ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones says UK probably Liberty Bowl bound if UK loses to UL

Let's make it complicated.
Agreed. But only because we need to beat UL. The Liberty bowl isn't a bad draw if that's what we end up with. I' ok with that part. Obviously we all want to go to Florida this time of year but Memphis is a decent bow. Still We need to beat UL no matter what. End on a high note.

Reactions: howercat
I hope the UK/U of L b-ball game doesn't limit UK's options. I also hope we go nowhere near the freaking Belk Bowl.

If UK plays in Tennessee or Florida, I'll be making the trip. So I'm really hoping we get a bowl in Tampa, Memphis, or Nashville.

GBB!!!

Reactions: Ridgecat and cat888
If UK wins they should be a lock for the Music City Bowl or Belk Bowl.

Memphis is a cesspool. TN residents regularly wish we could annex it and give it away to Arkansas or even pay them a few bucks to take it off our hands. God I wish the MS River was to the east of Memphis all the way so this could have been avoided.

So yeah, not wanting Liberty here.

I don't mind going to Memphis. I don't want to play WVU though. I'd rather play Iowa in Nashville.

GBB!!!
Yes MS would much rather play some B10 TEAM the has likes to play same fb he does...he would have to score a bunch of pts against wvu.

What Matt Jones is really saying, he does not want a bowl game at the same time the UL basketball game is being played.

But UK should be extended and accept a bowl game that is best for our football program and football fans. If that is during or the same afternoon as the BB game so be it. No it is not complicated.

Memphis is a cesspool. TN residents regularly wish we could annex it and give it away to Arkansas or even pay them a few bucks to take it off our hands. God I wish the MS River was to the east of Memphis all the way so this could have been avoided.

So yeah, not wanting Liberty here.
Come on now .... tell us how you really feel about Elvis' hometown !

What Matt Jones is really saying, he does not want a bowl game at the same time the UL basketball game is being played.

But UK should be extended and accept a bowl game that is best for our football program and football fans. If that is during or the same afternoon as the BB game so be it. No it is not complicated.
Don't know why that would matter, Matt isn't missing a UK basketball game, even for the Rapture !

The complication is that UK officials can't make this decision on their own. Bowls make the bids in cooperation with the SEC offices . . . . the bowl reps might actually give a damn that there is a UK roundball game, and that might stay their hand on extending an invitation.

Totally agree with this.

The complication is that UK officials can't make this decision on their own. Bowls make the bids in cooperation with the SEC offices . . . . the bowl reps might actually give a damn that there is a UK roundball game, and that might stay their hand on extending an invitation.
It is obvious we can not pick our bowl game but the SEC office and bowl reps should understand our basketball game is not a factor to the UK football fan base. As football fans we should not care. Let's put our football program ahead of a regular season BB game. That will help recruiting as much as anything.

Sports bars where I live will be showing college bowl games and I imagine it is like that across the nation. That is good exposure.

Reactions: martycat1

I guess he means if we win, a better offer is coming?

Let's put our football program ahead of a regular season BB game.

I and you, and many others put our football program ahead of many things, but I just don't see the argument that "we" can do a damn thing about it, including, likely, Barnhardt. For better or worse, deep southern bowl reps are not likely to listen to an argument that a UK roundball game will have little to no effect on our bowl game. We've spent decades bragging about being No. 1 in roundball attendance, and they know we seat 23,000 (+).

Sawnee, I'm not arguing the overall merit of your posts, just the simple reality of this being out of the hands of "us," or "we."

The only solution I can see for the problem is to solve it for next year and going forward . . . . namely, negotiate to keep roundball games away from the more desirable bowl slots, namely December 30th, 31st, and January 1st.

Reactions: BARRYBLUE1
I and you, and many others put our football program ahead of many things, but I just don't see the argument that "we" can do a damn thing about it, including, likely, Barnhardt. For better or worse, deep southern bowl reps are not likely to listen to an argument that a UK roundball game will have little to no effect on our bowl game. We've spent decades bragging about being No. 1 in roundball attendance, and they know we seat 23,000 (+).

Sawnee, I'm not arguing the overall merit of your posts, just the simple reality of this being out of the hands of "us," or "we."

The only solution I can see for the problem is to solve it for next year and going forward . . . . namely, negotiate to keep roundball games away from the more desirable bowl slots, namely December 30th, 31st, and January 1st.
We agree. Play a BB game a day or two after Christmas and take the rest of the year off. Cal can get his boot camp in full swing that week.

WVU QB, UF transfer who beat UK as a freshman, sustained a hand injury that may linger into bowl season.

Was curious about that. Caught a bit of WVU/Texas game and thought that the WVU QB wasn’t very sharp. Figured that the TX D was the issue but now it makes sense.

With that said - prepare for him to look like Tom Brady if we play them due to our history of making backups look like Heisman winners.

Amen.

Agree somewhat, but this is where folks outside the state really don't get it ...IF, and that is a BIG IF, we beat U6 and get selected for MC bowl then BBN gets in to the tune of 35-40 K ...FB first!

Reactions: martycat1
ADVERTISEMENT