ADVERTISEMENT

Mahaney to UConn

That's unfortunate that UK was unwilling to match UCONN. Especially considering we have more NIL support. I'm trusting the staff, but for me personally this feels like a miss by UK.
I've been thinking for a while, we may have more NIL than all but a couple other schools, but ours is being spent on an entire new roster, whereas other teams are allocating those funds for 3-5 additions. Obviously you need to pay the guys already on your roster, but if they're not testing their market potential in the portal you're probably getting them at a discount. No discounts for UK.

I'll reiterate my "moneyball" theory of the portal, here. If foreign players still can't get paid NIL, why not add three or four of them to each roster to fill in your role players, and allow yourself to spend more on the top guys each year? Plus a couple freshman each year not earning a lot, and you could really ball out on the 4-6 top players you need to pay.

Reactions: G-PIP
I live a few minutes form
Moraga and watched this kid last 2 years and he’s honestly been back sliding. He was my least favorite of potentials. So all good with him passing us by.

Reactions: Cayts69
Glad we didn’t match. He’s overrated. Can get better players and won’t have to worry about minutes logjam.

Brea took 2 visits. Uconn is loaded with guards. Mahaney to uk and brea to uconn was what the national guys seem to thunk would happen now that has flipped. I dont see brea going to a team with that many guards when uk has an abundance of PT. Just my personal feeling
I sure hope you are right but sounds like he is asking for big money. IF they wouldn't give it to Mahaney will they Brea?

This you?
Fraudalert.jpg

Just because we have the money doesn't mean we should try and outbid others for someone that isn't even a game changer type of player. You pay more for this one then the next one expects it and the next one after that. He may have rubbed Pope the wrong way trying to be all about the money and not the name on the front of the jersey.

Cal dogged on our practice facility. In that pic it looks like UConn practices at the local Class A High School (and they seem to be doing just fine). I'm sure it is nicer that that pic though.
Built in 2014. 78K sq. feet. Craft Center 2007...102K sq. feet.

bccinterior1.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: TX-Wildcat
Diarra
Ball
Stewart
Karaban
Johnson

Mahaney
McNeeley

Is this UConn potential
Top 7 so far?

It's not luck luck when you when 12 straight NCAA tournament games by double digits. We have to match them not expect them to fall back.
Yup, I'm far more concerned catching and passing the back to back champs than the goings on of a third tier program in Fayettesville.

Eyes on the prize not the swine!

Reactions: permdaddy
Mahaney is a talented guy and will do well at UConn. He's going to be playing with better players and in a program that is doing a fantastic job with player development. The fact Hurley/Staff played him in an NCAA game and felt that he was an important player for them to get speaks to his value as a player/mentality that fits them. Kentucky getting a visit was impressive based on where they were in terms of putting a staff together, having to try and land a visit from him (which they did), etc....but this isn't some devastating loss and neither was McNeely who I never felt they were a serious candidate due to the same reasons. It's okay to tip the cap and move on.

For what Kentucky needs right now/roster wise, Brea would be a bigger filler. Tall/elite shooter.

I just enjoyed watching the kid play. Watched him several times over the past year. He just seemed to play with the same assurance that Sheppard played. Basically the same kind of player. Not the quickest, or fastest or the one that could jump the highest, just a basketball player.

I think he's good and would have been glad to get him but he is of the same approximate value as several others we're after so it's not that big a deal.

I’m curious why you think Brea is better? Brea does one thing super elite….he stands in one spot and hits perimeter shots. Mahaney can drive really well….Mahaney is the better passer….the better defender and neither guy rebounds for crap lol
I wouldn't he say "stands in one spot." He can catch and shoot it, but he has some nice moves to free himself up and shoot off the bounce too.

I wouldn't he say "stands in one spot." He can catch and shoot it, but he has some nice moves to free himself up and shoot off the bounce too.
You are correct I oversimplified his game….even for a college hoops junky I admittedly didn’t watch much Dayton last year. I’ve reviewed more highlights and he is very good shooting off the pick and roll 93rd percentile. So there is some wiggle to him around the perimeter.

We're struggling to get who we want in the back court despite having millions to spend.

I think starting next year it will be different but this year isn't going as well as some said. At least not yet.
Who on here said we would hit on every target and have a top 5 roster within 3 weeks? We are right on schedule for a great roster.

Near the end of the season, Seth Greenberg was on Stephen A. Smith's show talking about Calipari leaving UK and the theme of the discussion was the decline of the Kentucky basketball program. Greenberg commented that UK's facilities are "drastically inferior to UCONN". I realize the Craft Center has been around a while but I have been in that building a few years ago and it struck me as a top flight facility and definitely not a shithole that would turn off potential recruits. If UCONN's facility is "drasticallY" nicer, I can't imagine what the differences would be to make it so.
Greenberg was just being a Cal shill. He’s Cal’s buddy and one of the few that refused to say any negative takes at all despite the drastic underachieving the last 5 years. Almost every other media member initially called a spade a spade after Oakland. SG was just being a mouthpiece and repeating Cals calls for a new practice facility as an excuse

The wildcat lodge could use some updating…the Craft center is still top 5 in CBB and at minimum just needs a small renovation to keep the “new” feeling to it.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Greenberg was just being a Cal shill. He’s Cal’s buddy and one of the few that refused to say any negative takes at all despite the drastic underachieving the last 5 years. Almost every other media member initially called a spade a spade after Oakland. SG was just being a mouthpiece and repeating Cals calls for a new practice facility as an excuse

The wildcat lodge could use some updating…the Craft center is still top 5 in CBB and at minimum just needs a small renovation to keep the “new” feeling to it.
That’s how I feel as well. Make a new lodge but the practice facility just needs a facelift. Greenberg is like Cal’s only media friend left I think. He never ever says anything against him.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I know alot of people on here still obsess over cal and arky. but uconn is clearly our biggest hurdle to hangin number 9. That program is becoming a almost a dynasty in basketball unfortunately and they may not slow down anytime soon.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I know alot of people on here still obsess over cal and arky. but uconn is clearly our biggest hurdle to hangin number 9. That program is becoming an almost a dynasty in basketball unfortunately and they may not slow down anytime soon.
I know, their luck has to end sometime. They have been on some kinda heater. Honestly they are lucky to even recover after Kevin Ollie and he still won a title! All because of Cal!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT