ADVERTISEMENT

Lynn Bowden Jr.

Was fun to watch.
Agree. People may not realize that Eddie Gran studied Navy and their QB at the time, Malcom Perry, and adopted much of Navy's offense for Bowden. Perry, BTW, ran for over 2000 yards in '19 leading the NCAA. Perry hails from Hopkinsville, KY. It saved UK from what could have been a disastrous season. That was the epitome of "coaching."

I would like to see Dallas get him or the Bengals, Browns. You would think he lands on his feet somewhere and if not the NFL then XFL USFL maybe even the CFL would be a no brainer.

I’m curious why he keeps getting cut? I thought he’d pan out but maybe it’s off the field issues? He clearly has the talent to produce.

I’m curious why he keeps getting cut? I thought he’d pan out but maybe it’s off the field issues? He clearly has the talent to produce.
If he had off the field issues he would nit have lasted beyond 1 team. the magical 2019 season harmed his personal development into a professional wide reciever that he never recovered from.

Still can't believe the morons running the Raiders Mayock & Gruden thought he could be an NFL running back.

If he had off the field issues he would nit have lasted beyond 1 team. the magical 2019 season harmed his personal development into a professional wide reciever that he never recovered from.

Still can't believe the morons running the Raiders Mayock & Gruden thought he could be an NFL running back.
That's a good point. That year he didn't get to work on his route tree at all.

Didn’t they trade him before the season started? I was thinking he didn’t make it but a couple of months there,

Didn’t they trade him before the season started? I was thinking he didn’t make it but a couple of months there,
I think you’re right, but that first camp I’ve always heard is critical for rookies. I could see it especially being true for a dude the raiders were asking to be playing his third position in a year.

Reactions: jeffries123
Not every receiver needs to run a 4.3, but isn't speed the other thing Lynn has always struggled with? He always had great vision and body control with the ball in his hands, but except when running against hapless defenses like Louisville's he basically was always caught on runs, even with tons of space. I assume that doesn't bode well for going up against elite athletes every single snap. Wish the best for him though, he is an amazing athletic specimen regardless of what happens with his NFL career. Heck maybe an XFL career could work if he wants it.

Reactions: mrschwump
Not every receiver needs to run a 4.3, but isn't speed the other thing Lynn has always struggled with? He always had great vision and body control with the ball in his hands, but except when running against hapless defenses like Louisville's he basically was always caught on runs, even with tons of space. I assume that doesn't bode well for going up against elite athletes every single snap. Wish the best for him though, he is an amazing athletic specimen regardless of what happens with his NFL career. Heck maybe an XFL career could work if he wants it.
You're right, lack of top end speed was a draw back for Bowden. Still, there's opportunities for him if he wishes to continue chasing his dream.

He’s had a really hard time hanging on to a team. Maybe he can camp with a new team and find a spot.
I've always felt that it would be hard for him to have even a decent NFL career. I never felt like he was fast enough or strong enough to carve out a role. Most guys his size, you better be a damned good route runner and have extremely good hands. I sure want him to succeed though. Absolutely loved his time as a Wildcat.

I was hoping he'd turn into a Hunter Renfroe type of receiver: canny, gets open, catches everything and, if he can break a tackle, turn 3 yards into 23. Just hasn't caught on yet. Certainly, playing QB in college did not help his development as a WR nor did the pitiful passing attack we had even before he was pressed into duty as a QB.

Reactions: BC_Wader
Eddie Gran got a bad rep from some of our fans. Don't think I've ever seen an OC who can just totally go away from his scheme to put our guys in the best position to succeed. It truly was a remarkable achievement.
Eddie drastically changed his entire offensive scheme in the middle of the season and ran the new one successfully. I don't know that I've ever seen a better job by an offensive coordinator ever. Course it also helped that you couldn't tackle Bowden in a phone booth.

Eddie got stuck with a run heavy offense because of the Drew Barker injury and some really bad luck recruiting QBs, but I still say he's one of the better OC's UK has ever had.

I thought he should have come back for his senior year to work at wide receiver some more. It would have better prepared him. He could have gotten an extra Covid year and then if he wanted to, he could have played with Levis and under Coen his 6th year. That's a lot to ask though.

Reactions: Littlefeller
He’s had a really hard time hanging on to a team. Maybe he can camp with a new team and find a spot.
injuries hurt him. He was starting to show signs of life in Miami before he got hurt. Hasn't recovered since. I hope he gets a shot too, else he's moving on to the XFL, USFL.

He might be well served by a couple of years on a CFL roster. I think it would showcase him better than the Spring leagues in the States. Plus, if he doesn't get plucked by an NFL franchise, he can make a career in a league with some staying power. He needs to chat with Anwar Stewart. I guess the fear is that injury has robbed him of too much juice.

Reactions: The-Hack
He has below average hands and when you're a slot WR....you have the catch the balls that hit your catch radius. And I'd bet his route running is not what a NFL slot WR needs to be. You have to hit a hole in gaps on D at a certain time as the ball is thrown to an area many times. Dudes that sort of run their routes sloppy turn into Ints as they are not where they are supposed to be.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Not every high school star is successful at the highest collegiate level.
Not every collegiate star is successful at the highest professional level.
These things are obvious to all and a surprise to no one.
Unfortunately, this may be the case with LBJ.
Still, though, he may have time to find a workable situation.
Good Luck to him ... !!

Last edited:
Reactions: dvillecatfan
Eddie drastically changed his entire offensive scheme in the middle of the season and ran the new one successfully. I don't know that I've ever seen a better job by an offensive coordinator ever. Course it also helped that you couldn't tackle Bowden in a phone booth.

Eddie got stuck with a run heavy offense because of the Drew Barker injury and some really bad luck recruiting QBs, but I still say he's one of the better OC's UK has ever had.
Eddie is as good a run game coordinator as there is. Due to whatever reasons his passing game just couldn’t take off here. What’s crazy is Cincinnati threw it all over the place with him at the helm.

I hope he finds a place for him in the NFL. If not at least there is the USFL and XFL so he can probably get a gig on a team there.

When he was replaced his WR room was lacking as well. That can probably be attributed to his lack of good QB options too. I hated their strategy of going all in for one QB each cycle
I dont think Stoops took offense as seriously as he did the defense. The hiring of Coen shows that hes changed in that regard though thankfully.

I dont think Stoops took offense as seriously as he did the defense. The hiring of Coen shows that hes changed in that regard though thankfully.
I feel like that’s true too. I believe Gran ran an offense Stoops was comfortable with and wanted. I think offensive recruiting was taking a big dip and Stoops realized he had to change and Gran was the sacrificial lamb. You couldn’t recruit better offensive players with the same OC. There had to be a change for recruiting purposes and Stoops let Eddie set out for awhile then brought him back in in his current role. If that makes sense?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT