ADVERTISEMENT

Lyon County upsets Great Crossing to advance to State Championship

Huge win against a far superior opponent, Cal coach Great Crossing today? Great win by Lyon Co.
Nope, GC has an even shittier coach in Steve Page. He and Cal are both huge douchebags that think they are far smarter than they are. Hopefully GC parts with him after blowing another opportunity.

They should do the class system tournaments for all classes mid season, the way they do A and AA. Those tournaments are great. But nothing better than having a school with nearly 2000 kids going down to one with 300 and now a private Louisville school with 40 kids going against a public Eastern KY school with 900.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
For as much talent as Scott County has (now Great Crossing), they don't have the championships to show for it. They have only won twice. Lost five though.

For as much talent as Scott County has (now Great Crossing), they don't have the championships to show for it. They have only won twice. Lost five though.
You put 3000 kids in a single school, like Scott Co had prior to Great Crossing, you would be good anywhere. Find four public county schools and combine them. I watch a lot of the 10th and 16th region. Take your top 3-4 schools in the 16th and put them together and you are playing for a lot of titles.

School size wise sure but it's not much of an upset. All year long Lyon county has been ranked 2-4 in the state and Great Crossing 1. The big Cinderella story is if Harlan makes the final. They haven't been top 10 and would be a good story.

Reactions: Mike-D
The way to solve this is to bar private schools from competing in the Sweet Sixteen. Hold a separate tourney for privates to prevent lawsuits if you have to. But, there is no way private schools that actively recruit should be allowed to compete against schools with different rules governing who can play.
Only other option is to allow everyone to play by the same rules. In other words, allow recruiting. But, that truly would be a mess!

Reactions: FtWorthCat
Lyon County has a chance to do something that has rarely been done tonight when they face the other semi-final opponent. I hope it's Harlan County, I'm not a fan of private schools playing public schools for state championships, to each his own though. Talking about big schools with large enrollments, when Christian County and Hopkinsville consolidate, when it happens, they could/should be a juggernaut in every sport. Both have always ruled the second region in basketball. This would be one of the biggest schools in the state with all kinds of talent, if the right coach can come in and keep things together. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

School size wise sure but it's not much of an upset. All year long Lyon county has been ranked 2-4 in the state and Great Crossing 1. The big Cinderella story is if Harlan makes the final. They haven't been top 10 and would be a good story.
They have been in the Top 10 and even the top 5 in some polls depending on which you look at. I think they finished around 12 before the tournament.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
The way to solve this is to bar private schools from competing in the Sweet Sixteen. Hold a separate tourney for privates to prevent lawsuits if you have to. But, there is no way private schools that actively recruit should be allowed to compete against schools with different rules governing who can play.
Only other option is to allow everyone to play by the same rules. In other words, allow recruiting. But, that truly would be a mess!
This is what TN does.
Granted they have a lot more private schools but it's doable in KY.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
A lot of your public schools recruit now too. Georgetown schools are notorious for it. Toyota helps them a lot.

Reactions: gojvc
Other states have a private school championship separate.

Reactions: katwest
Lyon County has a chance to do something that has rarely been done tonight when they face the other semi-final opponent. I hope it's Harlan County, I'm not a fan of private schools playing public schools for state championships, to each his own though. Talking about big schools with large enrollments, when Christian County and Hopkinsville consolidate, when it happens, they could/should be a juggernaut in every sport. Both have always ruled the second region in basketball. This would be one of the biggest schools in the state with all kinds of talent, if the right coach can come in and keep things together. It will be interesting to see how this works out.
I grew up in the Second Region (Union County) but have lived away from there for many years now. Is there really a plan to consolidate Christian County / Hoptown HS? Wowser from an athletics perspective if that were to happen.

I grew up in the Second Region (Union County) but have lived away from there for many years now. Is there really a plan to consolidate Christian County / Hoptown HS? Wowser from an athletics perspective if that were to happen.
Yes, it's already been decided and a new school is to be built close to the stadium of champions, the last I heard it would be another year or two before everything is done.

I'm also from there and yes they are consolidating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT