ADVERTISEMENT

Mahaney to UConn

Hate missing on him as he is a solid role player on any squad. However, if not getting him helps us land a better true PG and/or a knockdown SG then so be it. Best of luck to him in Storrs!

Reactions: TM2013
I’m curious why you think Brea is better? Brea does one thing super elite….he stands in one spot and hits perimeter shots. Mahaney can drive really well….Mahaney is the better passer….the better defender and neither guy rebounds for crap lol
The one thing we havent addressed yet on the roster yet is pure shooting and brea is the best shooter in the portal (tyson was great too) i watched a fair amount of st marys games this year and mahaney is more if a slashing type player that relies on finishing near the rim and i have concerns hes strong enough to do that and play defense in the SEC/ big boy ball.

UConn will look like a different team without Clingan. Banking on a 3-peat is a tall task, in this era of basketball. Hurley is a great coach, but the luck has to run out at some point.
It's not luck luck when you when 12 straight NCAA tournament games by double digits. We have to match them not expect them to fall back.

I’m curious why you think Brea is better? Brea does one thing super elite….he stands in one spot and hits perimeter shots. Mahaney can drive really well….Mahaney is the better passer….the better defender and neither guy rebounds for crap lol
That was my assesement as well.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Hate missing on him as he is a solid role player on any squad. However, if not getting him helps us land a better true PG and/or a knockdown SG then so be it. Best of luck to him in Storrs!

It's about need. And he shoots 25-35 feet at almost 50%. When you shoot that well who cares what else you can do? We need a game that must be smothered the every possession....it opens up lanes.

And remember it takes 150 two's to equal same points as 100 threes. If you shoot 50% from 2 that means it takes 100 more possessions.

It's not luck luck when you when 12 straight NCAA tournament games by double digits. We have to match them not expect them to fall back.
I'll counter that, in addition to good coaching and peaking at the right time, that they've managed to avoid key injuries during March. In a single elimination format, things lining up and luck do play a part in tournament runs. The best rosters and teams do not always come out on top.

UConn picked up a damn good player today. I was hoping we would get him.
per Tipton
I'm disappointed. For next year Wells would probably be my top choice but it doesn't seem he's definitely staying in CBB, then Mahaney, then Brea. But Mahaney is the only one who we could get for two seasons. I really want to add some guys who are two year (or more) players to the roster to have some more continuity.

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
Cal dogged on our practice facility. In that pic it looks like UConn practices at the local Class A High School (and they seem to be doing just fine). I'm sure it is nicer that that pic though.
Near the end of the season, Seth Greenberg was on Stephen A. Smith's show talking about Calipari leaving UK and the theme of the discussion was the decline of the Kentucky basketball program. Greenberg commented that UK's facilities are "drastically inferior to UCONN". I realize the Craft Center has been around a while but I have been in that building a few years ago and it struck me as a top flight facility and definitely not a shithole that would turn off potential recruits. If UCONN's facility is "drasticallY" nicer, I can't imagine what the differences would be to make it so.

Pretty fascinating update from Trilly Donovan on this.

That tells me that Kentucky feels great about getting some equal or better elsewhere.

GMWigDLXMAAxPJJ

I'm disappointed. For next year Wells would probably be my top choice but it doesn't seem he's definitely staying in CBB, then Mahaney, then Brea. But Mahaney is the only one who we could get for two seasons. I really want to add some guys who are two year (or more) players to the roster to have some more continuity.
right there with you, honestly a little disappointed
the super weekend was supposed to be 6 guys visiting, wound up being 3. the talk this a.m. was that Mahaney started following uk players & coaches on instagram or whatever, then he goes to UConn. Now the word is that this guy is wanting a fortune in NIL $. Wells probably staying in the draft, wo knows about Robinson, Smith has transcript issues. Need to show some interest in the Power kid from Duke before he signs with some one else. The big guy visiting today keeps talking about wanting to play with Williams & Carr, but the only hold up is him.. All he has to do is sign on the dotted line & he gets his wish.

Near the end of the season, Seth Greenberg was on Stephen A. Smith's show talking about Calipari leaving UK and the theme of the discussion was the decline of the Kentucky basketball program. Greenberg commented that UK's facilities are "drastically inferior to UCONN". I realize the Craft Center has been around a while but I have been in that building a few years ago and it struck me as a top flight facility and definitely not a shithole that would turn off potential recruits. If UCONN's facility is "drasticallY" nicer, I can't imagine what the differences would be to make it so.
Greenberg was just supporting his buddy Cal and harping on something Cal didn't get. I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 better facilities in the country than ours, if that. No one invests in basketball like we do.

That's unfortunate that UK was unwilling to match UCONN. Especially considering we have more NIL support. I'm trusting the staff, but for me personally this feels like a miss by UK.

I'll wait to see who we actually get but it sure feels like we're missing our back court targets. If the staff thinks uconn overpaid, that's fine. We need talent and we're running out of options.

The one thing we havent addressed yet on the roster yet is pure shooting and brea is the best shooter in the portal (tyson was great too) i watched a fair amount of st marys games this year and mahaney is more if a slashing type player that relies on finishing near the rim and i have concerns hes strong enough to do that and play defense in the SEC/ big boy ball.
Why do you act like Brea is a sure thing?

I'll wait to see who we actually get but it sure feels like we're missing our back court targets. If the staff thinks uconn overpaid, that's fine. We need talent and we're running out of options.
I agree with your sentiment. It definitely does feel like we're missing out on a piece that could be a "connecter." Based on what's out there, I feel like our potential PG could not be in the portal yet or could be someone like Poplar. Regardless, it's time to lock down some shooters.

The burning question for me is this, "Why not counter?" The obvious answer is they have better options. However, why waste a visit on him then? Ugh! The suspense is killing me. 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT