ADVERTISEMENT

Mac jones

jlkirk

Sophomore
Dec 4, 2005
any substAnce to the rumors he wanted to come back into the fold the closer we got to mad?

From what the guys on here said he got butt hurt because Gran did not contact him right away. Once Clark committed they where not gonna turn him away for a guy who decommited. Clark is a lot more raw than Jones but Clark upside and fit for the offense this staff wants to run is better than Mac.

Reactions: redbudman
I liked MJ because I thought he was extremely accurate with his passes. However I think the story of his recruitment, why he decommitted, and the final situation he landed himself in is best described by the old saying, "He jumped out of the frying pan into the fire."

any substAnce to the rumors he wanted to come back into the fold the closer we got to mad?
I think this was a clear case of a kid thinking he was more important than he was. He was a nice recruit but no one was going to go all in for him?

Reactions: redbudman
I liked MJ because I thought he was extremely accurate with his passes. However I think the story of his recruitment, why he decommitted, and the final situation he landed himself in is best described by the old saying, "He jumped out of the frying pan into the fire."

That's the same thing I liked Levi, the accuracy and damn that boy can sling it :cheers2:

Reactions: Levibooty
Come on guys, he signed with Bama didn't he? So how bad is that? He may never play but he will end up with a Bama beauty and be a bank VP in 5 years telling old jock stories to the clients. If he was really interested in having the best shot at being on the field in the SEC he would have stuck with UK but it is not like he is playing in Iraq.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Come on guys, he signed with Bama didn't he? So how bad is that? He may never play but he will end up with a Bama beauty and be a bank VP in 5 years telling old jock stories to the clients. If he was really interested in having the best shot at being on the field in the SEC he would have stuck with UK but it is not like he is playing in Iraq.

Bama may being changing their offense to a dual threat type qb led offense, but in the old Bama offense Jones is the best fit they have on campus now. Hurts is a run first qb, his passing skills or lack of cost them in the national championship game. The kid from Hawaii is pretty much the same guy. Jones is the type qb Bama has won all those championships with, a very accurate passer who may not dazzle you with highlight throws, but will make the throws needed to beat you off of their play action passing game. In my opinion he would make Bama harder to defend, right now crowd the line, sell out to stop their running game and force Hurts to beat you. That's exactly what Clemson did, and still couldn't stop them until Scarborgh broke his leg. This season they will have 2 of those big bruising 230+ RBs.

Will call it right now, Bama opens with FSU, if FSU beats Bama with Hurts and qb Jones will start the 2nd game.\.

Bama may being changing their offense to a dual threat type qb led offense, but in the old Bama offense Jones is the best fit they have on campus now. Hurts is a run first qb, his passing skills or lack of cost them in the national championship game. The kid from Hawaii is pretty much the same guy. Jones is the type qb Bama has won all those championships with, a very accurate passer who may not dazzle you with highlight throws, but will make the throws needed to beat you off of their play action passing game. In my opinion he would make Bama harder to defend, right now crowd the line, sell out to stop their running game and force Hurts to beat you. That's exactly what Clemson did, and still couldn't stop them until Scarborgh broke his leg. This season they will have 2 of those big bruising 230+ RBs.

Will call it right now, Bama opens with FSU, if FSU beats Bama with Hurts and qb Jones will start the 2nd game.\.

With Bama breaking in so many new guys on D I'll be surprised if they beat FSU. Helluva way to start the season.

There is a chance of this happening, especially with the new OC. Get the feeling Saban will not have much patience with the "new way" and advise the new OC to go back to ball control style they used before. And Mac may fit that. Run Run, throw an 8 yard dart to get the first down when needed and get back after it.

The anger at Mac is masking the fact that everywhere he went to camp or work out... he threw a very catchable ball and had great mechanics. The only knock on him was his frame.

Doubt he starts this year because of his build but wouldn't shock me if he was a 4 yrs starter after rs'ing this year. Really just depends on what offense they decide to run. They are still recruiting dt.

The kid loves drama. He'll ride the bench at Bama and transfer in a year or two.

Jones is a good prospect, very talented no doubt. That said I would be shocked to see him start at Bama as a true freshman esp if there are no injuries to other QBs!

With Bama breaking in so many new guys on D I'll be surprised if they beat FSU. Helluva way to start the season.

Good point, they weren't as deep last year as they have been in the past because they didn't rotate like normal. We recruited alot of the same kids Bama did last year and all of the defensive players kept talking about how Bama was selling early playing time on defense. Bama with Saban has always put the more talented team on the field every game, but they have an awful lot of coaching turnover. Lost Kiffin, Napier and I believe Cristabol from the offense this past season, lost Kirby, Tucker and their D line coach who was fired after the 15 season. That's almost an entire staff turnover, at some point it has to have an effect because they have lost 1 or 2 almost every year.

Reactions: mrschwump
I'm worried about our QB situation and whether or not some of our younger WR's can step up. RB's and OL are solid but unless Hurts can actually throw a forward pass then teams will continue to crowd the box.

I don't think the D will be as good but I'm not all that worried about our starters. We returned only 4 full-time starters in 2012 and 2016 and managed to have good units. The DL won't be as good but the starters will be fine and we'll actually have depth unlike last year and should rotate 6-7 guys. However, we only have 2 proven NT's and one proven pass rusher out of our likely 6-7 man rotation. We need to replace 3 starting LB's but Saban has recruited that position better than anybody. Two of the new starters played a lot last year and we had 3 5-star freshman on the 3rd string. We return 3/4 in the secondary, but depth will probably be an issue because we have 6 reserves that will be in either their 1st or 2nd year.

……..if he gets to play at all. May be standing on the sidelines and carrying a clip board for four years.

……..if he gets to play at all. May be standing on the sidelines and carrying a clip board for four years.

If that's the case why would UK want him? UK needs players who can win games, not compete for mop up time. I have no idea what kind of college QB Jones will be but if he can't at least compete for PT at Bama why would UK or anybody else offer?

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
If that's the case why would UK want him? UK needs players who can win games, not compete for mop up time. I have no idea what kind of college QB Jones will be but if he can't at least compete for PT at Bama why would UK or anybody else offer?
Stop with the good logic.

I'm worried about our QB situation and whether or not some of our younger WR's can step up. RB's and OL are solid but unless Hurts can actually throw a forward pass then teams will continue to crowd the box.

I don't think the D will be as good but I'm not all that worried about our starters. We returned only 4 full-time starters in 2012 and 2016 and managed to have good units. The DL won't be as good but the starters will be fine and we'll actually have depth unlike last year and should rotate 6-7 guys. However, we only have 2 proven NT's and one proven pass rusher out of our likely 6-7 man rotation. We need to replace 3 starting LB's but Saban has recruited that position better than anybody. Two of the new starters played a lot last year and we had 3 5-star freshman on the 3rd string. We return 3/4 in the secondary, but depth will probably be an issue because we have 6 reserves that will be in either their 1st or 2nd year.

I don't see any way Bama doesn't put a good defense on the field. This isn't a rag on Bama, but if a team can slow Bama's power game down, alot easier said than done, Bama will have trouble scoring with Hurts at qb. That's how Clemson was able to come back, if Scarbourgh hadn't broke his leg Bama wins by 2 scores. Clemson couldn't get him on the ground, but after he went out, the running game was gone other than Hurts scambles. Do you see Bama making a change there, he is not what Bama has had at qb since Saban got there, not accurate enough, at least thats what I see. Of course other teams have to score and everybody doesn't have Deshawn Watson behind center who has saved his 2 best games of his career for Bama.

He had his chance and decided to go elsewhere. Hope stoops told him to get lost in the most nicest and professional way

I don't see any way Bama doesn't put a good defense on the field. This isn't a rag on Bama, but if a team can slow Bama's power game down, alot easier said than done, Bama will have trouble scoring with Hurts at qb. That's how Clemson was able to come back, if Scarbourgh hadn't broke his leg Bama wins by 2 scores. Clemson couldn't get him on the ground, but after he went out, the running game was gone other than Hurts scambles. Do you see Bama making a change there, he is not what Bama has had at qb since Saban got there, not accurate enough, at least thats what I see. Of course other teams have to score and everybody doesn't have Deshawn Watson behind center who has saved his 2 best games of his career for Bama.
I agree 100%. If he can't show the ability to throw a forward pass then it could be a long year offensively.

"This season they will have 2 of those big bruising 230+ RBs"

Are you telling me Harris has gained 20 pounds? lol

ADVERTISEMENT