ADVERTISEMENT

Branham update

California has a great recruiter, Matt Scherbenske. Former Wildcat, someone we should look to bring on in 2-3 years if any of Pope’s current staff leave for bigger jobs. I met Matt at an NBA game years back and it seemed like he had a ton of love for Kentucky. Seemed like he wore his survival of the Gillispie years as a badge of pride, which I thought was cool and spoke to his character. He was just starting out at Central Arkansas when I met him, he was awesome to talk hoops with and invited me out with another guy who was an assistant but I was out of town for the game and had to get back for work in the morning. It was cool meeting him and following his rise since then.
I remember Matt Scherbenske for sure. Those guys seem to always love their time at where they played. I’m happy to hear he still loves BBN and that he’s doing well in coaching. That would be cool if he could make it here one day. I love having former Cats who love the program and can pass that love to recruits and players they coach now. That was the single biggest thing missing under Calipari. His first 5-6 years it felt like that was motivation for the guys, win big here and then chase their personal goals and somewhere after that it became all about their goals and that was it.

Reactions: BigKari
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT