ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones defending Tipton's question

I broke my rule and turned on KSR this morning. I wanted to get a run down on the UNC scandal. That was my excuse. But I continued listening and now wonder about Matt Jones more than ever. Matt Jones taking up for Jerry Tipton and his controversial questioning of Coach Cal. His tone and exuberance tells me he is in this for Matt Jones. He loves to stir the pot and now that UL and Pitino are no longer a target what now?

He will follow the money where ever that leads.

I didn't have a problem with the question but I don't care for Tipton. He is anti UK as any local sportwriter can be.
And for those of you surprised by Jones backing Tipton, you shouldn't be. Jones is media. His vocation, his money is is peddling UK to the fanbase. If he thought he could make more money being a Morehead St "fan", he would in a heartbeat.

It wasn't so much the question, but the delivery. Tipton is a d-bag, and scolded Cal like he was his father. Also, Tipton has a long history of asking inappropriate questions to recruits and players. Even if his question was technically acceptable, I will never credit him for anything. He's a POS.

It wasn't so much the question, but the delivery. Tipton is a d-bag, and scolded Cal like he was his father. Also, Tipton has a long history of asking inappropriate questions to recruits and players. Even if his question was technically acceptable, I will never credit him for anything. He's a POS.
This. No way I give Tipton praise (unlike Matt Jones). He was planted by the Lexington Herald to be a constant thorn in the side of UK basketball. He has been on this mission for decades and you can count the times he was fair to UK on one hand with three missing fingers. Tipton is mean spirited and his tone to Cal was unacceptable. I think Calipari will not forget this.

My impression was Tipton was trying to be Mike Wallace with some big aggressive question. Except anyone with any common sense knew the only answer Cal could respond on the matter was exactly what he said. So, it was more like notice me notice me notice me and I am a real reporter.

He is right. I don't like Tipton either but it was a legit question and really the question that all of us want to hear the answer to. More than that, we want to hear Cal say that UK is 100% in the clear and there is no way they will find anything on us.

Here is the problem for Cal. I think UK is cleaner than most but I think every major program has a few skeletons in their closet that could be uncovered.If Cal says we are without sin, it looks even worse if something does come out. On the other hand, if he remains mum or says anything but we are 100% clean it looks like he has something to hide. IOW, it was a loaded question.

Cal didn’t think the question was worthy of a response because there has been absolutely nothing to suggest we are part of this. I don’t understand why he needs to address that we are innocent. It should be assumed.

I broke my rule and turned on KSR this morning. I wanted to get a run down on the UNC scandal. That was my excuse. But I continued listening and now wonder about Matt Jones more than ever. Matt Jones taking up for Jerry Tipton and his controversial questioning of Coach Cal. His tone and exuberance tells me he is in this for Matt Jones. He loves to stir the pot and now that UL and Pitino are no longer a target what now?

He will follow the money where ever that leads.
Jones is as big a joke as Tipton. Don't listen to him or read Tipton. Birds of a feather.

Literally nothing wrong with that question at all. Sure, Tipton's an old, cranky ass but perfectly legit question

The school already addressed it in a statement that they have not been contacted by FBI. That should be enough for the media unless something else were to come to light which we all know will not. People are going to see Cal's response as deflection when it's really frustration.

Oh and "Media day" is not for the media to be bastards. It's a day for the media to ask basketball related questions not questions related to an investigation that has nothing to do with UK. Sure, if UK was being investigated then by all means, ask related questions. But the school has already addressed it and that should be enough. But Tipton, as usual, wants to be a dick. Sure, he has the right to ask the question and Cal has the right to ignore it.

Jones is as big a joke as Tipton. Don't listen to him or read Tipton. Birds of a feather.
Thank you Cawood86. I wish there were more UK fans like you. I cancelled my out of state subscription to the LHL because of Tipton. I never listen to Matt Jones but this morning I tuned in for UNC cheating news. Two minutes into the program he started defending and praising Jerry Tipton. I turned it off immediately and jumped in my swimming pool to cool down and wash away the filth.

Thank you Cawood86. I wish there were more UK fans like you. I cancelled my out of state subscription to the LHL because of Tipton. I never listen to Matt Jones but this morning I tuned in for UNC cheating news. Two minutes into the program he started defending and praising Jerry Tipton. I turned it off immediately and jumped in my swimming pool to cool down and wash away the filth.
Jones is all about himself and trying to reach a certain status. He's a pompous little kid who lucked into a situation and now acts as if he has some level of authority. His little minions are even worse than he is.

From what I read, the only way Nike is involved is that several of the coaches who have been charged were involved with the Nike EYBL league. I highly doubt the FBI is fishing into the other companies to see what they might find. They will follow leads, but they aren't in the business of finding NCAA violations, but actual federal laws being broke.

Jones is all about himself and trying to reach a certain status. He's a pompous little kid who lucked into a situation and now acts as if he has some level of authority. His little minions are even worse than he is.
[roll]

Big Blue Madness is tonight, not a damn thread about it on the board. Only think on the board is about North Carolina and damn Jerry Tipton!!!!!

Let's see, Tipton is a jerk who has an agenda and his approach on that question was further evidence. That we can all agree on. Aside from that, i think the general question was a valid one "has UK been contacted by the FBI?". It would address a question that most of us have wondered (even if we think UK is clean and even if we don't want to give UL et al satisfaction). It is natural to want to know the answer to this question.

I don't have a problem with questioning authorities whether it be political leaders or basketball coaches. They should be able to take honest questions about whatever. That said, the questions should be enough. The fact that Tipton was so disrespectful about it ("it's media day, not coaches day") was over the line. Wish Cal could have taken that fool outback for that.

Cal is generally really forthright about his views on most things. That said, it would be crazy for him to speak at length on this feces storm right now. In a federal investigation every word you utter publicly or otherwise will be used to paint you into a corner, make you contradict yourself, etc. until they have found the "truth". He was wise to keep it short. Even if there is nothing to hide why give them ammo they did not have and spend the rest of the season defending yourself. I think if we had done anything improper it would be known to the FBI and we would know by now.

I don't like Tipton, but I actually don't think it was a bad question either, but the delivery and the smart comment in the middle was poor.

It really could have been an opportunity for Cal to say everything is good.

Cal did not like the question, I will stand behind our coach not some anti Ky guy who was trying to stick it to coach Cal..

You are soooo right. Little minions is so fitting.

I would agree. I too cancelled HL subscription years ago because of Tipton and Merlene Davis. I used to listen to Jones because I love UK sports and I am an alumnus of the University, but have now turned him off and disconnected with anything having to do with him. Jones and his minions are pathetic and so immature. Being sued for their questionable behavior by John Higgins, which IMO is such bad optics for anyone associated with them. I don't like Higgins but that's not the question. They seem to revel in bad behavior and tried to make being a smart ass somehow redeemable. They're just losers and an embarrassment.

I will definitely agree that he is pompous. I have to disagree that he lucked into anything. He has worked his butt off to make KSR what it is today by starting with an idea for a website. I am certainly not a minion of his but I listen to his show and I go to his website daily because it is the easiest way to get information about the Cats. As much as you may not like it, he has insiders at both UK and UL. He is pretty often the first to break news on either one. He was the first to announce Trent Johnson at UL as an assistant. He is constantly breaking news to be on the lookout for a commitment with Quickley being the most recent. I respect him for taking a generic idea and building it into the largest "fan blog" around.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Cal didn’t think the question was worthy of a response because there has been absolutely nothing to suggest we are part of this. I don’t understand why he needs to address that we are innocent. It should be assumed.
Hate Tipton, but I think the question was in reference to the point that the fbi is now investigating Nike schools.

I will definitely agree that he is pompous. I have to disagree that he lucked into anything. He has worked his butt off to make KSR what it is today by starting with an idea for a website. I am certainly not a minion of his but I listen to his show and I go to his website daily because it is the easiest way to get information about the Cats. As much as you may not like it, he has insiders at both UK and UL. He is pretty often the first to break news on either one. He was the first to announce Trent Johnson at UL as an assistant. He is constantly breaking news to be on the lookout for a commitment with Quickley being the most recent. I respect him for taking a generic idea and building it into the largest "fan blog" around.
He may have connections now but he piggybacked guys who got scoops and info and posted on his sight often without crediting them for it.

It's sad that Matt hasn't become a more mainstream media guy. He could defend and promote UK on a much bigger stage like a Jay Bilas, Jay Williams, etc do for Duke. He burned too many bridges and has become a punchline among the national media for that to happen. He could provide benefits to his employees, but he has to worry about various lawsuits. I imagine he's going to become a more outrageous local media/radio host in the upcoming years desperate to keep ratings and an audience. Whatever happened to that awesome political website he was going to shake things up with?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT