarships. We have to at least get 6 veterans (returnees and portal guys) and they play over the Freshmen unless the Freshmen earn the spot by outplaying the veterans.
Not every portal guy is going to be Oscar or Knenct.
Not every freshman is going to struggle.
You really don't know until they take the court.

To be fair a lot of the guys you listed helped get us pretty far before one bad game.

MCNeely is the kind of skilled player I’d rather get honestly. We just don’t have the spots. We need returnees and or portal guys too.

Of course, I’m very skeptical of him.
If you're referring to Knox, his comments remind me exactly of Cason's comments at the same point. People thought it might not be a good sign for Cason's freshmen year but he ended up having a good year and being a good teammate. I know Knox is not on the same level but hopefully not too much to read into his comments.

If you're referring to Knox, his comments remind me exactly of Cason's comments at the same point. People thought it might not be a good sign for Cason's freshmen year but he ended up having a good year and being a good teammate. I know Know is not on the same level but hopefully not too much to read into his comments.
Yeah but you could tell Cason was focused like Livingston on going pro and that was about it. I never felt like that team cared too much how they did. I believe Cason did give it his all, I really enjoyed him as a player. I hope your right but it seems like Knox has always just wanted to be pro and tried every route to do that.

So, you're the guy UK fans send their appraisals to.

Knox is a big bull of a player. If you were tired of UK defenders getting knocked out of the way, you'd want a player built like Knox to stiffen up UK's defense. I guess most UK fans have never watched Knox and couldn't tell you anything about him.
He is a freshman who is a one and done and expects playing time . That’s all I need to know .

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT