ADVERTISEMENT

McDonalds all American game

I used to look forward to this game every year. I know it’s just an exhibition, but it was a chance to get a first look at UKs incoming freshman more often than not. These days I could care less. I’m less than confident that Cal will accomplish anything of significance with them.
To be honest... no body accomplishes anything with them in one year. It used to matter when they were going to stick around 3-4 years. There is too much difference between an 18 yo and at 21 yo for elite freshman to be relevant in their one year.

Reactions: uk78
To be honest... no body accomplishes anything with them in one year.
Yeah, so true, unless you want to count Brandon Knight, Terrance Jones, Doron Lamb, Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-GIlchrist, Marquis Teague, Julius Randle, The Harrison Twins, James Young, Dakari Johnson, Karl Anthony Towns, Trey Lyles, Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis, all of whom played in the Final Four or beyond as freshmen, and some on teams that were dominated by freshmen. DeAaron Fox, Malik Monk and Bam Adebayo missed by a last second shot after a referee's screwing, as did Tyler Herro, Kelvin Johnson and others in OT.

I think the 2012 Cats and 2015 Cats would both be doing fine in this year's tournament, playing on and likely to reach the Final Four and both teams had a freshman as the dominant player. Honestly, I'm not sure I've seen a team better than the 2014 or 2017 Cats this year.

Of course the dominant player on Alabama, the team that has looked the best so far in the Tournament is...that's right, a freshman. And Arkansas, who upset #1 seed Kansas, has a best player who is a freshman.

So, yeah, freshmen are irrelevant.

Last edited:
mmmm....yeah......when are the practices.....mmmmm......

i-see-you-creep.gif

Yeah, so true, unless you want to count Brandon Knight, Terrance Jones, Doron Lamb, Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-GIlchrist, Marquis Teague, Julius Randle, The Harrison Twins, James Young, Dakari Johnson, Karl Anthony Towns, Trey Lyles, Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis, all of whom played in the Final Four or beyond as freshmen, and some on teams that were dominated by freshmen. DeAaron Fox, Malik Monk and Bam Adebayo missed by a last second shot after a referee's screwing, as did Tyler Herro, Kelvin Johnson and others in OT.

I think the 2012 Cats and 2015 Cats would both be doing fine in this year's tournament, playing on and likely to reach the Final Four and both teams had a freshman as the dominant player. Honestly, I'm not sure I've seen a team better than the 2014 or 2017 Cats this year.

Of course the dominant player on Alabama, the team that has looked the best so far in the Tournament is...that's right, a freshman. And Arkansas, who upset #1 seed Kansas, has a best player who is a freshman.

Scarlett Johansson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
Funny Face GIF

Yes, all these listed had great Freshman outcomes. However, many were not consistent, other than Davis-Gilchrist-Teague combo supported by experienced talent were any others winning a Natl Championship and in fact, some of these talented Freshman sort of crapped out in the tourney. Experience still matters and I am excited to watch the McDonald's game to see if our recruits live up to the hype. But, we need one or two top portal transfers and a few key players to return. Otherwise it will be the same old thing.

Yes, all these listed had great Freshman outcomes. However, many were not consistent, other than Davis-Gilchrist-Teague combo supported by experienced talent were any others winning a Natl Championship and in fact, some of these talented Freshman sort of crapped out in the tourney. Experience still matters and I am excited to watch the McDonald's game to see if our recruits live up to the hype. But, we need one or two top portal transfers and a few key players to return. Otherwise it will be the same old thing.
No argument. And Kentucky will have experience: Some combination of Reeves, Livingston, Ugo, Collins, Theiro, and no doubt a transfer or two. Read the post I was responding to: The guy said elite freshmen are irrelevant. None of the players I listed were irrelevant. And almost all of them played in the Final Four.

Mic drop.

Reactions: hunterm11
No argument. And Kentucky will have experience: Some combination of Reeves, Livingston, Ugo, Collins, Theiro, and no doubt a transfer or two. Read the post I was responding to: The guy said elite freshmen are irrelevant. None of the players I listed were irrelevant. And almost all of them played in the Final Four.
And you did not even list Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe who were part of one of UK’s greatest overall seasons.

So much talent... graded highly out of HS... and what does UK have to show for it?
(+) A single championship (thanks to the only truly transcendent individual), the very few what-if's and if-not-for's you listed, and kids getting to the NBA quickly (if you [as CCC does] a goal of the program).
(-) Losses, to the tune of rapidly losing the All-time wins lead... including five season of double-digit losses... an end to consecutive NCCA tourney appearances... an NIT first-round loss (smh)... etc.
The only point I was trying to make is... getting MD All-americans doesn't mean what it did 15 years ago... it means losses, but worse kids that don't develop to make it here or establish lasting ties to UK... yet so many get excited about it signing them. Would much rather have a team of 4-stars that we get to watch play a bit as freshman, notice improvement as sophomores, and really break out their junior or senior year.
CCC getting kids that are going to the NBA no matter where they end up, and then taking credit for it... has worn old.
Finally, it wasn't Black (fr) or Smith (fr) that beat Kansas (they were irrelevant in that game [as was Dick (fr)])... it was Council (jr). As for Alabama... they are much more than Miller... they'll go as far as Quinerly (sr) takes them.

Arkansas’s best player is not a freshman. Are you talking about the guy who had to be benched down the stretch in round 1?

A lot of College players in general aren't consistent. Darius Miller, and Poythress are 2 that frustrated many on here to no end and they played 4 years. Inconsistency is a big part of college players, you still want the good ones.

Will be a lethal combo with onyenso and Bradshaw in the middle. I’d play Bradshaw at the four spot.

So much talent... graded highly out of HS... and what does UK have to show for it?
(+) A single championship (thanks to the only truly transcendent individual), the very few what-if's and if-not-for's you listed, and kids getting to the NBA quickly (if you [as CCC does] a goal of the program).
(-) Losses, to the tune of rapidly losing the All-time wins lead... including five season of double-digit losses... an end to consecutive NCCA tourney appearances... an NIT first-round loss (smh)... etc.
The only point I was trying to make is... getting MD All-americans doesn't mean what it did 15 years ago... it means losses, but worse kids that don't develop to make it here or establish lasting ties to UK... yet so many get excited about it signing them. Would much rather have a team of 4-stars that we get to watch play a bit as freshman, notice improvement as sophomores, and really break out their junior or senior year.
CCC getting kids that are going to the NBA no matter where they end up, and then taking credit for it... has worn old.
Finally, it wasn't Black (fr) or Smith (fr) that beat Kansas (they were irrelevant in that game [as was Dick (fr)])... it was Council (jr). As for Alabama... they are much more than Miller... they'll go as far as Quinerly (sr) takes them.
This day n time it's very difficult to get a kid and keep him 4 seasons at UK. We just had toppin who's been here 3 seasons, and most everyone complained about him. UK is a different animal. If a kid is good player he wont bypass the NBA draft until senior year.

This day n time it's very difficult to get a kid and keep him 4 seasons at UK. We just had toppin who's been here 3 seasons, and most everyone complained about him. UK is a different animal. If a kid is good player he wont bypass the NBA draft until senior year.
lol... it's really difficult when they're being moved out the door or pushed down the bench for the next "sure thing".
Don't get me started on Toppin (though, I like him and blame CCC). Toppin does a national commercial about staying multiple years to get better... as though he ever had the opportunity to go to the NBA... as though he had any other choice.

Wonder The Collier kid is going from Georgia To USC… you would think he would want to go to a basketball school to get More attention

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT