ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Doherty

KentuckyCat420

All-SEC
Gold Member
Sep 16, 2006
Heard an interesting comment yesterday and thought I’d share.

Was at a work conference where former UNC head coach Matt Doherty was the guest speaker. He was asked if he were to coach again how he would try to navigate today’s game compared to the way it was in the early 2000s when he last coached.

First words out of his mouth were that he would ask the school what his NIL budget would be because without a good one you can’t compete. Very reasonable answer.

However, it was this little comment he threw in that woke me up, something to the extent of:

“John Calipari just left the Kentucky job because of his NIL budget. Their biggest booster, the Craft family, pulled his funds because he wouldn’t let them use one of his player’s to help Mrs. Craft run for governor, so they just pulled all his funds.”

I know it’s been mentioned here, but I was pretty taken back by how matter of fact he was about it. Can’t help but think that’s how it is being viewed through coaching circles, that the Craft’s just ran Cal out.

Seems to be some truth to it from all the info I've seen. Can't say for sure though. Appears it definitely played a part in the rift between Cal and the Crafts.

Reactions: stuway

Was at a work conference where former UNC head coach Matt Doherty was the guest speaker. He was asked if he were to coach again how he would try to navigate today’s game compared to the way it was in the early 2000s when he last coached.

First words out of his mouth were that he would ask the school what his NIL budget would be because without a good one you can’t compete. Very reasonable answer.

However, it was this little comment he threw in that woke me up, something to the extent of:

“John Calipari just left the Kentucky job because of his NIL budget. Their biggest booster, the Craft family, pulled his funds because he wouldn’t let them use one of his player’s to help Mrs. Craft run for governor, so they just pulled all his funds.”

I know it’s been mentioned here, but I was pretty taken back by how matter of fact he was about it. Can’t help but think that’s how it is being viewed through coaching circles, that the Craft’s just ran Cal out.
Sounds a little cheesy to me.

If true I side with Cal on that. No need to have kids endorsing political candidates just cause they give money to the program.
By some accounts, the Craft’s gave Oscar a shit ton of money and even let him live on their property. I also heard he was very close with the family.

If he was willing to do it, and if it was also discussed as part of the NIL funds that were being flowed to him, then I don’t see a problem. He was a grown ass man capable of making his own decisions.

I think it had more to do with Cal wanting complete control and not wanting anyone to have any kind of influence over one of his players.

Crazy how bullshit rumors find legs, across the country and into the mouths of guest speaking former coaches who have absolutely no knowledge of the actual situation. No offense to OP meant here for sharing this this story.
None taken at all, that was basically how I felt about it.

Like I said, I couldn’t really believe how matter of fact he was about it. Like, that’s how everyone viewed it or something.

I do think the Craft’s have way more pull than we realize, but also, I can’t recall a college player ever campaigning for a politician. That sounds odd.

But billionaires throwing around money for entertainment. Money we all appreciate by the way, and that is why they have so much power. It wasn’t coincidence the jet flying around to see Scott Drew and Hurley were registered to Joe Craft’s LLC.

I love the Crafts. Great KY fans and when Cal lost their support he was finished. Cal tried to force the left wing agenda. Coaches are like Preachers and teachers. You have to keep your political opinions to yourselves.

I know some think its bs, but I did hear cutler say that kelley wanted cals endorsement, having givin millions. I don't recall him mentioning oscar but I'd say either way the the crafts expected something in return for their investment and cal said no. Not saying its right or wrong, but the "liking" ky's gubner thing in his presser was a shot at the crafts imo

If true I side with Cal on that. No need to have kids endorsing political candidates just cause they give money to the program.
So they are supposed to give money to NIL with zero return? How is that NIL then? That’s pay to play. These athletes were given the right to make money off their name. That usually involves endorsements or work. Otherwise, it’s pay for play.

I’m just assuming Cal is doing what Cal does best, parrot the same worn out talking points to anyone or anything that’ll stand still long enough to listen. In this case, he’s probably telling ‘his side’ of the breakup, which seems to involve at least some political aspect. He’s traded “I can’t hide you” and “GOOOOOO!!!” for “the Craft’s are meanies that don’t love me”.

I kind of see both sides of it. The crafts shouldn't be using players for their campaigns, and they shouldn't pull funding simply because Cal blocked this.

But I'm also pretty sure this isn't the first incident between the two over the years and Cal should have probably just not cared and let Oscar do as he pleases. In the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal for either party.. should have let it go.

