ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Fox.

I've always said this. Why the heck you get rid of Fox and hire Crean. So darn devastating to this guy's resume. He was building at Georgia within his realm of capabilities. Which was better than anything Crean brought to the table. I'm 100% glad he is on our staff. The guy is a sleeper.

I've never thought Fox was a terrible coach. Not elite but not bad either. He didn't do great at California recently but the issue there is a Board of Regents that really hates sports, so I can give a pass. He was okay at Georgia, which is a tough place to win since they really haven't made much of a splash since Tubby left there.

d6lm4za-359a5130-cf7f-484d-901b-1a06e0b2a50f.png

I've never thought Fox was a terrible coach. Not elite but not bad either. He didn't do great at California recently but the issue there is a Board of Regents that really hates sports, so I can give a pass. He was okay at Georgia, which is a tough place to win since they really haven't made much of a splash since Tubby left there.
Cal was pure garbage last year! Cal, UofL, and DePaul were 3 of the worst P5 teams I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
I think his terribleness as a head coach is somewhat overstated but that isn't very relevant since we did not hire him in such a capacity anyway. He isn't even our #2, he is more than qualified for what he is here for.

Always thought he was good x's and o's coach. He never had the talent. Georgia didn't give a crap about basketball and he was competive there. I remember when he was at Nevada and he did well there. Seems like a good dude.
Yeah Fox was a solid coach. He did well at 2 schools that have never done much in basketball. Consistently won 23-25 games. Challenged for s tourney bid every season. He was never gonna win the league, he may have at Nevada I can’t recall off the top of my head. Nonetheless he was better than average at the P5/level. After a quick search he was a career 324-263 and won 4 conference tournaments with 10 NCAA bids. He won 62% of his games at Nevada and Georgia combined.

Last edited:
But he is not a coach at all...he's basically like a front office GM type role of who we want to spend portal NIL money on (or not).
I wouldn't say "at all". He's one of five assistant coaches. He's going to be on the bench during games. Hes going to be in practices and can instruct. With that "associate" title i bet hes second chair down from Pope. He's like the others, just can't recruit and will do NIL instead.

Reactions: will1976
This sums up Kentucky fans. Nothing comes before the agenda.

It is infinitely harder to win at Kentucky football then Georgia basketball. Mark Stoops goes to a bowl game every year and wins 7-10 games nearly every year and receives luke warm support from Kentucky fans. He’s one 6-6 season away from losing most of the fanbase.

Mark Fox was a Georgia for 9 years, made 2 NCAA Tournaments, TWO! He had zero NCAA Tournament wins in 9 years, and is a good coach. Dude was 3-28 at Cal but is a good X’s and O’s coach. Y’all always talk about last 4 years, his last 4 years he was 38-87 and is celebrated. This coming from the fanbase that has trashed every coach in the basketball office for a decade. Mark Fox is objectively awful as a coach and all this agenda driven fake love is hilarious.

It’s weird to me that he is. When he was at Georgia I thought he was an okay coach but on the dorky side. For some reason at UK I feel like he’s a good lookin bloke with some swag and charisma.

I wonder if it’s the UK shirt.
Hey @Killswitch24. This has nothing to do with the thread, but I love your avatar, the cat scratches. Really cool...simple and understated, but powerful to me in the meaning and what it represents. Really cool!!!

It is infinitely harder to win at Kentucky football then Georgia basketball. Mark Stoops goes to a bowl game every year and wins 7-10 games nearly every year and receives luke warm support from Kentucky fans. He’s one 6-6 season away from losing most of the fanbase.

Mark Fox was a Georgia for 9 years, made 2 NCAA Tournaments, TWO! He had zero NCAA Tournament wins in 9 years, and is a good coach. Dude was 3-28 at Cal but is a good X’s and O’s coach. Y’all always talk about last 4 years, his last 4 years he was 38-87 and is celebrated. This coming from the fanbase that has trashed every coach in the basketball office for a decade. Mark Fox is objectively awful as a coach and all this agenda driven fake love is hilarious.
Nobody is saying they would want Fox as our head coach. He obviously isn't on an elite level there. However, there's a big difference in being an assistant vs a head coach. There have been some amazing assistants that couldn't cut it as the main guy. I think people are pointing out that Fox has had enough success to demonstrate that he knows a lot about basketball, and will bring a lot to the table as an assistant to Pope. That is all. Likewise, to go with your example, Stoops was a really great coordinator but in my opinion is an average head coach. The success he's had has more to do with the continuity he's been granted by staying at KY for so long. Your comparison of the two is apples to oranges. Head coach vs assistant.

Reactions: Mike-D
Nobody is saying they would want Fox as our head coach. He obviously isn't on an elite level there. However, there's a big difference in being an assistant vs a head coach. There have been some amazing assistants that couldn't cut it as the main guy. I think people are pointing out that Fox has had enough success to demonstrate that he knows a lot about basketball, and will bring a lot to the table as an assistant to Pope. That is all. Likewise, to go with your example, Stoops was a really great coordinator but in my opinion is an average head coach. The success he's had has more to do with the continuity he's been granted by staying at KY for so long. Your comparison of the two is apples to oranges. Head coach vs assistant.
Mark Stoops was a very good coordinator and a good head coach. Mark Fox was an awful head coach and was an assistant on lower programs in the past so who knows what he will be as an assistant. It’s just funny hearing the excuses for Mark Fox Fox who was completely awful as a head coach from the people who trash most of the coaches on campus.

• Haha
Mark Stoops was a very good coordinator and a good head coach. Mark Fox was an awful head coach and was an assistant on lower programs in the past so who knows what he will be as an assistant. It’s just funny hearing the excuses for Mark Fox Fox who was completely awful as a head coach from the people who trash most of the coaches on campus.
I respect your opinion. I think saying both Stoops and Fox are average head coaches is a reasonable statement that a lot of people would agree with. If one takes that stance, I don't see anything wrong with being happy about bringing Fox on board. If I were an Alabama football fan, and Stoops was brought in as the defensive coordinator, I'd be cool with that as well.

Reactions: wildcatwelder

If Mark Fox was an elite head coach, he wouldn't be an assistant here or anywhere. Weird way to think about this tbh. People who know more than me say it's a good hire, so I'm going with that.

Also - not many "awful" coaches last 10+ years at the P5 level. Add up all of Cal's coaching tree and they don't last 10 years P5 as a collective. Fox was as good or better at UGA than the few before and after him.

Who would you consider great hires instead?

If Mark Fox was an elite head coach, he wouldn't be an assistant here or anywhere. Weird way to think about this tbh. People who know more than me say it's a good hire, so I'm going with that.

Also - not many "awful" coaches last 10+ years at the P5 level. Add up all of Cal's coaching tree and they don't last 10 years P5 as a collective. Fox was as good or better at UGA than the few before and after him.

Who would you consider great hires instead?
There you go trashing other coaches while propping up complete loser Mark Fox. Just keep that same energy, Mark Fox is just as garbage, and in many cases worse than anyone in Cal’s failed coaching tree. Y’all have to compare Mark Fox to other awful coaches just to prop him up.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
I respect your opinion. I think saying both Stoops and Fox are average head coaches is a reasonable statement that a lot of people would agree with. If one takes that stance, I don't see anything wrong with being happy about bringing Fox on board. If I were an Alabama football fan, and Stoops was brought in as the defensive coordinator, I'd be cool with that as well.
Being happy isn’t my issue, it’s the fake acting like he was a good coach when he was complete ass while trashing every other UK coach. I don’t even mind him being an assistant if he serves a purpose for Mark Pope. You know, like Bruiser Flint, a guy that these same people trashed for 3 years.

Show Mark Stoops the same support y’all have for this assistant coach who has accomplished nothing.

• Haha
There you go trashing other coaches while propping up complete loser Mark Fox. Just keep that same energy, Mark Fox is just as garbage, and in many cases worse than anyone in Cal’s failed coaching tree. Y’all have to compare Mark Fox to other awful coaches just to prop him up.
Not sure what weird axe you have to grind, but I'd like to hear the assistant coaches you think would be better hires. Be specific.

Being happy isn’t my issue, it’s the fake acting like he was a good coach when he was complete ass while trashing every other UK coach. I don’t even mind him being an assistant if he serves a purpose for Mark Pope. You know, like Bruiser Flint, a guy that these same people trashed for 3 years.

Show Mark Stoops the same support y’all have for this assistant coach who has accomplished nothing.
Sounds like some serious hyperbole coming from you in my opinion but I digress. To each his own.

Pope was given his first shot at coaching by Mark Fox. Thats why hes at UK.

Not sure what weird axe you have to grind, but I'd like to hear the assistant coaches you think would be better hires. Be specific.
Again, my issue isn’t with the hire, it’s with how fake y’all are. Y’all went from claiming failed head coaches we’re awful assistants to celebrating a failed head coach that was hired as an assistant. Unless you have access to practices and the team behind the scenes no one, me included has no idea what these assistants do, it doesn’t stop y’all from pretending to be experts.

• Haha
Started a new screen name today, just to start a thread complaining about one of Kentucky's assistant coaches?

Bye troll!
You tell the truth to raftards and you’re a troll. My bad dude, let me raftard it up for you. Mark Fox who we last saw going 3-29 is a Hall of Fame coach. He’s not a buddy hire just like Bruiser Flint, he’s one of the best assistants in the country.

Reactions: will1976
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT