ADVERTISEMENT

Matt jones this morning stated kentucky

Nothing happens till season is over.
Im hoping they go out on the win and not a loss.
Id say 100% he retires if they dont make the final four. Probably after the Derby week.
A Championship and he also 100% retires after couple weeks.

Makes final four and loses? Probably comes back.

But make no mistake this could be the last 10 or so games with Coach Calipari for sure. 💯
If you look at it like that its kinda sad. Hate to see him flame out

Id say 100% he retires if they dont make the final four. Probably after the Derby week.

But make no mistake this could be the last 10 or so games with Coach Calipari for sure. 💯

I know a lot are ready to see him go, myself included, but I'm gonna have mixed feelings on that day. The man did deliver a title and a lot of fun times in Lexington. It'll feel very similar to when Tubby left I imagine.

He flamed out years ago. It’s sad he didn’t leave when he knew he did.

I know a lot are ready to see him go, myself included, but I'm gonna have mixed feelings on that day. The man did deliver a title and a lot of fun times in Lexington. It'll feel very similar to when Tubby left I imagine.
No mixed feelings here after the past 7 years of underperforming. If he would’ve left after flaming out in 2018 we may have had one or two more championships with someone different.

More than likely they would’ve done better than CCC over that time. They definitely wouldn‘t have done any worse. Cal is BCG bad.

And Cal won’t miss you. The Cal pumpers will see the man for what he really is after he is gone and throws EVERY SINGLE KY FAN UNDER THE BUS.

I think that's fair. I think the majority of fans including myself are appreciative of what Cal did, but I think the majority of fans just want a change.

When Tubby left, it was extremely exciting, because the last five years of Tubby was boring on the court and off. At least when Cal is losing, the world is still talking about UK in the same breath with the best of teams, because talent keeps rolling in. Tubby was done after UAB in 2004, and completely lifeless after Michigan State in 2005.

I know the knock against Cal is he hasn't done as much as people think he should have with talent, but at least off-seasons are exciting. Recruiting is one aspect of the game that gets people hyped. As long as Kentucky rolls in with the best players, we're always in the national conversation. That was not the case in seven out of Tubby's ten years, and one of those years was Pitino-recruited players.

Past the point of being sad actually. Sad is how I would describe his effort at this stage. Would have been a much better parting of ways if this were 5-6 years ago. His departure now will feel like a weight off of everyone’s shoulders.

This only ends if cal says so. He is owed way too much money to get fired. He leads a very solid off court life so he isn't going to slip up on any clause where they can terminate him on a morality based clause.

Best we can hope for us a negotiated buy out. Going to be tough because we will have virtually zero leverage unless the contract is way different than we're told

Ranks 4th in the sec from the last 6 years does mitch hold anyone accountable with all those millions he throws around my God that alone should remove calipari
Who are the teams ahead of UK in those years.

- I would guess Auburn, Bama and Tenn are the 3 ahead of us...but would like to confirm.

This only ends if cal says so. He is owed way too much money to get fired. He leads a very solid off court life so he isn't going to slip up on any clause where they can terminate him on a morality based clause.

Best we can hope for us a negotiated buy out. Going to be tough because we will have virtually zero leverage unless the contract is way different than we're told

People have said it can be paid out over several years. Idk if Cal would allow it paid out over say 10. Unless it is an advantage for him don't see him doing that as UK would have fired him n this scenario.

I still remember where I was at the day he was announced to be UK’s next HC, and it was a large sports bar in Northern Kentucky, and me and the other couple of hundred people there went completely apeshit after hearing the news!

Then the next 5 years happened and I would have never believed, ever, that that Calipari would ever end up being the Calipari he is today! If I hadn’t witnessed it myself, I would have never remotely believed it. Sad, where this relationship has gone.

In 2019, I was so sad when didn't go to UCLA. Back then people were celebrating keeping him. Not me
Well ... apparently, you're a lot smarter than Mitch. My attitude was if he didn't want to coach here and willing to use another offer to leverage more money out of us ... I said, let him go. Mitch screwed that one up badly, as it turns out.

People have said it can be paid out over several years. Idk if Cal would allow it paid out over say 10. Unless it is an advantage for him don't see him doing that as UK would have fired him n this scenario.
I wouldn't take a multi-year payout unless there was some interest paid or adjustment for inflation. Any decent financial advisor can make 8-10% interest per year on that. Although I don't know what the tax implications would be for lump sum vs annual payout.

It's also why if I ever won the lottery, I'd take the lump sum payout in a heartbeat. Only reason not to would be if you don't trust yourself to handle your finances.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I wouldn't take a multi-year payout unless there was some interest paid or adjustment for inflation. Any decent financial advisor can make 8-10% interest per year on that. Although I don't know what the tax implications would be for lump sum vs annual payout.

It's also why if I ever won the lottery, I'd take the lump sum payout in a heartbeat. Only reason not to would be if you don't trust yourself to handle your finances.

100% agree. Idc if I have to pay more taxes for the lump sum as long as I have enough take home to enjoy rest of life and travel. We are talking big lotto win of course.

Over 20 years or whatever is crazy. I may be dead in a week or 7 years. I want to enjoy the money now.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
When Tubby left, it was extremely exciting, because the last five years of Tubby was boring on the court and off. At least when Cal is losing, the world is still talking about UK in the same breath with the best of teams, because talent keeps rolling in. Tubby was done after UAB in 2004, and completely lifeless after Michigan State in 2005.

I know the knock against Cal is he hasn't done as much as people think he should have with talent, but at least off-seasons are exciting. Recruiting is one aspect of the game that gets people hyped. As long as Kentucky rolls in with the best players, we're always in the national conversation. That was not the case in seven out of Tubby's ten years, and one of those years was Pitino-recruited players.
I will give you that this is one valid way to look at the situation but there are also other valid ways. For example, three years to the day before he left Tubby had our Cats selected “overall number one seed” (the first team in history to bear that distinction). Yes, he flamed out that year against UAB although to my mind that was about him being a pushover and letting Nolan Richardson watch all our week-of practice preparations so that man could turn around and hand Mike Davis a ridiculously unfair scouting report. But he also coached and obviously recruited well enough to get us there in the first place.

When was the last time we were any kind of number one seed? For my money I had mixed feelings when Tubby left, but I’ll be straight up overjoyed if we ever get out from under Cal. (And Mitch.)

I will give you that this is one valid way to look at the situation but there are also other valid ways. For example, three years to the day before he left Tubby had our Cats selected “overall number one seed” (the first team in history to bear that distinction). Yes, he flamed out that year against UAB although to my mind that was about him being a pushover and letting Nolan Richardson watch all our week-of practice preparations so that man could turn around and hand Mike Davis a ridiculously unfair scouting report. But he also coached and obviously recruited well enough to get us there in the first place.

When was the last time we were any kind of number one seed? For my money I had mixed feelings when Tubby left, but I’ll be straight up overjoyed if we ever get out from under Cal. (And Mitch.)
Crazy thing is, that 2004 #1 overall seed was 27-5, and went 13-3 in an SEC that only had 3 teams over .500. That team would probably be 10th place in this league.

I think UK is actually 5th. Arkansas had several elite 8s in last 4 years and better SEC tournament results

No mixed feelings here after the past 7 years of underperforming.
This is why it’s so hard to take some of you people seriously. ‘17 and ‘19 were not underperformances. Each year we were a single shot away from a Final Four as a 2 seed. Losing in OT and on a buzzer beater as a 2 seed is not underperforming by any definition of the word in a single elimination tournament.

There is realistically no difference between a year like ‘11 or ‘14 and a year like ‘17. In ‘14 we were the beneficiary of some really lucky shots. In ‘17 we were on the other side of luck like that.

Me too his first 8ish years were really fun, some great moments even in the bad time but it’s gotten to the point it feels like no matter who he gets it’s not happening now.

Reactions: Wonky

Wishful thinking....do you know how much $$$$$ is still on the table?

I understand the excitement of recruiting. And I’m not knocking that for anybody else, because this is all about entertainment/enjoyment. But UK is not getting the “best players,” they’re getting the most highly ranked high school recruits. Now those recruits may be the best high school players, or maybe just have the most “talent” (i.e., potential/upside). For me personally, the chasing of recruiting titles has long lost its luster. Relying on a multitude of high school OADs is not going to get it done when it comes to competing with the best for a title.

This is why it’s so hard to take some of you people seriously. ‘17 and ‘19 were not underperformances. Each year we were a single shot away from a Final Four as a 2 seed. Losing in OT and on a buzzer beater as a 2 seed is not underperforming by any definition of the word in a single elimination tournament.

There is realistically no difference between a year like ‘11 or ‘14 and a year like ‘17. In ‘14 we were the beneficiary of some really lucky shots. In ‘17 we were on the other side of luck like that.
I didn’t count 2017 In the 7 years. In 2019 we lost to Auburn without their best player.
Cal has underperformed and underachieved since 2017 while losing the all times wins lead(soon to be for the 2nd time), losing the NCAAT wins lead, worst season in 100 years at 9-16, worst loss in NCAAT history, lost 3 straight in Rupp for the first time in history.

I don‘t know what other bad records you want him to break before you take it serious?
There can’t be many bad ones left for the underachiever to break at this point.

The funny thing is if we make final four in 2017 and 2019 but lose n elite 8 n 2011 and 2014 the tenure is viewed differently due to them being spread out more. Same number of final fours though.

Still doesn't excuse last 3.5 seasons but still.

Reactions: gojvc and ukcatz12
The funny thing is if we make final four in 2017 and 2019 but lose n elite 8 n 2011 and 2014 the tenure is viewed differently due to them being spread out more. Same number of final fours though.

Still doesn't excuse last 3.5 seasons but still.
100% agree. I've been saying for a while now if you even out the luck between Cal's first half and second half it doesn't look as bad. Really only the years from Covid onward have been bad. And honestly the '22 team was pretty damn good, we just finally fell victim to a first round upset.

This is not really about cal its about tradition the gold standard cal refers too Kentucky basketball transcend the game its about culture if cal can't get it done then we must move on our heritage demands it if mitch can't figure that out remove him too

Reactions: crestcat
4th? And you're acting like it's an abomination? You guys got some serious birthright-for-success delusion. We could be IU.

Capilouto is Mitch's boss and Mitch is Cal's boss (sort of, but not really given the contract).
  • Capilouto cares more about endowments than sports. Not saying that's bad necessarily, but don't expect him to be tough on Mitch.
  • Mitch is nearing retirement and hamstrung by an absolutely foolish contract given to coach past his prime.
  • Cal cares more about his personal brand than UK's.
The only people who are going to "hold Cal accountable" are the boosters and fans, and Cal all but ignores the latter.

Our best hope is that Ellen really wants to move to Nashville to be near her daughter and son.

Reactions: deep3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT