ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Bagley to Duke

So he announced for Duke and that he is re-classifying but he has not actually been cleared to play yet?
Just want to make sure I don't get all worked up over splinter yet?
I hate that rat, capel and that program.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
If it worked that way for athletes Kentucky, Kansas, Etc wouldn't have he players that they have had. A regular student with a 2.0 and 800 SAT isn't getting into Kentucky and Kansas etc. do you really want all schools to give athletes the same standards to get accepted as regular students?

Reclassifying to play JV water polo for moose ass junior college is (or should be) a lot easier than D1 basketball at a top tier academic institution

If it worked that way for athletes Kentucky, Kansas, Etc wouldn't have he players that they have had. A regular student with a 2.0 and 800 SAT isn't getting into Kentucky and Kansas etc. do you really want all schools to give athletes the same standards to get accepted as regular students?

Reality though is that UK and KU aren't nearly as tough to get into as Duke for the normal student.

Duke is legitimately an Ivy level institution, but they will admit Community College level students to play basketball.

Which is fine. They can do what they want. As long as they shut up about the quality of the Duke education.

How duke brainwashes anyone over 6'5" to come there is beyond me.

Bad news is Bagley is really good.

Good news is Bagley wont be playing D and wont improve at all, just like all of K's bigs over the years.

He will get cleared. But I figure Duval and Grayson will kill each other, and Carter and Bagley will have trouble both playing the 5 (which is where K will want to play them).

I would say Bagley sees himself in the Jabari Parker/Jayson Tatum role. And Carter does too. And so does Trent.

The only people who thought that were people who don't understand how the school system works, mostly basketball chat forum people and people who do no research and just take whatever they see or hear said by an uninformed person as gospel. Basketball in the same category as the Trump fans

lol wow

I'm not saying they are just saying fans don't really want the standards to be the same for athletes as they are for students.

Coaches and fans at almost every school talk about "quality of education" but pretty much every single one of those coaches could care less and that includes K and Cal. It's about how good you are and can I get you in my school to play. The education stuff is said for the family and the select few elite kids who care about academics.

Some fans try to act clueless about all that but when it comes down to it that's the truth

Reality though is that UK and KU aren't nearly as tough to get into as Duke for the normal student.

Duke is legitimately an Ivy level institution, but they will admit Community College level students to play basketball.

Which is fine. They can do what they want. As long as they shut up about the quality of the Duke education.

Except it's not. What is bogus about it if the courses you take transfer? There are athletes who's family is in the military who have transferred as many times. Do some research and you'll see it happens a lot
Not even close, but keep propping this up. K has fully surrendered to Cal. It ain't even a question anymore. It's all about trying to beat Cal and UK.

Sucks. We'll still be right in the thick of the hunt again though.

Really looking forward to this season and think we'll be ready for all comers by March.

I agree with this....This is a huge, huge blow for us to bring home the championship next year (Bagley is legit) but we also have arguably one of the most talented teams next year. I guess that why we play the games.

Reactions: wildcatwelder

First of all, Duke is a supposed Ive league in the south. Dont even try to compare that.

Duke lowered their standards for athletes. Period. They are no longer to be considered a golden ivy league basketball program. That died tonight.

The Duke institution is supposed to be about academics first. Kentucky didn't set that kind of standard for their athletes. Duke did

So save it. Duke is just another NCState, winning anyway possible, with an old coach who couldnt care lesd about anything other than his own legacy.

I could
See a scenario where we are about to play puke for the title and he announces his retirement in a Aw Shucks kind of way before the game to make sure things go his way.
I seriously want to punch him and capel in the throat over and over.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Duke will arguably have the best starting five but no backcourt depth which is usually pretty big especially in March. How is it people here complain about the Duke hype but this board is just as bad or worse than the media?

I thought anyone who thought Duke was top 5 before Bagley was nuts. They obviously are now, but they've got nothing on Arizona or mich st except the officials in their back pocket.

Last edited:
Top to bottom this Duke team is worse than last years on paper. The fact that 247 said this is by far the best recruiting class of any class EVER by a mile is laughable

Duval vs Jackson. Duval is better and he's an actual point guard
Jefferson vs Bagley. Bagley Obviously.
Carter vs Taytum. Totally different types of 4, but edge to Taytum
Kennard vs Trent. Kennard on offense. Trent on defense.

Duval vs Jackson. Duval is better and he's an actual point guard
Jefferson vs Bagley. Bagley Obviously.
Carter vs Taytum. Totally different types of 4, but edge to Taytum
Kennard vs Trent. Kennard on offense. Trent on defense.
Their depth last year was much better and I'm not even counting Giles.

Allen, Trent, Duval, Bagley. There isn't enough ball to go around. I'm not saying that because they're all good enough to demand it at all times it's because every one of them wants to be the guy. Building a team has more to do with personalities than pure talent. I feel the talent on UK and Duke are very similar but we have a guy like Quade that will lead us and set the tone on how everyone else will play.

