ADVERTISEMENT

Was Musselman some ppls flavor of the week?

Lol. How much better are his recruits than vandy's? That's how it works right? Even if arky wins this game...lol

13th best class over all last year compared to vandy 13th best in the conference

How about the meltdown by Arkansas in regulation to blow that lead? Posters complained about Cal after our last game because we were horrible against the press in the final minutes. Arkansas was horrible as well. Yet, posters still want to bring in Muss??

My best friend’s son(I’ll call him Scott to protect his identity as he’s still in coaching🙂) was a grad assistant at Arky under Muss. He said Muss is a bonafide psycho and he enjoyed the hell out of all the crazy.

A story he had amused me. One day at practice as the players were stretching, Scott heard Muss getting peeved it was going on too long and he whipped around on Scott and asked what he thought. Scott had just read an article about stretching being overemphasized and he said as much. Muss blurted out ‘I agree’ and shouted ‘F_ck this. We’re not doing this anymore. Stretch if you want to in the locker room but no more on the court’. Scott said the trainers were and stayed pissed at him.

His Dad was a lunatic (see Ohio St - Minnesota fight). Apple didn't spew its juice far from the tree.

He would be a historically poor choice for UK. No way that little maniac lasts his first contract at KY before his head explodes or his players mutiny. He would end up living in witness protection. Coaching a small NAIA school in Idaho.

I still think they are going to give USC and possibly Auburn trouble. And honestly, we want to see that. Let Arkansas beat up that side of the bracket and make them earn it.

I would never and have never wanted Musselman here but let’s not act like the guy can’t coach. I absolutely do not want UL to get him, I feel he would turn them around rather quickly.

What happens when you recruit too many transfers. No mesh or unity. And lots of drama.

In the off season we had posters salivating over how Muss was bringing in so many transfers and complaining that Cal wasn't getting it done. Cal may not be getting it done but at least we aren't the mess that Arkansas is this season. Cal has also not had success with some portal players. It is a dangerous/rewarding game. Tennessee did it well with Knecht.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Lol. How much better are his recruits than vandy's? That's how it works right? Even if arky wins this game...lol

13th best class over all last year compared to vandy 13th best in the conference

You know we have knee jerk fans, like a coach has 1 great year, hore Muscleman, or gets hot in the NCAAT, hite Gillespie. You need to have st least 2 FF to be considered at UK jmo

Reactions: CatsFanIL
I'm always amused about these types of 'you were so wrong' posts. We certainly have a healthy population of perfect sports minds in BBN. Sadly, I'm not one of them. Muss is a fine coach. Maybe not UK material, but a fine coach. He's suffering from poor character transfers. That's all. We have a collectively weird obsession with making our own eat crow. Spoiler alert, nobody cares if you were right about some random thing 12 months ago. Nobody.

LOL, people still talking about Cal's replacement. HE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE !!! You really think after he put together the LaFamilia NIL deal, he is leaving ? Lot of wasted time what iffing.

I'm always amused about these types of 'you were so wrong' posts. We certainly have a healthy population of perfect sports minds in BBN. Sadly, I'm not one of them. Muss is a fine coach. Maybe not UK material, but a fine coach. He's suffering from poor character transfers. That's all. We have a collectively weird obsession with making our own eat crow. Spoiler alert, nobody cares if you were right about some random thing 12 months ago. Nobody.

You conveniently forget the insults hurled at those who didn't want Muss. I think they SHOULD be reminded of the fact that they not only wanted Muss but insulted those who didn't. Those who wanted Muss but were respectful shouldn't mind it being brought up again.

I don't mind admitting I was wrong on some of my takes. I said Duke would win the title before the season began. My post was brought up and I admitted I was wrong.

LOL, people still talking about Cal's replacement. HE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE !!! You really think after he put together the LaFamilia NIL deal, he is leaving ? Lot of wasted time what iffing.
How long do you think Cal will coach here? Genuinely curious.

You could also argue we have a collectively weird obsession making knee-jerk reactions (or criticisms) then doubling-down on them even when proven wrong. It's a message board, sometimes you need to eat crow, especially if you continuously spot off about a take again, and again, and again.

Musselman will be in his 60s by the time the UK job is open. I'm not saying he ain't the one (not my top choice at this moment though). But I do think he has the personality and charisma for the UK job - but he'll be older than most think, and not sure what the recent resume will look like

You could also argue we have a collectively weird obsession making knee-jerk reactions (or criticisms) then doubling-down on them even when proven wrong. It's a message board, sometimes you need to eat crow, especially if you continuously spot off about a take again, and again, and again.

Musselman will be in his 60s by the time the UK job is open. I'm not saying he ain't the one (not my top choice at this moment though). But I do think he has the personality and charisma for the UK job - but he'll be older than most think, and not sure what the recent resume will look like

That is where we disagree. Personally, I would rather have a Jay Wright kind of coach. I asked in another thread about what personality types have won titles and it does appear that more stoic coaches win in the end. As much as I dislike Roy, Dean, K, and Self, they all managed major programs and did it in a more subdued way than Muss.

One thing that people originally loved about Cal was his hyperbole and speaking his mind, etc. Now, it is a major source of irritation. BTW, that applies to marriage as well. Opposites attract and then they clash. It is the nature of life.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Please don't kill my optimism.

How long do you think Cal will coach here? Genuinely curious.
Don't know. I would guess 5 more years, depending on IF he gets another championship. But what I was referring to was people for months have been naming who they want, dream candidates that have no interest, coaches that couldn't hold Cals jock, to replace him like he was leaving at the end of the year. Some of them came up with some real doozies of possible replacements.
OK, now that I answered, shoe on the other foot, how long do YOU think he stays here ?

Please don't kill my optimism.
There has to be optimism for you to have optimism. There hasn't been ANY sign that neither Cal is leaving, or would be fired. I tried to tell people that all of these "what ifs" and with naming 50 different Cal's replacement was just wasting time. But yet they continued week in, thread out, naming guys who are NOT replacing Cal because he is not going anywhere.

So, here is to you *Mr. "I Know Who would be a great choice to replace Cal", crack open an ice cold Bud Light.

And set back and enjoy the ride....

* I loved those old Bud Light commercials back in the day. Was not targeting you, just replied to your post and aimed that little snarky comment to all of the guys wanting call gone. IF you are one, well, it was aimed at you to, just not singling you out.

There has to be optimism for you to have optimism. There hasn't been ANY sign that neither Cal is leaving, or would be fired. I tried to tell people that all of these "what ifs" and with naming 50 different Cal's replacement was just wasting time. But yet they continued week in, thread out, naming guys who are NOT replacing Cal because he is not going anywhere.

So, here is to you *Mr. "I Know Who would be a great choice to replace Cal", crack open an ice cold Bud Light.

* I loved those old Bud Light commercials back in the day. Was not targeting you, just replied to your post and aimed that little snarky comment to all of the guys wanting call gone. IF you are one, well, it was aimed at you to, just not singling you out.
I've never named a single person that I think will be his replacement or that I want as his replacement because I really don't care. And I do agree that it's pointless until he's actually gone (or a date has been set), but I still want him gone ASAP.

He is still a top tier coach but clearly hasn't found his way in the new landscape. Cbb is completely different now. Guys will either evolve or go extinct. Cal held out but now looks to be evolving. Will muss and others do the same? If not, they will be coaching in big sky conference pretty soon

I've never named a single person that I think will be his replacement or that I want as his replacement because I really don't care. And I do agree that it's pointless until he's actually gone (or a date has been set), but I still want him gone ASAP.
I said it is not to single you out, why so mad ? I said "for the posters naming replacements", if you did not name any, it wasn't directed at you. But,,, IF the shoe fits.

By the way, how about if you do not like "todays games" thread, why open it and post your negative, smart ass comments in them ? Do you have to be negative and an ass in EVERY thread ? We get it, you hate Cal and want him gone, but I do not understand why you have to go into the todays game thread and be a jerk. Maybe it is just you and it is all you know. NOBODY said or did anything for you to shit on the guys thread. No wonder people are constantly calling you out, you deserve it.

Don't know. I would guess 5 more years, depending on IF he gets another championship. But what I was referring to was people for months have been naming who they want, dream candidates that have no interest, coaches that couldn't hold Cals jock, to replace him like he was leaving at the end of the year. Some of them came up with some real doozies of possible replacements.
OK, now that I answered, shoe on the other foot, how long do YOU think he stays here ?
I would say less than two years, if our tournament runs are short. The heat is going to intensify.
If Cal gets us to a Final Four or better, I think that's a reset for most. And I would hope it's a reset for Cal. If that happens I could see him sticking around until he's in his 70s. But whatever happens he needs to mend fences with the fans.

The heat will be on from who ? Fans who dislike him or the results recently ? Because I can tell you, UK will NOT replace him anytime soon. Being ranked top 10, solid team, great wins this year, competitive, will not get him fired. Now, have the results lately been enough to please us fans ? Hell no, me included. Will the results get him fired ? No.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
That is where we disagree. Personally, I would rather have a Jay Wright kind of coach. I asked in another thread about what personality types have won titles and it does appear that more stoic coaches win in the end. As much as I dislike Roy, Dean, K, and Self, they all managed major programs and did it in a more subdued way than Muss.

One thing that people originally loved about Cal was his hyperbole and speaking his mind, etc. Now, it is a major source of irritation. BTW, that applies to marriage as well. Opposites attract and then they clash. It is the nature of life.
I respect your line of thinking, but you're forgetting something more important than who YOU want to have the job - it's who actually wants the job. Jay Wright spent practically his entire career coaching at a very small (although successful) college. Villanova was rarely ever in the spotlight. I'm sure the off-the-court obligations for the HC at Villanova are NO WHERE near what they are at Kentucky

So sure, you might prefer someone more stoic like Jay Wright, but that does NOT mean they want the Kentucky job. I think it'll be someone more energetic, more charismatic, more egotistical, more self-promoting than that.

And yes, I personally would love to have Jay Wright, or Brad Stevens. But no, I just don't think those are the personalities who are going to take the UK job now.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
The heat will be on from who ? Fans who dislike him or the results recently ? Because I can tell you, UK will NOT replace him anytime soon. Being ranked top 10, solid team, great wins this year, competitive, will not get him fired. Now, have the results lately been enough to please us fans ? Hell no, me included. Will the results get him fired ? No.
Link?

I would say less than two years, if our tournament runs are short. The heat is going to intensify.
If Cal gets us to a Final Four or better, I think that's a reset for most. And I would hope it's a reset for Cal. If that happens I could see him sticking around until he's in his 70s. But whatever happens he needs to mend fences with the fans.
This just isn't really realistic. The buyout is the buyout, that's not changing. The "heat" on internet message boards isn't going to overcome the buyout to replace a HOF coach, who as of this moment, has his team in a spot to make a run in March

Rupp Arena is packed. UK fans are flooding Nashville. UK fans will flood the arenas for the NCAAT. UK gear is still flying off the shelves. Cal is the best guy to boost NIL packages. He has the ties with former NBA players to bring in private funds for facilities.

If it's by his choice, he ABSOLUTELY has more than 2 years left. Even if tournament runs are short. Now, if it's failure to make the NCAA-T, that's a different story

Isn’t everyone reading and/or posting on this board wasting time?

At least his down year isn't horrendous like 9-16 or something like that.

This just isn't really realistic. The buyout is the buyout, that's not changing. The "heat" on internet message boards isn't going to overcome the buyout to replace a HOF coach, who as of this moment, has his team in a spot to make a run in March

Rupp Arena is packed. UK fans are flooding Nashville. UK fans will flood the arenas for the NCAAT. UK gear is still flying off the shelves. Cal is the best guy to boost NIL packages. He has the ties with former NBA players to bring in private funds for facilities.

If it's by his choice, he ABSOLUTELY has more than 2 years left. Even if tournament runs are short. Now, if it's failure to make the NCAA-T, that's a different story
A lot depends on March and if you two don't think so I don't know what to tell you. Troll elsewhere.

Careful, he will want a link to tell him common sense. Like Cal and UK give a rats ass what SOME crazy message board posters think of him. The HEAT will not be on him, not by anyone who makes important decisions anyway. Could you imagine what the NIL package would be if UK fired Cal ? ALL of his former players (the ones who will be donating the most $$$$) would leave the minute Cal is gone. They are Cal guys, not UK. Cal 1st anyway.

Isn’t everyone reading and/or posting on this board wasting time?
Depends on what you consider wasting time. Having intelligent discussions about basketball is not a waste of time for me, but it is spending it arguing with posters who can not have a civil and intelligent discussion. So no, it is not a waste of time, I have a lot of down time at work and discussing basketball is good to pass the time. Remember, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Her ya go :

Link : Because it will NOT happen.

Any normal person with a brain knows UK is not even considering firing Cal. And you think if UK gets beat in the first round this year, Cal will be fired ? Literally 2 weeks from him setting up the HUGE NIL deal that includes a lot of his former players ? You cannot remotely really believe that,,, Troll elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT