ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Stoops winning despite significant deficiencies

We are on our path. You simply can't expect a world beating team out of the chute. I know people will point to UCF or Iowa St, but if it were that easy to make a home run hire, don't you think Florida would do it? They got lucky.

Instead we get to do it the hard way, over the course of multiple seasons. There's going to be growing pains. There's going to be games we lose that we should have won. There's going to be games we win by the skin of our teeth. There's going to be stupid mistakes like 4 turnovers or blown coverages. It sucks and it's frustrating but let's face it, there aren't an over abundance of 20 year olds that don't make some football mistakes (and the ones that don't go to Alabama).

So for now, we have to make do with guys who aren't top flight all the time. Over the course of seasons, we'll get better and better and suddenly these little snafus, both players and coaching, start to go away.

It's a long term thing. I wish we could have an immediate fix but if you're looking to build from the ground up and you don't get massively lucky by hiring baby Belicheck, this can take a while. I hate the mistakes as much as anyone here, but at the end of the day were 6-2 and that's a hell of a lot better than trotting out the Joker.

EDIT: USF, not UCF. I mean would anyone be psyched about Charlie Strong after Texas? No. They got lucky.

But most of those defencies are Stoops responsibility going into year 5 on the job is it not?

1. The DL decencies...we know this is the hardest spot to recruit at but if Stoops is still struggling to get better/develop DL...it's his fault. Guys like Elam, Kenegra, were highly recruited but have been largely busts at UK. That is mainly on Stoops and staff IMO. Let's hope Paschal, Chris Wright, Bohanna, Whitaker, McCall, etc.. are going to be better than current DL version at UK.
2. Same with OL...if Stenberg, Bunchy, Young (5* by the way), Drake (4* by the way), GAA (high 3*) are not good enough....it is on Stoops/Schlarman at this point.
3. Defensive secondary IMO are very talented by UK standards. Only Westry to me isn't really a stand out athlete. But the coaching is on Stoops/Clinksdale.
4. QB and Wr talent questions are the same thing. We just saw Drew Barker (4*) crap the bed. Dorian Baker (4*) has been an enigma the entire time.

I get what you are saying that Stoops is winning a bit despite defincies...but many of them are on him to clean up as of year 5.

Maybe this helps. 6/15 46 yards. That's what johnson was on the night.

Remember the last drive before our game winning drive? Where we tried to throw the ball? SJ struggled last night with accuracy. While we gashed them for for nearly 300 yards on the ground.

That was our best chance to get a score last night. (We did have timeouts left if we got a first down or what to set up a fg)
If I remember right, SJ had less passing yards in a game last year. Kind of amazing. Can you imagine another SEC team with 46 yards passing?

I'm grateful for the wins, but some of the mistakes and lack of attention to details is still what bothers me. UK has weapons other than Snell and Johnson...Conrad, Bowden, even King. But we fail to get the ball to them in space. I realize UK wants to be balanced, but we also aren't utilizing our personnel to their best IMO.

But most of those defencies are Stoops responsibility going into year 5 on the job is it not?

1. The DL decencies...we know this is the hardest spot to recruit at but if Stoops is still struggling to get better/develop DL...it's his fault. Guys like Elam, Kenegra, were highly recruited but have been largely busts at UK. That is mainly on Stoops and staff IMO. Let's hope Paschal, Chris Wright, Bohanna, Whitaker, McCall, etc.. are going to be better than current DL version at UK.
2. Same with OL...if Stenberg, Bunchy, Young (5* by the way), Drake (4* by the way), GAA (high 3*) are not good enough....it is on Stoops/Schlarman at this point.
3. Defensive secondary IMO are very talented by UK standards. Only Westry to me isn't really a stand out athlete. But the coaching is on Stoops/Clinksdale.
4. QB and Wr talent questions are the same thing. We just saw Drew Barker (4*) crap the bed. Dorian Baker (4*) has been an enigma the entire time.

I get what you are saying that Stoops is winning a bit despite defincies...but many of them are on him to clean up as of year 5.
We're always going to have deficiencies with 3*+ talent up against 4*- to 4*+ talent. Stoops has improved the team immensely but still has a talent gap with the top teams. May still slowly reduce that gap, but likely for me it will always be there, Stoops or no Stoops.

Reactions: jauk11
Maybe this helps. 6/15 46 yards. That's what johnson was on the night.

Remember the last drive before our game winning drive? Where we tried to throw the ball? SJ struggled last night with accuracy. While we gashed them for for nearly 300 yards on the ground.

That was our best chance to get a score last night. (We did have timeouts left if we got a first down or what to set up a fg)

I don't have a problem with Stoops like many fans and tend to not get upset about the end of half issues he's had, but I hated the play calling at the end of the half vs UT.

You run the ball twice and let the clock tick away, but then for some reason on 3rd down you take a shot deep stopping the clock and allowing Tennessee the opportunity to touch the ball one more time before the half? If you've already ran twice and let the clock drain, then run the ball again and just go to the locker room. If you want to take a shot, do it early in the downs so that if you don't connect you can run the clock to 0:00 on 2nd and 3rd down. I'm sure Stoops and Gran had a reason they chose to do this, but I just didn't like that play calling one bit.

Glad we got that dub, though. Second in my lifetime over UT.

If you take the shot on first or second down, this saving the forty seconds, then they take a timeout after a run play. and we are kicking the ball away with close to 45-50'seconds to go. Time for them to run 5-8 plays. With two timeouts. The way we got good yardage on first down prevented jones from stopping clock. He couldn't use a timeout to preserve time and us on second and shortish yards (4). You take the shot on first down and set up second and ten and a short yard pickup on second he calls timeout with close to a minute left in third and long. Then another timeout after that play of you run and he gets ball back with 50 or so seconds left.

If you take the shot after that first down play you stopped clock with 50ish seconds. Run a play, they call timeout lthey get ball at 40 seconds or so. The gain on first down prevented jones from using the timeouts. As there was a better chance of us gashing a big run play, or getting a first, then starting the two minute drill close to midfield with two timeouts and thirty -40 seconds left and needing only about 15 more to get Austin in range. With our two timeouts.

We took a shot (I'm sure he was told to throw the thing deep with twenty seconds left). On third. A couple things happen. You complete it your in fg range, they get a DPI and your past midfield with still time and two timeouts to run 2-3 plays. (15 seconds two timeouts) And need 10-12 yards try to a fg. (Ball would of been on the good side of midfield at 47), you don't complete you are punting with very few seconds left and thus being able to pin them deep they can't score unless on a Hail marry (what happened) , ,they intercept that and it works just like a punt and they have little to no time to score (works same way as a punt) You could get sacked, but clock runs and you take halftime or they take TO and make you punt which ends in same result. Outside of a fumble and a sack. (Hope a sr qb can avoid that) All of those scenarios minus a sack fumble are not going to hurt us throwing deep on third down. Running the ball they call a timeout and you still have to punt if you don't get five for a first, and that's where Benny and king fumbled.

A bad thirty yard punt still starts then inside their thirty with 10 seconds left.

Last edited:
This has been good discussion. You can (like many have) make a lot of arguments about the staff, the players, etc. It just depends on a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" view.

However - I cannot for the life of me get why people think we are "losing" a lot of key people after this season. Besides SJ (who just threw for 47 yards BTW) - what seniors of impact are leaving the offense? No offense to these guys, but if the program cannot replace players of Haynes and Meadows talent on the Oline, we are in trouble.

Defense, we are even in better shape - we start ONE senior - Love! Many on this board have been calling for him to be benched anyway.

When you get a recruit - you know he can only play 4 years. Each class should have impact players - meaning that once they are gone, you can expect a drop (for at least a season) at their position. Toth is a great example of this. Your hope is that the talent around them can make up for their loss, or your recruiting gets to the point that you just reload.

This team is an a GREAT position to move forward in 2018, simply because there is little to replace.
IF Hoak or JWill are serviceable at QB - WOW!!!! We RS'ed a lot of talented guys and there should be great competition at many positions and good depth across the board.

This has been good discussion. You can (like many have) make a lot of arguments about the staff, the players, etc. It just depends on a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" view.

However - I cannot for the life of me get why people think we are "losing" a lot of key people after this season. Besides SJ (who just threw for 47 yards BTW) - what seniors of impact are leaving the offense? No offense to these guys, but if the program cannot replace players of Haynes and Meadows talent on the Oline, we are in trouble.

Defense, we are even in better shape - we start ONE senior - Love! Many on this board have been calling for him to be benched anyway.

When you get a recruit - you know he can only play 4 years. Each class should have impact players - meaning that once they are gone, you can expect a drop (for at least a season) at their position. Toth is a great example of this. Your hope is that the talent around them can make up for their loss, or your recruiting gets to the point that you just reload.

This team is an a GREAT position to move forward in 2018, simply because there is little to replace.
IF Hoak or JWill are serviceable at QB - WOW!!!! We RS'ed a lot of talented guys and there should be great competition at many positions and good depth across the board.
We have several jrs on d that I won't be surprised if they take the leap.

Exactly. It's possible Allen jumps. But presumably we get Baker back.

We could be a better team in '18 with a worse record given we go to FL & TN & Uga & MSU coming here - as of today, we likely still don't beat either of those. At A&M won't be a prize either.

Reactions: Mojocat
I really don't see the replacement issue as that big. Harping on it gets old.

Losing 5-6 starters of 22 is still fewer than average for most schools. I'd typically expect 8-10 starters to be in their last year, SR's or early leavers. And we gain two starters back: our Baker & USC's Price.

Sans Allen - who could take the leap? I get what you are saying, but again, which of those guys are impactful? Ware, Maybe? Baity, Edwards - not really. If Boom couldn't really get a sniff, so you think any of the above besides Josh Allen have a prayer?
Hopefully - they improve for sr. year and most of them make a roster spot. You still have to be pretty special to leave before your eligibility is up and make a team

Sans Allen - who could take the leap? I get what you are saying, but again, which of those guys are impactful? Ware, Maybe? Baity, Edwards - not really. If Boom couldn't really get a sniff, so you think any of the above besides Josh Allen have a prayer?
Hopefully - they improve for sr. year and most of them make a roster spot. You still have to be pretty special to leave before your eligibility is up and make a team
Not a one will be evaluated as highly as they think they will, and that is a part of why the defense has not lived up to expectations this year. There will be some who throw their hat in the ring, and have similar results as Heard and Boom.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Ware, Baity, Edwards, Allen, Jones and Conrad...maybe a couple more

CMS is going to get a nice fat extension. He deserves it. However I would agree with the poster who pointed out the opponents over the last 15 games.

It's also import to realize how important/special Boom was, Benny is, and SJ is. I'm afraid our record over the last 2 years would be drastically different without those 3. Those three have not won because a lot of things going well but in spite of many things.

Though it is time to celebrate and appreciate where UK football is and appears to be going, it is also important to understand that there are some severe deficiencies that are hurting the program from further progress.

Folks, we don't have any offense nor an identity outside of Boom, Benny, and SJ over the last 15 games. Outside of Benny and SJ there is no legit consistent play making or any kind of note worthy threat.

The offensive game planning and play calling is also suspect at best. One play last night summed it up perfectly for me. The Drew Barker roll out and fumble. Jesus christ, what was that? Terrible execution obviously on DB's part, but that play should never have been called. Maybe worst play call of Eddie Gran's tenure here thus far, and that is saying something.

Guys we all know the OL and DL short comings. Still a long ways to go. Don't let a good showing vs a terrible UT team fool you. Even though our D had some big plays they still somehow managed to make a terrible UT offense look competitive.

I think having Rich Brooks and company in for this weekend provided a great opportunity for some reflection. CRB took a bunch of 2-3 star guys and won 3 consecutive bowls with them, a handful of those low rated recruits are still in the league. CMS and company have stocked the cupboards with the best talent this program has ever seen, yet we don't have a lot to show for it, and if it weren't for 3 guys mainly CMS would be on a very hot seat with all that "talent". That means one thing, the recruiting is there, but the developing, coaching, game planning, and execution is not.
I get your point, but what would a lot of teams be if they didn't have X player, O Player etc. Next season someone has to step in and replace them like was done with Boom and Badet this season

If he didn't have the same issues constantly occurring in year 5 that have been there since year 1, I think more people would believe in him and overlook some of our problem areas. I am happy to come away with the win after trying to do just about everything we could to lose it. I am aggravated that we have to make every game against equal or lesser opponents an adventure though.

Regardless of our record, I still don't think he can consistently take us any further than he likely will this year (probably 8 wins not counting the bowl). Sure that is better than we have been doing over like the last 30 years, but the weakness of the schedule has never been and likely will never be any easier. How will he do once Florida and Tennessee get back to where they usually are? Georgia is already at that level. Will the rest of the SEC East improve as well? Is UL going to keep regressing or build themselves back up? Will we get to keep playing 3 nearly guaranteed wins every year out of conference?

Next year will likely be a step back for us when you factor in the player losses we will have. There won't be a QB with much game experience on the roster and we will lose about 11 players (I believe that is the number) off of our 2 deep to go with our very good kicker. So how will everyone feel if we don't make a bowl next year? The natives will start to get even more restless and continue second guessing Stoops as head coach.

I think Mitch caused a lot of the issues by constantly giving Stoops contract extensions with only minimal improvement. So even if Stoops declines the next 2 years I doubt we would get rid of him with I believe 3 more years on his contract still remaining after that. We are pretty much stuck with Stoops for good or bad for probably at least 3 more years regardless of the play on the field. So we better all hope we continue to improve and Stoops turns out to be the right man for the job or we will have another head coach that was kept around to long and be back to square one once again.
What if the unthinkable happens and UK doesn't regress, they keep improving, the players returning and redshirting and coming in new get better and...

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
What if the unthinkable happens and UK doesn't regress, they keep improving, the players returning and redshirting and coming in new get better and...

How often in our history have you seen us lose a number of significant players and actually be better the next year? We declined after Couch and Yeast left. We declined after Woodson, Burton, Johnson, Little, Tamme, etc. all left.

The biggest issue is at QB. We have no one with much experience with in game action that can improve on what Johnson has done. We also don't have the best OL to help with the learning curve for a freshman like some other schools do. It's one thing to do on the job training behind a line like Alabama has. It's totally different doing it behind our line.

How often in our history have you seen us lose a number of significant players and actually be better the next year? We declined after Couch and Yeast left. We declined after Woodson, Burton, Johnson, Little, Tamme, etc. all left.

The biggest issue is at QB. We have no one with much experience with in game action that can improve on what Johnson has done. We also don't have the best OL to help with the learning curve for a freshman like some other schools do. It's one thing to do on the job training behind a line like Alabama has. It's totally different doing it behind our line.
Oh it is definetly a concern, and it may be that the team takes a step back for a year. Saying that, you don't throw out the baby with the bath water. After all Cal went to an NIT

Oh it is definetly a concern, and it may be that the team takes a step back for a year. Saying that, you don't throw out the baby with the bath water. After all Cal went to an NIT

That is an apples to oranges comparison.
Cal is a proven commodity and Stoops isn't yet. At least not until he strings together a handful of successful years in a row and takes us to more than a mid tier bowl. Cal isn't in his first head coaching job and when he was he still took his team to the equivalent of the college football playoffs. Stoops has a ways to go just to match Cal at UMass.

If I remember right, SJ had less passing yards in a game last year. Kind of amazing. Can you imagine another SEC team with 46 yards passing?

And I think we won that one, too.

If all that happens, some folks will be converted, but many will simply "go away," as they were never really "here" in the first place.

And I think we won that one, too.

If all that happens, some folks will be converted, but many will simply "go away," as they were never really "here" in the first place.
Both games embarrassingly won despite QB play.

That is an apples to oranges comparison.
Cal is a proven commodity and Stoops isn't yet. At least not until he strings together a handful of successful years in a row and takes us to more than a mid tier bowl. Cal isn't in his first head coaching job and when he was he still took his team to the equivalent of the college football playoffs. Stoops has a ways to go just to match Cal at UMass.
Fair...But Kirby Smart is in his first gig, Sweeny is in his first gig, can't use that as an excuse

Seriously?

(1) DL is the hardest position to recruit. No “buts” about it. Like most coaches, UK has missed on some kids at that position. UK has also found players and developed players, both juco and HS, at the position. The staff identified Carter, Bohanna and Looney as talent and, for Bohanna and Looney, had to ward off late pushes by other programs to land them. Jucos that were not highly regarded have been developed, some after RS years. Your selective choices don’t even begin to tell the story.

(2) One year removed from developing one of the best land attacks in the country after our QB goes down and we have already forgotten? And, yes, Logan and Bunchy and Mosier and others have developed and are developing. We saw a very good performance from our middle three this past week, including the development of a RS frosh center who looks like he is the future at the position.

(3) Baity, Edwards, West, McClain, Randolph - let’s not unfairly generalize. And, the recruitment to that position has gotten better over the past few years.

(4). Baker an enigma? Barker crap the bed? You take an incredibly myopic view. That makes your position not credible.

Reactions: jauk11

I would want to be a successful coach myself before posting this. However, I don't believe any coach, above middle school level, would shotgun the blame so carelessly.

I don't wish to call for the firing of Stoops but I think this little section of success the past 15 games is totally related to schedule and we haven't improved any . None . We gained a W last night by the skin of our teeth against Tn , but its fact they are at a depth rarely seen in that programs history . We came razor close to finally beating UF , but again , that program is at the very bottom , and we can't expect them to stay there long . Its a complex question with any facets but have we really improved ? Did we look improved last night ? Have we improved from game 1 to game 8 ? I'm not seeing it , I'll root my heart out but if you take emotion away I don't see a team any better than the previous 5 years . We just happen not to playing hardly any good teams at all. The W's are related to the weakness of those around us , not our growing strength . Thats my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong.

Uh, a little overboard, don't you think? Not better than the 2-10 team his first year, and actually, five years back would include Joker's 2-10 team also.

You brought up those other teams playing weak schedules and I even mentioned most everyone has a game that they struggle in against weaker competition, but I also said did they struggle to win against basically every team they played? You replied with 1 bad game just like I had already stated.

Are there many more games like those for each team? If not then it isn't an apples to apples comparison. I'm just curious if anyone else that has a similar record from a power conference and has a hard time beating everyone on their schedule? I didn't bring up the other teams. You did. So is there a better comparison out there?

A lot of teams struggle against teams weaker than them.

And lose those games.

I get angry during games (especially this last UT game), but upon reflection Stoops is doing an outstanding job. The SEC chews up and spits out first-time HCs like they are sunflower seeds, especially at a place like UK. Stoops has weathered the storm of the first couple of years, balanced the roster, implemented a plan for recruiting, and brought in more depth than I ever recall at UK. I think Gran, Hinshaw and Hood have been terrific hires that will benefit UK moving forward - and to that end (and to his credit), I think Stoops recognized that he needed some "maturity" on his staff. If you listen and watch his shows, he admits to making mistakes, which is a huge difference from some past coaches. I think he is trying to become a better HC and is not firmly entrenched in his ways, but change happens slow in football programs. I liken it to turning an aircraft carrier around - it doesn't happen quickly.

I'm not faulting anyone who questions some of his in-game decisions and management, but I think we would be making a huge mistake running him off. Warts and all, he is ours and he is improving this program, just maybe not at the speed that some want. Many of the SEC programs are going to continue to rip themselves apart every couple of years as long as Saban stays in Alabama. Keeping stability and steady growth will serve UK well over the next several years.

I don't have a problem with Stoops like many fans and tend to not get upset about the end of half issues he's had, but I hated the play calling at the end of the half vs UT.

You run the ball twice and let the clock tick away, but then for some reason on 3rd down you take a shot deep stopping the clock and allowing Tennessee the opportunity to touch the ball one more time before the half? If you've already ran twice and let the clock drain, then run the ball again and just go to the locker room. If you want to take a shot, do it early in the downs so that if you don't connect you can run the clock to 0:00 on 2nd and 3rd down. I'm sure Stoops and Gran had a reason they chose to do this, but I just didn't like that play calling one bit.

Glad we got that dub, though. Second in my lifetime over UT.

The end of the first half bugged me too, but I do understand the strategy of running twice and then taking a shot. Heck, that is the sort of aggressive end of the half game play that some fans have been clamoring for. Hit that pass and you have time to get a FG or take another strike. I think we should be able to understand the logic, even if we disageee.

Benching or sitting Love is lunacy. If you are in that camp, PLEASE identify yourself now. I sat next to a football savvy friend who does not follow UK much. Love was one of our players he quickly picked out. Said the guy played like a man. I believe Love has developed and is playing close to his potential. There is a reason he does not come out of the game. It would be nice to know who here looks forward to him leaving or wants him off the field. That would speak volumes.

Benching or sitting Love is lunacy. If you are in that camp, PLEASE identify yourself now. I sat next to a football savvy friend who does not follow UK much. Love was one of our players he quickly picked out. Said the guy played like a man. I believe Love has developed and is playing close to his potential. There is a reason he does not come out of the game. It would be nice to know who here looks forward to him leaving or wants him off the field. That would speak volumes.
Watch that video on Twitter of the UK sidelines during the UT game. Love is a (the?) leader of this team. His story is amazing. Also, watch Eddie Gran when S. Johnson scored the winning TD - he is close to tears.

But yet, for the most part I like our end of game result

That was a very poised drive with excellent calls and execution. The 2 pt conversion perfectly executed and scored despite UT defending it well. It was set up by two goal line wildcat formations where Snell punched it in. That was good stuff that started early in the game.

Love your post, so much to look forward to. The big thing IMO is so many new talented players waiting to step up, a lot of them redshirts that would have been forced to play this year in prior years.

Fun to speculate on how good Bohanna will be next year.

Well-----at least you are consistent.

We're always going to have deficiencies with 3*+ talent up against 4*- to 4*+ talent. Stoops has improved the team immensely but still has a talent gap with the top teams. May still slowly reduce that gap, but likely for me it will always be there, Stoops or no Stoops.
So what you're saying is, even though recruiting is better, it's still not good enough. Right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT