ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones said

Good. Don’t understand why anybody would want any assistant with ties to Cal.

Matt needs to just let stuff happen, Jesus. Or at least only report on significant stuff. He seems extremely thirsty.
Kinda like a guy who comes to a message board just to take a shot anytime someone mentions Matt Jones? That's pretty thirsty.

I couldn’t tell you one person on UCONN’s staff
Only one I knew by heart was Bill Murray's kid (was one of Chris Mack's sacrificial lambs a few years ago).

Pretty interesting staff now that I look at it. Just 3 assistants and 0 of the non-recruiting assistants like we had. One is a guy who was brought over from Rhode Island and had been at UConn under Calhoun. The other is a journeyman assistant who is pretty highly respected.

Also of note that their director of player development (there's is an off court role, some schools use this title as an on-court skill development role) and their video/scouting guy are two young guys who were recently UConn GA's. One played at UConn, the other played high school for Bob Hurley.

I find it telling that both O and Payne would inquire at UK, instead of going straight to Cal. Whether it be because they are Big Blue, or they just can't stand Cal, you got to respect it either way. I'm not sure either would be effective in Pope's system.

Reactions: WildcatSir
Sure.

I will publicly admit to being wrong if you can provide something of substance?

You quoted me first, fwiw.
I’m curious how someone proves an assistant is or is not a “yes” man.

I don’t have a dog in the fight, but just curious how something like that is proven.

Payne looked and coached like he was in the twilight of his career. I would rather have a hungry up and comer.
Kenny Payne was a fantastic assistant coach, here and in New York. Plus, if we hired him, we could pay him shit and UL can pay him to coach here. I don't understand the hate for him. He was great here. All of our big guys swear by him.

• Haha
Reactions: UKPopeVIII

I don’t have a dog in the fight, but just curious how something like that is proven.

You can tell by personality, actions, instances where they stood up to Cal, called him out on any of the dumb crap he done, have their input used by Cal instead of his opinion triumph theirs, etc. I mean anything at all along those lines would suffice.

Kenny Payne was a fantastic assistant coach, here and in New York. Plus, if we hired him, we could pay him shit and UL can pay him to coach here. I don't understand the hate for him. He was great here. All of our big guys swear by him.
I think Kenny needs a year or two away from basketball after the Louisville debacle, honestly. Hard to see how that negativity wouldn’t carry over. I’ll tell you this, if he joins the staff at Arkansas, I’m even less worried about them than I was before.

If an assistant…

- has sucked ass at every stop yet the HC keeps dragging him from job to job
- is literally shouted down by the HC in view
/earshot of the crowd and tv cameras
- has to come out and tell the media that he and the HC are cool
- is either unable to implement new strategies for the HC to consider, or the HC is unwilling to consider them

Then the assistant is a yes man. Pretty simple.

KP is a good dude.

Be great in an off-court role. Player Development. Portal/NIl director. Has recent NBA experience which I think is important.

Not too mention that rolodex he has full of max contract players. Put the personal beef with Cal aside, we need those connections, and all those guys liked KP.

If all he did was call those guys and get them to give some money or time to NIL fundraising, he'd be one of the most important assistants/staff guys in the country.

KP is a good dude.

Be great in an off-court role. Player Development. Portal/NIl director. Has recent NBA experience which I think is important.

Not too mention that rolodex he has full of max contract players. Put the personal beef with Cal aside, we need those connections, and all those guys liked KP.

If all he did was call those guys and get them to give some money or time to NIL fundraising, he'd be one of the most important assistants/staff guys in the country.
I’d prefer to have a guy like Nazr Mohammed in the role of the NIL director but that’s just my personal opinion. He’s already working as GM for a G league team and he’s a pro scout too.

Reactions: YodaCan1
Kenny Payne had been in contact with Kentucky but doesn’t think it’s going to happen. Looks like it’s Arkansas or NBA for him.
good, he has just proven his non ability to coach or recruit at UL.
let him go to arkansas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT