ADVERTISEMENT

Mashburn Jr. Commits

To be fair, his family is extremely wealthy. Might not be chasing the bag quite as hard as some others.
OK, but then why not just stay at New Mexico? It’s just as high profile, he had a locked in starting spot, and they had a great season this year.

Guess I just still haven’t adjusted to this new “transfer mania” that has taken over the sport. Seems like some now transfer just because they think that’s what you’re supposed to do … even if they already had a great situation.

Don't understand that transfer at all, makes little sense. NM might have a better shot at going farther post season than Temple
Not sure what he gained as I doubt they threw tons of NIL at him either.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
OK, but then why not just stay at New Mexico? It’s just as high profile, he had a locked in starting spot, and they had a great season this year.

Guess I just still haven’t adjusted to this new “transfer mania” that has taken over the sport. Seems like some now transfer just because they think that’s what you’re supposed to do … even if they already had a great situation.
Same as many of the freshmen Cal brought in who seemed to feel like they would be failures if they didn't move on after one year. Or maybe it was just Cal moving them on.

Dunno. Maybe he just felt Temple would be a cool opportunity.

When it's not about money, life becomes a lot more open. Maybe he hated the color or the uniforms? Maybe he didn't like the staff or playing time?

Who knows is what I'm trying to say. Transfers happen on a whim and the wings of a dream these days.

Maybe he didn't like the staff or playing time?
He had a locked in starting spot getting max playing time. And it’s the same coaching staff that he previously transferred from Minnesota to New Mexico for specifically so that he could keep playing for them. So those don’t make much sense either.

Who knows why, seems like players today hardly need any reason to transfer.

Last edited:
Would have loved to have seen him at UK. He could have been a bench guy and been able to name his career in Kentucky after his playing days.

I mean Philly is cooler to be in than anywhere in New Mexico, if you like a bigger City and The east coast. That’s about all I got lol.

That’s a little weird. Figured he could at least score a P5 gig.
IDK. P5 is not exactly killing it in CBB (P5 is sort of a CFB designator anyway).

Throwing out the COVID year, non P5 (Big East) has 5 of the last 10 Champions (3 UConn and 2 Nova). By comparison...ACC has 3 (UNC, Duke, UVA) and B12 has two (Baylor and KU). Other P5 conferences (SEC, B1G, PAC12) have scored bumpkiss in the NC banner hanging competition.

Given the power conferences' athletic dept resources and the increased CFB payouts, it could be argued that much of the P5 is sucking hind-tit in D1 CBB on a bang for buck basis.

Maybe Coach Pope can even the scales a little for UK, the SEC and P5.

GBB!

Reactions: Girthang

Personality conflict?

You may have missed the part where his dad was a top 5 all time legend for Kentucky.
Oh, I loved Jamal, and absolutely loved him, but people coming on here to announce players going elsewhere, and not talking about what WE'RE doing is my issue :)

Reactions: KentuckyMildCats

Anyone at Temple or in the area that can work with him to better develop? New Mexico doesn't seem to me to be a basketball mecca where someone could build their brand. Maybe he just wants to enjoy college more somewhere non-remote?

I had a little tickle hoping he would choose to be a role player for UK.

Me too. Man that would have been nice to see him wearing 24 next year. I still have my Mashburn 32 Mavs jersey my father got me for Christmas during his rookie season.

Mash was Pitino's first recruit. Could you imagine if we hired Richard Pitino Jr. and his first recruit was Mash Jr. ha ha.

He still could have been Pope's first recruit but it didn't happen. I guess Reed was a blessing enough for now.

Oh, I loved Jamal, and absolutely loved him, but people coming on here to announce players going elsewhere, and not talking about what WE'RE doing is my issue :)
There is basketball outside of Kentucky, and he is family

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT