ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Stoops winning despite significant deficiencies

You know, I'm thinking that the level of our competition last night had much more to do with our effectiveness, than the line getting its act together. Let's see how we move the ball against Ole Miss and UGA. Those are true SEC defensive fronts, and they should test your premise really well. Vandy and University 6 not so much, as neither is a solid SEC style unit.

We're going to have to be able to run the ball against the big boys if we ever want to move up the SEC ladder using the CMS system of recruiting elite talent, and beating the best at their own game. I don't see that happening, but it will get us to a mid-level bowl year in and year out.
Yes, Ole Miss, ranked 126/129 in rushing defense, has a true SEC defensive front.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24/p3

For some reason I can't take seriously your ideas to improve the offense.

Reactions: JC CATS
The schedule is what it is. I have been critical of this coaching staff and I expect to continue to do so
....because hey, that's what some fans do...
BUT...
UK had mid level OVC talent when Stoops got here.
As most schools, we had at least one bust class where the kids changed their mind, didn't develop, whatever.
Mark Stoops had never been in the big chair.....and boy howdy it showed. Still does.
You can draw up the most unstoppable play in the world
...someone has to execute.

What I see with coach Stoops is a bunch of kids that might not be full SEC caliber, but when they bring their game they got a lotta heart.

I kinda like that.

Reactions: sambowieshin
You know, I'm thinking that the level of our competition last night had much more to do with our effectiveness, than the line getting its act together. Let's see how we move the ball against Ole Miss and UGA. Those are true SEC defensive fronts, and they should test your premise really well. Vandy and University 6 not so much, as neither is a solid SEC style unit.

We're going to have to be able to run the ball against the big boys if we ever want to move up the SEC ladder using the CMS system of recruiting elite talent, and beating the best at their own game. I don't see that happening, but it will get us to a mid-level bowl year in and year out.

Now you went to far including UGA in that mix as a litmus test. We aren’t there yet based on my watching UGA defense the last few games. I’m saying that our loss of Toth coupled with the other losses on the OLine and Stallings not working out a center caused problems but Jackson is settling in and the fact they didn’t rotate the interior is a big sign of improvement. My response was to a poster that said he hasn’t seen any improvement since Game 1. I believe that was an irrational and untrue observation...

Reactions: JC CATS and RV2
They don’t put an asterisk next to wins that are struggles. And by the way, Stanford barely beat a 1-6 team this week. Miami barely beat a 1-6 team this week. UK is 6-2. That is the bottomline.

You brought up those other teams playing weak schedules and I even mentioned most everyone has a game that they struggle in against weaker competition, but I also said did they struggle to win against basically every team they played? You replied with 1 bad game just like I had already stated.

Are there many more games like those for each team? If not then it isn't an apples to apples comparison. I'm just curious if anyone else that has a similar record from a power conference and has a hard time beating everyone on their schedule? I didn't bring up the other teams. You did. So is there a better comparison out there?

They don’t put an asterisk next to wins that are struggles. And by the way, Stanford barely beat a 1-6 team this week. Miami barely beat a 1-6 team this week. UK is 6-2. That is the bottomline.

.......TCU lost to Iowa State, so they got an L, since they couldn't have an asterisk.........now they will just barely miss the playoff, and that IS a bottom line.

You brought up those other teams playing weak schedules and I even mentioned most everyone has a game that they struggle in against weaker competition, but I also said did they struggle to win against basically every team they played? You replied with 1 bad game just like I had already stated.

Are there many more games like those for each team? If not then it isn't an apples to apples comparison. I'm just curious if anyone else that has a similar record from a power conference and has a hard time beating everyone on their schedule? I didn't bring up the other teams. You did. So is there a better comparison out there?
The comparison is in the record. And that those teams haven’t beaten top teams. Style points don’t count no matter how much you want them to.

CMS is going to get a nice fat extension. He deserves it. However I would agree with the poster who pointed out the opponents over the last 15 games.
I doubt he gets an extension this offseason. With one more win will get another year added to his deal at ~$5 million as part of the performance incentives in his latest deal, and it is 75% guaranteed. This deal was just redone this past spring.

Now you went to far including UGA in that mix as a litmus test. We aren’t there yet based on my watching UGA defense the last few games. I’m saying that our loss of Toth coupled with the other losses on the OLine and Stallings not working out a center caused problems but Jackson is settling in and the fact they didn’t rotate the interior is a big sign of improvement. My response was to a poster that said he hasn’t seen any improvement since Game 1. I believe that was an irrational and untrue observation...

I think you are correct in the improvement. I just don't think last night is in any way a measure of how far that improvment has come so far, and thus no worth mentionnig at this point in time. UT is a shell of a defense right now, so our great run game is not likely repeatable against a good to great defense.

Ole Miss and UGA are on our schedule, so that's why I listed them....and yes, UGA is very tough, and I know that....but, they are no less on our schedule, so we have to play them. It IS year 5, so we should be able to compete with them, IF we have an offensive scheme that maximizes our talent. Which I would say emphatically we do NOT.....We are going to try to run the ball right at UGA and we are going to fail IMHO. Last night we ran the ball against a weak defense.

Ole Miss has a 3-5 record, so we should beat them, right? Well, if you look at their record in detail, you'll see they have played much better competition than we have. They just lost to Arky, so that one is the first bad loss this season. We'll see if they bounce back. I look for this game to be a battle. Hopefully our o-line is improved as you say, and we can win the game. It will not be easy IMO.

Reactions: Johnblue2
With four games left in the regular season, Kentucky is 6-2. They're 6-2 for a lot of reasons. The most obvious might be schedule strength.

Schedule strength is important for every team in America, and UK is no exception. Certainly, Kentucky's schedule isn't as difficult as we're used to seeing. Of Kentucky's six victories, only two have come against teams that currently have a winning record (South Carolina and Southern Mississippi, both of which occurred away from Lexington). Still, the fact that Stoops is winning isn't something to take for granted when you consider...

*Kentucky's inability to control the line of scrimmage. On defense, UK's d-line just isn't very good (and we knew that was gonna be the case back in April). They're routinely pushed around between the tackles. I guess you can blame Stoops for not having better lineman, but he's getting stops despite not being able to dominate up front defensively.

*The same can be said for UK's offensive line. I think interior play has been better than what we've gotten at tackle (despite the snap issues before Jackson took over at center). UK's edge guys have struggled all season. As we saw last night, even when you move the football on most of your possessions (like UT did), tackles for loss kill drives. That's what's happened to UK far too often this season. It's tough to produce a consistent offense with a deficient o-line.

*The UK running game has been awful (until last night). Some of that can be attributed to the losses of Toth and Mosier (also, Haynes isn't what he was last season...dude gets SO much credit for gutting it out though). Some of it can be attributed to the loss of Boom Williams. UK hasn't been able to develop a consistent threat other than Snell.

*UK's secondary is underachieving IMO. It's gotten so bad that UK's staff doesn't really trust them in man coverage.

*UK doesn't have a consistent playmaker at QB. Johnson is as clutch as they come, but he isn't the kind of player that's going to make play after play after play for four quarters every week. He's limited. He still struggles with accuracy (as we've seen in each of the last two weeks). UK can't really run him as often as they'd probably like (because he isn't exactly a bulldozer like Fitzgerald). Don't get me wrong, Johnson is probably the main reason UK is 6-2, but he's just not a consistent playmaking QB (well, until the game is on the line!!!!!!).

*There's no real vertical threat in the passing game. Losing Badet really hurt. Baker too. UK has failed to quickly develop one of the freshman (Epps for example). UK's lack of speed and playmaking ability outside has been a killer. It's forced an offense with a below average running game to put together sustained drives. UK hasn't gotten many cheap points this season.

Despite those issues (all of which are significant IMO), Kentucky is 6-2. Take away the bullshit flag on UK's final drive against Florida, and we're probably looking at 7-1.

No question, Stoops and his staff have made mistakes (the most glaring of which occurred in the Florida game). Still, UK is 6-2 with a FAR from perfect football team.

More on Stoops;
*He's 23-22 since the end of his first season
*UK is 13-8 over the last two seasons
*UK is 13-5 in their last 18 regular season games
*UK is 7-6 in their last 13 SEC games
*UK is 9-2 in their last 11 games when the final margin was 10 points or less

I think Stoops is on the "right path" to build something special at Kentucky. The first step was to gain some respectability. He did that. The next step was to win football games despite the lack of dominating talent. He's doing that. The "hope" is that if he keeps winning games and getting UK into the postseason, elite recruits will eventually take notice and start choosing Kentucky. If that happens, UK will be taking the step they haven't taken in decades...accumulating enough talent to consistently challenge the leagues elite programs.

Sure, Stoops hasn't been close to perfect, but I still don't get the "fire Stoops" stuff. He's getting the job done with a team that has major issues. Like every other UK coach in my lifetime, he's found it challenging to put a dominant product on the field. Unlike those coaches, he's figuring out ways to win anyway.

GBB!!!

I agree....We know Stoops has made some stupid in-game mistakes, but the fact is we are winning more games now and our recruiting is better.

What is disheartening is to see a team like UT and notice how much more talented they still are compared to us at many positions...

We still have to recruit better to climb the SEC even despite our recent improvements in recruiting.....

We are still behind in that area and it shows when you play a team like UT, UGA, UF, etc....

Have those teams struggled to win against basically every single team they have played this season? That is the question because I really don't watch enough of other teams to see how they look against directional schools. Feel free to answer if you know.

Everyone pretty much has a game that they don't perform up to the level they are capable of against a lesser opponent, but how many do it like 4+ times in the same season against equal or lesser teams? That is the main problem most have with Stoops and this team. I wouldn't care if we had a couple of ugly wins against equal or better teams, but constantly doing it against weaker teams is aggravating.
If you are playing a team that is equal to you, why wouldn't you struggle to beat them? It makes perfect sense to me.

I don't wish to call for the firing of Stoops but I think this little section of success the past 15 games is totally related to schedule and we haven't improved any . None . We gained a W last night by the skin of our teeth against Tn , but its fact they are at a depth rarely seen in that programs history . We came razor close to finally beating UF , but again , that program is at the very bottom , and we can't expect them to stay there long . Its a complex question with any facets but have we really improved ? Did we look improved last night ? Have we improved from game 1 to game 8 ? I'm not seeing it , I'll root my heart out but if you take emotion away I don't see a team any better than the previous 5 years . We just happen not to playing hardly any good teams at all. The W's are related to the weakness of those around us , not our growing strength . Thats my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong.
Sooo glad you aren't calling for the firing of the coach of a 6-2 team. Unfreakinbelievable. If you don't think this team and program is improved over previous years you are truly blind.

Alabama's opponents are a combined 30-34. Many of top teams have played teams with under .500 record. So other teams play these same type of teams but we don't use that as an excuse for their record.

We ran the ball well against everyone last year, so it has already happened.

Can anyone say that five and six years ago these ugly wins wouldn't have been not only losses but watching UK football getting a mud hole stomped into them?
Everyone too young to forget Mitch Barnhart calling a game off when Arkansas was so far ahead (played in a thunderstorm) that there was no way to catch up?
How about the days of a head coach saying we have to recruit Ohio because WE lose recruits to the MAC???

All I can say is we ain't "there" but wherever we are is a whole lot better.

With four games left in the regular season, Kentucky is 6-2. They're 6-2 for a lot of reasons. The most obvious might be schedule strength.

Schedule strength is important for every team in America, and UK is no exception. Certainly, Kentucky's schedule isn't as difficult as we're used to seeing. Of Kentucky's six victories, only two have come against teams that currently have a winning record (South Carolina and Southern Mississippi, both of which occurred away from Lexington). Still, the fact that Stoops is winning isn't something to take for granted when you consider...

*Kentucky's inability to control the line of scrimmage. On defense, UK's d-line just isn't very good (and we knew that was gonna be the case back in April). They're routinely pushed around between the tackles. I guess you can blame Stoops for not having better lineman, but he's getting stops despite not being able to dominate up front defensively.

*The same can be said for UK's offensive line. I think interior play has been better than what we've gotten at tackle (despite the snap issues before Jackson took over at center). UK's edge guys have struggled all season. As we saw last night, even when you move the football on most of your possessions (like UT did), tackles for loss kill drives. That's what's happened to UK far too often this season. It's tough to produce a consistent offense with a deficient o-line.

*The UK running game has been awful (until last night). Some of that can be attributed to the losses of Toth and Mosier (also, Haynes isn't what he was last season...dude gets SO much credit for gutting it out though). Some of it can be attributed to the loss of Boom Williams. UK hasn't been able to develop a consistent threat other than Snell.

*UK's secondary is underachieving IMO. It's gotten so bad that UK's staff doesn't really trust them in man coverage.

*UK doesn't have a consistent playmaker at QB. Johnson is as clutch as they come, but he isn't the kind of player that's going to make play after play after play for four quarters every week. He's limited. He still struggles with accuracy (as we've seen in each of the last two weeks). UK can't really run him as often as they'd probably like (because he isn't exactly a bulldozer like Fitzgerald). Don't get me wrong, Johnson is probably the main reason UK is 6-2, but he's just not a consistent playmaking QB (well, until the game is on the line!!!!!!).

*There's no real vertical threat in the passing game. Losing Badet really hurt. Baker too. UK has failed to quickly develop one of the freshman (Epps for example). UK's lack of speed and playmaking ability outside has been a killer. It's forced an offense with a below average running game to put together sustained drives. UK hasn't gotten many cheap points this season.

Despite those issues (all of which are significant IMO), Kentucky is 6-2. Take away the bullshit flag on UK's final drive against Florida, and we're probably looking at 7-1.

No question, Stoops and his staff have made mistakes (the most glaring of which occurred in the Florida game). Still, UK is 6-2 with a FAR from perfect football team.

More on Stoops;

I think Stoops is on the "right path" to build something special at Kentucky. The first step was to gain some respectability. He did that. The next step was to win football games despite the lack of dominating talent. He's doing that. The "hope" is that if he keeps winning games and getting UK into the postseason, elite recruits will eventually take notice and start choosing Kentucky. If that happens, UK will be taking the step they haven't taken in decades...accumulating enough talent to consistently challenge the leagues elite programs.

Sure, Stoops hasn't been close to perfect, but I still don't get the "fire Stoops" stuff. He's getting the job done with a team that has major issues. Like every other UK coach in my lifetime, he's found it challenging to put a dominant product on the field. Unlike those coaches, he's figuring out ways to win anyway.

GBB!!!
Baker, too. Absolutely. By the end of last season, Baker had become a big play force. We could really use his physical blocking and wide receiver talents this year.

I don't wish to call for the firing of Stoops but I think this little section of success the past 15 games is totally related to schedule and we haven't improved any . None . We gained a W last night by the skin of our teeth against Tn , but its fact they are at a depth rarely seen in that programs history . We came razor close to finally beating UF , but again , that program is at the very bottom , and we can't expect them to stay there long . Its a complex question with any facets but have we really improved ? Did we look improved last night ? Have we improved from game 1 to game 8 ? I'm not seeing it , I'll root my heart out but if you take emotion away I don't see a team any better than the previous 5 years . We just happen not to playing hardly any good teams at all. The W's are related to the weakness of those around us , not our growing strength . Thats my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong.

I couldn’t agree more. The overriding vibe on this board today is joy and happiness to beat UT no matter how bad they are (they are REALLY bad). I said some pretty bad things last night (mostly because of alcohol and I apologize) but I woke up totally surprised at all of the positive pro UK / Stoops threads. Just like the post above says: I think we’re pretty much the same team but it looks like the teams we’re playing are at an all time low. I’m glad we won but I personally think we’ve been blessed with our schedule. If I hadn’t watched every game I’d say 6-2 was huge but I HAVE watched every game and I don’t see the optimism that a lot of posters see. But in all sincerity if you’re pumped about this team and feel good I’m happy for you. I mean that 100%. But if you’re not happy with Stoops and this team I can certainly see your point.

More on Stoops;

GBB!!!
As far as it goes, I agree with every point in this post. Too bad we are still focused on what is wrong. I have seen many posts this morning about joylessness, sloppiness, and everything that is wrong. But I have seen very little about the fact that our team has overcome prominent injuries to Mosier and Baker plus lesser injuries to multiple key players. We just beat Tennessee. Now we are bowl eligible again, but almost nobody is talking about that. This thread could have been about how long it has been since a UK football team was bowl eligible in October. Almost nobody is talking about the strength and character of our team, which is what this thread could have been about. It isn't "totally" related to schedule. Schedule is a factor, but only 1 factor. Schedule is helping other teams too. That's football. Let's give our coaches some credit for heavens sake. They recruited this team, and they are responsible for our team getting better every year (which we are). As a fan base, it's time now for us to grow up a little bit and enjoy this positive stage of program development.

Last edited:
Reactions: jauk11
How would any team’s record look without their star players? I don’t get the point.

Point is we're very luck boom, benny, and sj all turned out to be who they are, and that there is still a lot of room for major improvements across the board.

The offensive staff and players can barely advance the ball without SJ and/or Benny in there.

Our second leading rusher in yds and scores is our QB...

Through 8 games our leading WR hasn't cracked 400 yds and has 2 scores...

Why we have 2 6'5 WRs and 1 6'5 TE but can't seem to come up with and execute a passing game plan involving them is mind boggling. I mean at least 1 of the 3 should have been a hit by now. They're either all 3 busts, which is on the staff for recruiting them, or the staff can't coach/develop or utilize their talent.

Add in the OL and DL woes, and folks there is legit reason to be concerned and seemingly skeptical even though we're 6-2.

Overall we allegedly have some of the best talent this program has seen, yet we're barely getting by against some OOC directional schools and sec programs in complete turmoil...We managed to lose to the two programs with comparable talent, one of them steam rolled us.

I find the talk of player losses to transfers & graduation absurd without noting the newcomers contributing: Bowden, Paschal, L. Johnson, Panton, Bohanna, as well as RSes/2nd year players that are stepping up: Richardson, King, Watson, Brown, Drake, Looney, Stenberg, Fortner. It's like we only lose guys & never gain anyone. Crazy sheet.

Point is we're very luck boom, benny, and sj all turned out to be who they are, and that there is still a lot of room for major improvements across the board.

The offensive staff and players can barely advance the ball without SJ and/or Benny in there.

Why we have 2 6'5 WRs and 1 6'5 TE but can't seem to come up with and execute a passing game plan involving them is mind boggling. I mean at least 1 of the 3 should have been a hit by now. They're either all 3 busts, which is on the staff for recruiting them, or the staff can't coach/develop or utilize their talent.

Add in the OL and DL woes, and folks there is legit reason to be concerned and seemingly skeptical even though we're 6-2.

Overall we allegedly have some of the best talent this program has seen, yet we're barely getting by against some OOC directional schools and sec programs in complete turmoil...We managed to lose to the two programs with comparable talent, one of them steam rolled us.
I concur that this is not a NC contender team. In year 5, there are still significant flaws. But yours is about as negative of a narrative as 1 could apply to a 6-2 SEC team that is bowl eligible in October and just beat a team that has historically dominated us. Another way to look at it would be that this team overcame Haynes' illness plus critical injuries to Mosier and Baker, has gone 2-1 on the road despite being a banged up team, and has developed real leaders who understand how to win close games. Have people already forgotten that we were 2-10 in 2012 and 2013? It's time for our fans to understand the gradual, steady trend of program improvement and enjoy winning for a change.

Terrible take.

Reactions: RV2
Nice read OP. For all of the reasons you point out we are probably one of the worst looking 6-2 teams in the land, but we are 6-2. It doesn't feel as good as it should though because of all the problems you pointed out, and how we mange to just eek out wins. We've got 2 teams in last place (or at least tied for it) in their respective divisions coming up. If we can improve our play and coaching just a bit and win those two games we could be 8-2. My goodness wouldn't that be something? SC is definitely losing to Georgia and with those two wins we could also find ourselves in 2nd place in the SEC East. Then if we could beat UL in Lex which we definitely could we could end up with 9 wins, and still at least tied for 2nd in the East with SC a team we beat on the road. If all that happens we could end up playing in the biggest bowl we've been in for quite some time. I'm hoping, but also fully prepared to perhaps only win one more. We'll see, but we at least have reason to hope, and that's something we haven't had much of until this last couple of seasons.

Reactions: JasonRDunn

More on Stoops;

GBB!!!
A few things Erik and a very analysis...glad to see the offense, despite the fumbles, get to that precious 30pt threshold I think is vital for winning. I still think that we are not using a very talented receiving corps enough especially with all the size we have there. I think Bone is the most improved player on the team. Definitely think the offense will have to put up a bunch to beat Miss and not sure about Vandy game, but looking at the schedules of teams we are battling for 2nd with, if we win those two I think we can finish second in the division. Georgia is not losing. Gotta take care of our business!

Reactions: jauk11
While I will always take a win over UT no matter how it happened, I am still undecided on some things. Still some questionable coaching moves. UK run defense was bad last night.
UT was without there best RB and they still were able to run on UK. UK defense is not at a contender level.
Passing offense was awful. Have to be able to do better than that. Need some WR's that can get deep and get separation. Don't have that right now. SJ is a gamer, but UK really needs the Williams kid to sign. Need a dual threat QB for this offense.

While I will always take a win over UT no matter how it happened, I am still undecided on some things. Still some questionable coaching moves. UK run defense was bad last night.
UT was without there best RB and they still were able to run on UK. UK defense is not at a contender level.
Passing offense was awful. Have to be able to do better than that. Need some WR's that can get deep and get separation. Don't have that right now. SJ is a gamer, but UK really needs the Williams kid to sign. Need a dual threat QB for this offense.
SJ is the best quarterback we have right now. SJ is a winner. We are 6-2 and bowl eligible before the end of October. We have overcome Haynes' illness and season ending injuries to Mosier and Baker. We have leapfrogged Mizzou and South Carolina in the SECE. We just beat a team that has historically dominated us. You would think our fans would understand and appreciate the significance of these achievements. Apparently, most here don't. What a pity.

SJ is the best quarterback we have right now. SJ is a winner. We are 6-2 and bowl eligible before the end of October. We have overcome Haynes' illness and season ending injuries to Mosier and Baker. We have leapfrogged Mizzou and South Carolina in the SECE. We just beat a team that has historically dominated us. You would think our fans would understand and appreciate the significance of these achievements. Apparently, most here don't. What a pity.
I appreciate it a lot. I don't think you fully read my post or didn't comprehend it. Either way. UK won and I liked it, but this team and this program still have a lot of hill to climb.
If you can't see that, you're not looking.

Title of the thread says it all. But some years, some times are just like that. FWIW, I watched the game last night with mostly (younger) UK fans that were pretty much of the opinion: "How could we be this "bad" but have this good of a record"? I told them don't ask questions, just enjoy what's happening. [winking]

I think during Auburn's undefeated title run season with Newton they had 5 or 6 very close, come from behind games, including UK.

Peace

If he didn't have the same issues constantly occurring in year 5 that have been there since year 1, I think more people would believe in him and overlook some of our problem areas. I am happy to come away with the win after trying to do just about everything we could to lose it. I am aggravated that we have to make every game against equal or lesser opponents an adventure though.

Regardless of our record, I still don't think he can consistently take us any further than he likely will this year (probably 8 wins not counting the bowl). Sure that is better than we have been doing over like the last 30 years, but the weakness of the schedule has never been and likely will never be any easier. How will he do once Florida and Tennessee get back to where they usually are? Georgia is already at that level. Will the rest of the SEC East improve as well? Is UL going to keep regressing or build themselves back up? Will we get to keep playing 3 nearly guaranteed wins every year out of conference?

Next year will likely be a step back for us when you factor in the player losses we will have. There won't be a QB with much game experience on the roster and we will lose about 11 players (I believe that is the number) off of our 2 deep to go with our very good kicker. So how will everyone feel if we don't make a bowl next year? The natives will start to get even more restless and continue second guessing Stoops as head coach.

I think Mitch caused a lot of the issues by constantly giving Stoops contract extensions with only minimal improvement. So even if Stoops declines the next 2 years I doubt we would get rid of him with I believe 3 more years on his contract still remaining after that. We are pretty much stuck with Stoops for good or bad for probably at least 3 more years regardless of the play on the field. So we better all hope we continue to improve and Stoops turns out to be the right man for the job or we will have another head coach that was kept around to long and be back to square one once again.

That’s my only issue with Coach Stoops and his Teams. The reoccurring issues that on the surface looks to be in his area of Game Preperation and Game Management. The rest of the it is just Football Stuff Happens. You can’t fault the guy for his record over the past two years. If Kentucky wins the games they’re suppose to win this season, UK should end up with a 8 - 4 or even a 9 - 3 record. Most of us would have taken those records at the start of the season and be over joyed with either. Go Cats!

defensive line is bad? Theyare top 40 in rushing defense and had 7 sacks last night. D-line is the best one we ever had probably lol

The whole team is basically 3 star to low end 4 stars and they are 7-2. That's pretty damn good. I bet Nick Saban wouldn't be 6-2 with this talent.

I'll take these current UK players and ''schedule'' every year going forward if I could. This team might end up at 9-3........holy fuk

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that about UT. They still get great recruiting classes even with sub par results. They still have a huge fan base. They still have great facilities. They just are making terrible hires. IU basketball is stuck in the 80's. Their recruiting has been way down. I haven't heard much about their facilities. I don't think they invest much in their basketball program, but I could be wrong. Plus their hires have been pretty bad as well.

UL will always be an issue for us if they are allowed to keep taking questionable recruits and transfers. Will that change under new AD management? They should keep doing well offensively as long as Petrino is there, but they have to do better with their defense.

UT hasn’t been relevant for 20 years. As far as UL, they will be more competitive than most teams with those types of players, however Kentucky should get to a level where it won’t be good enough.

I couldn’t agree more. The overriding vibe on this board today is joy and happiness to beat UT no matter how bad they are (they are REALLY bad). I said some pretty bad things last night (mostly because of alcohol and I apologize) but I woke up totally surprised at all of the positive pro UK / Stoops threads. Just like the post above says: I think we’re pretty much the same team but it looks like the teams we’re playing are at an all time low. I’m glad we won but I personally think we’ve been blessed with our schedule. If I hadn’t watched every game I’d say 6-2 was huge but I HAVE watched every game and I don’t see the optimism that a lot of posters see. But in all sincerity if you’re pumped about this team and feel good I’m happy for you. I mean that 100%. But if you’re not happy with Stoops and this team I can certainly see your point.
Good post. I'm kind of cautiously optimistic after the Tennessee win. The reason is I watched us turn the ball over 4 times, lose the time of possession by a 38-22 margin, run 26 fewer plays, and still win.
The biggest reason I'm optimistic is the offensive line played by far their best game of the season, and that bodes well for the rest of the season.

I can see both sides though. I understand the fans that think we're 6-2 only because of a down schedule, but, I'm pleased that we're finding ways to win games despite the fact that the offensive line has been pretty rough up until the UT game.

I'm just going to enjoy being 6-2 with the real possibility of getting to 9 wins and a good bowl game. Let's see what happens.

Last edited:
Actually 6-2 is a fact. Not an opinion. Although I will agree the vast majority of your posts are pointless. And clueless.

Ah wee lass, seems that ye hit a nerve.....and that is a good thing.

Drink up........................and...........................poof.

So the offense can barely advance the ball without their starting QB and RB? Pretty sure this is the case for a LOT of teams out there. And as far as being "lucky" that players turn out to be good? Pretty sure thats the case for every team.. Pretty bad take

I disagree, I see people giving an honest, fair assessment. Some good, some bad. We're not a perfect team and Stoops is not a perfect coach. Fickle is people abandoning the team. Nobody's doing that.

Fickle, in my mind, isn't abandoning the team, because where else do they have to go and who would want them? Major fluctuating attitudes accompanying every change of on the field result is fickle to me.

ADVERTISEMENT