Allen, Trent, Duval, Bagley. There isn't enough ball to go around. I'm not saying that because they're all good enough to demand it at all times it's because every one of them wants to be the guy. Building a team has more to do with personalities than pure talent. I feel the talent on UK and Duke are very similar but we have a guy like Quade that will lead us and set the tone on how everyone else will play.
They won't be any better than they were last season. You have a starting five of four freshman and a head case. Just waiting for the first Grayson Allen implosion.

Only Duke could have two players in the same class that went to a total of eight high schools, and they somehow are eligible.
I live in Florida, follow high school and AAU Basketball pretty close and have a friend that coaches a pretty good AAU team. I have never talked to one AAU coach that thought Duval could be eligible, NOT ONE!

What a damn lifeline they just got.

Kid can't stay in the same highschool and somehow he's Duke worthy? I'd love to hear Coach K and the media spin this. Duke can no longer be considered morally better than ANY other basketball program, when they take already suspect kids out of HS early.

Don't they live on the same road with the cheatingest college in ncaa history?

Yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
First of all, Duke is a supposed Ive league in the south. Dont even try to compare that.

Duke lowered their standards for athletes. Period. They are no longer to be considered a golden ivy league basketball program. That died tonight.

The Duke institution is supposed to be about academics first. Kentucky didn't set that kind of standard for their athletes. Duke did

So save it. Duke is just another NCState, winning anyway possible, with an old coach who couldnt care lesd about anything other than his own legacy.
Reality. Duke is no different than an FSU. UL or UNC, academic standards for athletes is non existent. It is the ACC Way

Died long before tonight. Been a joke for years.

Calling it now, Bagley doesn't foul out a single time all year. He gets two fouls in the first half only twice, against nobodies.

Ugh. Screw Duke.

Decision was made for him when he decided to reclassify. Duke is the only school he could have chosen where he would be deemed eligible to play next year. Smart decision by the kid who clearly wants to fast track to the NBA. Sucks, but it is what it is.

He won't be eligible so I am not getting worked up over this. A kid with a sketchy high school education that failed to go to any classes his sophomore year can all of sudden graduate in three years with not taking any summer courses this past summer? I think he is just going to practice with the Duke team for the year and then go pro, similiar to what Diallo almost did for us. We will get to hear all the what-ifs if he was declared eligible and Duke will play the victim card all year but that is how I see it. Kids with a better academic background than him have been declared ineligible by the NCAA. Bagley doesn't have enough high school credits to get in a local community college let alone Duke.

coach k now has a history of pushing kids to do what he wants. last year he rushed giles back from injury for nothing.

Unfortunately for Duke they're only experienced leader is a total nut case. Also the media obsession over Duke will take some pressure off UK and our young guys, may motivate them to be better

He won't be eligible so I am not getting worked up over this. A kid with a sketchy high school education that failed to go to any classes his sophomore year can all of sudden graduate in three years with not taking any summer courses this past summer? I think he is just going to practice with the Duke team for the year and then go pro, similiar to what Diallo almost did for us. We will get to hear all the what-ifs if he was declared eligible and Duke will play the victim card all year but that is how I see it. Kids with a better academic background than him have been declared ineligible by the NCAA. Bagley doesn't have enough high school credits to get in a local community college let alone Duke.

Duke has never and will never play the victim card. You have the wrong school.

This is DUKE we are discussing. They have no reason to play such a card lol.

I would agree, except that you're talking about Duke.
Worst case scenario for Duke is that he's not eligible until the second semester.

Sorry - late to the game with this comment so sorry if it's a repeat. I remember not so long ago a kid who was begged into reclassifying - only to be used in a way other than promised - and thrown to the curb in the end. Please see Derryck Thornton. Not at all saying it's an exactly same situation - but I am saying Duke has not necessarily done well rushing these kids and begging kids to fill in their gaps. Kid may be a beast - but I am saying D1 is not AAU and it will be a lot of pressure if he's expected to save the team... Now if he gets the NCAA Okafor treatment - he will be fine - but I don't expect this rushed push by Duke to necessarily pay off. It's a gamble for all - but Duke had a need - and this is all about Duke and saving the season for K, since his dream team bombed last year. This for sure aint about the kid.

I am very excited about UK's team this season and I am not going to roll over just because Duke pulled a kid out of high school early as a stop gap. Poor Bolden must really be bad for them to be this desperate. I love what UK has this season - so athletic AND talented... GO CATS.

I never talk absolutes with this stuff because who knows what will happen in the season - but when you have a literal crazy ass cancer on your team like Grayson Allen - and him as your senior leader... IDK... seems more can go wrong than right. He soooo wants validation and redemption for his cheating and unsportsmanlike character... just seems like he might implode - again. Capel has talked K into abandoning his principles (Don't get me wrong - K is the captain of the flop, the ref shaming, etc) in regards to recruiting and team building - and I personally think that is a huge contributor to why last years team was so dysfunctional.

Time is running out for K - he's getting desperate to extend this "legendary legacy".

Oh - and if UK tried this 11th hour crap... with a player of such sketchy academics... it would cause howling for years. Double Standard is typical with Duke.

Agree.

But, he will magically be eligible.

ADVERTISEMENT