Reactions: thedahc
It seems overwhelming likely Cal left because he alienated ALL of UK‘s top donors and he had very little NIL funding for next year. He knew without serious NIL to go portaling he was a dead man walking. The Craft stuff at least in part seems true because of the weird uncalled for Beshear shout out he had at the Arkansas introductory press conference.

I know some think its bs, but I did hear cutler say that kelley wanted cals endorsement, having givin millions. I don't recall him mentioning oscar but I'd say either way the the crafts expected something in return for their investment and cal said no. Not saying its right or wrong, but the "liking" ky's gubner thing in his presser was a shot at the crafts imo
If true that puts Cal in a tough spot. You can like someone and be grateful for how they've helped your program, but it doesn't necessarily mean you want them to be Governor

The ends justify the means here in getting Cal out the door. However, I doubt this was the reason Cal bolted. It probably played a part. I can’t blame Cal for sticking up for Oscar here.

This country and state is extremely divided in politics and putting a UK player in the middle of that, especially a losing campaign like Craft’s would have caused issue regardless the side you fall on. Just look at the kneeling thing from 2020.

So they are supposed to give money to NIL with zero return? How is that NIL then? That’s pay to play. These athletes were given the right to make money off their name. That usually involves endorsements or work. Otherwise, it’s pay for play.
Sure they can get a return on their investment in regards to endorsing whatever businesses they have. Politics should be kept out of it.

It seems overwhelming likely Cal left because he alienated ALL of UK‘s top donors and he had very little NIL funding for next year. He knew without serious NIL to go portaling he was a dead man walking. The Craft stuff at least in part seems true because of the weird uncalled for Beshear shout out he had at the Arkansas introductory press conference.
I'd heard Cal backed the wrong Governor candidate and that led to NIL funding drying up. He didn't have to overtly support Craft, but you cannot overtly support her opposition.

I think its pretty much true.

Cal took less money to go to Arkansas, and I suspect its primarily because a big chunk of his work at UK was turning into raising money for the NIL.

thanks to that contract, it was the only bullet Barnhart and Co had left in their gun , and once Cal realized his recruiting pipeline was going to die and he'd be stuck coaching 4 stars and in state players, he reluctantly left when his negotiation ploy backfired.

In college basketball today, all you have to do is put a performance clause in the contract, and then choke off the NIL money whenever you want to get rid of a coach.

We'll see a time in the near future, if not already where the team NIL money (collectively) will be as much as 3X the coaches salary

Matt Doherty made a fatal mistake the moment he walked onto UNC's campus. He forgot that UNC keeps it in the family and he let go some long time behind the scenes people that worked for Dean Smith. He was fired and Roy Williams wins the national championship with the team Doherty recruited. He was fired and had only 1 less win that Calipari's 9-16 record.

By some accounts, the Craft’s gave Oscar a shit ton of money and even let him live on their property. I also heard he was very close with the family.

If he was willing to do it, and if it was also discussed as part of the NIL funds that were being flowed to him, then I don’t see a problem. He was a grown ass man capable of making his own decisions.

I think it had more to do with Cal wanting complete control and not wanting anyone to have any kind of influence over one of his players.
Let’s cut to the chase. Had she run as a Liberal Candidate, Cal would have given his blessing.

Last edited:
Is this what Cousins was alluding to when he was on a podcast saying it was politics? And stated it was actually politics, as they would not help with a governors race. I guess that’s the undertone they are pushing on the down low.

Something isn't adding up then.

1. Calipari had the overwhelming #1 class with Wagner, Bradshaw, Edwards, Dillingham, and Sheppard. How's he pull that in with no NIL support?
2. He also had a very solid class coming in for 2024/25. If NIL is required, and not available, then how is he pulling in these great classes?
3. Calipari's garbage coaching seasons started in 2020-21. Did the Crafts really pull support 2 full years prior to running for governor? Do they have a Delorean equipped with a flux capacitor?
4. Calipari left on his own. Nobody forced him out. He sat down next to Mitch Barnhart in front of TV cameras and said he was committed to coaching UK, a week later he put deuces up and ran out of town. Nobody forced him.

Something obviously soured the Crafts and Calipari. But Cal's coaching ineptitude was what led him to lose and then to leave... he had overwhelming talent on his rosters, he just refused to play coherent lineups or adjust his coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT