ADVERTISEMENT

Lynn Bowden Opening Eyes In Kentucky's Spring Camp

With Chuck Walker gone now, I have to think Bowden inherits the punt returning duties. With Juice gone, Bowden should be the starter in the slot. In 2017, Bowden caught 17 passes. I would think that number will triple in 2018.
Will we throw that many passes? Remember we have to establish that ball control running attack.

Will we throw that many passes? Remember we have to establish that ball control running attack.

Man, you’re relentless with this crap. I’d expect us to open up a little more as long as we have a healthy QB to do it. We were limited last year and the ground game was our best option to stay in the game especially with our dline. We had to shorten the game and Benny was the best way to do it.

Man, you’re relentless with this crap. I’d expect us to open up a little more as long as we have a healthy QB to do it. We were limited last year and the ground game was our best option to stay in the game especially with our dline. We had to shorten the game and Benny was the best way to do it.

Hey, he has to keep it up, it is a long hard road to getting Stoops fired.

I'd say we can count on "slinging it around" at least 2 or 3 times a game.

Yeah, but won't all three of those passes be off a double reverse?

But I have heard they are working on a triple reverse.

Well yeah, IF we don't have very strong QB passing all year, and if NEITHER of our very good prospects emerge as a viable SEC passer. Our QB should have a lot of help this year.

And I think our OC has adapted to the talent available pretty well so far, I think a better passing attack leads to even more yards by Snell this year, and almost certainly a better YPC.

Don't you?

Many of our snaps last season with SJ were read option. If Hoak ends up with the job, as has been the speculation, that won't be nearly as much of the offense. It'll probably be more traditional hand offs and stepping up in the pocket passing.

Reactions: jauk11
Could easily be the case for UK too, I just don't know much about the last 20 years of OL play at UK. We return 4 starters and a 5th who started first 8 games in 17 from a pretty good OL last year, and was our best since Donnan was there.

Well I think probably one of our best was the one in 07 where the five starters averaged LESS than a 5.3 as recruits (best one was a 5.1), now if you can tell me the time Georgia's OL averaged less than a three star in the past 20 years we can talk. But they didn't have those ratings when Couch was here and it was a lot harder to follow UK football, no internet for me.

I still think Brooks worked absolute miracles when he was here, and not many would have done as well as he did with his support.

Last edited:
Many of our snaps last season with SJ were read option. If Hoak ends up with the job, as has been the speculation, that won't be nearly as much of the offense. It'll probably be more traditional hand offs and stepping up in the pocket passing.
Nice summary there of the decision facing Eddie Gran and Darin Hinshaw. If they pick Hoak, they can go pro style and rebalance the offense that way, but it’s going to place a lot of responsibility on Michael Smith and his receivers. If they pick Wilson, they spread the field and use the same offense they used for SJ. But Wilson will have to learn the offense quickly, improve his accuracy, and avoid making game-changing mistakes. Hoak has been here for 2 years, and he is accurate. I suspect Gran’s instinct will be to lean toward starting Hoak while keeping him on a short leash. Having Hinshaw, Hoak, Wilson, Clark is not a bad position to be in.

...I’d expect us to open up a little more as long as we have a healthy QB to do it. We were limited last year and the ground game was our best option to stay in the game especially with our dline. We had to shorten the game and Benny was the best way to do it.
So would I. But while not to the point of the thread (i.e., Lynn Bowden) you raise an interesting question.

It's water under the bridge now but IF Johnson was "hurt" to the point it compromised the passing game, why didn't we see Hoak more last season? Hoak would have certainly been capable of handing the ball off to Snell and just might have given some help in the passing game.

I can only conclude, for whatever reasons, the staff preferred a less than 100% Johnson over a 100% Hoak. Does that make JUCO transfer Wilson a sure fire starter at QB this year? To that question, have we heard any early reports from spring practice?

Peace

So would I. But while not to the point of the thread (i.e., Lynn Bowden) you raise an interesting question.

It's water under the bridge now but IF Johnson was "hurt" to the point it compromised the passing game, why didn't we see Hoak more last season? Hoak would have certainly been capable of handing the ball off to Snell and just might have given some help in the passing game.

I can only conclude, for whatever reasons, the staff preferred a less than 100% Johnson over a 100% Hoak. Does that make JUCO transfer Wilson a sure fire starter at QB this year? To that question, have we heard any early reports from spring practice?

Peace
Much as I've wondered. What I've read somewhere is that Hoak was initially taking 1 Team reps due to his (much) better O knowledge.

Well, they prefered a 100% Barker over a less than 100% Johnson, for a few snaps, last season and bowl game.
Ahh, Drew Barker! I had already forgotten he was "available" last season! Change "Hoak" to "Barker/Hoak" in my earlier post! :cool:

Peace

Yeah, but won't all three of those passes be off a double reverse?

But I have heard they are working on a triple reverse.
At least not a Hal Mumme high school triple reverse pass. But then that may have been the better

I heard a lot of RPO talk in recruiting. There's nothing anywhere that says a coach can't rotate quarterbacks based on efficiency. Georgia used to do that quite a bit years ago, and it didn't hurt Alabama in the title game. The line has to be able to pass block to make a drop back guy effective, and honestly I don't know if our line is up to that. Of course, a QB that makes quick reads and has a quick release could help there as well.

Peace

It does raise questions doesn't it, hard to explain after his showing in BOTH of the spring games we saw him in.

As far as any real info from spring practice goes, forget it, a lot of it is rocket science the average fan wouldn't understand anyway.

Peace

Maybe not the theme of the thread but I was responding to a question in another post. You also use the term “we” which confuses me.

Maybe not the theme of the thread but I was responding to a question in another post. You also use the term “we” which confuses me.

Well he does claim to be a fan of both programs, although he seems to have drifted over to the evil side with their recent success. Certainly a big football fan that has researched it a lot, and has volunteered to coach youth football, etc, and I think he has to have despised some of the tactics that has led to City Colleges success, while still enjoying that success. I know he was at the U game where we both admired George Mira's incredible arm strength, and were both at the game where Larry Seiple tucked the ball away and went on his famous run, and both were at old Stoll Field so we were only separated by about 30,000 fans, almost next to each other.

As I said, the issue of QBs and the "QB situation" relative to the offense last year (and more importantly, this year) is a good question. I believe I brought the same subject up once before and there was little fan response to the question that time as well.

Expressed another way the question is: "Will the Cats have a better passing game this year"? Regarding that question, the passing game has 3 components (protect, pass and catch) but it pretty much starts with the passer.

And yes, the pronoun "we" includes the speaker/writer but also includes "others", including people in general. The point being "we" is not limited to just face painting fans. [laughing]

I know he was at the U game where we both admired George Mira's incredible arm strength, and were both at the game where Larry Seiple tucked the ball away and went on his famous run, and both were at old Stoll Field so we were only separated by about 30,000 fans, almost next to each other.

I would have texted you but I had not invented that yet. :p

Peace

As I said, the issue of QBs and the "QB situation" relative to the offense last year (and more importantly, this year) is a good question. I believe I brought the same subject up once before and there was little fan response to the question that time as well.

Expressed another way the question is: "Will the Cats have a better passing game this year"? Regarding that question, the passing game has 3 components (protect, pass and catch) but it pretty much starts with the passer.

And yes, the pronoun "we" includes the speaker/writer but also includes "others", including people in general. The point being "we" is not limited to just face painting fans. [laughing]

I would have texted you but I had not invented that yet. :p

Peace

That's OK, you probably would have gotten mad when I didn't reply.

The guy who ends every post with “Peace” gets mad?

I used to be an official, I will bet he got mad at them a lot, (probably not as bad as some, and probably some deserved), probably even got mad at first when he left his overweight tackle on the end of the line. Sounds like he was able to laugh at it later though.

Ok so I'll play. IMO it is not a surprise that an injured SJ was a better option than DB or GH and not due to their lack of ability, instead due to our approach. Our only way to win was ball security. Our best option was to control the ball with our superior run game. I understand few teams can wn while losing the turnover battle. However, most teams wouldn't require such a dramatic change in approach to have back up qb success.

For DB or GH to be successful our line play would need to change and getting passing reps reduces the running reps and would affect the strongest feature of our offense. Our staff made a decision from the start that this was our best option and to veer from it would cost us. You could argue that back ups can not run that system well but it doesn't follow that they can't be successful. In addition to revamping the line play our receivers would also have a change in approach from being outstanding blockers to outstanding at getting open and catching the ball which are both skills that they would rank lower in than their blocking if I were grading them.

It was clear to me when Drew went down that our o had a reversal of approach under SJ. It took time for change of approach that could work to his strengths and each game he got better.

The margin for error is small for success in the SEC. One could blame the coaches for recruiting such opposite type qb but I would argue they found the best available talent in the off season to win with when they found themselves in that spot.

We shall soon see and just as I was critical of DB critics based on 20 passes I will call out GH or TW critics bases on 0 plays. I predict a different offensive approach under either one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT