ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Bagley to Duke

What a roster. Coach K is the greatest coach ever in any sport.

Cal is gonna have to sign 2 top 5 talents next year. We are losing to Duke in recruiting, and that needs to stop.

So this buries Bolden on the bench after he already tried to leave so that's going to be an attitude/chemistry issue all year.....then you have two guys in Bagley and Duval who are going to try and do everything to improve their individual stock. Finally, crazy Allen is your senior leader.....they have the most talent clearly but there are so many ways this team can go off the rails.

They had plenty enough talent playing by tourney time. They were a mess all year, and it wasn't just because of injuries.

Yea, all the excuses went out the window when everyone was healthy & Bilas foamed at the mouth after ACC tourney & proclaimed Duke was better than the 97 Bulls

I still don't get how you can do this this late. Guaranteed to be eligible by the end of the week.
The illusion that K or duke are about academics and doing things the right way was never true but it should be very clear now.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Unfortunately there is nothing suspect about him. Very good kid from a good family.

What a damn lifeline they just got.

Kid can't stay in the same highschool and somehow he's Duke worthy? I'd love to hear Coach K and the media spin this. Duke can no longer be considered morally better than ANY other basketball program, when they take already suspect kids out of HS early.

What a roster. Coach K is the greatest coach ever in any sport.

Cal is gonna have to sign 2 top 5 talents next year. We are losing to Duke in recruiting, and that needs to stop.

3fa.gif

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
he's one of the best overalls scorers in the class. Does it from all 3 levels efficiently. Knox is taller and rangier.
Really? How about this from draft express.

Weaknesses -Average athlete in terms of quickness and explosiveness -More of a shot-maker than a pure shooter. Very streaky, partially due to his poor shot-selection. Career 33.5% 3P% on over 450 attempts in DX database -Doesn't have much wiggle to his game. Wants to bulldoze his way through opponents. Relies heavily on his strength. Needs to add polish as a ball-handler. Ball slows him down. Wants to pull-up off the bounce at the first glimmer of daylight. -Reluctant passer. Never met a shot he didn't like. -Insistence on shooting long 2s, and below the rim style inside the paint makes him fairly inefficient scoring inside the arc -Inconsistent in his approach defensively. Doesn't always put enough pride in on this end of the floor. Doesn't have standout lateral quickness, so will get roasted at times off the bounce. Likes to gamble for steals - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gary-Trent-82914/ ©DraftExpress

Short arms, slow, poor handle, ball hog, likes to bulldoze through instead of craftiness, oh, and he isn't a good shooter - not to mention a west coast guy. Color me not impressed.

They had plenty enough talent playing by tourney time. They were a mess all year, and it wasn't just because of injuries.

What are the odds that 1. Allen's issues come back. 2. Coach K bails on the team again, but this time, a team that is healthy.. and 3. both happen?

A lot had to go wrong for Duke last year. You're talking 4 different incidents that 90% of teams didn't see ANY of. You take just one of the above out, or erase Tatum or Gile's injury, things might be totally different. Seemed like a perfect storm.

I'm not saying they win the title, but if anyone here thinks this team is going to derail like last years, they are sadly mistaken.

It's not hard. Many athletes do this but most aren't as good so fans never hear about it. Even when I played we had a player come in and reclassify a week before school started. It isn't much different from a regular student picking a college late.

Duke still has major issues though due to shooting, defense. A zone is going to be a big weakness

I still don't get how you can do this this late. Guaranteed to be eligible by the end of the week.
The illusion that K or duke are about academics and doing things the right way was never true but it should be very clear now.

Weaknesses -Average athlete in terms of quickness and explosiveness -More of a shot-maker than a pure shooter. Very streaky, partially due to his poor shot-selection. Career 33.5% 3P% on over 450 attempts in DX database -Doesn't have much wiggle to his game. Wants to bulldoze his way through opponents. Relies heavily on his strength. Needs to add polish as a ball-handler. Ball slows him down. Wants to pull-up off the bounce at the first glimmer of daylight. -Reluctant passer. Never met a shot he didn't like. -Insistence on shooting long 2s, and below the rim style inside the paint makes him fairly inefficient scoring inside the arc -Inconsistent in his approach defensively. Doesn't always put enough pride in on this end of the floor. Doesn't have standout lateral quickness, so will get roasted at times off the bounce. Likes to gamble for steals - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gary-Trent-82914/ ©DraftExpress

Short arms, slow, poor handle, ball hog, likes to bulldoze through instead of craftiness, oh, and he isn't a good shooter - not to mention a west coast guy. Color me not impressed.
Dude is overrated. Been saying it forever.

In fairness to the resident Duke troll.. it does seem their team has some shooting issues.. an issue Coach K rarely has. Who is making the big shot aside from Allen?

Biancardi, Meyer, Daniels, and Bossi all disagree with that long synopsis and agree with my general short take.

My point remains... Trent will be more than enough for the 3 in that lineup. Thank Christ they at least didn't land Knox.

Some fans say the bigs won't be a issue because Bagley will play the three, the problem with that is Bagley is not a three. Too many people see a big handle the ball sometimes and shoot/ make a occasion jumper that they can play the SF, that is far from the case though.

It's not hard. Many athletes do this but most aren't as good so fans never hear about it. Even when I played we had a player come in and reclassify a week before school started. It isn't much different from a regular student picking a college late.

Duke still has major issues though due to shooting, defense. A zone is going to be a big weakness
Please spare me. This is just bogus. He has changed schools 3 times in high school.
This is a joke.

Hope the kid never steps foot on the floor so ratface has to rely on Bolden. Wouldnt be surprised for him to be cleared academically before the sun comes up though.

Except it's not. What is bogus about it if the courses you take transfer? There are athletes who's family is in the military who have transferred as many times. Do some research and you'll see it happens a lot

Please spare me. This is just bogus. He has changed schools 3 times in high school.
This is a joke.

Reclassifying to play JV water polo for moose ass junior college is (or should be) a lot easier than D1 basketball at a top tier academic institution

I'm going to keep harping on this.... DeAndre Ayton is in this class. Bagley is not the only possible once in whatever guy in this class. That is one team Duke wants no part of in March. Kentucky will also be in the mix. Bagley makes Duke better, but they arent a guarantee to win it all.There are some good teams out there.

Duke had the #3, #12 & #20 picks in the '17 NBA Draft and couldn't make it out of the round of 32. Who's gonna replace Kennard's scoring? He single handedly bailed Duke out on several occasions last year. Who's gonna replace Jayson Tatum?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only people who thought that were people who don't understand how the school system works, mostly basketball chat forum people and people who do no research and just take whatever they see or hear said by an uninformed person as gospel. Basketball in the same category as the Trump fans

Wrong. People thought there was no chance this kid could be eligible for college in 2017-18. Now halfway through August everything's squared away?

Definition of suspect.

Top to bottom this Duke team is worse than last years on paper. The fact that 247 said this is by far the best recruiting class of any class EVER by a mile is laughable

Duke had the #3, #12 & #20 picks in the '17 NBA Draft and couldn't make it out of the Sweet 16. Who's gonna replace Kennard's scoring? He single handedly bailed Duke out on several occasions last year. Who's gonna replace Jayson Tatum?

Reactions: anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
I'm going to keep harping on this.... DeAndre Ayton is in this class. Bagley is not the only possible once in whatever guy in this class. That is one team Duke wants no part of in March. Kentucky will also be in the mix. Bagley makes Duke better, but they arent a guarantee to win it all.There are some good teams out there.
Glad I live vicariously through Arizona. That makes me feel so much better.

Reactions: Mr_GG
ADVERTISEMENT