ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Walker arrested on drug charges

Let me be clear though that this charge raises serious questions beyond the criminality.

This is the second drug trafficking charge for a player under stoops. Makes one curious about why that happens and who the clientele may be.

There were some obvious, giant, warning signs here that went ignored. They pointed to obvious illegal activity. Or at the very least pointed to some serious compliance concerns. Someone somewhere at some point had to be in the position to ask "where is this kid getting this kind of money?"

Lexington is completely liberal. The prosecutor has to decide to take the case to a grand jury and may not decide to prosecute in the first place. If it does make it past a grand jury he will be offered a generous plea for two reasons, one being first offender status and the othe being a lack of a firearm or weapon charge. I can see him even being granted pretrial diversion. If he cooperates and can flip the next man higher all this goes away.

Not so fast my friend on the weapons charge :cheers2:

Reactions: BearBryantsWatch
This pix of the car and cash was posted in March. That in itself should have prompted a UK looksee. If the young lad had access to the vehicle, curious as to the ownership. Around here, five lbs and a firearm gets a look from the BATFE, but the bar may be higher in the big city.

A good point in that alot of times, this charge is the tip of the iceberg.

Selling weed isn't that serious in the big picture. If he wasn't a football player, we'd likely never heard about it.

Did you read the article? He was also selling cocaine.

-Trafficking a controlled substance (> or = 4 grams of cocaine)

Things like this bother me. Kids make mistakes, adults do to. These are pretty big mistakes, but in the SEC there is only 2-3 schools where anyone would ever hear about it and most of you know that's the truth. It gets used against us in recruiting all the time, go to Georgia and get arrested, come to AU or UT and we will handle it. If this happened at those places no one would ever hear about it. Now it's in the paper and people wanting to throw him away on his first offense. Would the feeling be the same if it was an important starter instead of a special team player?
I'd feel the same way if it was Benny or even Anthony Davis. He needs his day in court but if he is found guilty he is gone. Until his trial, if there is one, he should be suspended and suspended from UK. It's cut and dry to me.

Give the kid a break -remember I said Kid , yes its a bad charge , if they cocaine wasnt involved if it is , if its just weed , give this young man a break , the whole NFL AND NBA smokes , WEED should be legal and it is in a bunch of states , KY is backwards , u can buy liquor and beer and drive and kill someone , no one on weed has harmed anyone to my knowledge , KID deserves a break !
Just how much of a break would you like for a drug trafficking?

Lexington is completely liberal. The prosecutor has to decide to take the case to a grand jury and may not decide to prosecute in the first place. If it does make it past a grand jury he will be offered a generous plea for two reasons, one being first offender status and the othe being a lack of a firearm or weapon charge. I can see him even being granted pretrial diversion. If he cooperates and can flip the next man higher all this goes away.
What does liberal or conservative have to with drug charges? Both think they can tell adults how to live their lives and what to put into their bodies. Libertarians generally believe drugs should be legal, not Republicrats.

Did you read the article? He was also selling cocaine.

-Trafficking a controlled substance (> or = 4 grams of cocaine)

I did not see he was charged with cocaine trafficking. If so that's obviously more severe.

Needs to be dismissed from team either way

Give the kid a break -remember I said Kid , yes its a bad charge , if they cocaine wasnt involved if it is , if its just weed , give this young man a break , the whole NFL AND NBA smokes , WEED should be legal and it is in a bunch of states , KY is backwards , u can buy liquor and beer and drive and kill someone , no one on weed has harmed anyone to my knowledge , KID deserves a break !
Thought right about the pot, it comes down to the amount. Which was A LOT. The cocaine is the big deal. Comes down to “intent to distribute”

This was not a mistake, but intentional. You're correct at other schools it would probably be covered up.

People aren't the ones throwing him away, he did that to himself.

Hopefully he can learn from this and have a productive life, and I hope he does.

Special teams player or major starter should not be an influence either way but get your point.

Mistake may be the wrong word, bad decision might a better term. And yes, people here were saying get rid of him put him off the program, for a first time offense. He chose to come to UK when things were pretty rough with the program when quite a few other P5 schools offered as well. It hasn't worked out for him or UK as far as his playing time goes. It happens everywhere and is expected to happen.

Hopefully he has learned from this decision, but like I said, no one would have ever heard about this if it happened at LSU, Bama, AU, UT and several other schools, the only 2 I know of for certain it would be in the paper are UK and UGA kids, who have their pic on the front page of the AJC within an hour of arrest.

I don't know how Stoops will handle it, UGA's handbook says 3rd time you are gone, one of our starting ILB missed the final 6 games of last season and may miss some this season for smoking with a special teamer but both are still in the program.

Sad to see him fall. The allegations are disappointing and demonstrate really bad decisions. I hope he gets help.

Well.....shucks.
Education, room and board, a little stipend and, being a jock, likely as much companionship as he would want.

Throwing it all away......smh.
Gotta think of the life style a lot of college athletes grew up in. Sometimes it is hard to get out of that life even when a new life has been given to you. If it wasn’t for sports that’s what a lot of guys would be doing with their lives.

I have known about Marcus's side job for a couple of years and vaguely referenced it last summer, saying that he needed to get his personal life in order. The kid didn't do a great job of hiding it, the only surprise was it took this long to go public.

You may have known but I hope the staff and other players did not. Hope this does not ensnare others.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Not sure what rock you live under or if you just believe the Facebook hippies that say weed doesn't kill anyone. But people are killed each day from driving while high. Drugged driving deaths have surged since the 90s. gone up like 18 percentage points and almost tripled. Drunk driving deaths have decreased, while drugged driving deaths have increased.
Well, I'd wager most of those "drugged" are dozing opiate addicts, not smoke fans.

Coke was involved... Do you think it should be legal too? He needs somebody to smack the stupid out of him!
Why shouldnt coke be legal? Stop telling people how live their lives. Should soft drinks with all the sugar be illegal? What about foods that are high in saturated fat and cholesterol? What about cigarettes and beer, should they be illegal too or should we allow people to make decisions for themselves?

Hate to hear that. I’ve heard dumbass mentioned several times in the thread and even I have to start to question what type of idiot has that much product and cash and no personal protection.
True. Too big a target. Something like 50k retail worth of smoke these days?

5 pounds of MJ down here would typically get you a prison sentence of at least five years and you’d serve at least 1/3 of that.

That’s a lot of weed and indicative of a pretty big seller.
I'd be shocked maybe 5 years probation.

He won't serve much time imo. First offense non violent crime. Serve a couple months then put on diversion

FOUR pounds PLUS the hard stuff, the question is how did he get enough money for that much stuff, and how long had he been dealing.

Sorry, I feel sorry for those that try the stuff in today's society, not knowing how easy it is to get hooked, and once you get hooked how can you afford to get the stuff you "have" to have? And no, I don't feel sorry for any dealer, lock them all up, making money while ruining lives.

Another life that had everything many of us would have given anything for, the God given talent to play football at UK, instead of being a blessing to us fans and with a great opportunity odds are he is headed for a life of crime--------maybe because of one bad decision that started it all.

Let me be clear though that this charge raises serious questions beyond the criminality.

This is the second drug trafficking charge for a player under stoops. Makes one curious about why that happens and who the clientele may be.

There were some obvious, giant, warning signs here that went ignored. They pointed to obvious illegal activity. Or at the very least pointed to some serious compliance concerns. Someone somewhere at some point had to be in the position to ask "where is this kid getting this kind of money?"
Surely that isn't him in the picture, right?

Just pointing out the article said it was his first offense on the latter two charges.....which kind of leaves the offense of possession open to whether that may have happened before.
As far as three strikes and out, these charges are three strikes themselves regardless if there was or was not a prior misdemeanor possession charge.

Sorry, I would have to say suspended until disposition of charges.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
C6w5C70WcAEGKCC.jpg

Obviously, this kid isn't too bright.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
Things like this bother me. Kids make mistakes, adults do to. These are pretty big mistakes, but in the SEC there is only 2-3 schools where anyone would ever hear about it and most of you know that's the truth. It gets used against us in recruiting all the time, go to Georgia and get arrested, come to AU or UT and we will handle it. If this happened at those places no one would ever hear about it. Now it's in the paper and people wanting to throw him away on his first offense. Would the feeling be the same if it was an important starter instead of a special team player?

I agree completely, I'm sure it gets used against us all the time too-------that AND the COA, TWELVE million dollar buyouts but won't spend half a million more to put us at the top of the COA. Like I have repeated a couple of times, back when our most promising defensive player was kicked off the team for two offenses UK's (and Georgia's) limit was two failed tests, Thug U's was six, and Transfer U never had a limit, lol.

And sorry, yes, if he is an All American send him packing, someone with four pounds of mj to sell is a VERY bad influence to have on the team.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Why shouldnt coke be legal? Stop telling people how live their lives. Should soft drinks with all the sugar be illegal? What about foods that are high in saturated fat and cholesterol? What about cigarettes and beer, should they be illegal too or should we allow people to make decisions for themselves?
Don't give a damn as long as PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is involved and as long as when they hit rock bottom THEY HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY FOR THE REHAB because it is not cheap. And just so you know I have a son that is a heroin addict and I've had him locked up for stealing from me. Whether it be drugs , cigarettes , alcohol I get sick of people saying these things are a disease.

Last edited:
Just pointing out the article said it was his first offense on the latter two charges.....which kind of leaves the offense of possession open to whether that may have happened before.
As far as three strikes and out, these charges are three strikes themselves regardless if there was or was not a prior misdemeanor possession charge.

Sorry, I would have to say suspended until disposition of charges.

I would say he had a great opportunity, and blew it, not just in football but in life, always on his record.

I would say he gone, and should be, a potential cancer, weren't Tubman and Hatcher much more promising players and look what happened to them. Tubman a more serious charge but also a he say she say situation that not only got him kicked off the team but out of the city. Would have never happened at either of our two nearest rivals.

That platform gets a lot of votes come election time. You should run for office!!

Ding ding ding. Weed does not make you impaired where you kill somebody. You may sit through a green light though .

This is a fiction. Toxicology experts will say that decision making is impaired by pot use. I know we joke about the car stopping 20 feet before a stop sign, but if your ability to respond is impaired, you place people at risk.

Gotta think of the life style a lot of college athletes grew up in. Sometimes it is hard to get out of that life even when a new life has been given to you. If it wasn’t for sports that’s what a lot of guys would be doing with their lives.

Atta boy Dallas ! “Hunt for red October voice”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT