ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones says UK probably Liberty Bowl bound if UK loses to UL

Memphis is a cesspool. TN residents regularly wish we could annex it and give it away to Arkansas or even pay them a few bucks to take it off our hands. God I wish the MS River was to the east of Memphis all the way so this could have been avoided.

So yeah, not wanting Liberty here.
True for sure...I keep hoping it will break off and float down the river

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Let's look at last years music city liberty bowl

Liberty UGA/tcu

Music city. UT/ Nebraska

Based on season following those most would take liberty. And just because you go there doesn't mean you suck. I don't see how that it is so much below the music city on this board.

Only a couple posters would want the encore and fire a coach like UT and Nebraska followed music city with

I'm a basketball and football fan... if UK makes a warm weather bowl, I'm there...if it's cold Tennessee, then I would rather watch Lville in rupp

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Let's look at last years music city liberty bowl

Liberty UGA/tcu

Music city. UT/ Nebraska

Based on season following those most would take liberty. And just because you go there doesn't mean you suck. I don't see how that it is so much below the music city on this board.

Only a couple posters would want the encore and fire a coach like UT and Nebraska followed music city with
The only reason people want the MCB is because they know and like Nashville. Some would want to go there no matter how good we are.

Which, fine. I won't be going so it doesn't make much difference to me. My only thought is that it would be nice to mark the 50th anniversary of integrating the SEC by taking Nate Northington to the Liberty Bowl and its accompanying tour of the Lorraine Hotel/National Civil Rights Museum. It would be a nice honor for him.

You guys are making this into a football vs basketball thing. That's an incorrect way to look at it. It's simple. They (bowl reps, conference reps, UK reps) want to avoid any bowl game that coincides with something that might distract the fan base and have a potentially negative impact on turnout. Like, say, a basketball game against our biggest rival! Like it or not, if those 2 things happen at the same time, some number of Kentucky fans that might have gone to a bowl game will opt to watch basketball instead. That's an obvious fact. We'd have fewer folks go to the bowl than otherwise would go. So, why pick that bowl? The analysis is pretty easy.

Reactions: warrior_SW
I just don't understand WHY UK in all their infinite wisdom scheduled the game for the same day as MCB. They should try to avoid scheduling a game of this magnitude on the same day as an SEC affiliated bowl game. Surely it can't be that difficult.

Reactions: robo222
I just don't understand WHY UK in all their infinite wisdom scheduled the game for the same day as MCB. They should try to avoid scheduling a game of this magnitude on the same day as an SEC affiliated bowl game. Surely it can't be that difficult.
Don't you know TV usually schedules games for when they want them. Why would uk want to schedule a big game at one o'clock on a weekday?

Tv dictates schedule and we all know that. The uofl game never falls on the same date, because espn says when we will play it.

Reactions: robo222
Agree somewhat, but this is where folks outside the state really don't get it ...IF, and that is a BIG IF, we beat U6 and get selected for MC bowl then BBN gets in to the tune of 35-40 K ...FB first!
And part of the reason UK will get in is because people can go to Nashville, tailgate while watching bball game and/or go to bar to watch the game, and then head to football game. Belk doesn't offer that opportunity.

Like it or not the bball game will impact how the fan base travels to a bowl game. Not picking sides, just stating the truth.

It isn't going to matter....give Stoops 30 days to prepare and see what happens....oh wait...GTech happens. Worst game prep coach ever at UK.
I have said here many times that I was not a fan of UK staff's prep for the Gator Bowl last year. Too many comments in pregame press conferences about "balancing work and fun" in FL, and it sure showed in the game. However, this was Stoops' 1st bowl as a head coach. Coaches make good money, but they are human. There isn't a person on this board who hasn't been through a learning curve and gotten more effective through experience on the job. There is way too much demand for perfection here, coming from imperfect people. Just getting to a bowl in 2016 was a big improvement over finishing 5-7, and a big step forward for our program. Getting to another bowl gives us extra practices in December, at a time when we need them so our coaches can get a good look at Danny Clark, Gunnar Hoak, EJ Price, Nassir Watkins, Boogie Watson, Jordan Wright. Hopefully our coaches learned from last year's bowl experience, and won't be concerned with balancing work and fun this time. That is my expectation.

For me the season boils down to the Cats beating UofL, Stoops wins that game I will be mostly satisfied with the season and forget the Florida and Ole Miss games
Our 2017 season does not boil down to beating UL. But 8-4 with 2 straight over UL would be a very good way for Stoops to go into the offseason.

Our 2017 season does not boil down to beating UL. But 8-4 with 2 straight over UL would be a very good way for Stoops to go into the offseason.
Just said for me it does, we blew some chances at a really great season, but beat UofL and I can live with this season.

Just said for me it does, we blew some chances at a really great season, but beat UofL and I can live with this season.
I sure get what you are saying. For a lot of people, beating UL is a huge deal. But we beat them last year, and many of those same people were already all over Stoops again by September. I don't get too lathered about single games. I look at year over year recruiting and take a multi-year view on development of players and their impact on our offensive and defensive doctrine. Whether we beat UL this week or not, we will be in our 2nd straight bowl. So this brings me back around to the subject of what this season "boils down" to. For me, it is about this next recruiting class, and whether Stoops can close it strongly. That is the future of our program with a head coach under contract for longer than any of our current players will be here. I am also watching progress made by this year's outstanding redshirts.

I sure get what you are saying. For a lot of people, beating UL is a huge deal. But we beat them last year, and many of those same people were already all over Stoops again by September. I don't get too lathered about single games. I look at year over year recruiting and take a multi-year view on development of players and their impact on our offensive and defensive doctrine. Whether we beat UL this week or not, we will be in our 2nd straight bowl. So this brings me back around to the subject of what this season "boils down" to. For me, it is about this next recruiting class, and whether Stoops can close it strongly. That is the future of our program with a head coach under contract for longer than any of our current players will be here. I am also watching progress made by this year's outstanding redshirts.[/QUOT

Compared to Joker Stoops and his guys are knocking it out of the park as far as recruiting goes. Neil Brown said that when he and Stoops evaluated the talent that first year, they could not have beaten good 1AA schools, that is how far down Joker took them.

CBS says Music City vs Wake Forest

ESPN says Belk vs Wake Forest

SI says Music City vs Northwestern

Sporting news says Taxslayer vs Vtech

We also saved the season with some wins that could have easily gone the opposite direction. Just depends on how you look at things.

I was criticized weeks ago for suggesting we might be better off 7-5 or 8-4 than 9-3 or 10-2. I am grateful we are not 10-2 and playing on New Year's Day... so criticize me again. We don't deserve being matched with a P5 conference runner-up, and it would prove embarrassingly clear to the national audience. Maybe in 2019.

We finished third in the East, Outback bowl is out. I wanted that. We beat UoL and there are a few good bowls better than the liberty that will open up.

We finished third in the East, Outback bowl is out. I wanted that. We beat UoL and there are a few good bowls better than the liberty that will open up.
And what bowls would that be?

Even with a win over Louisville we are still in the pool of six no matter what happens.

Reactions: Nuke99m
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT